FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adding larger clip to smaller timeline

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryan Mullennix
Adding larger clip to smaller timeline
on Nov 18, 2013 at 6:22:09 pm

Hi all,

I'm having a problem where when I add a larger clip (3861x2574) to a smaller project (3840x2160) the clip is shrunk to fit completely within the projects properties. At this point the scale in the transform section says it's at 100%. When I use transform to scale up the clip I have to go to about 120% to fill the frame and the resulting image quality is degraded.

When I'm adding a larger clip to a smaller project shouldn't I have to scale it down to fit rather than up? Is there a way to add this clip to the timeline without it being automatically scaled down? I would expect when adding the clip that even if it was scaled to fit entirely within the project parameters that the scale % in transform section would read 80% or thereabouts and I could scale back up to 100% to fill the frame.

Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
Re: Adding larger clip to smaller timeline
on Nov 18, 2013 at 7:01:25 pm

Select the clip and in the Inspector > Video tab set Spatial Conform to None. Now your clip will not be downscaled to match the Project frame size.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Bryan Mullennix
on Nov 18, 2013 at 7:04:42 pm

Aahh that's it! Simple solution that I did not know about. Thank you so much!

Return to posts index

Stephen Underwood
on Nov 20, 2013 at 5:29:03 pm

Thanks for the 'spatial conform' tip. Another question...

I have a 1920x1080 timeline (created by dragging a 5D clip) that I then dragged GoPro 1920x1440 clips into. I then "Crop>KenBurns" to position them vertically, cropping off parts of top or bottom of clip or panning up/dn w/Burns effect. Is that the best workflow to retain highest quality of the GoPro clips?

And another... In creating a new "GoPro Only" timeline by dragging in a 1920x1440 clip (but wanted to crop all clips vertically to end up with a 1920x1080p movie, what's the correct method in that case?

I'd appreciate any advice... Thanks!

~ Steve Underwood

Computer: iMac 27", (Mid 2011), OS X 10.7.5
Processor: 3.4GHz, Intel Core i7, Memory: 24GB
AMD Radeon HD 697OM, FCX 10.08, FCP 7.03
Pegasus 4TB RAID

Computer: MacBookPro (Mid 2009), OS X 10.7.5
Processor: 3.06 GHz Intel Core2Duo, Memory: 4 GB
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, Software: FCX 10.08, FCP 7.03

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved