FORUMS: list search recent posts

New Mac Pro AND a FCP-X shout out. Happy now?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Davis
New Mac Pro AND a FCP-X shout out. Happy now?
on Oct 22, 2013 at 5:44:05 pm

So, $2995!

Yippie.

No word on the highest end. but that's pretty awesome.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
Re: New Mac Pro AND a FCP-X shout out. Happy now?
on Oct 22, 2013 at 5:46:38 pm

Currently showing the new version of iMovie, doesn't look like FCPX any more probably a clue to what the new FCPX will look like as the new Garageband looks like Logic!

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Oct 22, 2013 at 5:50:53 pm

[Bill Davis] "So, $2995!

Yippie.

No word on the highest end. but that's pretty awesome."

Man it was quiet when he said the price. No one clapped...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Oct 22, 2013 at 5:53:12 pm

Possibly not many Mac Pro users in the audience! That's not a bad price considering the tech.

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 22, 2013 at 6:04:34 pm

No mention of FCX, Bill. Unless you confused iMovie with FCX, which would be REALLY ironic...

:)

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Oct 22, 2013 at 6:28:10 pm

Weirdly, Shane - that wasn't acutally the headline I wrote for the post. As I hit "send" I noticed that somehow, that headline had been auto inserted!

Mine was "MacPro arrives at $2995."

The weird ways of the interwebs and blogs!

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Oct 22, 2013 at 6:41:49 pm

Actually Schiller did mention the new version of FCPX when he talked about the MacPro. It will be released in December, together with the new MP.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Oct 22, 2013 at 6:56:54 pm

They specifically mentioned new versions of both FCPX and Aperture were coming in the MacPro section.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 22, 2013 at 11:34:10 pm

Yup, that's the only mention. "Hey, look, Dean Devlin is using the new FCX with the new MacPros."

That's it.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Oct 23, 2013 at 12:14:54 am

[Shane Ross] ""Hey, look, Dean Devlin is using the new FCX with the new MacPros.""

Dean Devlin was a big name back in the 90s...

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Oct 22, 2013 at 6:03:37 pm

So somebody didn't like the crickets video and had it removed? Is this site being run by the NSA?

Mitch Ives

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Oct 22, 2013 at 6:13:23 pm

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Oct 22, 2013 at 6:14:25 pm

[Mitch Ives] "So somebody didn't like the crickets video and had it removed? Is this site being run by the NSA?"

I thought people might have thought it was stupid so I deleted it but they're back!

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on Oct 22, 2013 at 6:16:33 pm

Totally OT but talking of removing videos, It reminds me of an incident that happened a few years ago.
I used to do bits of editing work from time to time for an Arabic channel based in London but run from Dubai called MBC.
One afternoon they were showing a natural history show about birds when they got a call from one of the owners in Dubai saying "I don't like birds take this programme off"
They were forced to pull it off air and blamed "technical difficulties" for the loss of programme!

true fact.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

8 Core MacPro, Kona 3, Tangent Wave, Mackie Universal Symphony 6.5 or MC V 7 with Symphony option. FCP7, Color, Media creation and conversion. Adobe Encore DVD creation and authoring.
i7 2.7 Gig MBP (non retina) 16Gigs Ram Blackmagic Monitor Mini Symphony 6.5 or MC v7 with Symphony option FCP7
7TB raid 5 fibre storage.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Oct 22, 2013 at 6:13:07 pm

[Mitch Ives] "Man it was quiet when he said the price. No one clapped..."

2995 sounds like a lot when everything else is free. Personally I was very impressed with the aggressive pricing.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 22, 2013 at 6:14:01 pm

[Herb Sevush] "2995 sounds like a lot when everything else is free. Personally I was very impressed with the aggressive pricing."

Did they mention the specs for the base model?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on Oct 22, 2013 at 6:19:39 pm

[Walter Soyka] "Did they mention the specs for the base model?"

According to the live blog on http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/oct/22/ipad-5-and-ipad-mini-2-la...

Cost: $2999 base configuration - 3.7GHz, 12GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 2GB.

When? "Before the end of the year." (It's been promised for ages.)

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

8 Core MacPro, Kona 3, Tangent Wave, Mackie Universal Symphony 6.5 or MC V 7 with Symphony option. FCP7, Color, Media creation and conversion. Adobe Encore DVD creation and authoring.
i7 2.7 Gig MBP (non retina) 16Gigs Ram Blackmagic Monitor Mini Symphony 6.5 or MC v7 with Symphony option FCP7
7TB raid 5 fibre storage.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Oct 22, 2013 at 6:26:16 pm

[Neil Patience] "Cost: $2999 base configuration - 3.7GHz, 12GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 2GB."

Not worth getting in my opinion, considering you can't upgrade anything other than the RAM.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Oct 22, 2013 at 6:29:20 pm

[Gary Huff] "Not worth getting in my opinion, considering you can't upgrade anything other than the RAM."

I wouldn't want the base model, but it leads me to believe that at around 4K there might be something I would want.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Oct 22, 2013 at 7:52:16 pm

[Herb Sevush] "I wouldn't want the base model, but it leads me to believe that at around 4K there might be something I would want."

I agree the 6-core with four-way memory interleaving looks like it will perform better but I may need to increase that 256GB flash storage to 512GB. My boot drive on the iMac (with 3 TB internal) is already more than 256GB so would hate to spend all that money and find out you are cramped for boot space (don't want to boot from an external drive although I know that option works well).

Going to be $500 more than I had predicted a while back to join the party (was hoping for $2,499 entry, $3,499 mid-level, $4,999 high-end). A fully maxed out 12-core Mac Pro (like Apple uses for all those performance comparisons) looks like it might be just under five figures but we need to wait I suppose until December. The existing Mac Pro remains a value competitor given the price differences.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Oct 23, 2013 at 12:30:58 am

[Rick Lang] "The existing Mac Pro remains a value competitor given the price differences."

Considering the power efficiency and HVAC load differential, I suspect maybe not.

Schiller noted that the power consumption was cut from around 167 down to 40 or so watts at idle - and the unit needs only a single fan to cool, due primarily if I understand it correctly, to the flow through tube heat sink design.

So at least here in AZ where power for AC is a huge deal, having a smaller, energy efficient computer that generates a lot less heat is a pretty significant cost saving over years of service. Also it being that QUIET means some of us won't have to pay extra any longer for sound deadening enclosures.- particular for a media production machine where the chance of needing to open a mic to do VO or narration near the unit is a significant possibility.

Smaller, lighter, faster & way more power efficient - all around the same price points where a robustly configured MacPro from the last generation sat.

Seems like quite a LOT of technological progress happening with this.

And sorry, but the dual GPU deal alone has got to leverage it WAY past any iMac or MacBook Pro - both units that aren't really all that far behind in terms of cost.

$500 bucks is $500 bucks for sure, but for a professional tool, I'm not sure that's anywhere in the ballpark of a number that would cause a working artist to feel forced to go with a less capable unit then they would prefer.

The wildcard, of course, is monitors. You get those included with iMacs and Laptops. Be interesting to see what Apple comes up with when it comes to displays. That's where the cost bump will likely show up I suspect.

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Oct 23, 2013 at 1:00:05 am

[Bill Davis] "Considering the power efficiency and HVAC load differential, I suspect maybe not.

Schiller noted that the power consumption was cut from around 167 down to 40 or so watts at idle - and the unit needs only a single fan to cool, due primarily if I understand it correctly, to the flow through tube heat sink design.

So at least here in AZ where power for AC is a huge deal, having a smaller, energy efficient computer that generates a lot less heat is a pretty significant cost saving over years of service. Also it being that QUIET means some of us won't have to pay extra any longer for sound deadening enclosures.- particular for a media production machine where the chance of needing to open a mic to do VO or narration near the unit is a significant possibility.

Smaller, lighter, faster & way more power efficient - all around the same price points where a robustly configured MacPro from the last generation sat.

Seems like quite a LOT of technological progress happening with this.

And sorry, but the dual GPU deal alone has got to leverage it WAY past any iMac or MacBook Pro - both units that aren't really all that far behind in terms of cost.

$500 bucks is $500 bucks for sure, but for a professional tool, I'm not sure that's anywhere in the ballpark of a number that would cause a working artist to feel forced to go with a less capable unit then they would prefer.

The wildcard, of course, is monitors. You get those included with iMacs and Laptops. Be interesting to see what Apple comes up with when it comes to displays. That's where the cost bump will likely show up I suspect."

Looking at the total lifetime cost of ownership, those things you mentioned are appealing. I was taking a short-term view and ignoring the fact that you are going to supply external storage (which can apply to the existing Mac Pro and 3TB iMac too). I agree the cost over my initial estimate was perhaps too low, but I was betting Apple wanted to turn some heads with the price as well as the design. I think the new price is reasonable but it was eerie that you could hear a pin drop when the price was announced. The guy who holds up the applause sign must have been on sick leave today.

I think someone needs to produce a 4K calibrated monitor with true 10bit colour (and 12bit inputs) that doesn’t cost more than the entry-level Mac Pro. Will Apple do it?

I think this new Mac Pro will do well and will be interesting to see how people are configuring their machines and putting them to work.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Oct 23, 2013 at 2:20:36 am

[Bill Davis] "So at least here in AZ where power for AC is a huge deal, having a smaller, energy efficient computer that generates a lot less heat is a pretty significant cost saving over years of service. Also it being that QUIET means some of us won't have to pay extra any longer for sound deadening enclosures.- particular for a media production machine where the chance of needing to open a mic to do VO or narration near the unit is a significant possibility."

+1 on that. The noise thing is an issue these days, given the changes in how we do things...

Mitch Ives

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 23, 2013 at 2:30:40 am

[Herb Sevush] "I wouldn't want the base model, but it leads me to believe that at around 4K there might be something I would want."

Hey Herb,

Call me first... I have some "additional" info to share with you that you might wish to consider.

DRW

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com

Sales | Integration | Support

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Oct 22, 2013 at 6:58:23 pm

RAM and SSD.

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Oct 23, 2013 at 4:45:57 am

[Gary Huff] "Not worth getting in my opinion, considering you can't upgrade anything other than the RAM."

You may be right, Gary, but let’s wait and see when the Mac Pros have been released. The memory is certainly an easy user-upgrade, but I’m wondering if the various other options will only be available as build-to-order at time of purchase or could be offered as upgrades later by Apple and/or third parties.

Technically it looks like it could be possible that any of the options could be offered by Apple if they chose that route. Doesn’t look like a physical impediment except for the CPU originally selected but maybe even that CPU card is replaceable. The flash storage and GPUs may just be boards that can plug into a socket. Might really help their sales if buyers thought they had an upgrade path in the future if they needed more power.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Oct 23, 2013 at 9:47:13 am

[Rick Lang] "The flash storage and GPUs may just be boards that can plug into a socket. Might really help their sales if buyers thought they had an upgrade path in the future if they needed more power."

The GPU's are custom designs though and going by the stupid-high price 'Mac versions' of standard GFX cards go for I can't imagine what the after market price of MP Tube GFX cards would be (talk about a niche w/in a niche w/in a niche market).

Return to posts index

Sandeep Sajeev
on Oct 23, 2013 at 5:33:15 am

[Gary Huff] "you can't upgrade anything other than the RAM"

The SSD can be upgraded as well. Upto 1 TB.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 23, 2013 at 5:53:49 am

[Sandeep Sajeev] "The SSD can be upgraded as well. Upto 1 TB."

While technically a solid state disk, I think the term SSD might get confusing. The Mac Pro's PCIe-based flash storage is significantly faster than traditional SATA-bus-bound SSDs.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Oct 22, 2013 at 6:25:41 pm

Quad core E5 Xeon, twin AMD firepro 300, 12 gig memory, 256 gig SSD.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Oct 24, 2013 at 6:34:57 pm

Walter, J think I found the corresponding Intel Xeon E5 chips for each model except for the 3.0GHz 8-core.

4-core: E5-1620 v2 1-socket 3.7GHz cache 10MB power 130W
6-core: ES-1650 v2 1-socket 3.5GHz cache 12MB power 130W
8-core: E5-1680 v2 1-socket? 3.0GHz cache 25MB power 130W
12-core: E5-2697 v2 2-socket 2.7GHz cache 30MB power 130W

Edit: found the correct description for the 8-core chip. Intel has not yet updated all web pages for it.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Oct 24, 2013 at 7:09:04 pm

[Rick Lang] " I found the corresponding Intel Xeon E5 chips for each model except for the 3.0GHz 8-core.

4-core: E5-1620 v2 1-socket 3.7GHz cache 10MB power 130W
6-core: ES-1650 v2 1-socket 3.5GHz cache 12MB power 130W
12-core: E5-2697 v2 2-socket 2.7GHz cache 30MB power 130W
"

Their is an equivalent Dell work station, the T3600 with the 6 core E5-1650, Dual firepro w5000 GPu, 16 Gigs 1600MHz Ram, 256 Gig SSD with 1 Terr Hard Drive. I'm sure it is not as power efficient, as quiet or as small, and it is loaded with PCIe instead of Tbolt 2, which in my case is a big plus. Cost is $3467. At $4000 the Tube, with it's much faster boot drive and higher memory speed, is price competitive.

I'm sure their is an HP equivalent as well.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Oct 22, 2013 at 6:16:06 pm

[Herb Sevush] "2995 sounds like a lot when everything else is free. Personally I was very impressed with the aggressive pricing.
"

Their failure to clap I think means they were not impressed with the price. The same thing happened with the new iPad Air... not a single clap when the price was announced. Perhaps because everybody else's pads are dropping in price?

Mitch Ives

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 22, 2013 at 6:26:46 pm

They needed the iPad mini retina at $299 and lose the old one. Or at least $329. Raising the price wasn't a very good idea.

Return to posts index

Eric Mueller
on Oct 22, 2013 at 6:34:20 pm

Goes up a grand for 6 core models. Maybe the same again for 8 and 12?

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Oct 22, 2013 at 6:44:44 pm

Well that price sort feels a bit more attainable although they always hike things up for sale in the UK and then some with the 20% Vat.

My main impression of the show was pretty favourable although I still really miss Steve Job's presence.

Return to posts index

Juan Manuel
on Oct 22, 2013 at 7:25:24 pm

Apparently the $2999 machine can be configured with 6 and 8 cores cpus, so I guess it works for people who thinks the entry levels gpus are good enough for them but they want the additional cores

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Oct 22, 2013 at 8:01:34 pm

If you just needed a new mac pro as a server that would be fine methinks.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Michael Hendrix
on Oct 22, 2013 at 8:04:44 pm

Could this be the death of the MacPro?

The system is smoking hot but the market just got smaller. Four $4k, you get a 6-core, 16 GB of RAM and 3GB of video ram. Still no monitor.

For $3,300 on the iMac side, Quad core, 32 gb of ram, 4gb video ram, monitor included.

I know there's alot more under the hood of the new MacPro, but geez, my iMac will handle 99% of my needs. (of course I'm not doing 4k, but who its)

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Oct 22, 2013 at 8:41:36 pm

$2999 for the base model seems on the high side when you price out building something similar. That said, it will be a big huge PC case full of cards and loud fans.

I built a thunderbolt customac with the best processor an iMac has now. It's amazingly fast and cost $1500 all in. But I bet the cheapest new mac pro will run circles around it with how integrated the hardware is. I will get one as the lack of thunderbolt was what caused me to build them in the first place.

The good news is that the ram and the ssd are user upgradeable which is good news. I never buy memory from apple if I can avoid it. It's so much more expensive than getting the same thing from OWC.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Oct 22, 2013 at 9:23:17 pm

[Darren Roark] "But I bet the cheapest new mac pro will run circles around it with how integrated the hardware is."

The only thing it will be noticeably faster in is the PCIe-based storage, that you can always add later to your Hackintosh.

Seriously, if it was the "integration" that made it faster, then why wouldn't an iMac also run circles around yours?

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Oct 22, 2013 at 11:09:33 pm

[Gary Huff] "Seriously, if it was the "integration" that made it faster, then why wouldn't an iMac also run circles around yours?"

Actually my tower has almost the same geekbench score as an iMac. Even though my tower technically has more muscle, the iMac I used on a freelance job felt snappier.

My retina MBP 15" gets 13240 on geekbench with a 2.6ghz processor and 16gb vs a 3.5ghz and 32gb on my tower getting around 14800. Not much difference in performance with a big difference in specs.

The main benefit of the tower is the AMD 7950 that gives me much better FCP X performance in playback and rendering. AMD's OpenCL capabilities are much stronger than Nvidia's. (I have a 680 I swap out when I need to use Resolve which is a pain)

If this really is from a new 8-core mac pro it's as fast as the 12-core current tower: http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/86294

Apple are really good at squeezing as much performance out of their hardware. Me, not so much.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Oct 23, 2013 at 12:14:05 am

[Darren Roark] "Apple are really good at squeezing as much performance out of their hardware. Me, not so much."

I'm not sure you realize that you're comparing Apples to Oranges. First of all, benchmarking software is really not a good indicator of performance, given it's limited ability to test things. It's a Quad Core CPU in that MBP, and a Quad-Core CPU in your Hackintosh (you haven't given specs, but I bet it's just a Core i7 desktop variety).

Geekbench isn't really going to show an improvement of 32GB over 16GB for instance. But it will be there when you go to work on stuff.

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Oct 22, 2013 at 9:58:00 pm

[Michael Hendrix] "Four $4k, you get a 6-core, 16 GB of RAM and 3GB of video ram. Still no monitor."

That's 3GB on each of the two GPUs so 6GB VRAM in total. Still your point is valid. If you are working in HD video, a high-end iMac appears to do the job just fine. If you plan to shoot in 4K, the DaVinci Resolve 10 Configuration guide suggests the high-end iMac can still be an option if you do your grading of the 4K video on a HD timeline. You would then render your completed project out to a 4K deliverable if you needed that. Going to be interesting when BMD upgrades the guide to include the new Mac Pros. Wonder what they'll say for a full 4K workflow.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Oct 23, 2013 at 12:14:31 am

[Rick Lang] "That's 3GB on each of the two GPUs so 6GB VRAM in total."

Are you sure it's not 1.5GB on each for a total of 3GB?

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Oct 23, 2013 at 12:15:58 am

Yes, it's 6gb total. I have the 7950 which is similar to the ones in the mac pro and it's 3gb.

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Oct 23, 2013 at 12:48:25 am

[Gary Huff] "Are you sure it's not 1.5GB on each for a total of 3GB?
"

The D300 has 2GB on each card, the D500 has 3GB per card, and the D700 has 6GB on each card. Surely having 6GB will be enough… until the next great thing we can’t imagine being without arrives at least.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Oct 23, 2013 at 3:22:30 am

[Rick Lang] "The D300 has 2GB on each card, the D500 has 3GB per card, and the D700 has 6GB on each card. Surely having 6GB will be enough… until the next great thing we can’t imagine being without arrives at least."

I remember 'back in the day' of 2006 where 512mb was an insane amount of vram.

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Oct 23, 2013 at 4:35:02 am

[Darren Roark] "I remember 'back in the day' of 2006 where 512mb was an insane amount of vram."

With only one physical chassis for the new Mac Pro but all options being available, you could conceivably order a 4-core CPU, with only 12GB compressible DDR3 memory, say 512GB of PCIe flash storage, and the dual D700 GPUs with a total of 12GB DDR5 VRAM. It’s stunning to think that machines now can have as much VRAM as RAM when traditionally graphics memory was always a small fraction of system memory. Is this the true marker of the ascendency of the GPU?

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 23, 2013 at 5:48:40 am

[Rick Lang] "With only one physical chassis for the new Mac Pro but all options being available, you could conceivably order a 4-core CPU, with only 12GB compressible DDR3 memory, say 512GB of PCIe flash storage, and the dual D700 GPUs with a total of 12GB DDR5 VRAM. It’s stunning to think that machines now can have as much VRAM as RAM when traditionally graphics memory was always a small fraction of system memory. Is this the true marker of the ascendency of the GPU?"

VRAM: It's Not Just for Frame Buffers Anymore (tm).

I actually think that VRAM growth has stalled, even as the usefulness of GPUs has taken off. The Quadro 6000, available for Windows and Linux, featured 6 GB of VRAM on a single card in 2010. (Of course, it also cost more than this entire computer!)

GPGPU wasn't quite as awesome then as it was now, and the card with all its glorious VRAM was really aimed its certified apps which mainly used traditional graphics acceleration.

I have been sharply critical of Apple for their lame GPU support in the past, but credit where it's due: no one is doing more to push GPGPU than they are, shipping dual GPUs standard.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Oct 23, 2013 at 7:58:03 am

[Walter Soyka] "I have been sharply critical of Apple for their lame GPU support in the past, but credit where it's due: no one is doing more to push GPGPU than they are, shipping dual GPUs standard.
"

I haven't been following recently. How similar an approach is this to SLI? Always bugged me that I couldn't do that on a Mac. Is that pretty much what this is?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 23, 2013 at 8:10:05 am

[Chris Harlan] "I haven't been following recently. How similar an approach is this to SLI? Always bugged me that I couldn't do that on a Mac. Is that pretty much what this is?"

SLI is way of dividing traditional graphics processing (i.e., drawing and shading textured polygons, hardware antialiasing, etc.) among multiple cooperating GPUs.

GPGPU (general purpose computing on graphics processor units) is all about crunching numbers like a CPU does.

I would not be surprised if these systems use AMD's CrossFireX technology, but like SLI, that's about accelerating the graphics processing pipeline and would not be used for distributing OpenCL processing across the GPUs.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

alban egger
on Oct 24, 2013 at 8:24:26 pm

For those mentioning and thinking of iMacs in comparison to the new MacPro: consider the new 15" MacBOOK PRO has the same graphics as the best 21" iMac. IMacs have mobile graphiccards!! They work fine nowadays in 1080 and in proxyres. But in 1,5 years you will get a 4K project or at least some 4K footage....and then you will think if €1000 additional investment on a machine that last 3-4 years wouldn't have been better.

I have the same thoughts, mind you. 3k is a lot, especially if you have no monitors yet. 256 GB storage is hardly enough and 12 GB is definitely not enough. So it is a pricey machine. But honestly i expected worse. And not many years ago we would have killed for such specs below 5.000.......

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]