FORUMS: list search recent posts

Disappearing Events, Missing Drives

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Casey Pegram
Disappearing Events, Missing Drives
on Jun 25, 2011 at 10:32:05 pm

I'm experiencing some very strange behavior in FCPX. Right from the start, FCPX only recognized two drives in my system: an external eSATA drive, and an external USB2 drive. Missing were my internal Macintosh HD drive, another internal SATA drive, and my RAID0 stripe of two more SATA drives. My system is a 2008 Mac Pro, by the way.

Further, I've created several events and projects only to have the events stop showing up after I quit and reopened FCPX. The projects remain intact, containing all my media referenced from my events, but the event library is empty. I've checked to make sure I'm not accidentally filtering out all my events, and I've even tried opening the events from the Finder into FCPX, which simply goes back to the project browser.

I'm trying my best to give Apple the benefit of the doubt here - even if in the short term I'll definitely be moving towards Premiere CS5 - but I can barely even learn the ropes of editing on this new system with this kind of glitchy behavior.

I should add, more worryingly perhaps, that I -do- have FCP7 installed on the same drive. If I can muster up the patience perhaps I'll try a fresh install on a new OS partition and see if my results are any different. I'm probably due a fresh OS install come Lion anyway - I've been migrating OS'es since Panther :)

Thanks for any help.

Return to posts index

Mario Gongora
Re: Disappearing Events, Missing Drives
on Jul 4, 2011 at 1:23:07 am

I'm also observing the same behavior. Really annoying if you ask me. I can only see 2 of the 4 events on my drive (???). Anybody have a solution?
Thanks!
Mario.

Return to posts index

Rabbe Sandelin
on Jul 25, 2011 at 12:38:08 pm

Same problem here. I have several internal drives, and made some events and projects on some of them. Could edit really nicely, and closed FCPX at the end of the day.

Next day, the events show up for as long as the FCPX splash screen is visible, then they disappear. Projects are fine, likewise the event folder structure looks intact on the drive. Very strange.

Tried the tips from people who had their external drives not showing up (checking journaling, permissions, renaming files with "video" in them, deleting old mp4 files etc). Nothing works.

Deleted Perian, WMV Player etc.

Very, very frustrating, as the FCPX workflow seems to be very good for me. Would really like to continue learning.

Cheers,
Rabbe

Return to posts index

Fred Waycoot
on Aug 4, 2011 at 7:23:07 pm

Uggg. I spose you could back up your events to whichever drive is most reliable... even though that's not the best answer.
Just curious, Casey and Rabbe, how are your drives formatted? Are they exfat? Or RAD volumes? Are you also using these drives for time machine?
Have you reached out to apple, sometimes they have answers for these type of problems.

-Fred Waycoot
Editor/Colorist/Filmmaking Guy

Return to posts index

Rabbe Sandelin
on Aug 4, 2011 at 8:28:55 pm

Hi

My drives are normal HFS+ formatted.

Turned out I had some Word files on the drives with the word "final" in the file names. Changed them, and the drives showed up in FCP X.

Really, Apple, get your act together.

Cheers,
Rabbe

Return to posts index

david johnston
on May 17, 2012 at 4:26:58 pm

Same problem. Think it started when I had 2 drives (one a thunderbolt i/o and the other usb) plugged in at same time. One drive was an exact duplicate of the other. -- I was doing a redundant backup to keep the data safe!

FCPX got confused, only loaded some of events from one of the drives. Now even with one drive only plugged in, the events sporadically show up and when they do load, the files are unlinked.

Since I have many projects, many files, this seems to me an obvious BUG.
Surveying online forums, many similar postings are out there.
No simple feasible solution exists for cases like mine where the folders sit on drives that have thousands of other files and folders that might be causing conflict.

Conclusion: FCPX is not for me. Unstable.
But I'd love to retrieve my work. Any solutions out there?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]