FORUMS: list search recent posts

This forum's threads are getting corrupted

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Herb Sevush
This forum's threads are getting corrupted
on Nov 12, 2013 at 7:58:44 pm

The new thread "Why Manuela returned to FCP after loving Premiere Pro CS6?" in not showing the postings being written to it. I'm still getting them sent to my e-mail, but they are not showing up on the thread. The same thing has happened to at least 2 other recent threads. Someone needs to fix this.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
Re: This forum's threads are getting corrupted
on Nov 12, 2013 at 8:03:49 pm

They are showing up fine on my system

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Nov 12, 2013 at 8:14:21 pm

[Steve Connor] "They are showing up fine on my system"

How many posts do you see in that thread. I see 7, but I have had at least 10 sent to my e-mail.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Nov 12, 2013 at 8:18:31 pm

[Herb Sevush] "How many posts do you see in that thread. I see 7, but I have had at least 10 sent to my e-mail."

Herb,

I see 7 also including the original post. I did have problems though a few days ago with the "Winning Awards With Final Cut Pro X at Tech TV" thread said it had over 60 posts, but I only saw 4 of them.

Dave

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Nov 12, 2013 at 8:20:27 pm

[Dave Gage] "I see 7 also including the original post. I did have problems though a few days ago with the "Winning Awards With Final Cut Pro X at Tech TV" thread said it had over 60 posts, but I only saw 4 of them."

This is the same problem as on that other thread, only I'm catching it now as it's happening.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Nov 12, 2013 at 8:23:20 pm

I see 7 as well.

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Nov 12, 2013 at 8:24:25 pm

[Steve Connor] "I see 7 as well."

Try posting something new to the Manuela thread. I just tried and nothing got posted.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Nov 12, 2013 at 8:28:49 pm

I see 9 (and dead people!)

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Nov 12, 2013 at 9:25:05 pm

Just reading the subject line I thought you were commenting about the quality of people in the forum, Herb. lol

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Nov 12, 2013 at 9:29:34 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "Just reading the subject line I thought you were commenting about the quality of people in the forum"

That wasn't my intent, but what can i say - Freudian slip?

By the way the thread in question now seems to be OK, but there are still some missing posts from a few hours ago.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 12, 2013 at 10:12:09 pm

They might be in the Speedgrage forum. There are speedgrade, Premiere, and Resolve threads there that occur also on the correct forums. In fact you can be surfing a thread on the SpeedGrade forum, only to discover you've been transpoted to Premiere.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Nov 12, 2013 at 10:14:36 pm

[Bret Williams] "In fact you can be surfing a thread on the SpeedGrade forum, only to discover you've been transpoted to Premiere."/I>

I assume some one has anyone informed Cow central about this. Sounds like there might be some down time in our future.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Nov 13, 2013 at 2:30:37 am

I assume your tried refresh of page with missing posts? I have seen this type of behavior more and more in various apps on different machines. Wondering if it has something to do with updates to the OS. Missing data and then things reappear. no obvious pattern.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Nov 13, 2013 at 2:45:48 am

[Craig Alan] "I assume your tried refresh of page with missing posts? I have seen this type of behavior more and more in various apps on different machines. Wondering if it has something to do with updates to the OS. Missing data and then things reappear. no obvious pattern."

It's not just happening to one machine. The Cow tech people are aware of it happening on one thread at least, but it has now happened on at least one more. Nothing is reappearing, gone is gone. If you are set up to receive emails of the posts you will have them but the posts will not be posted here, if you click on the posts in your email they Cow says they are missing.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Nov 12, 2013 at 10:16:07 pm

[Bret Williams] "They might be in the Speedgrage forum. There are speedgrade, Premiere, and Resolve threads there that occur also on the correct forums. In fact you can be surfing a thread on the SpeedGrade forum, only to discover you've been transpoted to Premiere."

I think that a few of the forums here are like smart collections that show threads from across the COW based on keywords.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 12, 2013 at 10:17:43 pm

So now this will show up there and the corruption will come full circle.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 13, 2013 at 3:12:23 am

Yep.

If a post gets deleted, all responses to that post are also deleted.

So, someone keeps deleting their own posts.

Connor, my money is on you.

Soyka, you're a suspect as well.

Nyuk nyuk nyuk

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Nov 13, 2013 at 3:23:26 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "Soyka, you're a suspect as well."

I've got a pretty good alibi -- I'm way too fond of the sound of my own voice to ever delete one of my own posts :)

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 13, 2013 at 4:47:08 pm

[Walter Soyka] "I've got a pretty good alibi -- I'm way too fond of the sound of my own voice to ever delete one of my own posts :)"

So, you read all your posts aloud to yourself?

I think I have to try this.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Nov 13, 2013 at 5:08:20 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "So, you read all your posts aloud to yourself? I think I have to try this."

Really, I should hire Bill Davis to read them aloud for me. What a voice!

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Nov 13, 2013 at 5:22:22 pm

[Walter Soyka] "[Jeremy Garchow] "So, you read all your posts aloud to yourself? I think I have to try this."

Really, I should hire Bill Davis to read them aloud for me. What a voice!"

Totally agree, Bill's work is impressive... what I really want to know though, is who's going to read Aindreas' rants? Can Simon Ubsdell do a proper Irish dialect? :-)

Shawn

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 13, 2013 at 3:28:30 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "Yep.

If a post gets deleted, all responses to that post are also deleted.

So, someone keeps deleting their own posts.

Connor, my money is on you.

Soyka, you're a suspect as well.

Nyuk nyuk nyuk"

WHAT? WHAT! --- if you say something remarkably stupid here you can go back and DELETE it?

*** NOW YOU TELL ME THIS??!! ***

Nobody wanted to share this pearl of wisdom with me over the past two years?

Sheesh.

Thanks a lot, guys.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Nov 13, 2013 at 2:12:33 pm

[Bill Davis] "WHAT? WHAT! --- if you say something remarkably stupid here you can go back and DELETE it?"

You have to realize it's stupid first, Bill. :-p

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 13, 2013 at 3:05:10 am

This is a test. I am going to delete it.

Return to posts index

Paul Dickin
on Nov 13, 2013 at 10:48:31 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "This is a test. I am going to delete it.
"

Hi
Gone from the thread navigation below each post.
Still there on the main View posts by Newest Posts (Date) list page.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 13, 2013 at 11:35:42 am

And your post doesn't show up either, Paul.

Good sleuthing!

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Nov 13, 2013 at 6:08:09 am

I have noticed this as well and this is not the only forum experiencing this. Could this be browser related?

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Nov 13, 2013 at 5:53:14 pm

Okay, there are two things going on, and there are a couple of threads where they've converged to make a bit of a mess. Three quick points, and two questions for you.

First, we recently added a Delete button for posts. This is actually a requirement in some countries, and in fact, we've had folks from 200 different nations and territories visit us in the last year.

As it stands now, deleting a post deletes replies to it as well. Do you think it would be better if that wasn't the case?

Second, there are folks in the COW and its predecessor community who've been with us for over 15 years now. We'd heard quite a few complaints over the years that seeing the same questions coming up again and again was making them disinclined to keep participating. We created a feature called Hide Newbie Posts that's on the first page of your account settings.

The default is to have that setting On, meaning, you will of course see your own posts and responses to it, but a combination of the age of an account and keywords in the post lead to certain kinds of posts becoming deprioritized.

It appears to have been working, because we're no longer getting complaints about newbies, and nobody is complaining that their questions aren't getting answered.

We talk about this among ourselves regularly, whether Hide Newbie Posts should be On or Off as its default. Since it's unlikely that most people know that it exists at all, getting this right is a pretty big deal.

SOOOOOO....do you think everyone should see every post by default? And make them DECIDE to block some automatically? My GUESS is that most people would prefer the default to be OFF, because most of the people here are generally interested in helping other people....but that's me. What about you?

In any case, the choice belongs on the settings page -- but how do we draw people's attention to this feature? It's pretty easy for new members, because they're seeing the settings page. But some of the older members we created this feature for haven't been to their profile pages for a decade or more. Was making the choice for them the right call?

Anyway, those are my questions. How should we handle post deletions, and how should we handle hiding newbie posts? Because right now, yeah, on a couple of threads, it looks pretty messy to have all those holes.

My third point is that, with over 1000 posts a day in the COW, I don't get to see too many threads myself, and I almost never get to read them closely enough to see that there are gaps. I absolutely rely on you contacting me directly, or going to the Letters To The COW Team forum to put these issues where I can see them. I'm only on this thread at all because somebody alerted me to it.

Feel free to talk to me about anything else that you feel needs my attention of course, or anything related to the last 50 years of pop music and the Boston Red Sox in particular. Talk to me about movies and TV in the TV & Movie Appreciation Forum when you get a chance, and in general, have a lovely day.

Yr pal,
Timmy

Tim Wilson
Vice President, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Nov 13, 2013 at 6:15:02 pm

As a recently declared super-pro I will offer my opinions -

[Tim Wilson] "As it stands now, deleting a post deletes replies to it as well. Do you think it would be better if that wasn't the case? "

Please don't delete replies. You can indicate a canceled post and remove that posters name, but deleting the replies will end up deleting whole new sub-threads that can be as important as anything else.

[Tim Wilson] "do you think everyone should see every post by default? And make them DECIDE to block some automatically? My GUESS is that most people would prefer the default to be OFF, because most of the people here are generally interested in helping other people....but that's me. What about you?"

Definitely off - especially on this forum. We are all newbies here.

[Tim Wilson] "anything related to the last 50 years of pop music and the Boston Red Sox in particular."

One of those two suck and the other is quite excellent. I'll let you decide.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 13, 2013 at 9:07:07 pm

I'm with Herb.

There's no reason to delete anything but the post that the person wants deleted.

It's OK if there's a little hole in the conversation thread, we will figure it out.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Nov 13, 2013 at 9:12:45 pm

Working on it this very second. Stand by for an update. :-)

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 13, 2013 at 10:23:41 pm

This is now fixed.

Thanks, Cow Team!

You now see "post removed" when someone deletes a post.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Nov 13, 2013 at 10:55:12 pm

Thank you to all the cows and cowlettes.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Nov 14, 2013 at 5:02:45 am

Thanks to the Cow team, all is good in the pasture. I did notice one other bug though. It appears my name shows up in the top along side other moderators in another forum. I am not even a moderator.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]