FORUMS: list search recent posts

PVC: Why Manuela returned to FCP after loving Premiere Pro CS6?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Seeman
PVC: Why Manuela returned to FCP after loving Premiere Pro CS6?
on Nov 12, 2013 at 7:14:00 pm

Why Manuela returned to FCP after loving Premiere Pro CS6?

http://provideocoalition.com/atepper/story/why-manuela-returned-to-fcp-afte...

I know it's comparing to PPro CS6 and she's using FiLMiC Pro on iPad to shoot (Padcaster) and we know professional editors never even get handed video clips from anything but Alexa and Sony F55s.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
Re: PVC: Why Manuela returned to FCP after loving Premiere Pro CS6?
on Nov 12, 2013 at 7:27:54 pm

New ad for FCPX -

"If you shooting your next feature on an Ipad, FCPX is the way to go."

Craig, while this is an interesting bit of trivia, you've got to be kidding. I love the part about how this is a codec where the frame rate changes depending on the complexity of the scene - sort of the way NLE's will vary rates when i/o is stressed. But your right, the ranking systems for video cameras is:

1) Ari Alexa
2) Sony F55
3) Ipad

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Nov 12, 2013 at 7:29:58 pm

[Herb Sevush] "1) Ari Alexa"

Are you sure you haven't been sold a cheap Chinese clone?

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Nov 12, 2013 at 8:46:20 pm

And here's another missing post from the corrupted thread -

Forum: Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate
User Name: Andy Branner
Post Subject: Re: PVC: Why Manuela returned to FCP after loving Premiere Pro CS6?

--------------------------------------------------

[Steve Connor] "Are you sure you haven't been sold a cheap Chinese clone?"

He's never even seen one. Chinese or otherwise. He just parrots everything he picks up in his tiny "super-pro" world.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Nov 12, 2013 at 8:55:26 pm

[Herb Sevush] "He's never even seen one. Chinese or otherwise. He just parrots everything he picks up in his tiny "super-pro" world."

You are absolutely correct I have never seen or used an Arri Alexa, nor any of the Red cameras either. On the other hand I have used an Arri-S, Arri-M, Arri BL, Arri 16-SR and Arri 35 BL. I'm also a sloppy speller

By the way, it's nice to be promoted to "super-pro" - does that mean you have to salute me now?

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Nov 12, 2013 at 9:40:36 pm

[Herb Sevush] "And here's another missing post from the corrupted thread -"

While I appreciate you keeping us abreast as to the kind of individual Mr. Branner is, I think it's pretty well-known by now.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 12, 2013 at 7:35:17 pm

There are video journalists and documentary shooters who use the iPads in some cases. It's the reason why Josh Apter keeps making the Padcaster. He's said demand is much higher than he expected. If you're doing news journalism, docs, you're often handed video clips like this. A professional NLE should be able to handle this especially if turn around is tight. There's been enough reports of newspapers (professional for profit ones) and the like moving to such devices.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Nov 12, 2013 at 7:53:41 pm

[Craig Seeman] " A professional NLE should be able to handle this especially if turn around is tight. There's been enough reports of newspapers (professional for profit ones) and the like moving to such devices."

According to the article this is a problem for FiLMiC Pro files, not all iPad/iphone video files.

If we are now playing the codec wars, then Legacy is now an advanced NLE and PPro and Avid are not. Until tomorrows bizzaro codec which another NLE can handle and X cannot. Let me just put it out there that if there is enough demand then both PPro and Avid will soon be able to handle FiLMiC Pro files. If not, then who cares.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Nov 12, 2013 at 9:44:54 pm

[Herb Sevush] "If we are now playing the codec wars, then Legacy is now an advanced NLE and PPro and Avid are not. Until tomorrows bizzaro codec which another NLE can handle and X cannot. Let me just put it out there that if there is enough demand then both PPro and Avid will soon be able to handle FiLMiC Pro files. If not, then who cares.
"

Today an entire shoot was lost because someone didn't know how to properly ingest P2 footage before the card was wiped (MXF files were copied out of the VIDEO folder only). I bring this up only because being invested in a niche world like this can make you a liability if you have to deal with a different segment of production where the iPad is not the A camera of choice.

So I fail to see how this story is relevant.

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Nov 12, 2013 at 10:40:23 pm

I'm a super pro b***h.

How do you qualify as a super pro? Is it by preferring footage from an arri to an iPad? Or do you have to pay membership?

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Nov 13, 2013 at 1:23:48 am

[Tom Sefton] "How do you qualify as a super pro? Is it by preferring footage from an arri to an iPad? Or do you have to pay membership?"

Would you put someone whose experience is solely Public Access television using a DVX100 behind an Arri Alexa for a $500,000 commercial spot?

So, yes, there is a difference.

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Nov 13, 2013 at 5:56:49 pm

I meant it in a funny way. As in, if Herb is being called a super pro, how do I get this seemingly ridiculous insult.

No, I wouldn't trust someone who had no experience with an arri and a £.5m broadcast advert. I probably wouldn't trust myself with that yet.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Nov 13, 2013 at 2:47:14 am

[Herb Sevush] "Let me just put it out there that if there is enough demand then both PPro and Avid will soon be able to handle FiLMiC Pro files. If not, then who cares.
"

Interesting that I cannot find anything from the author or the other shooter referenced in the article that demonstrates what this process looks like in a finished piece.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Nov 13, 2013 at 5:12:05 am

[Gary Huff] "Interesting that I cannot find anything from the author or the other shooter referenced in the article that demonstrates what this process looks like in a finished piece."

Here's the video gallery from the Filmic Pro website.

http://filmicpro.com/?page_id=1051

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Nov 13, 2013 at 2:30:56 pm

[Herb Sevush] "Here's the video gallery from the Filmic Pro website."

Yeah, I was hoping for material from the people referenced as having shot this way from the article, but that will do.

This seems like the best example of the app in action for a typical corporate piece.

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
on Nov 13, 2013 at 3:31:03 pm

Is the vignetting an artistic effect, or a limitation of the camera?

Bernie

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Nov 13, 2013 at 3:35:36 pm

[Bernard Newnham] "Is the vignetting an artistic effect, or a limitation of the camera?"

The description mentions those lens adapters that stick on the iPad...could be that or some iMovie post effect.

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
on Nov 13, 2013 at 5:32:01 pm

As soon as I get the elf to draw quick enough, I'll have this pinhole movie camera up and running, along with the wood engraved editing. (c) Terry Pratchett

Bernie

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Nov 13, 2013 at 8:12:45 pm

[Bernard Newnham] "As soon as I get the elf to draw quick enough, I'll have this pinhole movie camera up and running, along with the wood engraved editing."

I hope it's not soon...I would hate for you to take the video world by storm with that setup and drive good people out of work!

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Nov 14, 2013 at 2:40:14 am

Can someone post some Filmic footage somewhere so i can see if we support it? At this point, I'm usually surprised when we can't play something, not the other way around.

Dennis - Adobe

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Nov 14, 2013 at 4:18:19 am

[Dennis Radeke] "Can someone post some Filmic footage somewhere so i can see if we support it? At this point, I'm usually surprised when we can't play something, not the other way around."

Hey Dennis, I think the article was dealing with sync drift issues concerning the audio because of the way the FiLMic Pro files report the frame rate.

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Nov 14, 2013 at 11:30:04 am

Yup, I should have said - "Let me test the audio drift issue". If someone can post files, that'd be great.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]