FORUMS: list search recent posts

No FCP X announcement?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rich Rubasch
No FCP X announcement?
on Oct 22, 2013 at 6:27:46 pm

Did I miss it?

I do like the new Mac Pro. Also having Mavericks able to run on older Macs (we have 'em) is a great addition. I have a workhorse of an old MacBookPro that I can't upgrade to Mountain Lion.

Love the free apps with a purchase...always hated having to buy Pages and Keynote.

Microsoft Office is going to have to step up in a big way....Office is so bloated and expensive. Blah.

Great presentation. More "Assembled in the US" and greener is always better.

Glad to be a fan of Apple today!

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
Re: No FCP X announcement?
on Oct 22, 2013 at 6:31:24 pm

[Rich Rubasch] "Microsoft Office is going to have to step up in a big way....Office is so bloated and expensive. Blah."

It doesn't matter, Office is the defacto standard and it runs on both OSX and Windows, while Iwork is Mac only. Office ain't going anywhere.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Oct 22, 2013 at 6:51:11 pm

via the iWork for iCoud apps, you can work on iWork on PC, just like Google Docs.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Oct 22, 2013 at 6:33:18 pm

Would like to know about 10.1 as well.

Return to posts index

Al LeVine
on Oct 22, 2013 at 6:34:25 pm

From the new MacPro page:

Final Cut Pro X. Now optimized for Mac Pro.
The new version of Final Cut Pro X (coming in December) has been engineered to take advantage of the 4K capabilities of the Mac Pro. The dual workstation-class GPUs in Mac Pro accelerate effects, optical flow analysis, video export — and virtually everything else you do in Final Cut Pro. Ultrafast PCIe-based flash storage means fast project loading and multi-stream 4K playback. And Final Cut Pro X has been so perfectly tuned to take advantage of the new Mac Pro, you can work in 4K — in real time — without rendering. (Take a minute to let that slowly sink in.)

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Oct 22, 2013 at 6:36:42 pm

Here's a clue on how it will look.

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Nate Weaver
on Oct 22, 2013 at 6:40:42 pm

Where did this grab come from? I assume the keynote?

At the beginning of the Apps section, I could have swore I saw a FCPX screen for about 3 seconds inset on a device shot, and it looked something like this. I remember the bin/events panel had a ton of green in it which looked odd.

[edit: I see now, It's a new iMovie grab based on file name]

Nate Weaver
Director/D.P., Los Angeles
http://www.nateweaver.net

Return to posts index

Michael Sanders
on Oct 22, 2013 at 6:43:10 pm

On the Apple FCP X page it says:

"The New Mac Pro is coming in Decemeber, And so is a new version of Final Cut Pro X"

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Oct 22, 2013 at 6:43:17 pm

It's on the Apple website

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 22, 2013 at 6:47:53 pm

Performance charts:

4.4x 4K Color Correction Instances
4.0x 4K Picture-in-Picture Streams Simultaneous Streams
2.9x 4K Render Rendering Speed
2.7x 4K Multicam Angles Simultaneous Streams
2.6x 4K Optical Flow Retiming Processing Speed
1.0x Baseline

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Oct 22, 2013 at 7:44:54 pm

Where is this stuff coming from?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 22, 2013 at 9:36:03 pm

[Marcus Moore] "Where is this stuff coming from?"

http://www.apple.com/mac-pro/performance/

Scroll down to "Video Editing"

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Oct 22, 2013 at 10:15:21 pm

Important footnote for "baseline" performance for those figures

Testing conducted by Apple in October 2013 using preproduction Mac Pro 12-core 2.7GHz units with 1TB flash storage and AMD FirePro D700 graphics, and shipping Mac Pro 12-core 3.06GHz units with 512GB SSD and ATI Radeon HD 5870 graphics. All systems configured with 64GB of RAM. Tested with prerelease OS X 10.9 and prerelease Final Cut Pro X. Color correction, render, and optical flow retiming tests conducted using a 3840x2160p29.97 ProRes 4444 project. Streaming tests conducted using a 10-minute project with 16 unique 3840x2160p23.98 ProRes 422 clips. Performance tests are conducted using specific computer systems and reflect the approximate performance of Mac Pro.

"prerelease Final Cut Pro X" - Grrrrrrr......

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 22, 2013 at 9:40:14 pm

Wow, that's pretty stunning. Here's the footnote:

"Testing conducted by Apple in October 2013 using preproduction Mac Pro 12-core 2.7GHz units with 1TB flash storage and AMD FirePro D700 graphics, and shipping Mac Pro 12-core 3.06GHz units with 512GB SSD and ATI Radeon HD 5870 graphics. All systems configured with 64GB of RAM. Tested with prerelease OS X 10.9 and prerelease Final Cut Pro X. Color correction, render, and optical flow retiming tests conducted using a 3840x2160p29.97 ProRes 4444 project. Streaming tests conducted using a 10-minute project with 16 unique 3840x2160p23.98 ProRes 422 clips. Performance tests are conducted using specific computer systems and reflect the approximate performance of Mac Pro."

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Oct 23, 2013 at 12:28:05 am

[Walter Soyka] "Testing conducted by Apple in October 2013 using preproduction Mac Pro 12-core 2.7GHz units with 1TB flash storage and AMD FirePro D700 graphics, and shipping Mac Pro 12-core 3.06GHz units with 512GB SSD and ATI Radeon HD 5870 graphics. All systems configured with 64GB of RAM. Tested with prerelease OS X 10.9 and prerelease Final Cut Pro X. Color correction, render, and optical flow retiming tests conducted using a 3840x2160p29.97 ProRes 4444 project. Streaming tests conducted using a 10-minute project with 16 unique 3840x2160p23.98 ProRes 422 clips. Performance tests are conducted using specific computer systems and reflect the approximate performance of Mac Pro."
"

So a wee bit more expensive than 2999. Maybe 12999? Or would that still be a bit cheep? Maybe 15 and change?

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Oct 22, 2013 at 6:48:08 pm

Looks like that screenshot is the new iMovie

Return to posts index

Justin Crowell
on Oct 22, 2013 at 6:53:27 pm

"Ultrafast PCIe-based flash storage means fast project loading and multi-stream 4K playback."

Why on Earth would anyone want to edit off their system drive? Am I missing something? Looks like it maxes out at 1TB...how much 4k footage in any serious format can I get on a 1TB drive?

Editor, Producer, DP
JustinCrowell.com

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Oct 22, 2013 at 7:01:36 pm

[Justin Crowell] "how much 4k footage in any serious format can I get on a 1TB drive?"

Define serious format? You could get four or five hours of XAVC on that if you were determined to use your system drive

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Justin Crowell
on Oct 22, 2013 at 7:06:07 pm

That might not have been the best choice of terminology...but if I'm working in 4k, I'm guessing it'll be Prores or R3D or something of the like. Either way...I've always gone by the motto of leaving the system drive alone. Having read, write, and export drives in addition.

Editor, Producer, DP
JustinCrowell.com

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Oct 22, 2013 at 7:08:26 pm

[Justin Crowell] "Either way...I've always gone by the motto of leaving the system drive alone. Having read, write, and export drives in addition."

Which is exactly how it should be done!

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Oct 23, 2013 at 12:31:25 am

[Steve Connor] "[Justin Crowell] "Either way...I've always gone by the motto of leaving the system drive alone. Having read, write, and export drives in addition."

Which is exactly how it should be done!
"

Exactly. Thy just couldn't get the specs without the flash memory. And, they are talking about a very expensive machine there. Its not for editing promos, so yes, 3/4s of a TB will do you little good.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 23, 2013 at 3:37:26 pm

[Justin Crowell] "Either way...I've always gone by the motto of leaving the system drive alone. Having read, write, and export drives in addition."

I am willing to reconsider.

In the olden days, it used to be that shouldn't use your system drive for media because the OS or your app was also likely to attempt to use the system drive (leading to high read/write latency, fragmentation, or bus saturation), or just because you'd be constrained by the simple speed limitations of the single-spindle storage itself. That would cause dropped frames, and dropped frames totally messed with your deadlines when you were laying things off to tape.

With fast random-access non-volatile memory on the fastest bus on the system, these concerns no longer apply.

There may still be good logical or administrative reasons to keep media separate, but moving the media off the internal storage onto external storage will actually be a step backwards in terms of raw performance.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Oct 23, 2013 at 3:45:10 pm

[Walter Soyka] "There may still be good logical or administrative reasons to keep media separate, but moving the media off the internal storage onto external storage will actually be a step backwards in terms of raw performance."

Would this be true if you were comparing the single internal drive to an external raid? Would this change if the external raid had 16x PCIe access instead of Tbrd 2?

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 23, 2013 at 4:05:54 pm

[Herb Sevush] "Would this be true if you were comparing the single internal drive to an external raid? Would this change if the external raid had 16x PCIe access instead of Tbrd 2?"

How fast is your RAID?

The Fusion IO ioFX [link] is 1.6TB, and that advertises a read bandwidth of 1.4 GB/s and a write bandwidth of 1.1 GB/s. Over PCIe 2.0 x4.

The Mac Pro mini-site quotes 1200 MB/s.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Oct 23, 2013 at 4:24:40 pm

[Walter Soyka] "The Mac Pro mini-site quotes 1200 MB/s."

Wow, that's smokin'.

My raid gets around 900 MB/s. However 1.6 TB is about 10X too small for my needs, which of course would quadruple if I ever went to 4K. Still, that's amazing.

OWC has PCIe SSD's that max out at 880 MB/s, this is 50% faster. I Imagine boot times and program starts would be brisk, to say the least. Definitely fast enough for media, although I'm still old fashioned enough to want to keep media separate from OS for organizational simplicity.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Oct 22, 2013 at 6:54:08 pm

Based on this and LogicProX- I'd say we'll likely see some UI tweaking to "de-chrome" the interface.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Oct 22, 2013 at 6:59:16 pm

[Marcus Moore] "Based on this and LogicProX- I'd say we'll likely see some UI tweaking to "de-chrome" the interface.
"

I think iMovie is more or less how 10.1 will look. Garageband now looks very similar to Logic Pro X.

I'm looking forward to it, I think it will look great!

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Oct 23, 2013 at 2:18:10 am

[Rich Rubasch] "I do like the new Mac Pro. Also having Mavericks able to run on older Macs (we have 'em) is a great addition. I have a workhorse of an old MacBookPro that I can't upgrade to Mountain Lion."

Kind of amazing. I have an MBP Pro that didn't qualify for Lion, yet seems to be able to take Mavericks. Now, that is forward momentum...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]