FORUMS: list search recent posts

So where are the 4K monitors to go with the multiple 4K outputs on a MacPro?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phil Hoppes
So where are the 4K monitors to go with the multiple 4K outputs on a MacPro?
on Oct 23, 2013 at 1:08:41 pm

I'll step up to the plate and serve myself a well cooked crow. I was one who figured the MacPro was completely dead. I know it was announced much earlier this year and I have to admit I was quite impressed with their quick video on how it is manufactured and assembled. That alone was impressive. I still may not get one just yet ... but I'm curious. They went to great lengths to say you can have up to 3 4K screens attached to it yet there is no visible 4K monitor offering from Apple and not even a hint of rumors at this time.

I will grant you, it's not really an issue for me as everything I do is still mostly 720p with an occasional 1080p but it struck me as odd.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: So where are the 4K monitors to go with the multiple 4K outputs on a MacPro?
on Oct 23, 2013 at 1:15:19 pm

The 4K monitors are for UI, not video output. Demos so far seem to be using a Sharp 4K monitor. Just think of it as the replacement for a 30" or 27" Apple Cinema Display.

Example here:

http://9to5mac.com/2013/10/22/interview-with-photographer-lucas-gilman-one-...

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: So where are the 4K monitors to go with the multiple 4K outputs on a MacPro?
on Oct 23, 2013 at 1:59:58 pm

I can't believe someone that needs that good a monitor and mac isn't using a real keyboard.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 23, 2013 at 2:04:40 pm

The unit does not come with a mouse or keyboard. Look at the "in the box" specs on the Apple website. He's using an Apple Bluetooth keyboard from the looks of the picture.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 23, 2013 at 2:16:37 pm

Yes that's exactly my point. I can't believe he wouldn't use a real keyboard.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 23, 2013 at 5:16:33 pm

[Bret Williams] "Yes that's exactly my point. I can't believe he wouldn't use a real keyboard."

Because, Siri.

:P

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Oct 23, 2013 at 2:04:14 pm

Undoubtedly there will be some users who will us a 4K interface monitor for full screen video also. The price tag for professional 4K video monitors is astronomical ($17K) and will continue to be for the foreseeable future.

Rest assured Apple will be coming out with a 4K monitor. How affordable it will be remains to be seen. Given prices of other 4K monitors, I'm guessing around $3000.

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Oct 23, 2013 at 2:22:50 pm

[Brett Sherman] "Given prices of other 4K monitors, I'm guessing around $3000"

Yes, that's correct, the Sharp monitor the guy is using is a Sharp PN-K321 which retails at just a whisper below $4K !

Inextricably we are being gently led into the next period of elite big spending and should Apple launch a domestic TV next year I would imagine that have 4K capability.

Even with nothing to play the files back onto I'm tempted by the new Sony PXW-Z100 Camcorder although having just listened to an interview with Philip Hodgetts
on Rick Youngs Blog that might be a premature investment.

http://www.moviemachine.tv/video/comments-on-4k-philip-hodgetts/77230136/

But that aside I do think that the Mac Pro looks very odd, a bit like a modernist flower vase.

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Oct 23, 2013 at 8:28:19 pm

[Mark Dobson] ”Even with nothing to play the files back onto I’m tempted by the new Sony PXW-Z100 Camcorder…"

Have you considered the Blackmagic Design Production Camera, Mark? Not yet shipping but will be by the time we save for these unnecessary and inevitable expenses.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Oct 25, 2013 at 9:32:26 am

[Rick Lang] "Have you considered the Blackmagic Design Production Camera"

Hi Rick,

I'd sort of forgotten about Blackmagic. I always pick up on their product launch news and then hear about huge delays before anything is available. I've got a lot of respect for the R&D they do and their understanding of the filmmaking community.

I've no doubt that this camera produces sensational images and I could use all the lenses I have built up to use with our C300, but to me the Blackmagic Design Production Camera looks like a lot work to use as a second camera with limited battery life and awkward ergonomics. I would see it as the kind of camera that would need it's own little ecosystem, rig, viewfinder, etc.

The potential advantage of the Sony PXW-Z100 is it's usability as a self contained unit. But I would wait to pick up feedback once it's released and actually get to have a hands on demo, or maybe hire one out for a day before making any decisions.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Oct 23, 2013 at 2:28:50 pm

Hey Oliver. Unless I heard it wrong, I believe the clarification on the 3 x 4K displays is 2 of them can be hooked up via Thunderbolt, and the 3rd one is via the HDMI 1.4.

Phil Schiller mentioned specifically on stage that the HDMI port could be used for broadcast monitoring.

I think this will eliminate a lot of people's need for an external I/O box for video out. Unless you want to monitor Resolve- then you'll still need to use theirs!

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 23, 2013 at 3:23:44 pm

[Marcus Moore] "I believe the clarification on the 3 x 4K displays is 2 of them can be hooked up via Thunderbolt, and the 3rd one is via the HDMI 1.4."

That's correct. We don't know yet whether the HDMI is actual video output monitoring or just another UI output. I suspect as you do, that it will eliminate third party hardware, but that's not a given.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Oct 23, 2013 at 3:32:35 pm

I just double check the video. Not proof positive, but for the record what he says is.

Phil Schiller, "You can have up to 2 displays plus a 3rd HDMI display for broadcast monitoring".

I just hope as Alex4D suggests that Apple will be able to firmware update to HDMI 2.0 for the extra bandwidth and colour space.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 23, 2013 at 3:41:44 pm

[Marcus Moore] "I just hope as Alex4D suggests that Apple will be able to firmware update to HDMI 2.0 for the extra bandwidth and colour space."

HDMI 1.4 supports deep color. HDMI 2.0 would be necessary for 4K @ 60 Hz, though.

Any word if Mavericks supports deep color yet? I know that some folks here were hoping it would, but I haven't seen anything on it.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Nikola Stefanovic
on Oct 23, 2013 at 3:48:46 pm

Maybe they will put HDMI as video input on new 4K Cinema Display, next to Thunderbolt as Ui input. With proper calibration loop and HDMI 2 support, they can offer fully rounded video editing environment - hardware, software and monitoring :)

Nikola Stefanovic
http://www.vimeo.com/nikolastefanovic/reel

Return to posts index

Eric Mueller
on Oct 23, 2013 at 4:17:25 pm

Some fairly positive reviews for this as a desktop monitor:

http://www.amazon.com/Seiki-Digital-SE39UY04-39-Inch-Ultra/dp/B00DOPGO2G/re...

Anyone done anything like this on the PC side? I'd love a giant single display instead of my current dual 24" (assuming it wouldn't ruin my eyesight and emissions were clean).

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 23, 2013 at 5:25:22 pm

I predict a Retina 30" display from Apple with has "4k" resolution sometime in December.

It will launch with the MacPro, and the new ProApps wad of apps.

It will have a small breakout box built in with audio, USB3, ethernet, and a TBolt2 passthrough.

$3127.50

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Oct 23, 2013 at 8:20:35 pm

No way am I paying that extra 50 cents.

Tim

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 23, 2013 at 8:30:15 pm

It's for the children.

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Oct 23, 2013 at 10:10:08 pm

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Oct 23, 2013 at 6:20:04 pm

[Eric Mueller] "Some fairly positive reviews for this as a desktop monitor:

http://www.amazon.com/Seiki-Digital-SE39UY04-39-Inch-Ultra/dp/B00DOPGO2G/re.....

Anyone done anything like this on the PC side? I'd love a giant single display instead of my current dual 24" (assuming it wouldn't ruin my eyesight and emissions were clean)."

Yeah, this does look pretty great playing back Red footage from an Ultrastudio 4K. There is a hack that enables the retina settings in the displays preferences. It would be interesting to see what it would look like. The price is right.

Return to posts index

Richard Dee
on Oct 23, 2013 at 7:57:53 pm

I have been thinking about getting the 39" Seiki to use to replace my aging or poorly performing 30" ACD, but obviously just as an interface monitor. I have read Amazon reviews that like it, but say it's not as good as an IPS monitor.

Also has anyone seen the Samsung OLED 55" display? It's 9 grand but I want one! Best display I have ever seen, even better than true 4K displays. I'm hoping in 2 years they're around $3500 - I'd buy at that price.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]