FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transcoding to ProRes 422 LT for Optimised Media

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam White
Transcoding to ProRes 422 LT for Optimised Media
on Nov 11, 2013 at 11:25:10 am

Apologies for the double-thread (posted another one just now on filenames).

I want to make sure I'm not missing a trick with this one - I use the ProRes 422 LT codec all the time. It's a great space saver (compared with standard 422) and it tends to expedite my workflow quite a bit. For many of the projects that I work on, it's the perfect choice.

I see that I can change my project/timeline settings to be ProRes 422 LT, but I cannot see an option to change the optimised media codec to 422 LT anywhere. Am I missing something or is this not available on the current version of FCPX?

I understand that a workaround would be to transcode to 422LT in another app, and then import the files, but the ability to make selects and organise rushes whilst the material transcodes in the background is part of the reason I'm moving away from FCP7 to X and Avid. This seems like an omission that I hope will be fixed in the next update if it's not an option already.

Thanks in advance,
Adam

Return to posts index

David Eaks
Re: Transcoding to ProRes 422 LT for Optimised Media
on Nov 11, 2013 at 11:40:48 am

Unfortunately it is not an option, but be sure to send in feedback to apple (there is a send feedback button in the FCPX menu) and request the feature.

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Nov 12, 2013 at 12:09:31 am

Bad reason to move away from Avid seeing as you can transcode to Prores LT or Dnx100 in the background whilst making selects and editing. Not saying you should cut in Avid, but wouldn't want anyone to think there was an advantage there with FCP X since this feature just became available in MC 7. I am in the same boat wanting the whole pipeline to go through Prores LT which is how my client is currently doing it in FCP 7.

Return to posts index

Francois Jean
on Nov 12, 2013 at 12:42:26 am

In this discussion It is good too go back the the ProRes white paper:
- "While the ability to produce high-quality output is a key attribute of image and video codecs, it is quality preservation—or fidelity—that is the actual goal of a codec. … If an image sequence has visible artifacts to begin with, Apple ProRes will perfectly preserve these artifacts ... The goal of every Apple ProRes family member is to perfectly preserve the quality of the original image source, be it good or bad."

FIDELITY on the first generation and mostly through multi "reencoding" (renders) is key to understand this choice.

I have been doing many test on ProRes, DnxHD codecs and many others , just to conclude that that ProRes is slightly superior to DnxHD as far as Fidelity is concerned…but let us stay in the ProRes arena, looking at the "PSNR Comparison - Apple ProRes 422 Family" graphic it is quite obvious that the minimum bitrate to correctly preserve quality should not be under that of the ProRes 422 ( typically 147mbs )

I believe this is the RIGHT choice that was made as far as preserving QUALITY in FCPX (this also applies in avid :it is not a good idea to go under Dnx145 ). LT can be a correct choice for output but certainly not for editing-rendering, HQ is pretty good and about perfect , but 4444 is just fabulous for the big screen (DCP).

just my understanding

ZAP

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Nov 12, 2013 at 2:37:06 am

[Zachary Potter] "it is quite obvious that in the minimum bitrate to correctly preserve quality should not be under 422."

Did you leave something out of this sentence? 4:2:2 is not a bitrate...unless you meant 422Mbps.

Not even HQ hits that.

Return to posts index

Francois Jean
on Nov 12, 2013 at 3:35:07 am

Previous post updated to your request … I whish I could write in my own language but that would make things worst for you all.

Cheers

ZAP

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 12, 2013 at 3:46:14 am

In playing with a few things to add a comment to this thread, I went and flipped the proxy switch, which usually knocks everything off line. Instead, nothing happened. I don't have any proxy material, so I said, well maybe x got smarter. So made a proxy clip of some of my media on my timeline. I checked and it is transcoded in the proxy folder. The one little clip. Then I switched to proxy playback again. Nothing. Everything still online. Revealing what clip is being used for that one proxy clip, shows that the original is still being used. Even though playback settings are proxy. So I quit X and start it up again. It magically switched itself to regular playback, not proxy. I switched again and quit again and it set itself back. It refused to go to proxy mode. Anyone else seeing this in mavericks? Is it just my machine that's broke?

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
on Nov 12, 2013 at 5:12:32 am

I just did many hours of proxy for a multicam and it was working normally under Mavericks.

Dajen Productions, Santa Barbara, CA
MacPro 3.2GHz Quad Core - AJA Kona LHe+
FCS 3 OS X 10.7.4
FCP X, Logic Pro, Squeeze, Filemaker 10.8.3

Return to posts index

Adam White
on Nov 12, 2013 at 2:14:36 pm

Background transcoding was a great new feature in MC7. Have made use of it a few times with good results. As I said in another post, my ageing hardware handicaps it a little but it still works and what I like about it is that you can at least begin the process of organising your rushes right away as opposed to having to wait around for a transcode to complete.

When I'm super busy it can be really helpful to dip into a new project for an hour or two in-between other things and get all set for an edit to begin later. It takes away the burden of planning your transcoding time around your day so you're not wasting time that could be spent working.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]