FORUMS: list search recent posts

Better snap up those Mac Pro towers while ye may

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Roth Weiss
Better snap up those Mac Pro towers while ye may
on Nov 6, 2013 at 9:00:35 pm

For those of you who do need workstations with PCIe slots, etc., like Mac Pro 12-core towers, you'd better run out and grab 'em now, because they are pretty much GONE, GONE, GONE.

Apple is NOT taking any more orders on any CTO (custom) machines, and while a few pre-built machines may be left, they are few an far between, even at places like Mac Mall that have always tended to have inventory.

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com

Sales | Integration | Support

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Better snap up those Mac Pro towers while ye may
on Nov 6, 2013 at 9:14:56 pm

Yep. The pipeline is drying up. I recently had to get my MP repaired at the Apple Store. This required a number of MP-specific parts to do troubleshooting. It took them over a week to get those in and AFAIK, so had to come from another nearby stores as corporate couldn't confirm a shipping date on one of the parts. Apple will have to continue to be able to service these units, but not necessarily in a timely manner, now that they are EOL'ed.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Nov 6, 2013 at 9:42:56 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Apple will have to continue to be able to service these units, but not necessarily in a timely manner, now that they are EOL'ed."

Hopefully that will help the resale value of my Tower if I opt for a Tube.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Nov 7, 2013 at 2:43:37 am

While I just sold my old 2,1, I'm keeping my 4,1 tower running a while longer - just added Cal-Digit USB 3/eSATA card and adding GTX 780 tonight - about as good as I can get until tube time...

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
on Nov 8, 2013 at 1:59:03 pm

It's going to be guaranteed that a promax system will perform better than the mac tube. The configuration possibilities are undeniable.

I've been a mac guy for nearly a decade at home. This is my first job where we use PCs... and I'm really noticing the power...and the fact that Windows 7 is a very capable OS.

For now, though, I'm still clinging to my OSX.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Nov 8, 2013 at 2:15:21 pm

I'd be interested to see some input from Adobe on this as they are cross platform

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
on Nov 8, 2013 at 2:18:37 pm

I suspect that Adobe's official stance will be "it's great on both!" as they don't want to alienate anyone. However, I thought it's been the consensus for years that Adobe products perform better on Windows if the specs are evenly matched. If I could remember the URLs of such articles/tests, I'd link them, but these are things I've only casually paid attention to, so I don't have them handy.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Nov 8, 2013 at 3:11:52 pm

[Daniel Frome] "However, I thought it's been the consensus for years that Adobe products perform better on Windows if the specs are evenly matched."

That has been my experience (I am dual platform).

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Nov 8, 2013 at 7:44:08 pm

I was at a demo of Resolve 10 by Peter Chamberlain the Resolve project manager at BMD who said that the AMD GPUs would have equal performance. He says more about this here: http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9739

After installing Resolve 10 non beta this morning I no longer have to click the warning that my HD 7950 GPU sucks. I don't notice any less performance in Resolve, but I notice a huge boost in FCPX.

Return to posts index

Martin Curtis
on Nov 10, 2013 at 10:21:02 am

IIRC, some people said the same thing about Macs with NuBus slots, Macs with 68k chips and Macs with PPC chips…

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]