FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX w/MacBook Pro

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Fouther
FCPX w/MacBook Pro
on Oct 9, 2013 at 9:52:27 pm

Would the macBook Pro w/Retina display 2.6GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 processor work will with FCPX want to use it for editing also in process of renting a JH-3 deck to transfer HDCAM tapes to files within FCPX and was going to use new macBook to do job. I have a G5 first generation w/ 2x3 GHz Dual-Core 6GB 667 MHz DDR2-FB-DIMM but it doesn't have Thunder bolt ports plus wanted to move over to the Pro.

Return to posts index

James Cude
Re: FCPX w/MacBook Pro
on Oct 9, 2013 at 10:48:59 pm

All current model Macs work with FCPX. Question is what are you looking for in terms of performance. Currently the MacBook Pro and the higher end iMacs are going to give the best performance with maxed out RAM, GPU RAM, etc.

Return to posts index

Michael Fouther
on Oct 9, 2013 at 11:11:57 pm

I was thinking that the macbook would work better than trying to build up (RAM) with my old G5 since it doesn't have thunder bolt ports, etc., plus that fact that I'm trying to rent a JH-3 deck to transfer HDCAM tapes to import digital files for online final edit in HD (did offline in dv) which my G5 wont work with the deck at all and FCPX on my G5 does work (for small projects) but not for the large file my film would be. Thinking the upgrade makes since to do at this time of offline to online edit.

This whole process started when I wanted to go to a post house to transform tapes to digital files and got the quote 3k-4k for (41) HDCAM tapes then we looked into renting the deck and purchasing new macBook for less than just the transfer at post house.

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
on Oct 9, 2013 at 10:58:31 pm

You can't use FCPX anyway with a G5.

The Retina MBP will work very well.

"Always look on the bright side of life" - Monty Python

Return to posts index

James Cude
on Oct 9, 2013 at 11:19:44 pm

Yeah don't tell that to the transfer house... Don't forget you'll also need some sort of capture hardware such as a Blackmagic or AJA Thunderbolt device to capture the incoming HD-SDI from the HDCAM Deck.

Return to posts index

Michael Fouther
on Oct 9, 2013 at 11:28:41 pm

Yes looking at Blackmagic UltraStudio express. I did get FCPX loaded up on my G5 and it worked, I cut a couple of sizzle reels on it, they were small projects, its on my G5 now!?

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Oct 10, 2013 at 2:26:08 am

[Michael Fouther] "I did get FCPX loaded up on my G5 and it worked, I cut a couple of sizzle reels on it, they were small projects, its on my G5 now!?"

Then you do not have a G5.

Return to posts index

Michael Fouther
on Oct 10, 2013 at 3:53:13 am

ok guess the model name; Mac Pro dual-Core Intel Xeon 3GHz processor, thought on my receipt it said G5 when I purchased back in 08. Well I hope this puts me in a better place. tks.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Oct 10, 2013 at 12:49:50 pm

[Michael Fouther] "ok guess the model name; Mac Pro dual-Core Intel Xeon 3GHz processor, thought on my receipt it said G5 when I purchased back in 08. Well I hope this puts me in a better place. tks."

Any current MacBook Pro will probably lap the '08 Mac Pro.

Return to posts index

Michael Fouther
on Oct 11, 2013 at 11:52:35 am

Thanks to all the feedback I now know that I do have a G5 but that I have a MacPro 1,1 which can work with FCP X. the new issue as formed regarding the Sony JH-3 Deck that I'll use to in-guest our HDCAM tapes in to perform our online final edit in HD! I was told to add a PCI-e card which the BlackmagicDesign "DeckLink Studio" card will be a good capture card for my Mac Pro 1,1. I'll be able to connect w/ SDI ports and need to get Deck Control and this system will work. Does this make sense?

Return to posts index

Helmut Kobler
on Oct 9, 2013 at 11:23:25 pm

Just keep in mind that Apple may be releasing a new Macbook Pro Retina in the next month or so. You might want to look at Macrumors.com's Buyer's Guide for details.

-------------------
Los Angeles Cameraman
Canon C300 (x2), Zeiss CP.2 lenses, P2 Varicam, etc.
http://www.lacameraman.com

Return to posts index

Michael Fouther
on Oct 9, 2013 at 11:30:15 pm

WOW they're always moving the bar! thanks I'll look into it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]