FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mavericks

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bret Williams
Mavericks
on Oct 22, 2013 at 9:02:14 pm

Mavericks is what iOS7 should've been.

No more linen and skeumorphicism but everything still functions the same.

EXCEPT, when an app is in full screen, you can't get the dock! Anyone figure out how to get the dock in fullscreen mode? Used to be you had to go down twice with the mouse to get it to pop up in Lion/ML, but no go in Mavericks.

It was also a hassle to get X on both screens. Had to put the events back on the main screen, make sure that wasn't full screen, then put the events on the second screen, THEN go full screen with X.

Will test a few more apps, like AE and Premiere.

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
Re: Mavericks
on Oct 22, 2013 at 9:06:37 pm

I'm able to do it but it's tricky. It's two swipes of the trackpad. (I'm on a 'magic' trackpad not a mouse)

If I'm not swiping perfectly down on the second one, no dock.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 22, 2013 at 9:09:00 pm

I'm on the magic trackpad at the moment too cuz the mouse batteries died.

I can't get the dock to come up. And I'm a great swiper!

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 22, 2013 at 9:11:16 pm

I just figured it out! Don't swipe twice anymore. You just swipe down and hold. So actually, that's probably better. But for those that have been doing it the old way it's gonna drive them a little crazy til they figure it out. I suppose on a mouse it would be more natural to swipe down and hold. But on the trackpad you just swipe and let go, which won't work. Gotta swipe down and leave your finger there a sec.

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Oct 22, 2013 at 9:13:53 pm

Yes! That works! Well done.

The sad part for me is I'm in the habit of using the bottom half of my trackpad so I swipe off the edge. Need to retrain the Bruce Lee muscle memory.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 22, 2013 at 9:14:35 pm

Argh. And the reason I was doing that, was because when you have events on the second screen, just switching to X using app+tab didn't bring up the events. I always had to click on the dock icon. Guess what? The new dual screen mode doesn't automatically bring up the events part of X when you switch to X via app+tab OR via dock click. It's like two separate computers. So, good in some ways, bad in others.

I can't believe this full screen mode thing is that difficult that it two years to implement and still it's wonky as hell.

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Oct 22, 2013 at 9:22:07 pm

I've been on the dev preview for over a month, one thing that still happens with the dock is it will appear on the other display if you happen to click that one first on startup. I can't seem to figure out how to make it go back to where it belongs without putting the computer to sleep. Really annoying, it's probably a glitch.

FCPX does seem to have some issues with dual displays that make me think the new version is made for Mavericks and this current one ain't.

The plus side is, the AMD 7950 now screams compared to mountain lion. It cut the render times in half on certain effects.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 22, 2013 at 9:50:56 pm

I have the dock hidden. It pops up on either display when I want it consistently. You're not still using the first golden master are you? This version is just days old.

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Oct 22, 2013 at 9:12:05 pm

Which app? I'm using chrome now in fullscreen and I can do it but it's really hit or miss. You are right that this isn't working.

I just noticed that if I keep the pointer down there and then tap the trackpad the dock shows. I really can't consistently replicate what works yet. Maybe I'll tell siri to show the dock and have her misunderstand me in an all new way.

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Oct 22, 2013 at 9:24:40 pm

Premiere Pro supports Mavericks and AE will has a 12.0.1 release to support it.

Premiere Pro

After Effects

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 22, 2013 at 9:49:30 pm

There's definitely a learning curve to the dual monitor thing. For example if I have Premiere running on both monitors- bins on the second monitor, then switch to a full screen app on the second monitor, then app+tab back to Premiere, the second monitor part doesn't come back. Then I go to click on the Premiere icon, and it still stays hidden. At this point, you have to know how to swipe to get it back. But I also found a second click on the icon will bring it back.

Why did we want full screen apps again? Remember when apple had a one button mouse and Jobs thought a second button would just confuse users? Now we're supposed to memorize sign language just to see the app we want!

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Oct 22, 2013 at 10:22:11 pm

What would be the proper way to upgrade from Mountain Lion to Mavericks? How does the current version of Final Cut Pro do well with it?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 22, 2013 at 11:09:48 pm

App store I guess. That's what I did. It's not like you can go buy a disk and do a clean install. There are apps out there I've used in the past to create an install disk or install thumb drive. But when I went to sell the mac I had done that with, it was quite the hassle! I wanted to sell it with the most modern system, but you can't do a restore to anything but the system that came on it and not have it still linked to your .mac, er... me.com, er... iCloud accout. And you have to do an internet restore to get the original shipped OS back on it.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Oct 27, 2013 at 3:15:53 am

You can do a clean install to an external formatted drive then download all your apps move your docs over, test everything and when ready clone to your system drive.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Oct 23, 2013 at 3:10:12 am

How about the CS6 suite? Also Mavericks ready?

Anyone running FCP7 load up Mavericks? Report?

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Oct 23, 2013 at 3:27:13 am

[Rich Rubasch] "Anyone running FCP7 load up Mavericks? Report?"

Working fine for me. I haven't installed any plugins yet which is the real sticking point for 7 projects.

Even though it's still in beta, Resolve 10 is looking like a wolf in sheep's clothing as far as converting legacy projects goes. You can use it to go from fcp7 to x, or x to avid, or really anything to anything.

So far I'm getting mixed results as far as sound tracks carrying over, but it is still beta.

Return to posts index

Christian Walter
on Oct 30, 2013 at 7:41:02 pm

got a brand new macbook pro with mavericks preinstalled,
got final cut 7 installed from dik images,
wanted to update to fcp 7.03but the installer would not run
got the message: it is not from a certified developer !
final cut opened fine and i got a project to open, however the colors were totally off
way saturated and dark!!!
opened a rendered .mp4 file of the movie and everything looked fine!
any suggestions???

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Oct 23, 2013 at 2:29:17 pm

[Rich Rubasch] "How about the CS6 suite? Also Mavericks ready?"

Here you go: Mavericks compatability FAQ

If necessary, we will update this link further based on findings and feedback. Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]