FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hit Film

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Mathis
Hit Film
on Nov 18, 2013 at 1:43:36 am

Just noticed that Hit Film is available for Mac, or should be soon. Any thoughts? Looks promising and the price seems to be reasonable.

Return to posts index

Al LeVine
Re: Hit Film
on Nov 18, 2013 at 4:13:14 am

Just gave it a quick try. Seems to be a VERY basic editor (limited audio, limited editing functions, total lack of key commands -- iMovie has more going for it in editorial), but the other concepts involved -- how everything is built in, make it really interesting...
I do like the interface a lot. Simple, clean... sort of a mashup of Avid on Mac and FCP 7.

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Nov 18, 2013 at 11:21:05 am

[Al LeVine] "sort of a mashup of Avid on Mac and FCP 7."

I think you meant to say "Adobe"

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Nov 18, 2013 at 5:33:48 pm

[Dennis Radeke] "I think you meant to say "Adobe""

It looks to me more like a hybrid of Premiere Pro and After Effects with one key difference -- you own a copy. :-)

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Nov 18, 2013 at 5:39:43 pm

[David Mathis] "[Dennis Radeke] "I think you meant to say "Adobe""

It looks to me more like a hybrid of Premiere Pro and After Effects with one key difference -- you own a copy. :-)
"

Zing!

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Nov 18, 2013 at 6:53:28 pm

[David Mathis] "It looks to me more like a hybrid of Premiere Pro and After Effects with one key difference -- you own a copy. :-)"

Well that... and it doesn't have a plugin architecture, a scripting engine or an expressions engine. Jokes aside, the 2D/3D tracking, the renderer, the particle engine and built in effects are actually very good (IMO)... not to mention that it can import 3D models. If it were a more open application with plugins and scripting, worked in different color spaces (in high bit depths), handled more professional file formats (DPX, OpenEXR, cDNG, .rd3), and had XML import and export, this package would be really hard to beat for anything under 5k.

Shawn

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Nov 18, 2013 at 7:20:13 pm

[Shawn Miller] "

Well that... and it doesn't have a plugin architecture, a scripting engine or an expressions engine."

Perhaps they will add those features in somewhere down the road. I came across a video comparing Hit Film with After Effects and thought it was very insightful.

Looks like we now have some healthy competition.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Nov 18, 2013 at 7:39:32 pm

[David Mathis] "[Shawn Miller] "

Well that... and it doesn't have a plugin architecture, a scripting engine or an expressions engine."

Perhaps they will add those features in somewhere down the road. I came across a video comparing Hit Film with After Effects and thought it was very insightful."

Maybe, although the folks at HF have been pretty adamant from the beginning that they're not interested in providing plugin support. Who knows though, that may change with user demand.

[David Mathis]"Looks like we now have some healthy competition."

I'm not sure I agree... I think HF has some great features and some great technology under the hood. But, I don't think it will be a real competitor until it addresses a few gaps in the feature set... namely DPX/raw/OpenEXR import and better colorspace/high bit depth handling. Otherwise I do like what those guys are doing, and I'm hoping they're working to address some of those issues.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Bernhard Grininger
on Nov 19, 2013 at 12:30:55 pm

[Shawn Miller] "worked in different color spaces (in high bit depths)"

HitFilm internally processes at 16bit color precision already.
Problem: at the moment you will only get 8bit out of it when exporting a video;
but it is said (in the forums) that this will be addressed in the near future.

Of course, 100% 32bit float would be fine,
as well as high-end scaling and optical flow for speed changes and de-interlacing...

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Nov 19, 2013 at 7:38:24 pm

[Bernhard Grininger] "[Shawn Miller] "worked in different color spaces (in high bit depths)"

HitFilm internally processes at 16bit color precision already.
Problem: at the moment you will only get 8bit out of it when exporting a video;
but it is said (in the forums) that this will be addressed in the near future."

That's definitely a step forward then. I thought they were 8bit all the way through the pipeline. Still, it would be nice to choose between 8, 16 and 32bpc... and of course, output to whichever bit depth required.

[Bernhard Grininger] "Of course, 100% 32bit float would be fine,
as well as high-end scaling and optical flow for speed changes and de-interlacing..."

Absolutely, along with the ability to work in linear and use 3D lookup tables! :-)

I think those guys are doing some good work, and I'm really pulling for them. And though I'm much more interested in Mamba at the moment... I'm looking at HF and wondering if it will become more of a competitor to Smoke than AE. I also wonder if HF is going to be able to shed its image as a tool for fan filmmakers, and cross over into professional production work. I certainly hope it will.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Bernhard Grininger
on Nov 20, 2013 at 6:18:52 pm

[Shawn Miller] "I think those guys are doing some good work, and I'm really pulling for them."

Absolutely agreed!
IMO, HitFilm (as like as Clarisse iFX) is a new generation of hybrid apps
that will replace compositing and 3D-packages on the long run.

[Shawn Miller] " I'm much more interested in Mamba at the moment"

I'm on OSX, so have no chance to test Mamba.
How is the scaling? The typically silly Bicubic we get everywhere,
or an edge-adaptive Lanczos?

Bernhard

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Nov 20, 2013 at 6:51:49 pm
Last Edited By Shawn Miller on Nov 20, 2013 at 6:52:53 pm

[Bernhard Grininger] "[Shawn Miller] "I think those guys are doing some good work, and I'm really pulling for them."

Absolutely agreed!
IMO, HitFilm (as like as Clarisse iFX) is a new generation of hybrid apps
that will replace compositing and 3D-packages on the long run."

You may be onto something here. I'm actually surprised at how robust the roto and composting tools have become in Blender.

http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15381

[Bernhard Grininger] "[Shawn Miller] " I'm much more interested in Mamba at the moment"

I'm on OSX, so have no chance to test Mamba.
How is the scaling? The typically silly Bicubic we get everywhere,
or an edge-adaptive Lanczos?

Bernhard"

I'm hoping that Mamba goes cross platform at some point. I've always felt that good software thrives where there is good competition and wide availability. I don't know about the scaling algorithms in Mamba, I've mostly been trying to get a ground level understanding of its operations. So far, I really like it. It's inexpensive and familiar enough that I can seriously consider using it for certain tasks.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Bernhard Grininger
on Nov 20, 2013 at 7:30:03 pm

[Shawn Miller] "I'm actually surprised at how robust the roto and composting tools have become in Blender."

Blender is great under the hood.
But it would be a killer-app if someone would turn it into this here:
http://www.blenderguru.com/new-blender-ui-proposal/
:-)

Bernhard

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Nov 20, 2013 at 8:12:15 pm

[Bernhard Grininger] "[Shawn Miller] "I'm actually surprised at how robust the roto and composting tools have become in Blender."

Blender is great under the hood.
But it would be a killer-app if someone would turn it into this here:
http://www.blenderguru.com/new-blender-ui-proposal/
:-)

Bernhard"

Agreed, there are a lot of good suggestions there! :-)

Shawn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]