FORUMS: list search recent posts

To all the FCP-X Cry-Babies

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron Cadieux
To all the FCP-X Cry-Babies
on Jun 26, 2011 at 1:37:40 am

"Wah! Wah! Apple's going to make it easier for an ameature to do my job. Wah! Wah!"

That's what all you crybabies sound like. Get over it. It's not the tools you use to make the edits that matter. It's the creativity behind the edit choices that makes the movie/video. Just like it's not the bat that makes the hitter. It's the talent that makes the hitter.

Any business that decides to let an ameature produce their videos with FCP-X over the professional with the proper software is not someone you should be doing business with anyway. They have no idea what goes into video production, and will be left wondering why they still received a crappy video even though they had the latest greatest editing software to make the video.

Newsflash . . . Apple doesn't give a crap about you, or your business. They're not going to pull FCP-X from their product lineup because it's going to hurt your small business. Move on.

Do you think the cell phone companies give a crap about the factories that assemble pay phones. It's the same thing with Apple and you.

Return to posts index

Scott Thomas
Re: To all the FCP-X Cry-Babies
on Jun 26, 2011 at 1:42:32 am

[Aaron Cadieux] "Newsflash . . . Apple doesn't give a crap about you, or your business."

Apple apparently did at one time care. They built the Final Cut Studio did they not?

I'm glad you're happy with your $300 investment. Others here with many thousands or millions more invested I think are entitled to their complaints.

Return to posts index

Aaron Cadieux
on Jun 26, 2011 at 2:17:19 am

I'm not even a FCP editor. And yes, I have 10s of thousands of dollars invested in my EQ as well. And just as people are entitled to their opinions, I'm entitled to mine. My comments weren't aimed at a specific person.

I've whined and complained on the Cow before, and I took my lumps for it.

Return to posts index

Stefan Buhrmester
on Jun 26, 2011 at 2:31:55 am

So instead of replying to that specific person, you create a new thread and accost everyone. Don't want to know what's going on in that brain of yours.

[Aaron Cadieux] ""Wah! Wah! Apple's going to make it easier for an ameature to do my job. Wah! Wah!"

That's what all you crybabies sound like

I'm sorry to say that to you, but if you think that this is what the people on this forum complain about, you missed the point completely and your whole insult is baseless.

Return to posts index

Scott Thomas
on Jun 26, 2011 at 2:43:45 am

[Aaron Cadieux] "I've whined and complained on the Cow before..."

And apparently you still do.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jun 26, 2011 at 3:41:59 am

[Aaron Cadieux] "I'm not even a FCP editor."

[Aaron Cadieux] "Actually I'm a much better editor than speller."

Don't quit your day job.
I bet your a much better dishwasher than you are writer or 'editor'.
But that isn't really saying much.
You at least managed to get through two posts without a typo. It shows that remedial English class is paying off.

By the way, next time I come through the drive-thru make sure you Super-size my order like I asked. And the fries were cold too.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

I have a system, it has stuff in it, and stuff hooked to it. I have a camera, it can record stuff. I read the manuals, and know how to use this stuff and lots of other stuff too.
You should be suitably impressed...

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Final warning Aaron
on Jun 26, 2011 at 5:05:29 am

[Aaron Cadieux] "I'm not even a FCP editor....

...I've whined and complained on the Cow before, and I took my lumps for it."

Yes Aaron, you have taken your lumps for your whining on the Business and Marketing Forum, but this time around you've crossed the line.

You have absolutely nothing of value to add to the on-going dialog here, and you've simply waded in with with insulting and derisive comments on a subject you know absolutely nothing about.

If don't immediately cease and desist what you've started here, I assure you, you will be toast. Permanently!

Is that what you really want?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new tutorial: Prepare for a seamless transition to FCP X and OS X Lion
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/FCP-10-MAC-Lion/1

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jun 26, 2011 at 1:45:52 am

I wonder if you edit as well as you spell?

Scott Sheriff
Director

I have a system, it has stuff in it, and stuff hooked to it. I have a camera, it can record stuff. I read the manuals, and know how to use this stuff and lots of other stuff too.

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Return to posts index

Aaron Cadieux
on Jun 26, 2011 at 1:51:38 am

Actually I'm a much better editor than speller.

I take it you're one of the crybabies?

Return to posts index

Ronald Lindeboom
on Jun 26, 2011 at 5:21:40 pm

Aaron,

You have 'tens of thousands of dollars worth of equipment" eh?

More accurately, it would be "Your boss has tens of thousands of dollars worth of equipment." The same boss you have bitched and complained about ad nauseum over the last few years. The one whom you think you are better than, know more than, and that clearly should be working for you if the world was just. Unfortunately, the world is rarely just and he must know more than you because you are working for him.

Also, if you wish to wade in here and jump into an argument that is not yours, be prepared to have the people you have insulted, hand you your hiney in a bag.

This was over-the-top, Aaron, and if you wish to continue to post in the COW this is your LAST warning. You have had previous warnings. Next up? Permanent removal from the site.

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC
Publisher, Creative COW Magazine

Creativity is a process wherein the student and the teacher are located in the same individual.

"Incompetence has never prevented me from plunging in with enthusiasm."
- Woody Allen

Return to posts index

Aaron Cadieux
on Jun 26, 2011 at 1:53:00 am

If I wanted a spelling critique, I'd post in an English forum.

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Jun 26, 2011 at 1:54:44 am

You stay classy Derek Zoo-land-der.
Uhh Earth to Matilda, I was at a day spa. Day, D-A-I-Y-E. Okay?

Return to posts index

Chris Jacek
on Jun 26, 2011 at 2:02:15 am

Well, at least I know one amateur who won't be taking any of our jobs. Hey Slick, you know what's even more important to a potential client than creativity? Not being a jerk. I tell me students one important fact about finding work. People hire people they like. An above average mench will get hired over a brilliant schmuck every time.

Professor, Producer, Editor
and former Apple Employee

Return to posts index

Aaron Cadieux
on Jun 26, 2011 at 2:07:03 am

I just think it's a waste of time for everyone to cry about software. If a company wants to hire a "mench", they have every right to do so. I'm not the one crying about how a "mench" is going to take my job.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jun 26, 2011 at 2:23:38 am

Mench? wait - what are you saying? God almighty but if you're not Charlie Kaufman typing from mars we all have a problem here Aaron.

Please respond.

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

J Hussar
on Jun 26, 2011 at 2:48:00 am

[Aaron Cadieux] "I just think it's a waste of time for everyone to cry about software. If a company wants to hire a "mench", they have every right to do so. I'm not the one crying about how a "mench" is going to take my job."

You are so... clueless... no one here is worried about anyone taking anyone's job because FCPX is sooo great! - people are angry that the software is sooooo bad.

For example:
1. No decent tape export controls so we can send the finished projects to broadcast stations.(broadcast is not impressed by Apple and FCPX)
2. Not being able to send a product to sound post - not a big deal unless you are a pro.
3. Having to recreate old projects in order to use the benefits of the new software, tedious and a waste of time.
4. Not being able to use all the screen real estate for a timeline because of the one window concept - necessary if you have a complicated job. Bins were great, so were sequences - it kept a very complicated job in one easy to work with project.
4. etc. etc. etc. (it's well documented here)

I have to laugh - I doubt anyone is worried that FCPX will make anyone a better editor, in fact I believe it will make anyone using it worse which will cut down the competition. If people want to use bad tools, be my guest - please use iMovie as that really has less features and is therefore even better by your logic!

Return to posts index

Sam Cole
on Jun 26, 2011 at 3:30:48 am

I think the problem here is that a lot of high profile/high end users on this forum (and the FCP forum) all believed they should have been involved somehow in the development of FCPX; either consulted or beta tested. They were not and have taken a personal offence to it. In someways I don't blame them.
But to try and drag everyone else along with them is what I don't like.
For me, I am giving it a go, as a 'toy', for the next 3 months so that when the 'pro features' are added I will be 'up-to-speed' with the workflow and interface.
Its at that time I would be interested if the 'pro' community will come crawling back or allow pride to stifle their advancement.
Surely you professionals can see whats going on? Its not rocket science. FCP 7 will live on until people acclimatise . . .

Sam Cole
On line Mastering Facility
FCP, Avid, Adobe
Sydney, Australia

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jun 26, 2011 at 3:46:17 am

[J Hussar] "I have to laugh - I doubt anyone is worried that FCPX will make anyone a better editor, in fact I believe it will make anyone using it worse which will cut down the competition. If people want to use bad tools, be my guest - please use iMovie as that really has less features and is therefore even better by your logic!"

The only tool that will make Aaron a better editor is an enema, a brain transplant, or both. Even apple can't fix stupid.

Scott Sheriff
Director

Return to posts index

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
on Jun 26, 2011 at 4:45:29 am

Randy U., is that you?

---

http://www.peterdv.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Corneles
on Jun 26, 2011 at 4:48:09 am

maybe even SJ?

Yeah, you guys have it right, we're scared, or just scorned
that we weren't involved in the beta.... riiiiight.

Return to posts index

Ted Levy
on Jun 26, 2011 at 5:08:46 am

You guys really want to waste your time arguing with some stranger who's happily yanking your chain?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 26, 2011 at 5:27:55 am

He's no stranger Ted. He's been a problem on the Cow before, and this time I think he may have pushed the envelope one too many times.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Don't miss my new tutorial: Prepare for a seamless transition to FCP X and OS X Lion

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Ted Levy
on Jun 26, 2011 at 5:31:27 am

But why engage him at all? I don't see how it's productive.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 26, 2011 at 5:48:42 am

[Ted Levy] "But why engage him at all? I don't see how it's productive."

Unfortunately, every once in a while leaders here do have to step up and try to put a stop to things. Aaron has been warned by Cow management in the past, so he should have known better.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Ted Levy
on Jun 26, 2011 at 6:16:43 am

Ah, thanks for the reply....

Return to posts index

Rob Grauert
on Jun 26, 2011 at 11:38:04 am

Hey man, I was in this boat too when FCPX first came out, and kept suggesting that people should just stick with FCP7.

Then I thought about it and realized FCP7 is falling behind the competition. That's why everyone was begging for a legit update! You can throw whatever you want into the Avid and Premiere timelines, and work natively. FCPX isn't exactly doing that. You might say, "Well then switch," but Steve Jobs did say, "This is going to be AWESOME," which caused people to wait around.

You really need to listen to the podcast between Rich Harrington and Walter Biscardi, and try to understand it from the perspective of someone who built a business around FCP.

Rob Grauert, Jr.
http://www.robgrauert.com
command-r.tumblr.com

Return to posts index

Adam Claude Jones
on Jun 26, 2011 at 11:53:34 am

The thing is people are not complaining because Apple has put professional features in the hands of amateurs for $300.

People are complaining because Apple took the professional features away from everybody's hand.

Problem is not that it is too cheap, it is that it is no longer professional.

You ranting makes no sense then.

Return to posts index

MIke Guidotti
on Jun 26, 2011 at 3:58:23 pm

You are totally right. Broadcast professional editors were not generating the kind of revenue that Apple predicts can be gained by shifting their product to a much broader range of customers.

Its simple business - if Apple does not make profit they will cease to exist. They are a business just like you.

If you were editing films for client X for many years, and now you are not making much money from client X any more. Clients A, B, C, and D come along and for a lower fee you can do their projects in the same amount of time it took to do client X, and your aggregate income will increase. You would be an idiot not to do it.

What I am trying to say is you will try to keep long term clients but after a while if that long term client is not enough to pay the bills you will have to drop them in order to pick up one that's more lucrative.

Return to posts index

Dan Stewart
on Jun 26, 2011 at 5:38:59 pm

Didn't Apple get started with the kudos of being the preferred choice of creative pros? Am I being silly? Even before the iEra Proapps was a small part of their revenue but it seemed important to them, like Warner Bros giving Kubrick budgets even though he wasn't making them any real profits..

In that light the striking thing in all this is Apple's total and rather devious about face. Is it a watershed moment for the company? Are they on their way to a 40 year Microsoft style pigf&*k? I thought we had at least until Jobs turned up his toes..

Return to posts index

Brandon Kraemer
on Jun 26, 2011 at 7:21:48 pm

While the original poster seems to lack a lot of tact and writing skill when expressing his opinion, I think is point was both misinterpreted and in part correct. This was not a comment about the lack of pro-features in FCPX that people are complaining about.

The original poster was rebutting people who are complaining that putting so-called professional tools in the hands of the masses eliminates the need for professionals. It's a different argument and one I have seen expressed along with the features complaints on other forums.

It's not a new argument however. FCP Studio vs. FCPX (+compressor/motion) is only a $600 discrepancy in cost, not that big of a game changer. Adobe CS5.5 Production Premium only cost $700 more than FCP Studio and gives you 5 major applications. The software has been getting more accessible form a cost standpoint for 10 years now.

So I agree, it's still about your skill level, experience and most of all ones professionalism, which is a good reason to not call each other cry-babies.

Return to posts index

Pete Appleby
on Jun 29, 2011 at 1:36:20 am

Yes, when you look at it from that perspective, the difference in cost is silly, if the buyer is seriously in the market. For example, if FCP X had 64 bit, background rendering, and maybe better integration with other apps, we probably would complain about the upgrade cost. But we would pay it.

But the difference between $299 and $1000 is not a significant barrier to entry for a first time purchaser, if they are serious about getting into pro editing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]