FORUMS: list search recent posts

As usual...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>

Gary Huff
Re: As usual...
on Oct 15, 2013 at 3:46:59 pm

If the 15" include IRIS and nothing else, I may have to go out and get the 2012 15" non-Retina model.

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Oct 15, 2013 at 5:55:51 pm

[Gary Huff] " I may have to go out and get the 2012 15" non-Retina model."

I'm not exactly flush at the moment, but considering picking up another 2011-12 i7 Quad 17" MBP when I have some dough. I think we both did the same MBP upgrades and I'm really happy with mine so I'd pick another one from the online Apple Store/ Refurbished section. The new one would go to my wife and then if I needed an emergency backup MBP, I can use hers. I'm still a fan of the 17" size (old eyes) and the 1920x1200 screen resolution as I don't need to go to 4k anytime soon. I wish these models had USB 3 built-in, but I can live with Thunderbolt and FW800.

Dave

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Oct 15, 2013 at 8:36:00 pm

[Dave Gage] "I wish these models had USB 3 built-in, but I can live with Thunderbolt and FW800."

That's my biggest problem. Yes, I have basically the same kitted out MBP 17" now (currently writing this on it) and I love it, but USB3 bites me in the ass every time a producer tosses a bus-powered drive at me to store the REDCODE or ProResHQ footage that I'm shooting.

Even after I have specifically ask for FW800, eSATA, or TBolt. It's either because they couldn't find anything else, or the other drives were "too expensive".

Though that new Caldigit dock looks promising. The Belkin apparently has "meh" USB3 performance.

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Oct 15, 2013 at 9:07:21 pm

[Gary Huff] "but USB3 bites me in the ass every time a producer tosses a bus-powered drive at me to store the REDCODE or ProResHQ footage that I'm shooting."

I specifically called and talked to OWC awhile back about whether they might have plans to create an inexpensive TB to USB 3 cable or dock, but nothing was planned and the market for it wouldn't be great since this issue only affects roughly 2011 MBP and iMacs users. I don't have clients, so that's not an issue for me, but I'd like to move from eSata and FW800 bare drive docks to USB3 for speed and ease of use.

Someone here mentioned awhile back that a ThunderBolt to USB 3 cable wouldn't be easy to make for technical reasons (don't remember what they were), but that would be perfect for me.

Dave

Return to posts index

Matt Trubac
on Oct 16, 2013 at 3:19:49 am

I don't know if you've experienced it, but USB3 on the 2012 and newer macs has problems. It ignores the system preference to put hard drives to sleep when possible. Even with the setting unchecked my USB 3 drives will spin down every few minutes. SUPER ANNOYING! USB 3 also has problems with disconnecting, especially after a system sleeps.. You get messages the drives were improperly disconnected and to eject your drive before disconnecting it. I've had a few corrupt drives from this. I get a message when the drive mounts that it's damaged and cannot be repaired. I reverted to USB 2 for bare drive docks on my 27" late 2012 iMac. Since the 10.8.5 update I've had similar problems with USB 2 though. I installed the supplemental update which I thought would solve it, but it is still happening... Less frequently. I've heard reports on apple user forums that it happens with thunderbolt drives too but I have not experienced it yet. The only thunderbolt drive I have is a Pegasus R4.

Apple needs to get their act together. I think they've gotten a little too comfortable riding the iPhone wave. Waves don't last forever.

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on Oct 16, 2013 at 11:30:26 am

This has been driving me crazy. Never had it happen with a TB drive, but my usb3 drive is useless on the 2013 iMac. Constantly getting kicked off. Switched it back to a usb2 connector and it works fine.

No trouble with the usb3 drive on the 2013 MBPr. Everything works good there.

Return to posts index

Matt Trubac
on Oct 16, 2013 at 2:23:24 pm

Drives me crazy too. Does the USB 3 drive respect the system preference to not put drives to sleep on your 2013 MBPr?

The fact it works fine on one of your systems and not on others makes me think it is a hardware problem.

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on Oct 16, 2013 at 2:55:56 pm

Never had any problems with usb3 on the MBPr. One thing on both is that the usb3 also ejects way slower than other drives. Slower than even when it's hooked up as usb2. But no problems with usb3 on the MBPr.

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Oct 16, 2013 at 3:30:52 pm

[Dave Gage] "Someone here mentioned awhile back that a ThunderBolt to USB 3 cable wouldn't be easy to make for technical reasons (don't remember what they were), but that would be perfect for me."

This thread?

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Oct 16, 2013 at 8:17:22 pm

[Andrew Richards] "This thread?"

Andy,

Yep, dat be da one. Thanks for the reminder, I went through and read the whole thread again. And you were the one that essentially answered my question. I'm in no hurry, but maybe someone will come out with something at some point.

Actually, if OWC or someone else made a reasonably priced bare drive dock with a Thunderbolt connection, I'd be a happy fella. I realize TB is overkill for a single drive, but it would give me the eSata or USB 3 speed without using either of those. As I said in that linked post, I now edit off a 2nd internal drive in the MBP, so it's really about speeding up backups for me.

Dave

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Oct 16, 2013 at 1:55:43 am

I've got one of these, spec'd out to the nines, including the 750GB SSD. Let me know when you start looking- I might be of a mind to let her go depending on how much this MacPro is going to set me back.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]