FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX and analog video.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Clint Wardlow
FCPX and analog video.
on Nov 13, 2013 at 6:21:02 pm

I am curious if anyone has used FCPX with older analog video. The reason I ask is that I have come into possession of boxes of old VHS and Betacam video we shot in the late 80s and early 90s.

I am going to be digitizing these old films (raw and edited footage). The main work will be cleaning up the image and audio -- nothing too complex with very little re-editing.

I will be upgrading my system in the next month and plan to add FCPX to my arsenal. I currently am using FCP 7 and PPRO. However with the amount of video and the fix-it nature of what I am doing, I am wondering if FCPX might be the better choice. My real concern about FCPX is that it may not play well with older source material.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Clint Wardlow
Re: FCPX and analog video.
on Nov 13, 2013 at 7:12:34 pm

I should note my standard practice in dealing with analog video is to convert it to DV (I know this isn't the greatest method but generally works for what I do).

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 13, 2013 at 8:06:27 pm

Is that .dv or .mov with a dv codec?

If .mov, FCPX is fine.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Nov 13, 2013 at 8:13:28 pm
Last Edited By Gary Huff on Nov 13, 2013 at 8:13:58 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] " Is that .dv or .mov with a dv codec?"

Will FCPX take in .dv or DV .avi and re-wrap it? I found out yesterday that it won't accept HDV files in the MPEG-2 Transport Stream container.

I will have to use Premiere CC to do that for me.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 13, 2013 at 8:51:02 pm

[Gary Huff] "Will FCPX take in .dv or DV .avi and re-wrap it? "

AVI is difficult on Macs, and FCPX cannot read native transport streams without a file structure.

a .dv movie can be used natively, and cannot be optimized, so FCPX thinks it's fine.

it's just that .dv does weird things in other apps, best to stick with .mov at least in my experience.

Return to posts index

Clint Wardlow
on Nov 13, 2013 at 8:38:21 pm

Well, I do have options. I have an old Canopus converter that creates .mov files. I can also use my old Sony HDR-FX1 which records to a miniDV tape. I also recently purchased a Roxio converter but it is crap frankly. I prefer the Sony as it gives more consistent results, but is a pain because it is a much longer process (analog tape to miniDV tape to capture computer.

My other concern is both the Canopus and Sony use firewire and are EOL. I'm not sure they have updated drivers for Thunderbolt. However, that probably won't be a problem because I am keeping my old 27' imac.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 13, 2013 at 8:59:28 pm

[Clint Wardlow] "I have an old Canopus converter that creates .mov files."

Just be sure it does, in fact, create .movs

I, very recently, had nearly 4TBs of material handed to me that was .dv from a Canopus and it was an awful experience.

We ended up securing all source tapes (old archival stuff like you are talking about) and had them all recaptured to ProRes for a pretty penny.

Whoever did the original captures, really screwed up the footage to unusable, so be careful if you are going to take the time to do this, and do it right the first time.

What's nice about going to tape, is at least you'll have the dv tapes as backup.

I have never captured DV in FCPX, so I don't know if it works. Supposedly, it does.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]