FORUMS: list search recent posts

A RAID Array to go with your shiny new Mac Pro Sir?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Connor
A RAID Array to go with your shiny new Mac Pro Sir?
on Oct 24, 2013 at 5:28:30 pm

http://www.promise.com/news_room/news.aspx?m=23®ion=en-global&rsn=1137

http://www.promise.com/promotion_page/promotion_page.aspx?region=en-global&...

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: A RAID Array to go with your shiny new Mac Pro Sir?
on Oct 24, 2013 at 6:35:23 pm

but it's so boxy!

Return to posts index

Keith Koby
on Oct 25, 2013 at 12:29:37 am

But it does 4k so nobody will ever find it useful. It's just marketing baloney.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 25, 2013 at 12:34:56 am

RIght!

How could I be so silly.

Return to posts index

Dan Stewart
on Oct 25, 2013 at 10:30:52 am

Does anyone know if you could load these things with SSDs? And if so, what sort of performance you'd see?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 25, 2013 at 12:07:21 pm

Dan,
yes, you can load these things with SSD drives, and your question, is the #1 question I have when I get my hands on a Tbolt 2 interface - how fast will it go ! This is a critical question, and for me, will determine if the 2008-2012 Mac Pro can truly be retired.
Remember, you can get 1500 MB/sec with any 16 bay SATA RAID array, using a 2008 3,1 Mac Pro, so the benchmark for a new Mac Pro with Tbolt 2 is to at least be able to do that.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

Keith Koby
on Oct 25, 2013 at 12:38:07 pm

Bob - Do you achieve that with direct attach dual 8 Gb fibre channel? That is serious speed. It equates to 12 Gbs, which I know they have for fibre interconnects, but I've never seen on an HBA.

Keith

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
on Oct 25, 2013 at 4:36:15 pm

You'd get that with any decent 8x HBA as long as it's sitting in an 8x slot. Even with only 8 6G drives an an Areca card in an 8x slot you're getting beyond 1100 in Raid 6 mode.

------
"You also agree that you will not use these products for... the development, design, manufacture or production of nuclear, missiles, or chemical or biological weapons."
iTunes End User Licence Agreement

Return to posts index

Keith Koby
on Oct 25, 2013 at 4:53:43 pm

Hey Frank! what's happening? Long time man!

A "little birdie" has told me that it is possible to saturate the 20 Gb t-bolt pipe with the 8 sled box. I didn't get confirmation of the type of drives or stripe. I would imagine it's got to be raid0.

20 Gbs = 2560 MBs

There has to be some overhead though.

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
on Oct 25, 2013 at 5:33:54 pm

Doing fine, thanks for asking Keith. Having a peek in here every now and then.
I think you'll see rates of around 1200 with TB2 on average, not much higher. It's still PCIe 4x at it's core and this is pretty much what initial demos of TB2 raids peaked at.
Which, of course, is very fast and sufficient for most people.

[Keith Koby] "Hey Frank! what's happening? Long time man!

A "little birdie" has told me that it is possible to saturate the 20 Gb t-bolt pipe with the 8 sled box. I didn't get confirmation of the type of drives or stripe. I would imagine it's got to be raid0.

20 Gbs = 2560 MBs

There has to be some overhead though.
"

------
"You also agree that you will not use these products for... the development, design, manufacture or production of nuclear, missiles, or chemical or biological weapons."
iTunes End User Licence Agreement

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Oct 26, 2013 at 2:36:41 pm

[Frank Gothmann] "You'd get that with any decent 8x HBA as long as it's sitting in an 8x slot. Even with only 8 6G drives an an Areca card in an 8x slot you're getting beyond 1100 in Raid 6 mode."

On another forum, someone as an aside without explanation emphatically p[osted, “Don’t buy a 6-bay array.” I had thought the Pegasus R6 might be a good match for the Mac Pro, but after your comment and that other post’s warning, I think this may be the rationale: a 6-bay array just can’t match the > 1 GB/s transfer speeds of a larger RAID array using 7200 rpm hard disks.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Oct 26, 2013 at 11:17:24 pm

Bob,

I will be setting up an editing lab with Pegasus r4 raid enclosures (18 units) as the media drives. Do you have any suggestions for a security cage/enclosure to put them in to prevent drives from being removed and units stolen.

dimensions about: width 7.5" depth 10 " height 8".

This is for a High School production program.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Oct 25, 2013 at 5:06:52 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "but it's so boxy!"

The embarrassing part will be when someone tries to insert a USB stick into it, thinking it's the CPU... meanwhile the other guy is pouring a beverage into the fan of your MacPro thinking it's an aluminum beverage holder...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]