FORUMS: list search recent posts

NFS does not work with OS X Mavericks

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Zelin
NFS does not work with OS X Mavericks
on Oct 24, 2013 at 3:23:11 pm

so my little trick for getting ADD SAN Location to FCP X does not work with OS X Mavericks. Only up to
OS X 10.8.5. I am very disappointed.

There is a note about problems on the Bresink website. Hopefully, Apple will reinstate NFS as a network protocol.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
Re: NFS does not work with OS X Mavericks
on Oct 24, 2013 at 4:46:19 pm

Bob,

You're an earlier adopter?! What else is broken? Are your SANS working? FCP 7.0.3? Areca and ATTO NS card drivers?

I'm curious.

Hope you are well.

Warren Eig
O 310-470-0905

email: warren@babyboompictures.com

REEL: http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/Reels.html

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Oct 24, 2013 at 5:01:28 pm

[Warren Eig] "FCP 7.0.3?"

Works fine...

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 24, 2013 at 9:47:34 pm

Hi Warren -
I will call you directly, and discuss what is, and what is not working.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

Eugeny Korkhin
on Oct 24, 2013 at 4:54:11 pm

so my little trick for getting ADD SAN Location to FCP X does not work with OS X Mavericks.

While that sounds too overstated to call it YOUR trick, thanks for the info. Forewarned is forearmed.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 24, 2013 at 9:51:21 pm

Hi Eugeny,

if you would read my DAMN posts on this forum, you will see that I gave 100% credit for this to Amanda Burns at Florida Atlantic University for discovering this. I also mention that John Heagy
had discussed this in April 2013, while never sharing detailed information, and more recently, Jeff Kirkland in Australia had this working, but never mentioned this on Creative Cow, until I mentioned it. Some people don't like to share !

With that said Eugeny, you have always been willing to share, and were instrumental in showing me your AVID Media Composer workflow on a generic shared storage system, to which I am greatful for.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Oct 25, 2013 at 4:03:37 am

[Bob Zelin] "I also mention that John Heagy
had discussed this in April 2013, while never sharing detailed information, and more recently, Jeff Kirkland in Australia had this working, but never mentioned this on Creative Cow, until I mentioned it. Some people don't like to share !"

Just to comment on that: For the record I love to share and frequently do. I didn't mention it because nobody asked, I thought it was common knowledge, and I was fairly sure I got the info from the COW forums in the first place. I think John Heagy's original post got me started and then it was just a matter of Googling how to do it.

Just about to update all my computers to Mavericks so lets see if I can get NFS back up and running again.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Eugeny Korkhin
on Oct 25, 2013 at 6:46:43 am

Hi Bob!

Don't take it that serious. I've certainly read your posts (DAMN posts, if you wish) and saw you giving credits. "My little trick" was like a knife into my ear and made me smile and want to reply. No offence))

And while you're right that some people don't like to share, others just don't like to examine. They want their food to be chewed by others up to the point when they don't even need to make any effort to swallow it.

[Jeff Kirkland] "I think John Heagy's original post got me started and then it was just a matter of Googling how to do it."

Jeff is ABSOLUTELY right. Google today is almost built in into your palm! Googling for "nfs mac" is not a big deal. 6 symbols to type! (7 with space) And guess what:

FIRST! The first result!

When I saw that thread in April, it took ~15 minutes to find, install and test it.

[Bob Zelin] "John Heagy had discussed this in April 2013, while never sharing detailed information, and more recently, Jeff Kirkland in Australia had this working, but never mentioned this on Creative Cow, until I mentioned it. Some people don't like to share !"

[Jeff Kirkland] "I thought it was common knowledge, and I was fairly sure I got the info from the COW forums in the first place."

Jeff is taking words from my mouth here. In that "April thread" John shared sufficient amount of info to make one curious and start investigating. But Bob, you did a great thing by describing everything in details, no doubt! Lots of respect to you.

Return to posts index

Georg P. Mueller
on Nov 5, 2013 at 8:01:48 am

Hi Eugeny,
Glad I found this post. Bob mentioned your Avid workflow with the NFS manager. I know this is a FCX forum (and that's what I usually work with) but I was asked to troubleshoot an Avid shared storage system we setup in Northern Thailand for the production of a Hollywood feature. Right now we are using a mac mini running linux and indiestor - which gives us all kinds of problems when using a mirrored raid drives. The editor is freaking out and we need a fast and solid solution.

Google did not come up with anything usable. Would you mind sharing your Media Composer/NFS Manager experience with me? If this is not the right place to do so you could send me a mail at georg at livingfilms.com

Thanks a lot!

Georg

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Oct 24, 2013 at 5:31:04 pm

I have an NFS mount on a 10.9 Xserve as I type. Apple claims improved NFS performance in 10.9... we'll see.

I saw problems in 10.8.4 and 10.8.5. NFS is performing a bit better for me in 10.9 but other issues have cropped up notably client/server apps no longer connecting.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 24, 2013 at 9:52:49 pm

Hi John Heagy,
you you mind sharing EXACTLY WHAT TERMINAL COMMANDS you typed into your OS X 10.9 computer to enable NFS ? Because Bresink NFS Manager is not currently working.

I would greatly appreciate this information (as I am sure the community would as well).

thank you -
bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Oct 24, 2013 at 8:03:13 pm

Good to know. My client machines are all mavericks now, but I won’t touch the server.

Thanks Bob!

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Oct 25, 2013 at 2:59:58 pm

Why am I so attracted to threads that have more than two Bob Zelin posts in them? Because they are a DAMN FINE READ!

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Joakim Ziegler
on Nov 1, 2013 at 11:17:21 pm

I'm running Mavericks on this machine right now, and I have a bunch of NFS shares mounted. I just mount them in a script that's basically doing

sudo mount -t nfs -o intr,hard,rwsize=32768 resolve02:/data_2 /data_2

And so on for each share.

--
Joakim Ziegler - Postproduction Supervisor

Return to posts index

Kevin Marinelli
on Nov 12, 2013 at 5:31:45 pm

I had the same issue with NFS. Luckily we have a service contract with Apple, so I was able to get the necessary and undocumented information from them to get NFS to work.

In my case, the NFS mounts were specified in our OpenDirectory server, but the same parameters should work as part of the fsopts in the O/S auto_master file.

Note that Apple only documents "net" as being the only option available in the vfsOpts for NFS automounts. The necessary change was to use the vfsOpts "nosuid nodev multilabel".

With the vfsOptions changed, everything works like magic. Also note, that you should not mount NFS file systems in /Volumes.

Return to posts index

Steve Modica
on Dec 12, 2013 at 7:44:09 pm

I just had the good fortune to work with a very patient customer in Singapore on this issue.

Bob, make sure your server has rpc.lockd *or* make sure you set "locallocks" in the nfs.conf file. (see the man page for nfs.conf. There's an options parameter where you can set normal NFS options)

FCP wants to lock the .fcplock file it creates. If you don't have something enabled so it can, it gets errno 45 (operation not supported) and chokes. The error says the location is already locked by "null". Very unhelpful.

Steve

Steve Modica
CTO, Small Tree Communications

Return to posts index

David Mendes
on Dec 17, 2013 at 8:51:51 pm

Hi there,

I'm a new user in Creative Cow. Actually in my Company (in Portugal) we work with 3 Computers in FCP 7 (with Lion) and we are thinking to change to FCP X.

Currently we have one of this computers (MAC_01) connected to a RAID 5 (via Mini SAS) with all the projects and folders inside. The other editors - MAC_02 e MAC_03 (and also the MAC_01), can edit directly from the project files via Ethernet Gigabit.

I read many forums and tips to create a new workflow process, but i can't find a perfect solution until i read the Bob Zelin post "FCP X Add San Location to any shared storage system" (http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/335/59771).

After read this post i think that my problem was solve, but when i delete any Event from the project, FCPX says "The file couldn't saved because you don't have permission. To view or change permissions, select the item in the Finder and Choose File>Get Info. "

I already try to change the read&write permissions manually in finder to all users but didn't solve the problem. I'm using the app "NFS Manager" with this settings:

NFS Server - SHARE DEFINITIONS

Shared Folder
/Volume/RAID5/FCPX_Server

OPTIONS
Share "read only" - disabled
Allow Clients to also mount objects in the shared folder - Enabled

User Mapping: I already try Map "root", Map All Users and Don't Map Users

Minimum Security: System standard only

Access Permission: Allow access from any network and computer

I didn't change any other menu. Can anyone help me to understand what is missing?

I already read this solution is not working well in Mavericks. I'am thinking to install it too when change all the workflow, but i think isn't a good idea if this solution only works with Lion/Mountain Lion...

With you (in Lion or Mountain Lion) that solution works at 100% in no fails or limitations??

I hope you can help me because my eyes are already red for reading so many posts, blogs ans forums... I can't understand how Apple can make such a thing...

Best Regards,
David Mendes

Return to posts index

Steve Modica
on Dec 17, 2013 at 9:03:33 pm

I have a feeling the server isn't running rpc.lockd. Without that, FCP can't create it's .fcplock file. You need to edit /etc/nfs.conf and put in the option for locallocks. See the man page for nfs.conf. There's a parameter in there for setting standard nfs options. You need "locallocks"

Steve Modica

Return to posts index

Chris Murphy
on Jan 1, 2014 at 7:37:41 pm

If the server is NFSv4, rpcbind, lockd, and statd aren't running. I haven't tested it, but I figured by Mavericks NFSv4 would be the default, as it's been around for 11 years already. If not, the command would be a variant of 'sudo mount_nfs -o vers=4' and since it uses TCP, rwsize defaults to 32KB. It might still be worth increasing the readahead value from the default of 16, and async if the proper precautions are taken and the risk is understood.

Return to posts index

Steve Modica
on Jan 2, 2014 at 11:58:55 am

I tried nfsv4 and it hangs pretty quickly (probably trying to do locking). I haven't investigated yet.

Steve Modica

Return to posts index

Chris Murphy
on Jan 3, 2014 at 4:59:20 am

OK so I've played with this on 10.8.5 and I'm getting some fairly craptastic behavior.

Without sudo I can cp read or write a file from/to an NFS share without difficult, and with OK performance. However I can only read/copyfrom the Finder. I can't write files from the Finder or from other apps.

When I try to Finder copy a file to an NFS share, I get a beachball. If I try to cancel, the copy dialog says "Stopping..." for 10+ minutes and doesn't recover. Console reports:

kernel: nfs4_setclientid: client ID in use?
kernel: nfs4_setclientid failed, 10017
kernel: nfs mirror mount of 192.168.1.137:/chris on /Network/f20/chris failed (10017)

And it repeats. I think this is a UID/GUID mapping problem, although I don't know why the Finder is being such a misbehaving ill tempered dick about it when cp has no problem. Irritating.

Return to posts index

Mark Halegua
on Apr 18, 2014 at 2:14:09 am

I'm a novice with macs. Been running a system with CentOS as a server for years, usually Linux (Ubuntu) as workstations. Users sometimes use Windows XP (in a VM - virtualbox connecting via SAMBA).

We just attached a MacMini with Mavericks and have had some problems due I think mostly to permissions issues. The user finds she is locked out of documents she had created previously in Linux, and others are locked out of new docs created now under the mac.

We have the same uer name, now with the same UID. The GID on the mac is wrong, but I want to make sure I don't bork her system before changing things.

I can, from the terminal, login in as a root or admin user. Can anyone tell me what I can do for her without creating a mess?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Steve Modica
on Apr 18, 2014 at 12:01:24 pm

There are lots of possibilities on a problem like this:

AFP can be set to "ignore ownership" in which case all the files will be owned by uid 99 (unknown to the server) and set to the UID of the person connected over AFP. (Samba users will see "99")

Apple supports ACLs as does Linux. Check what ACLs are assigned to the files. (ls -le?)

The immutable bit may be set. Cameras often set this on media and it gets brought over when files are dragged in rather than imported with the camera's software.

Steve Modica

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]