FORUMS: list search recent posts

Template drop zones not respecting in/out points

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bret Williams
Template drop zones not respecting in/out points
on Nov 6, 2013 at 4:20:23 pm

I'm trying to drop some clips into the drop zone of some templates and it doesn't respect my in/out points. Always starts at the beginning of the clip. This is a motionvfx purchased template/motion 5 project. I'm not a big template user but when time and budget is a reality... Anyway, I thought this was an issue in older versions of X. Is there a trick to get drop zones to respect your in and out points? I dragging from the event directly to the drop zone. FWIW my event is in thumbnail mode.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
Re: Template drop zones not respecting in/out points
on Nov 6, 2013 at 4:54:41 pm

Here's what I decided about drop zones back at the time of the release of 10.0.9 - don't know if it's true, but it seemed to be true.

In version 10.0.9 Apple seem to have resolved most of the remaining issues with the use of Drop Zones.

You can now pick the first frame that you want to see in your DropZone clip by selecting it directly from the Browser.

Click on the Drop Zone image well, skim to the frame that you want, click and then Apply Clip.

You will now get consistent results even after export, and even after a restart (which could reset the chosen frame previously).

Note that you can longer use the older technique whereby you selected a clip directly off the timeline. Or rather you have to make a compound clip of it first and then select it. If you don't make a compound clip first you will get only a freeze of your source material.

The Drop Zone will use the compound clip from its start frame - you cannot choose a specific frame as you can if you select from the Browser. It might look as though you can when you hit Apply Clip but this is not the frame you will get.

I hope this information is correct - Drop Zones have never yet been reliable and theories as to how they work have frequently been subject to change. Here's hoping Apple have fixed the problem once and for all. Please do correct me if your experience differs from the above.

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 6, 2013 at 5:19:41 pm

Excellent info I'll try it. I had placed clips in the timeline thinking that was working, but then I realized it was grabbing a freeze frame from the last frame of the clip in the timeline! WTF? I'll try the click on the frame in the event method and post results.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Nov 6, 2013 at 5:30:27 pm

It would be great to know how you get on.

Apple have silently changed the way drop zones work in X/M5 several times already by my reckoning and it's never actually been documented so trial and error seems to be the only way to go.

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Coury
on Oct 10, 2014 at 6:39:05 pm

I'm still having the same issue. I'm unable to specific the starting point for a number of DropZones.

I tried to do the trick mentioned above where you manually select the start point and then click apply. It seems so work on some clip and not on others... with no real indication as to why? Very frustrating!

It is also a template purchased from MotionVFX.

Running FCPX 10.1.1

Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]