FORUMS: list search recent posts

Honestly, who cares?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Julian Bowman
Honestly, who cares?
on Nov 9, 2013 at 6:28:06 pm

Who cares, 1)?

Honestly, who, of sound mind and a general sense of peace within themselves, genuinely cares a single iota what anybody else thinks of the software they use?

Does my choosing of FCPX make it better than PP? No. Should anyone in the world give a toss that I use FC over PP or Avid? No.

This forum is labelled debate, but a lot of the time it is like listening to 8 year olds at break, or MPs in the House of Commons... or rather listening to some 8 year olds and MPs who have snuck into the pub to irritate reasonable minded liberal types who were having a nice chat about a topic of choice .

Who cares, 2)?

Honestly, does the fact that something, anything, that was broadcast was cut on FCPX matter to anyone other than the person who cut it? Nope.

Does the fact that something was cut and broadcast on FCPX prove anything other than that was the software of choice? Nope.

Is FCPX suitable for professional use? Of course it is and has been, in some cases, from day 1. Is it suitable for everyone who is a professional? Of course not. Does it matter to anyone at all whether it is or isn't suitable for someone specifically? Only to each individual or company (or rather the person in the company making the software/hardware decisions) within the realms of their own decision making process.

Who cares, 3)?

When some random blog post about some random programme that was cut by some random person somewhere in the world by 1 or a handful of the 7 BILLION people living on this planet, who cares enough about it to post childish sarcastic comments about how apparently FCPX is too for professional use in order to somehow prove that actually FCPX is AWESOME? Only the mentally fragile or the egotistically deluded, because mostly no one with a right mind cares. Truly. WHO CARES?

I "make video for a living". I don't "make video using Canon DSLRs and FCPX with Motion 5", because nobody cares about every word in that sentence after video.

This forum has so many positive contributors who offer up information about a raft of different things that are useful for people to read about and listen to.

It also has a few resident trolls who appear to have invested the entirety of their metaphysical existence on the global and fundamentalist acceptance that FCPX is, somehow, Godlike in its concept and execution.

You latter people are truly truly tiresome. And if anything would turn people off trying to use X it would be that in using X they have an association with you.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
Re: Honestly, who cares?
on Nov 9, 2013 at 7:20:18 pm

[Julian Bowman] "Honestly, who, of sound mind and a general sense of peace within themselves, genuinely cares a single iota what anybody else thinks of the software they use?

Does my choosing of FCPX make it better than PP? No. Should anyone in the world give a toss that I use FC over PP or Avid? No."

I totally agree.

[Julian Bowman] "This forum has so many positive contributors who offer up information about a raft of different things that are useful for people to read about and listen to.

It also has a few resident trolls who appear to have invested the entirety of their metaphysical existence on the global and fundamentalist acceptance that FCPX is, somehow, Godlike in its concept and execution."

Yep. It's ridiculous and, oddly, embarrassing.

Honestly, the reason I participate in the "debates" (before they devolves into name-calling) is motivated by selfishness. I prefer cutting in X. I work in a "niche' industry where X does require some workarounds and where some people - coming from FCP 7 - don't want to or can't be bothered to learn a new way of doing things. That's the allure of Premiere. It's the same. Sure, you need to learn how the app works, but the timeline is essentially the same as everything that came before it. And that's not a putdown of Premiere. It's a great NLE. Honestly that (and price of course) was what helped FCP gain ground in the beginning as well. You could be an Avid editor, and get up to speed in FCP in a day or two. You could hit the ground running.

But when you hit the ground in X, it's as though you landed on the moon. Things are both the same, and very very different. Add to that all the FUD still floating around, and it's still a hard sell.

So, back to selfishness... :-) If "everybody" - In the tiny percentage of all editors that comprise my niche - switches to Adobe or Avid, then I will be forced to follow the herd. And because I prefer cutting in X - because it's awesome ;-) - I'd like to be able to continue to do so. And so, since people do seem to come here to the Cow to gauge what "the Pro's" are using, I continue to come here to try to cajole people into giving it a shot. In my experience, people who do, discover that they like it. As people continue to do so, I can continue to use it. Everything revolves around me!! :-)

So... I really don't care what anyone thinks of my choice of NLE, but what others think affects my ability to be able to choose to use it. Thus, I am still here blathering away... ;-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Nov 9, 2013 at 7:34:25 pm

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
on Nov 9, 2013 at 8:46:41 pm

The only thing I care about is that the the places I work at hopefully adopt X at some point, or at least install it on their systems, especially when they have Premiere, Avid and FCP7 anyway, and one of their best editors loves working with it...

Other than that i don't care, I'm enjoying myself, and get to edit on three different systems on a regular basis.

"Always look on the bright side of life" - Monty Python

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Nov 9, 2013 at 10:18:39 pm

I care to the extent that I'm interested in all the different work flows editors care to talk about. I'm happy to hear, but only in great detail, about how they use X (or any other NLE). I'm getting ready to make the big change and I'm trying to learn all I can about all my options. Nothing better than having some one articulate all the reasons something is great, as long as they don't mind me asking some questions and kicking the tires a little.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Nicholas Kleczewski
on Nov 10, 2013 at 3:41:31 am

This forum, nay, this site would be a baron wasteland of empty threads and videoguys ads if any of what you said here were "how it is" on here. Unfortunately the people doing most of the real work out there, just don't have time for the lunacy, so we for the most part sit back and smile with slight repressed sadness and read the horror and the drivel most post about. Sometimes we come out of the woodwork to respond to something of value or to pipe up with things have gone just topsy turvy, but thats about it.

"my only mistake is I'm hoping..."

Director, Editor, Colorist
http://www.trsociety.com

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Nov 10, 2013 at 9:56:30 am

[Nicholas Kleczewski] "Unfortunately the people doing most of the real work out there, just don't have time for the lunacy, so we for the most part sit back and smile with slight repressed sadness and read the horror and the drivel most post about. Sometimes we come out of the woodwork to respond to something of value or to pipe up with things have gone just topsy turvy, but thats about it. "

Wow, thank you SO much for taking the time away from your REAL work to post here amongst us poor people who obviously don't do the sort of work that you do, it's a great honour to hear from you.

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Nov 10, 2013 at 7:32:43 pm

[Nicholas Kleczewski] "Unfortunately the people doing most of the real work out there, just don't have time for the lunacy, so we for the most part sit back and smile with slight repressed sadness and read the horror and the drivel most post about. "

Seriously? I pray you get over your repressed sadness, however slight it might be.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 10, 2013 at 5:07:47 am

Best post (and rant) ever.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Nov 10, 2013 at 10:09:27 am

[Julian Bowman] "This forum has so many positive contributors who offer up information about a raft of different things that are useful for people to read about and listen to.
"

This is why I think most people come here, you just have to learn to filter out the other "noise"

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 10, 2013 at 4:33:32 pm

Julian's post is of course silly. The whole point of any of these forums, or any forum, on any subject, is to discuss, debate, and learn about new and different products.

So while Julian is referring to FCP-X, AVID, Vegas, Premiere, etc.
the same thing applies to cameras (my RED is better than your Alexa), or monitors (my FSI is better than your Sony OLED), capture cards (my AJA is better than your Blackmagic).

And this applies to any auto forum (my Camaro is better than your Challenger), sewing machines, guitars, sports teams and everything else.

EVERY DAMN PRODUCT that you see advertised on Creative Cow works. But it is the USERS of these products, or the potential buyers of these products that wants to ask questions like "why should I buy that big expensive drive array, when I can get this cheap one - shouldn't it do the same thing". The minute we eliminate this type of debate, these forums (and FCP-L, AVID-L, the Blackmagic forums, etc.) are all over. People who are passionate about their industry (cars, video, music, sports) have passionate opinions. You seem to be offended by this passion. Yes, FCP-X has worked since day 1, and so has every other NLE that has ever been shown as a finished product. Sorry, but "guys like us" like talking about this kind of stuff.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Nov 11, 2013 at 11:45:35 pm

I just re-read thhe first post in this thread and I honest to god don't know what your'e talking about.

Tim

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 10, 2013 at 8:21:15 pm

Freelances and editors that work at facilities may be limited by what their employers use except to their own powers to persuade their employers

People who run their own small shops can use what they like.

Anyone who is a decision maker in multi-seat shops, multi-editor projects, needs to hire or build the right workflow for the tasks at hand, have strong motivating to know what others are using and why.

In short, anyone in a position to decide or persuade wants to know what others are using and why.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Nov 10, 2013 at 11:11:47 pm

Thread Music...

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Nov 11, 2013 at 1:18:20 pm

Julian -

Sometimes it's fun to check in here just to see who is making some darn-fool comment and what darn-fool reactions come back at that comment. Kind of like watching reality TV. No, wait, reality TV is much worse, but you get the picture.

However, there is the other FCPX forum that talks more about tips and techniques:

http://forums.creativecow.net/fcpxtechnique?view=s

This may be more of what you are looking for.

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Nov 11, 2013 at 1:58:23 pm

Genius post. Cuts through the shameless blather on this forum like a hot knife. I'd only add that that it doesn't apply to only a half dozen or so regular posters who have something interesting and OBJECTIVE to say. The rest of you could do with a strong dose of shame.

David
http://AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Nov 11, 2013 at 2:04:22 pm

[David Cherniack] "Genius post. Cuts through the shameless blather on this forum like a hot knife. I'd only add that that it doesn't apply to only a half dozen or so regular posters who have something interesting and OBJECTIVE to say. The rest of you could do with a strong dose of shame."

Sorry is there a rule that forums have to be OBJECTIVE? WTH do you mean strong dose of shame? Taking it a little seriously aren't we?

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]