FORUMS: list search recent posts

Apple Employee's Remark

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nelson Torres
Apple Employee's Remark
on Jun 25, 2011 at 7:54:11 pm

If you think that Apple doesn't care about our opinions listen to what a friend of mine who works at Apple wrote me...

oh - it was not a fun week at work.

Sorry I can't include more but I think that pretty much sums it up and Steve Jobs is not known as one to take these kinds of things lightly.

Return to posts index

Paul Dickin
Re: Apple Employee's Remark
on Jun 25, 2011 at 8:07:59 pm

Hi
LOL! (at last...) :-)
Tell me, someone's found Bruce and Steve categorically ordered that all Wonder Yaks were to be dead "no more! ... ceased to be! Expired and gone to meet 'is maker!"

Return to posts index

Stefan Buhrmester
on Jun 25, 2011 at 8:14:54 pm

After you have spoken to said mysterious employee, what are your thoughts about the future direction of the product?

Return to posts index

Godfrey Pye
on Jun 25, 2011 at 8:27:26 pm

I would be pleased if Steve and co are extremely unhappy with the arrogance the company has displayed through this whole P.R debacle. Because arrogance is what they've shown to us.

I recall years ago, perceived arrogance from Avid was what helped turned many editors to FCP - it's deliciously ironic isn't it?

I hope that Apple will now quickly describe a clear path to how-and-when FCPX will get the improvements we all crave. As for me, I'm sticking with them - but God knows, they owe us big time.
And I don't mean in money, I mean in them showing us some respect.

Godfrey Pye
Mulholland Bays - in the Hollywood Hills

Return to posts index

Andrew Stone
on Jun 25, 2011 at 8:40:49 pm

Clear path for FCPX for the industry?! Kidding right? The industry will not wait for Apple to fix FCPX. That is not the way business works.

Apple has demonstrated to the industry (I mean big production houses that cannot be as nimble as freelancers) that as a supplier Apple is high risk. Even if Apple were to reinstate FCP 7 and continue it's software development path, the relationship, trust and low level of risk mitigation is GONE.

You will notice most people who now use FCP are now making either serious contingency plans or have begun their migration to PP or AVID MC.

Steadicam - Camera Operator

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 26, 2011 at 12:58:53 am

I seem to remember the same thing about Avid around 2000 when they announced they were dropping the Mac version . . . and they then backpedaled. Of course that was key to the ascendancy of Final Cut Pro as Apple would not longer put their trust in third party products as a primary mover of Macs in any market segment.

Return to posts index

Andrew Stone
on Jun 26, 2011 at 1:37:59 am

I'm trying to remember the sequence of events around AVID dropping Mac support. I think that was after FCP had been out for a bit. Regardless, I really do not intend to be drawing comparisons to AVID in what I am talking about.

I am talking about companies that have a corporate mindset. Suppliers, vendors that come on board go through a careful internal vetting process in these large companies. A supplier or vendor gets goofy, they are gone in the blink of an eye and a good portion of the video industry, the film industry is in fact very corporate in the way they operate. They have to as the supply chain is huge and the product is in many ways ephemeral and fraught with huge amounts of risk in the production process. Unlike say traditional manufacturing. We all know this. So when a company that supplies an essential tool to the supply chain says, out and out and without warning, "we are no longer selling you the product, even if you want it, things go sideways fast especially when millions of dollars are at stake, completion guarantees and other insurance matters.

Most (not all) here in forum land aren't exposed to this world at all but you can bet high placed people are tearing new ones in people very high up in Apple and given the CEO's placement as the head of Pixar, I am sure he has received more than a few phone calls and even visits in the past 48 hours.

Think about other software companies that develop software for big business. Microsoft as an example. They go out of their way to make sure their software development structure doesn't leave big business stranded by EOLing software without years of notice. Final Cut Pro had become part of the big business of television and the film industry and Apple killed it in a press release without advance warning. Corporate thinking machines don't let vendors "get it right" after they gored the client.

This to me is the real story and the area for concern.

Steadicam - Camera Operator

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 26, 2011 at 2:19:23 am

I was a senior video engineer at a production company that produced network programs at the time Avid made than announcement. They were as abrupt as Apple IMHO. It did create havoc for purchasing decisions they were about to make.

Apple's biggest mistake is not keeping FCS3 available (ideally at a reduced price) while FCPX matured. The only rational reason for pulling it so quickly is that it's supportable under Lion. Even then new Lion Macs in theory could have been wiped and and Snow Leopard installed to keep systems going for the mean time.

Return to posts index

Andrew Stone
on Jun 26, 2011 at 3:14:18 am

Craig we are essentially coming to the same conclusion but with different points. Pulling FCP/Studio is the tragic mistake of Apple out of this whole episode. The repercussion of this move will take years to undo, if they choose to continue with serving the pro market say 5 to 10 years from now. Just like as you have mentioned with AVID. How long did it take for them to recover and they had to change their business model in order to gain market share again?

Steadicam & Camera Operator

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 26, 2011 at 4:25:26 am

[Andrew Stone] "Think about other software companies that develop software for big business. Microsoft as an example. They go out of their way to make sure their software development structure doesn't leave big business stranded by EOLing software without years of notice. Final Cut Pro had become part of the big business of television and the film industry and Apple killed it in a press release without advance warning..

This to me is the real story and the area for concern."

Exactly Andrew, ten years of building goodwill with a base of 2-million customers blown in a single day.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new tutorial: Prepare for a seamless transition to FCP X and OS X Lion
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/FCP-10-MAC-Lion/1

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 26, 2011 at 5:03:14 am

Sadly I agree. In many respects they repeated Avid's mistake. They pulled an NLE that businesses rely on. While I think FCPX has potential, it won't be ready as a replacement for some time.

Businesses are gun-shy especially when they see their software/hardware infrastructure thrown into high risk. It damaged Avid for a long time even though Avid back peddled. Even if Apple put FCS back up and committed to support it for another year while FCPX is readied for professional use, the damage may already be done.

It's ironic that Apple's own secrecy hindered both developers and VARs, ensuring that even the third party support to add needed features wasn't there at the time of release. It's hard to fathom how bad an otherwise successful company's decisions have been in this market.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 26, 2011 at 5:36:36 am

[Craig Seeman] "It's ironic that Apple's own secrecy hindered both developers and VARs, ensuring that even the third party support to add needed features wasn't there at the time of release."

If I remember correctly Craig I think I told you before the release that drivers, plugins, etc. would be a problem initially. Didn't we discuss that?

In any case, neither of us had any idea it would be this bad...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new tutorial: Prepare for a seamless transition to FCP X and OS X Lion
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/FCP-10-MAC-Lion/1

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 26, 2011 at 6:06:30 am

[David Roth Weiss] "If I remember correctly Craig I think I told you before the release that drivers, plugins, etc. would be a problem initially. Didn't we discuss that?"

Yes and generally I'd expect that. When I found though that Noise Industries had access though while Core Melt did not, I realize that Apple was deliberately excluding some developers.

It's one thing for a company to get it's product out the door before third party developers are ready but it's another to deliberately withhold information from developers so they can not start development until after the product is released.

I has assumed that Apple would be assisting developers so they'd be underway even if they weren't ready at the point of FCPX's release.

In essence, Apple was guaranteeing they'd be releasing a product without support. If that's the case, it's a self defeating business position. I can see no strategic reason for it.

Return to posts index

Godfrey Pye
on Jun 25, 2011 at 8:37:33 pm

I would be pleased if Steve and co are extremely unhappy at realizing the arrogance the company has displayed through this whole P.R debacle. Because arrogance is what they've shown to us.

I recall years ago, perceived arrogance from Avid was what helped turned many editors to FCP - it's deliciously ironic isn't it?

I hope that Apple will now quickly describe a clear path to how-and-when FCPX will get the improvements we all crave. As for me, I'm sticking with them - but God knows, they owe us big time.
And I don't mean money, I mean in them showing us some respect.

Godfrey Pye

Return to posts index

J Hussar
on Jun 25, 2011 at 8:56:47 pm

Something to remember is Steve Jobs reaction to the mobileme fiasco - believe me they hate bad PR! That is why those of us bitching about FCPX will save the rest of you apologists who make excuses for mediocrity!

Here is the story about mobileme:

One interesting story is about Steve Jobs' reaction to the poor MobileMe rollout in 2008 which was marred with slow services and downtime.

In Fortune's story, Lashinsky says Steve Jobs summoned the entire MobileMe team for a meeting at the company's on-campus Town Hall, accusing everyone of "tarnishing Apple's reputation." He told the members of the team they "should hate each other for having let each other down", and went on to name new executives on the spot to run the MobileMe team. A few excerpts from the article.

"Can anyone tell me what MobileMe is supposed to do?" Having received a satisfactory answer, he continues, "So why the f*** doesn't it do that?"

Return to posts index

Matt Penn
on Jun 25, 2011 at 9:20:31 pm

I knew this would be a popcorn event.

Matthew Penn
Post Production Supervisor
Citi

Return to posts index

Godfrey Pye
on Jun 25, 2011 at 9:36:39 pm

"That is why those of us bitching about FCPX will save the rest of you apologists who make excuses for mediocrity!"

Well what a lovely friendly tone you have Herr Hussar. You seem to feel quite comfortable being so combative.
However I just dipped back into this forum to see how the haters are getting on. Now I think I'll go back to the other FCPX forum again, it's so much more positive over there. Bye!

Godfrey Pye

Return to posts index

J Hussar
on Jun 25, 2011 at 11:46:19 pm

Thanks for attacking me personally Godfrey - this issue involves many people's livelihood, and so, yes it can get a bit heated. But I am aiming my ire at Apple. Also I'm not making racial inference slurs like you just did. An apology from you would be reasonable at this point.

Return to posts index

Josh Gross
on Jun 25, 2011 at 10:26:52 pm

Well I just got back from a nice chat with a Mac store employee and they are just as in the dark, if not more than all of us. Sounds like in-store training will be starting up next week along with a bunch of other resources (no knowledge of any kind of Apple Certification). He said a few people were actually sent to Cupertino to train for the in-store stuff. Also mentioned the new 16-core MacPro in August but that was sheer conjecture. Very nice and helpful, like they always are, just don't expect much info that you can't already find on the web if you go yourself (there weren't even FCPX setups to play with yet)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]