FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fresh Start Tube Mac Pro

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Maloney
Fresh Start Tube Mac Pro
on Nov 8, 2013 at 12:41:33 am

Hi all,

Say I want to sweep all my legacy Editing Kit off the table and start again - what am I looking at??$$$

We are a small shop mainly posting our own projects we don't share footage across edit suites we copy.

Tube Mac Pro specced as ???$$

Monitors?$$

Storage?$$

Audio monitoring$$

Ability to connect to in house server via ethernet -

Plan to run FCPX and CC

Can I still run FCP7? ( just to open old projects ).

Best

Tim Maloney
Managing Director
Axis Films Melbourne Australia
tim@axisfilms.com.au

Return to posts index

John Davidson
Re: Fresh Start Tube Mac Pro
on Nov 8, 2013 at 1:27:54 am

I'm budgeting about 8k per fully loaded mac pro with 64 gigs of RAM.
Cinema Display 27"- just 1. We've been using a single monitor with great effect for about 18 months. With 2 x 27" displays we needed wheels to slide from one screen to the other - it felt weird. 1k each.

Storage - $2500 for Promise Pegasus R6 I believe.

Audio monitoring. Drop $500 for some Bose Companions and you'll be happy. We have Adam's in one system, Mackie's in another, and another brand of speakers in a third - the Bose one's are what we like the most. No mixer, because there's less a point to them these days unless you need deck monitoring or want to play out from a DVD player, in which case studio speakers are preferred.

Ability to connect - the tube mac has GigE - which works fine for most HD formats. The server switch is up to you though - Server storage is a whoooooole other beast. Talk to Bob Zelin or Small Tree or David Roth Weiss at Promax.

Mavericks still runs FCP7, but Mavericks is still a little new and has some glitches here and there. Should be better by December (my guess).

Throw in a Blackmagic Mini-monitor to HDMI out to a Vizio Razor 37" monitor (your preference). $700 for mini-monitor and TV.

That help? In my opinion less clutter is more. Dumping the the mixers was a big deal for us. We have one left for sale if you really want one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171163620276?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p398...

Nobody really knows what the mac pro will cost fully loaded, so this might all change in December.

Good luck!

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
on Nov 8, 2013 at 8:12:29 am

+1 for the Pegasus R6. At that point I would buy the now announced Thunderbolt 2 Pegasus, which even will have up to an 8-bay version.

The Promise Pegasus Raids are still the fastest Thunderbolt Raids on the market and they are user friendly. They are not cheap, but they are not priced crazy expensive either, considering their performance and their market.

We use them for over a year and they have been wicked fast.

Return to posts index

Don Walker
on Nov 8, 2013 at 4:41:30 pm

John,

Do you do any multi cam projects? If so, is the gigabit ethernet storage fast enough to handle a 4 or 5 stream 1080i ProRes clip?

don walker
texarkana, texas

John 3:16

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
on Nov 8, 2013 at 5:09:18 pm

John,

GigaE is fast enough. There is a bug in multi-cam that would keep reporting dropped frames after every edit. If you checked, "don't warn again" or what ever the dialogue box said when it came up about dropped frames, the problem went away. Bob Zelin recently set up my 10 GigE and it is blazing fast and more bang for the buck!

Warren Eig
O 310-470-0905

email: warren@babyboompictures.com

REEL: http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/Reels.html

Return to posts index

Tim Maloney
Fresh Start Tube Mac Pro
on Nov 11, 2013 at 12:45:17 am

Thanks for those notes.

All seems quite reasonable to me

When I first tooled up with FCP/Cinewave the whole suite was 60 odd K.

And that investment came after I nearly sprang for an Avid Symphony at 200K plus!!!

I'll seriously look at the new Mac Pro - after its done the rounds on Creative Cow!!

Cheers

Tim Maloney
Managing Director
Axis Films Melbourne Australia
tim@axisfilms.com.au

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]