FORUMS: list search recent posts

I could see FCP X being useful for something professional...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Wood
I could see FCP X being useful for something professional...
on Jun 26, 2011 at 1:12:52 am

When FCP X becomes available for the iPad I could definitely see myself using it in the field to rough out cuts, make string outs, etc. As long as I can get an XML out of it once I get back to the shop to load on the Avids, it could make for a convienent little tool.

Sadly this looks like the only way we'd be able to use FCP X in any professional manner on our show. It's an interesting idea though.

Return to posts index

Bryan Keith
Re: I could see FCP X being useful for something professional...
on Jun 26, 2011 at 1:27:29 am

yeah...but I bet that Ipad FCP will be able to do a killer real time Ken Burns effect! That's all you really need.

Bryan Keith
http://www.happylandstudio.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 26, 2011 at 2:21:12 am

Actually with some clients tendency to want to do their own selects and rough cuts, iMovie desktop import could be valuable. Granted that's a small niche I suspect.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jun 26, 2011 at 3:24:29 am

baby yes, I just can't, you know - I can't quite believe that this is our little own software cliff?

that we're all standing here?

(and so.. he continues his ever-living rant)

that we all get handed the apple sod off cards? And then we get to stare at the PPro, avid welcome gift packs, when we had all sweated blood to push the victory of FCP. FCP was supposed to be the democratic answer, the embodiment of the craft. But sure of course apple couldn't give two shites about us, our craft, or the basic tenets of editing itself.

You know? I can't believe that for all apple's dangerous bollocks in the past, this is where we would all get to - we are the last quirk to be told to sod off - we are the last of the professional creative community to depend on that creature apple, that weird little lately large shark, to pray that they give the vaguest shite about the financial smudge on their left last heel - some tens of thousands of editors of various skills competing and attempting to express editing as a craft individually every single day - but we really do not make enough coin for them at apple; those quiet, deadly, shitty, money men in cupertino.

here's to the crazy ones.

http://bit.ly/jIUH2N

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jun 26, 2011 at 4:25:05 am

[Aindreas Gallagher] "FCP was supposed to be the democratic answer, the embodiment of the craft. But sure of course apple couldn't give two shites about us, our craft, or the basic tenets of editing itself. "

You don't think this is a slightly... melodramatic way to react to the absence of about four features, which Apple has independently told several media outlets are being added back in?

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
on Jun 26, 2011 at 4:56:26 am

[Chris Kenny] "... which Apple has independently told several media outlets are being added back in"

Why is Apple hiding behind David Pogue's skirt?

That's one of the many things I don't understand about Apple's self-inflicted PR disaster AKA FCPX.

Trying to figure out Apple next move by studying David Pogue bizarre & ill-informed articles & blog comments is literally maddening.

If Apple has something to communicate to the adults who use their products professionally, why don't they just come out and address them/us directly?

To paraphrase Mr. Steve Jobs, a man whom I greatly admire: Apple's handling of the transition from FCP-7 to FCPX is brain dead. Period.

---

http://www.peterdv.com

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jun 26, 2011 at 5:02:47 am

[Peter J. DeCrescenzo] "If Apple has something to communicate to the adults who use their products professionally, why don't they just come out and address them/us directly?"

If Apple choses to do this, they'll take a week or two to formulate their response. That has been the pattern with things like the iPhone 4 antenna response and, more recently, the "My iPhone is tracking me!" silliness.

Talking through Pogue, etc. might seem like Apple being oddly coy, but it's more openness than we usually see from Apple. Ditto for having people like Philip Hodgetts talk to FCP X team members before the app even shipped. Apple seems to understand they need to be a little more open with pro apps than with consumer stuff, at least during this transitional period, but I think they haven't quite gotten the hang of it yet.

--

Return to posts index

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
on Jun 26, 2011 at 5:28:31 am

Wait: I may have missed it (really, I may have), but did Philip H. publicize a list of FCPX's "missing features" before it shipped?

If he did, I'm sorry I missed it.

If not, then Philip's insider's knowledge has no bearing on the subject at hand.

---

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jun 26, 2011 at 5:32:02 am

[Peter J. DeCrescenzo] "Wait: I may have missed it (really, I may have), but did Philip H. publicize a list of FCPX's "missing features" before it shipped?

If he did, I'm sorry I missed it.

If not, then Philip's insider's knowledge has no bearing on the subject at hand."

Err... I'm not entirely sure what your point is here. Apple doesn't appear to have told Hodgetts specifically what features were and weren't in the release before it happened. However, they do seem to have briefed him on the day of the release, and they told him that while XML wasn't there yet, it (or something to take its place) would be.

--

Return to posts index

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
on Jun 26, 2011 at 5:52:14 am

[Chris Kenny] "Apple doesn't appear to have told Hodgetts specifically what features were and weren't in the release before it happened. However, they do seem to have briefed him on the day of the release, and they told him that while XML wasn't there yet, it (or something to take its place) would be."

Are you saying Mr. Hodgetts didn't tell the rest of us anything more than what many others told us soon after they purchased the app?

If the above is true, then what value are his comments compared to those of others?

I'm not saying his comments/info are not valuable, I'm just trying to figure out if he told "us" anything more -- especially regarding FCPX's missing features -- than what was obvious to many others.

---

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 26, 2011 at 6:11:55 am

I believe shortly AFTER the release Apple spoke to a number of "publicly influential" people that there are features on the way. They haven't had a "press conference" per se but they are certainly talking to people who are passing this information on. In short, Apple is communicating through the press.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 26, 2011 at 6:30:22 am

[Craig Seeman] "In short, Apple is communicating through the press.
"

If I may clarify that slightly... Unnamed sources, allegedly from Apple, are reported to have disclosed that new features will be on the way at some point in time, which has yet to be determined.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new tutorial: Prepare for a seamless transition to FCP X and OS X Lion
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/FCP-10-MAC-Lion/1

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jun 26, 2011 at 1:32:09 pm

[Peter J. DeCrescenzo] "Are you saying Mr. Hodgetts didn't tell the rest of us anything more than what many others told us soon after they purchased the app?

If the above is true, then what value are his comments compared to those of others? "

Apple has directly communicated with him about future plans. Also, his post implies he'd been told there would be XML exporting or an API to access sequence data or something before the release, which would mean this is just a feature that slipped at the last minute; hardly unusual in software development, and if Apple had thought a couple of months ago that it might be ready for the initial release, we might not have long to wait for it.

--

Return to posts index

Patrick Sheffield
on Jun 26, 2011 at 5:58:33 am

You don't think this is a slightly... melodramatic way to react to the absence of about four features, which Apple has independently told several media outlets are being added back in?

At the FCPUG in London the other night, reportedly the Apple representative stated that Apple is not interested in pursuing XML support...

Even David Pogue, speaking supposedly for Apple, said FCX would never support import of Final Cut Pro projects, and that Apple thought EDLs were crude and should be dropped.

How does that equate to adding back those features?

Patrick

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jun 26, 2011 at 1:11:45 pm

[Patrick Sheffield] "At the FCPUG in London the other night, reportedly the Apple representative stated that Apple is not interested in pursuing XML support...

Even David Pogue, speaking supposedly for Apple, said FCX would never support import of Final Cut Pro projects, and that Apple thought EDLs were crude and should be dropped.

How does that equate to adding back those features?"

Specific support for XML and EDL is not required if Apple provides an API to allow third-parties to directly access sequence data. Which from what they've told Pogue and Hodgetts seems to be the plan. Such an API would allow anyone to write an app or plug-in to export sequence data from FCP X in any format, and would almost certainly result in FCP X having a far more robust set of export options than FCP 7 ever had.

--

Return to posts index

Patrick Sheffield
on Jun 26, 2011 at 7:43:45 pm

"Such an API would allow anyone to write an app or plug-in to export sequence data from FCP X in any format, and would almost certainly result in FCP X having a far more robust set of export options than FCP 7 ever had."

At what cost? If Automatic Duck is taken as an example, gonna get pretty expensive at $500 a pop... These were supported in the past by Apple themselves. Sure, Apple should make the API available, but perhaps they could use their own API to deliver some of the stuff they left out.

Patrick Sheffield
Sheffield Softworks

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jun 26, 2011 at 7:56:24 pm

[Patrick Sheffield] "At what cost? If Automatic Duck is taken as an example, gonna get pretty expensive at $500 a pop... These were supported in the past by Apple themselves. Sure, Apple should make the API available, but perhaps they could use their own API to deliver some of the stuff they left out."

To be fair, $500 doesn't just get you a plug-in to export OMF. Pro Export FCP is primarily a tool for moving FCP sequences (not FCP X sequences, so far) into Avid. It also provides more advanced OMF exporting than is built into FCP 7.

If someone went and wrote a plug-in that just implemented the same level of OMF export support as FCP 7, I doubt it would be $500. It would be a much simpler product, and the developer could anticipate selling more copies, because basic OMF exporting is presumably demanded by many more users than advanced OMF exporting or FCP to Avid translation.

--

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jun 26, 2011 at 12:02:34 pm

Oh god knows I have plenty of hyperbole in me, I really do. But I will be throwing verbal bricks at Cupertino windows until my arm drops off, for the sheer bollocks that is this software.

Four features my arse Chris. The software is not fit for purpose. And they bloody well knew it when they made it. That is why I think they couldnt give a shite about professional editing, there is degree of logic to the conclusion if you think about it.

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jun 26, 2011 at 1:23:28 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "Four features my arse Chris. The software is not fit for purpose."

You hate the entire user interface. We get it. But your belief that the UI is unusable is not a fact, it's an opinion, and one which others disagree with.

--

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jun 26, 2011 at 1:29:18 pm

you would hack off your own arm defending this software and Apple Chris - we get it - and it's not that I hate any software per se - software never did anything to anybody, what I am is very angry with Apple for what they have done to the editing application, and by extension, the professionals who rely on that application to pay bills and feed mouths.

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jun 26, 2011 at 1:41:11 pm

You're not really saying anything specific enough to engage with there. FCP X's UI is, in my opinion, entirely suitable for professional editing. The app's only real problem is that there are, by my count, four really important features missing:

1. A way to export sequence data.
2. More control over audio exports.
3. Support for third-party I/O hardware.
4. Multicam.

Of these four things, Apple has explicitly told various parties that they're working on 1, 3, and 4.

This freak-out has more to do with what people imagine about Apple's motivations than it does with FCP X's potential for professional use.

--

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jun 26, 2011 at 1:44:05 pm

Yes well, I think we are both pretty clear on each other's positions at this point Chris - I say let us agree to disagree.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 26, 2011 at 3:50:09 pm

[Chris Kenny] "The app's only real problem is that there are, by my count, four really important features missing:

1. A way to export sequence data.
2. More control over audio exports.
3. Support for third-party I/O hardware.
4. Multicam.

Of these four things, Apple has explicitly told various parties that they're working on 1, 3, and 4."

There you go again, attributing things to Apple, when Apple has made no official statements anywhere.

If you're going to use that argument constantly as your primary ammunition to counter the main gripes of those who disagree with you, as you have done over, and over, and over again, at least have the decency to be accurate.

To clarify this argument for you and others yet again, the facts are: unnamed sources, allegedly from Apple, are reported to have disclosed that new features will be on the way at some point in time, which has yet to be determined.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Don't miss my new tutorial: Prepare for a seamless transition to FCP X and OS X Lion

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jun 26, 2011 at 4:20:16 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "To clarify this argument for you and others yet again, the facts are: unnamed sources, allegedly from Apple, are reported to have disclosed that new features will be on the way at some point in time, which has yet to be determined."

And if that's not FUD, I've never seen it.

--

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jun 26, 2011 at 4:50:36 pm

what? listen here you - that is a rational position to take given apple's behaviour up to this point. FUD my ass.
I'll tell you what Chris, there is a tremendous amount of uncertainty and doubt surrounding this software and do you know who has generated it?

APPLE.

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jun 26, 2011 at 4:58:33 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "what? listen here you - that is a rational position to take given apple's behaviour up to this point. FUD my ass.
I'll tell you what Chris, there is a tremendous amount of uncertainty and doubt surrounding this software and do you know who has generated it?

APPLE."

People have built up elaborate theories about Apple's plans and motivations based entirely on actions that have fairly mundane alternative explanations. Apple's (entirely normal for Apple) lack of communication about the future of FCP over the last three years or so has allowed those theories to exist, certainly.

But when Apple does start communicating, attempting to cast doubt on those communications though various unlikely scenarios (like Apple having product managers give false information to New York Times columnists) is pretty screwy.

--

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 26, 2011 at 5:05:27 pm

[Chris Kenny] "And if that's not FUD, I've never seen it."

Is that the best you can do Chris?

If you can't present your argument factually here, I certainly wonder how you're able to do it on the job? On the other hand, as a button pusher by trade, you haven't had to learn the principals of fact-based writing, debate, or journalism, so I guess that gives you a pass to say just about anything.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jun 26, 2011 at 5:14:51 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "If you can't present your argument factually here, I certainly wonder how you're able to do it on the job? On the other hand, as a button pusher by trade, you haven't had to learn the principals fact-based writing, debate, or journalism, so I guess that gives you a pass to say just about anything."

"Argument by being really patronizing" is not very effective. If people choose to believe Apple is lying to Hodgetts, Studio Daily, Pogue, etc. that's their prerogative, but it doesn't seem all that plausible to me.

--

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 26, 2011 at 5:44:05 pm

[Chris Kenny] " If people choose to believe Apple is lying to Hodgetts, Studio Daily, Pogue, etc. that's their prerogative, but it doesn't seem all that plausible to me."

That's your misinterpretation and a complete mischaracterization of my point of view. I never said anyone was lying about anything.

All I ask is that, if you're going to debate others here, or anywhere for that matter, by repeating a professional reporter's story who quotes anonymous sources, you need to say just that.

You can't simply cherry pick convenient parts of reportage and make them sound like official word from on high at Apple simply because it sounds impressive and bolsters your argument. Until a live human being representing Apple officially is willing to release the information you quote, it's only right in the interest of fairness to attribute it to an unnamed source, not from Apple itself.

Do you understand the difference?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jun 26, 2011 at 5:52:36 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "That's your misinterpretation complete mischaracterization of my point of view. I never said anyone was lying about anything. "

You have rejected my use of the word "lying", but as far as I can tell this is born of the common journalistic refusal to ever use that word. What you've said, as far as I can tell, is that the information FCP product managers are conveying to folks like Pogue about Apple's intent may not represent Apple's actual intent. That would have to involve something, somewhere, that I would call "lying", either on the part of product managers, or on the part of whoever within Apple is giving product managers their information.

[David Roth Weiss] "All I ask is that, if you're going to debate others here, or anywhere for that matter, by repeating a professional reporter's story who quotes anonymous sources, you need to say just that."

I have linked to the relevant articles multiple times. I am not making any attempt to hide any information about my sources.

--

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 26, 2011 at 6:40:03 pm

[Chris Kenny] "I am not making any attempt to hide any information about my sources.
"

Yet another non-sequitur - who said you're hiding anything. What you are doing is cherry-picking those words from the article that suit you and discarding others that don't. And, you're now suggesting that it's acceptable simply because you glue a link somewhere on the page that would ostensibly enable readers to compare the two side by side if they had the will to do so.

Your continued arguments against what are are the commonly accepted principles of attribution speaks volumes. If you don't even desire the appearance of integrity, that's sad. I don't roll that way myself, nor do I know many who do, so thanks for making it perfectly clear. And on that note I will have to say goodbye.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jun 26, 2011 at 6:47:58 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "Yet another non-sequitur - who said you're hiding anything. What you are doing is cherry-picking those words from the article that suit you and discarding others that don't."

What am I discarding? Are there other words in the same articles that say Apple won't add these features? Are there other articles from people who claim to have had direct contact with FCP product managers, that say Apple told them something different?

[David Roth Weiss] "If you don't even desire the appearance of integrity, that's sad. "

Just to remind everyone of the context here: apparently I "don't even desire the appearance of integrity" because I introduced information about what Apple is telling various media outlets into a debate where a bunch of people are spinning theories about Apple's intent and motivations in an almost complete information vacuum.

--

Return to posts index

Patrick Sheffield
on Jun 26, 2011 at 7:49:14 pm

So, do I take it that Apple, thru Pogue is telling the truth when they say they have no intention of ever supporting prior versions of Final Cut Pro projects?

'cause I know they are, at best, stretching the truth about some of what Pogue is saying for them.

Patrick Sheffield
Sheffield Softworks

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jun 26, 2011 at 9:10:44 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "cherry pick convenient parts of reportage and make them sound like official word from on high at Apple simply because it sounds impressive and bolsters your argument."

99% of the apple defenders resort to using this tactic, or the fact they just "know" what apple is going to do. Because that is all they have for ammo. They have no actual facts. They also cherry pick apples past actions to try and make their case. The other 1% just resort to name calling.
This has been going on since the NAB Supermeet demo.
This forum was filled with factless rhetoric based on a tightly controlled demo, with no Q&A session, or actual hands on testing. They went on and on with these buzz-word laced posts, making X seem like it was the second coming of Jesus. Any skeptics were promptly shouted down. Mostly with personal attacks, because just as now, they have no facts to base their opinion on.

Several things seem really clear when I read posts by the staunch apple defenders.
1. They committed to liking this release, and declaring it a winner very early on based on nothing. They spent countless hours telling us about paradigm shifts, and how apple is so smart, so cutting edge, and so committed to the professional market. Now they will have to defend apple at all costs to protect their reputation and back up their predictions.

2. Apple defenders are clearly more invested in the brand then they are their craft, or their peers and colleagues. This is actually very sad, and pathetic.

3. Apples cloak and dagger way it does business gives it the feel of an exclusive club for some of the apple defenders. Like the Skull and Bones, or Masons. Some just want the ego boost of looking like one of the famed insiders, and being privy to something the rest of us are not.

4. And last, but not least there are some that don't use the product in the traditional way, and have a financial stake in apples success. They earn a living from training, system set-up and the like. The EOL of FCS3 and the intro of X are an entirely new and lucrative revenue stream for them. Being critical of apple would be bad for them, their business, and their reputation.

In all this fray, I have to give major props and kudos to David Roth Weiss. While not an over the top early supporter of X, he was still very optimistic in many of his posts prior to the release. After the release was out, and he examined the facts as they stood, David sucked it up and was willing to admit it was not what he was hoping for. That not only takes a lot of balls, but shows that he has a lot of credibility.
Love X or not, I don't care. But those that unduly criticize David, or the other skeptics including myself need to take a good look in the mirror, and examine their own motives and credibility.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

I have a system, it has stuff in it, and stuff hooked to it. I have a camera, it can record stuff. I read the manuals, and know how to use this stuff and lots of other stuff too.
You should be suitably impressed...

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 26, 2011 at 4:30:36 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "new features will be on the way at some point in time,"

"It has been written" that the next feature upgrade will be in about 4 months. Yes, Apple should allow attribution when quoted on this but I suspect the sources are reliable.

Apple should learn how to professionally communicate with professionals but I don't disvalue or distrust the information I've been reading from those who have talked directly to Apple employees about this.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]