FORUMS: list search recent posts

What Apple is really doing ..... And I commend them

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nigel Thompson
What Apple is really doing ..... And I commend them
on Jun 25, 2011 at 11:09:58 pm

I'm sure this thread will go nuts but here goes.

One of the things that i've grown accustomed to in this biz is the egos of the people in it. Egos so big that you would think the world revolves around some of these people and what they want is the only thing that matters. Of course these people crap ice cream as well.

This ego prevents them from learning, understanding and seeing down the road.
We have all been accustomed to our industry doing things in a particular manner then along comes Apple with FCP and the game has been changed forever. open architecture etc etc.

FCP X is no different. All they are doing with the product is making it more open. The idea (from where im standing) is to create a new platform for post that is scalable, thats all. Meaning they provide FCP X as the base and a huge ecosystem happens around it (USING THEIR NEW API) to make ad ons that will suit the needs of of each studio who uses them.
So if you are a pro doing match backs to film and need to send stuff off to the sound guys for scoring you buy those plugins that do that. if you need extra plug for effects you buy those. but your bases system has an Api that affords you real time responsiveness. Thats all

Its actually not a new way of thinking they have been doing it with logic for quite a while. My brother is a music producer and his plug in library is worth at least 10 times what logic is.

Yes it is a serious paradigm shift for us but it makes sense, to me at least. the app is scalable and quick.

And all the argument that its for prosumers blah blah, arent we the same people who say the application does not make the editor ? so what are you all worried about.

I myself did NOT buy this first version, why ? because im not stupid and i never buy 1.0 of anything. i wait and see how things play out and see if i have to change the way i work for any reason..

Apple this was a great idea but all you had to do is explain that to your users and all they idiots yapping would not have been ringing in your ear all this past week.
Being secretive will NOT work all the time, im sure you learned that now.

So MY FCP X setup (that ill be getting at the end of the year LOL) will be ready for work when im ready to switch to it.

and no it wont just cost me 299. it will also cost OMF i/o, XML (or whatever the hell its going to be) i/o. magic bullet looks FX plugs i love, Da vinci, cuz i need a real grading app. by then my kona will work with it. And those are the costs of being a pro.

believe me Aunt suzie is now gonna buy an f)*&* kona card or OMF export to edit the neighborhood football match (soccer to some of you here)

there are thing that need to be remedied but all in good time.

RED,DSLR, FCS and more,
High End, Production & Post Production
in the Caribbean
http://www.bistt.com

Return to posts index

John Davidson
Re: What Apple is really doing ..... And I commend them
on Jun 25, 2011 at 11:21:13 pm

One interesting thing I'd like to add. Logic exports OMF's. No plugins required.

Before launch I made a comment that 'there's no way FCPX won't support at minimum a 'send to logic option'. I was very wrong. Not having that is actually very un-Apple. They've been pushing interoperability between Apple applications for many years now. I'm sure they'll fix it, but it's certainly a head scratcher.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Nigel Thompson
on Jun 25, 2011 at 11:24:22 pm

head scratcher indeed

RED,DSLR, FCS and more,
in the Caribbean

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 25, 2011 at 11:39:53 pm

[Nigel Thompson] "head scratcher indeed"

Lunacy really. It's as though all logic and reason were suddenly cast aside.

What was the status of the moon on the night before the 21st of June?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new tutorial: Prepare for a seamless transition to FCP X and OS X Lion
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/FCP-10-MAC-Lion/1

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Glenn Venghaus
on Jun 26, 2011 at 11:35:57 am

[ John Davidson ] One interesting thing I'd like to add. Logic exports OMF's. No plugins required.

Before launch I made a comment that 'there's no way FCPX won't support at minimum a 'send to logic option'. I was very wrong. Not having that is actually very un-Apple. They've been pushing interoperability between Apple applications for many years now. I'm sure they'll fix it, but it's certainly a head scratcher.

I am not surprised. Next step from Apple is to ditch Logic if they keep up this pattern of destroying their pro branch in favor of the iphone/ipad stuff that makes all their money.
They have garage band so why keep logic....
Logic X is coming soon

I was a fanatic and dedicated Logic user , when it was still Emagic (actualy already since it was running on Ataris and called different). Also had some Emegic hardware. All on Windows PC's
Then one day out of the blue Apple stepped in and bought Emagic and dropped all support for Logic on Windows (eol).
Yeah sure we got a crossgrade option to switch to a mac for a few thousend euros and an amazing 10 euro or so discount.
I gave Apple the finger then and stayed on Logic for windows untill it died due to no more updates and lacking features etc in an audio industry moving forward rapidly. Now very happy with Ableton (different beast of course) and caved in for mac hardware , which still rocks.

Just finished an Final cut server implementation with lots of nice automated workflow for my small project studion...... (insert crying sounds)
Will try and keep using it as a main asset management, but the FCP integration was a winner in my book.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jun 25, 2011 at 11:45:24 pm

I said this below, and its true, there really isn't a lot of time - a major british broadcaster is dumping, well was in the process, of, and is now accelerating, dumping FCP as an editing platform, an international american 24 hour news channel with a major base in london is receiving directives from engineering to EOL all the FCP7 suites, there are annual budgets, and the software apple have produced here is completely, completely unfit for purpose, don't anyone please I beg you argue that point - the only thing pushing against the engineering crew is the talent saying that there won't be a skills base of freelancers to operate the PPRO engineering wants to install this cycle - that's true and its forestalling action, but not for very long. We're not talking months of grace.

making vague prognostications about future extensibility, and saying we should prepare to pay vast sums beyond the original cost of FCS3 in order to retain basic functionality if it arrives, is no argument at all - there are core issues with the software (its moronic) that no XML hooks or python framework or whatever the hell it will be if and when it ever arrives -these are no answer to the basic idiocy of the timeline itself, the media management or the project sharing, (or the complete and utter lack thereof),
people may say that some of our hair is on fire, I would argue rather that the entire professional editing FCP house is on fire and we're standing in the middle of it - tell me to go to premiere if I'm unhappy and I will give you a sweet for originality, moving to another editing system is unpalatable but eminently feasible - but that rather gets away from the fact that apple just set my entire ten years worth of software specific skills base on fire.
And amn't I one of those creative people they rabbit on about? you know - the crazy ones? disingenuous arseholes Apple are.

FCP as a professional application is pretty much going down in flames around us, and apple did that so they could sell the utter bollocks software they cooked up as a thoughtless mass ipod scale consumer purchase. They pulled the ripcord and blew up all our houses (I do like some hyperbole) to make themselves some more of that cash they so desperately crave.

This image, I found, really sums it all up:

http://bit.ly/jIUH2N

famous quote from Abraham Lincoln:
"Randy Ubillos, you total and utter moron, FCP7 wasn't a multitrack editor, editing is a multitrack operation, editing systems are intended to be an expression of that truth."

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Sohrab Sandhu
on Jun 26, 2011 at 12:49:54 am

[Nigel Thompson] "I myself did NOT buy this first version, why ? because im not stupid and i never buy 1.0 of anything. i wait and see how things play out and see if i have to change the way i work for any reason.."

So why can't you wait to give your opinion untill you have used the software? Lol.

Sohrab

2.66 GHz 8-core, ATI Radeon HD 4870,
FCS 3, AJA Kona Lhi

"The creative person wants to be a know-it-all. He wants to know about all kinds of things: ancient history, nineteenth-century mathematics, current manufacturing techniques, flower arranging, and hog futures. Because he never knows when these ideas might come together to form a new idea. It may happen six minutes later or six months, or six years down the road. But he has faith that it will happen." -- Carl Ally

Return to posts index

TS O'Grady
on Jun 26, 2011 at 3:07:27 am

[Sohrab Sandhu] "So why can't you wait to give your opinion untill you have used the software? Lol."

You didn't. You were all over FCP X after the super meet. Don't expect from others what you are unable to do yourself.

Return to posts index

Sohrab Sandhu
on Jun 26, 2011 at 3:41:24 am

[TS O'Grady] "You didn't. You were all over FCP X after the super meet. Don't expect from others what you are unable to do yourself."

And you see, i was not wrong either

Sohrab

2.66 GHz 8-core, ATI Radeon HD 4870,
FCS 3, AJA Kona Lhi

"The creative person wants to be a know-it-all. He wants to know about all kinds of things: ancient history, nineteenth-century mathematics, current manufacturing techniques, flower arranging, and hog futures. Because he never knows when these ideas might come together to form a new idea. It may happen six minutes later or six months, or six years down the road. But he has faith that it will happen." -- Carl Ally

Return to posts index

Tom Babauta
on Jun 26, 2011 at 3:11:05 am

I just cant see myself waiting for who knows how long to get plug in manufacturers make fcpx a better piece of software. One that will do AT LEAST the basic pro functionality it had before. We dont even know if they ever will.

And if more pros abandon the fcpx platform, and since fcp7 is already EOL today, these plugin guys wont be able to make much new sales today. Why would they risk developing for fcpx when current fcpx incarnation is more for home use and usually these users dont buy specialized plugins.

As a wiser business decision, if I were in their shoes, I would concentrate my already small development team to software that I know has my target market in mind, which would be PP and Avid.

Return to posts index

Nigel Thompson
on Jun 27, 2011 at 11:59:17 am

WOW !!!!

in case you guys have not seen it

http://provideocoalition.com/index.php/ssimmons/story/the_final_cut_pro_x_v...

RED,DSLR, FCS and more,
in the Caribbean

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]