FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting EDL from FCPX using EDL-X.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Lee
Exporting EDL from FCPX using EDL-X.
on Oct 9, 2013 at 7:59:03 pm

Okay, so I know the process in how to do this; export XML, import into EDL-X, and make the EDL. Simple as that. But my real question is how do I create ONE EDL from my project.

Anytime I use the normal workflow, it gives me at least 7 or 8 EDL's. I tried collapsing my project into one video track, but that ended up giving me 26 EDL's!

My final workaround was to collapse into one track, export quicktime, then reimport, and THEN export the xml to take into EDL-X. While that did give me one XML, my colorist said it won't link to the events.

Anyone have any suggestions to get my FCPX project down to a single, usable EDL??

Specs: FCPX 10.9, EDLX 1.5.1,

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Exporting EDL from FCPX using EDL-X.
on Oct 10, 2013 at 12:26:01 pm

Collapse your connected clips to the timeline by using Overwrite to Storyline. Remove titles and generators. Detach all audio. Use no compound clips. This should give you a project that converts correctly into a single EDL.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 13, 2013 at 11:19:53 pm

Curious why the Colorist wants an EDL instead of the XML. Resolve has XML, FCPXML and AAF import. I have been importing from Pr CS6 without issue via XML. From FCPX not yet so can't say if it is reliable.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 13, 2013 at 11:34:02 pm

[Michael Gissing] "Curious why the Colorist wants an EDL instead of the XML"

In the sessions that I've been involved with, it's part of the facilities' specs. They have a Linux version of Resolve. Files are ingested and turned into DPX sequences prior to the DaVinci session. This is done with in-house software that manipulates the files (clips length + handles) based on the EDL info. They also require your sequence to be reduced to a single video track (EDL-friendly) and no slomo clips.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 14, 2013 at 12:34:52 am

Seems like an old fashioned way of working then. I prefer aaf or xml into Resolve and where possible link back to camera media so I can manipulate RED data.

As Resolve becomes a finishing tool (and version 10 is well on the way) then EDL ingest will hopefully disappear. The optical flow slo mos in Resolve 10 are fantastic. Title tool is a bit basic and FX plugins are a good start. More and more flattened EDLs will not be the preferred route.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 14, 2013 at 12:39:24 am

[Michael Gissing] "More and more flattened EDLs will not be the preferred route."

While I completely agree, I would point out that people have been saying EDLs would go away for quite a long time. The reason they persist is precisely because they are so brain-dead simple. No one likes AAF and XML is not consistent between vendors. My gut feeling is that people will start to standardize on FCP7 XML in much the same way as OMFs are ubiquitous. If anything, that will tend to overtake EDLs.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 14, 2013 at 12:50:35 am

And I have been saying that FCPX should have had OMF and EDLs included in the tool set not leaving it to outside vendors because they are such a useful fallback.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]