FORUMS: list search recent posts

Slightly OT: What're the editing and sound applications of choice in Seattle area?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Jacek
Slightly OT: What're the editing and sound applications of choice in Seattle area?
on Nov 5, 2013 at 7:55:48 pm

Since it somewhat relates to the topic, I hope you'll allow me a little latitude here. I started a new job teaching at a tech college in the Seattle area, and we're going to make some curricular and purchasing decisions soon. We will likely have the Adobe slate of products regardless, but I'm trying to decide whether to add other products like Avid MC, or whether to upgrade Protools. So for those of you in the Northwest, what are people using these days? Also, how is the Mac/PC balance?

Thanks

Chris

Professor, Producer, Editor
and former Apple Employee

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Slightly OT: What're the editing and sound applications of choice in Seattle area?
on Nov 5, 2013 at 10:16:36 pm

I would certainly look to upgrading Pro Tools. Regardless of the NLE wars for picture editing, Pro Tools is still the 800 Lb, gorilla for audio post and music. You may want to have a some seats of Media Composer as well - with student pricing at $295 with 4 years of upgrades, it is still the stalwart of NLE's in many of the bigger studio, production companies and broadcast and that latter is balanced out with Adobe. I have always wanted to use the word "stalwart" and I did. :)

Michael

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Slightly OT: What're the editing and sound applications of choice in Seattle area?
on Nov 5, 2013 at 10:24:05 pm

As far as PC/MAC - that's a tougher one. I see this radius around LA going from 80/20 Mac to 50/50 as you get further away. Broadcast and broadcast post type environments will be a pretty even split. You'll even find differences between the main post being PC and the marketing side Mac, etc. If you look worldwide, it's a pretty even 50/50.

Michael

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Nov 6, 2013 at 12:38:35 am

Hey Chris,

It seems like Avid is gaining a fair amount of traction in town with PPro also coming on pretty strong. I've seen a few folks go the FCPX route, but that's only for editing. For those who edit and do motion graphics, the Adobe Suite still seems to be most popular. As far as Mac and PC, folks on the mograph/VFX side are pretty equally split. Editors are still favoring Macs, but I've seen more and more people seriously looking at PC options. At least, that's what I've seen.

Where are you teaching? I may have opportunities for interns next quarter. :-)

Thanks,

Shawn

Return to posts index

Chris Jacek
on Nov 6, 2013 at 2:35:33 am

Thanks for the great input, guys. So far your comments are supporting what my instincts have been telling me, but I've only been in the state for about 6 weeks, so your real-world insights have been very helpful.

I'm teaching at Lake Washington Institute of Technology in Kirkland. Internship opportunities are always welcomed. I continually tell me students that an internship is the single-best way to prepare and network for their post-college job search.

From what I've been hearing, Motion Graphics have a big presence here, especially in non-traditional media. Since After Effects will likely always have a place in our curriculum, the Premiere portion seemed a no-brainer. Before I started advocating too strongly for adding Avid (and updating Protools), I wanted to make sure they both still hold positions of relevance here locally. From what I'm hearing so far, it sounds like the answer is "yes." It also sounds like it may be a good idea to advocate for cross-platform instruction as well.

Any thoughts on 3D for the non-animator? My instincts on this one tell me to look at Cinema 4D. Am I on the right track, or are there more attractive options?

Professor, Producer, Editor
and former Apple Employee

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Nov 6, 2013 at 6:08:14 pm

[Chris Jacek] "I'm teaching at Lake Washington Institute of Technology in Kirkland. Internship opportunities are always welcomed. I continually tell me students that an internship is the single-best way to prepare and network for their post-college job search."

Awesome, feel free to PM me about the program, you can reach me at shawn.x.miller-AT-avanade-DOT-com. Also (in case you didn't know), you're about 15 minutes from Microsoft Studios, one of the largest production and post production houses in the state.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/productionstudios/Default.aspx

I think just about everyone who does corporate work in the area has worked there at one time or another. They used to be an Avid house, then FCP (classic), now they're back to Avid again (as I understand). It's definitely worth getting a tour and getting to know some folks there. :-)

[Chris Jacek] "From what I've been hearing, Motion Graphics have a big presence here, especially in non-traditional media. Since After Effects will likely always have a place in our curriculum, the Premiere portion seemed a no-brainer."

Absolutely. We have a fair amount of corporate and broadcast work here... Amazon, Microsoft (Production studios and Game Studios), Boeing, Starbucks, Macy's, just to name a few. Not always an easy circle to break into, but for motion graphics artists (particularly those who can edit), this is not a bad place to be.

[Chris Jacek] " It also sounds like it may be a good idea to advocate for cross-platform instruction as well."

Yes, considering the area, I think cross platform experience is a must.

[Chris Jacek] "Any thoughts on 3D for the non-animator? My instincts on this one tell me to look at Cinema 4D. Am I on the right track, or are there more attractive options?"

Your instincts are right on. For the serious motion graphics artist, 3D animation is a STRONG advantage. It used to be that mograph and VFX were two completely distinct fields... not anymore. Some of the best work in mograph today is really a blend of VFX and motion graphics. 3D tracking, rotoscoping, strong composting skills and 3D lighting are a MUST for high end mograph work. For examples, see the graphics in Oblivion (AE/C4D), the HUDs in Ironman (1,2 and 3) (AE/C4D), and the end titles for Pacific Rim (AE/C4D). Also worth considering is Cinema 4D's tools for motion graphics work; they really have become the industry standard for mograph artists world wide. One of the reasons for this IMO, is that Cinema4D's animation system is very much like AE's. If you understand how keyframes work in AE, C4D is a much easier easier hill to climb. Note, I'm not saying that C4D can do things that other 3D applications can't... just that Maxon has tools that make the job easier. Lastly (on the subject), Cinema4D and AE are VERY powerful together. They have the best integration story between an animation/effects/compositing application and a 3D application than any other combination of applications on the market. Especially for the single operator.

Thanks,

Shawn

Return to posts index

James Culbertson
on Nov 6, 2013 at 6:10:22 am

I'd say most of the folks I work around are still using FCP7 with a fairly even split of Premiere and FCPX otherwise. I would tend toward picking the best editor and motion graphics app independently of each other. For my professional needs that is FCPX and After Effects currently. Definitely you should settle on Cinema 4D for more editing/motion graphics friendly 3D needs. I am just starting to teach FCPX, After Effects, and Cinema 4D at a local high school part time. FCPX in particular is an amazing teaching tool. I've taught FCP legacy and Premiere in the past, but FCPX practically teaches itself... I've not yet quite figured out why it is so intuitive to today's students. The day I was to begin teaching FCPX my projector went on the blink so I had to go around the room and work with each team of 4 students individually. All I had to do was point out where to access the import window and how to create a project timeline and they were doing basic editing without any further input from me. Some of them have subsequently gone on to try out Premiere CC and FCP7 so FCPX is a good intro tool even if you eventually want to take them to other editing tools.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]