FORUMS: list search recent posts

FWIW - New Benchmarks

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>

Marcus Moore
Re: FWIW - New Benchmarks
on Nov 6, 2013 at 1:16:53 am

Nothing too surprising. What you'd expect when compared to the 8-core version from last month. The 12-core version was benchmarked using a different version of Geekbench, so we don't have a strict comparison for that one yet.

Through truthfully, I think the application task specific performance figures on Apple's MacPro site are much more useful than the raw benchmark scores.

If I had to bet, I'd say that whenever the Apple online store goes down for the "later in November" launch of the Retina iPad mini- I think it will also bring the full configuration ordering and ship date for the MacPro.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Nov 6, 2013 at 4:08:17 pm

Some more detailed CPU performance estimates across all 4 processor options.

http://www.primatelabs.com/blog/2013/11/estimating-mac-pro-performance/

While I'm very likely to go for the highest end GPUs for obvious reasons, the CPU is the place where I'd love to save a bit of money. Depending on how well parallelized FCPX and Motion are, the 8-core with the higher clock speed might be the better bet.

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Nov 6, 2013 at 8:00:30 pm

[Marcus Moore] "Depending on how well parallelized FCPX and Motion are, the 8-core with the higher clock speed might be the better bet."

One benefit to the E5-1680v2 3 GHz 8-core configuration is that it comes with 25MB of L3 cache compared to less than half that for the E5-1650v2 3.5 GHz 6-core configuration.

I’m hoping some site will do a decent benchmark of the various options using real-world video applications. Although getting the equipment to benchmark would be very costly; Apple should loan at least a few different configurations to Barefeats or other similar site with the proviso that Apple’s Pro Apps are included in the published results.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Nov 6, 2013 at 8:05:07 pm

Barefeats has done this before, by sending out for benchmark results to, I guess, people they know with different hardware configurations.

Of all the benchmarks so far, the one's on Apple's own MacPro performance page are the most seemingly relevant to me. Especially because they appear to have been done using the upcoming software (with whatever improvements that will bring)

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Nov 6, 2013 at 8:16:40 pm

[Marcus Moore] "Of all the benchmarks so far, the one's on Apple's own MacPro performance page are the most seemingly relevant to me. Especially because they appear to have been done using the upcoming software (with whatever improvements that will bring)"

Good point about using the next release software: maybe Barefeats could even have access to that under NDA for purposes of the test results only!

Marcus, I think the benchmark results on Apple’s Mac Pro pages are all using a fully maxed out 12-core D700 configuration. So that is of limited use, for those who are going that route (which I likely cannot afford). I was meaning benchmarks of different core and GPU configurations.

Of course I could be wrong because I haven’t checked Apple’s pages for a while.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]