FORUMS: list search recent posts

OSX Mavericks IP over thunderbolt

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
daniel lai
OSX Mavericks IP over thunderbolt
on Oct 24, 2013 at 2:51:29 am

Gooday Guys,

Just notice some new feature added into OSX Mavericks. It's IP over Thunderbolt. Here is the link that state about the features :

http://www.apple.com/thunderbolt/

You can read about it until you scroll till the No Project is Too Massive.
I am beginning to wonder what and how it can help in a small workgroup video editing situation.

Just my 2 cents sharing.

Daniel Lai
Ideacast technology

Return to posts index

Glenn Grant
Re: OSX Mavericks IP over thunderbolt
on Oct 24, 2013 at 4:36:04 am

Nice find Daniel.

Considering the SAN solution that John Davidson and Bob Zelin just shared, this could really be something.

If you can set up a 10GB LAN using only TB and be able to share projects, That would be perfect for a small shop like mine with three seats and an mac mini server.

Hey, I just figured out how to get ride of my Legacy Name!

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Oct 24, 2013 at 7:53:36 am

Could be an interesting use for those 6 TB ports on the back of the new mac pro, no?

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 24, 2013 at 1:15:32 pm

The price of the cables would be astronomical! :)

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Oct 24, 2013 at 1:29:08 pm

I posted about IP Over Thunderbolt in Mavericks yesterday on the Apple Forum for OS X Mavericks looking for details about this new feature. The press release just said it was self-configuring. I couldn’t find anything in System Preferences/Network to support adding an IP Over Thunderbolt connection on my 2009 iMac, but perhaps it only shows up when you actually connect two or more Macs via Thunderbolt and ‘it just works.” No one has responded on the Apple Forum yet to provide any further details.

Edit: I just received an answer on the Apple Forum. It is in System Preferences/Network. On a Mac with Thunderbolt, it shows up when you click the + button to add a network connection.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Oct 24, 2013 at 6:00:46 pm

[Rick Lang] " is in System Preferences/Network. On a Mac with Thunderbolt, it shows up when you click the + button to add a network connection."

yup, the same place is is for selecting IP over both FW and Bluetooth.

It has been there all along gentlemen and ladies, it is part of the TBT specs

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

Follow my blog at http://www.garyadcock.com

Or follow me on Twitter
@garyadcock

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Oct 24, 2013 at 6:41:09 pm

[gary adcock] "It has been there all along gentlemen and ladies, it is part of the TBT specs"

Thanks, Gary. I guess what might be new is that it is now “self-configuring” in OS X Mavericks when you connect two TB Macs.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

daniel lai
on Oct 25, 2013 at 4:21:01 am

Hi all,

Did a simple test yesterday and it works. I have connected an iMac 27 with MacBook Pro retina 15 inch via thunderbolt ( bridge ) I can use my iMac to mount the drive from MacBook Pro Retina ( shared folder ). The speed test is approximately 330MB/s read & write with blackmagic speed test.

Lastly, I did a simple test with FCPX with the share-folder ( mount with afp protocol ). It works so far.
Anyway it's just a curious and simple test for the IP over thunderbolt.

cheers

Daniel Lai
Ideacast Technology

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 26, 2013 at 12:47:31 pm

Hi Daniel,
when you mounted the MacBook Pro on your iMac, and launched FCP-X, are you saying that you clicked on Add SAN Location in FCP-X, and it mounted the Mac Book Pro drive ?

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

daniel lai
on Oct 26, 2013 at 2:52:18 pm

Hi Bob,

I did not add SAN Location in FCPX. I am using FCPX import media and it see those thunderbolt mounted drive and import ( soft link ) those media in FCPX.

For your information, I have tried Add SAN Location Folder and it stated that it was not a SAN volumes.

Daniel
Ideacast Technology

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]