FORUMS: list search recent posts

My top want for 10.1....

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Sanders
My top want for 10.1....
on Oct 5, 2013 at 4:55:16 pm

Is a seamless way to ingest files to a big RAID and create proxies onto a different drive (say USB3 or FW800 portable drive). Work on a project or event on the small drive and then have it sync to the big drive.

Is it that hard?

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
Re: My top want for 10.1....
on Oct 5, 2013 at 5:23:22 pm

I'd imagine something like that would be do-able. Send feedback if you haven't, they actually do read that stuff. :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 5, 2013 at 5:44:11 pm

If someone has to TELL Apple things like that, then they shouldn't be making NLE software.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Oct 5, 2013 at 6:01:41 pm

It's not a question of whether anyone has to tell them. It's about how they prioritize it in development. If 1000 editors ask for something, that may move it up the ladder in terms of importance.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Oct 5, 2013 at 9:56:56 pm

[Marcus Moore] "t's not a question of whether anyone has to tell them. It's about how they prioritize it in development. If 1000 editors ask for something, that may move it up the ladder in terms of importance.
"

And once again you have to confront the scary reality that for every 1000 editors who have access to a BIG CENTRALIZED RAID ARRAY - there are likely 100,000 who don't.

Not saying they shouldn't do that or it wouldn't make a LOT of facility editors happy.

Also can see how it would leverage all the X goodness into a lot of higher end and laudable areas of influence.

But I still think there are a LOT of things that the designers can do that better enable EVERY X editor - rather than focusing over much on the needs of just the facilities guys.

I know it's "good for X" to add these types of capabilities even if only 10% of the editors using it have that need. But I wonder if that's the thing that's gonna substantially grow the X owner/users base?

Beyond my strategic pay grade, thankfully.

We'll see.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Oct 6, 2013 at 1:54:20 pm

Honestly, I think that would even out because I'm more inclined to believe that the more professional a user is, the more likely they are to send in user feedback to apple.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Oct 5, 2013 at 6:02:47 pm

[Bret Williams] "If someone has to TELL Apple things like that, then they shouldn't be making NLE software."

Well, yeah, but what I'm saying is that Apple prioritizes changes/new features they have planned in X based on the feedback they get. The more requests, the sooner it's likely to appear. Things like "bring back tracks!' get ignored, but requests for features they either have planned, or are actually good ideas, help push them out faster. :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 5, 2013 at 5:47:01 pm

Maybe I'm missing something, but you can do that now.

1. Place media on RAID, but create the Event on your small drive, not on the RAID.
2. Import media from the RAID, but leave it linked, not copied.
3. Transcode Proxies. These end up on the small drive inside the Event and not on the RAID.
4. Switch the prefs to Proxies and disconnected from the RAID if you want and continue editing with the small drive.
5. When ready to finish, re-attach to the RAID, swap toggle back to Original/Optimized and do the finishing.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Oct 5, 2013 at 5:41:41 pm

I'd add to this with better proxy / media handling. Go all in and let us for example define versions of a given shot / peice of media. I can see me having:

1. RAW footage
2. Optimized footage
3. Potential proxy footage
4. Graded footage
5. Post FX Shot footage

One could also add to the above for example specific versioning / language footage in the above as well. All of the above one would also want the option of being stored on different media locations.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 5, 2013 at 10:42:57 pm

[Erik Lindahl] "1. RAW footage
2. Optimized footage
3. Potential proxy footage
4. Graded footage
5. Post FX Shot footage"

Does any NLE keep track of all those things as one selectable clip?

That is to say, does any NLE see those 5 either around of a clip as one and the same via a preference change internal to the NLE?

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Oct 5, 2013 at 10:55:11 pm

I don't think any NLE does. But a few tools do have version-handling and FCPX has some "multi-file" handling per file so to speak. And Apple has the "auditions" feature there. One could also utilize the multi-cam feature, given it's the wrong tool for the job. The idea is for me very nice - given it has to be done "right". Roles + timecode should solve it I beilive. It would make my life / workflow in FCP7 easier for sure. We tend to keep:

1x Offline sequence
1x Online sequence

Per edit of a project. Some project will have 100+ versions in total. It should / could be way way smarter having for instance versions of clips and / or sequences. Apple is on to stuff with X but still feels very much version 1.0 of that something.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 6, 2013 at 12:14:24 am

Surely. But you can see the foundation. I was going to suggest multiclips for this too. Auditions wouldn't work as well since they don't have a sync feature. I guess the point I was asking about is, fcpx actually makes this somewhat possible, even though it's not automagic.

I end up with a lot of versions too, and duping Projects hasn't been a problem. Sometimes it takes a minute to dupe, but you can actually arrange multiple versions easily in the Finder with fcpx quit if it gets unruly in the Project Browser.

Since versioning is now a process in Logic, I hope fcpx engineers will be able to steal it.

Return to posts index

Sandeep Sajeev
on Oct 6, 2013 at 8:38:40 am

Can you elaborate on why you would need this at Clip level? I can see needing this level of differentiation at Timeline/Sequence level, but I guess I'm not understanding how having this info accessed and linked at clip level would be useful - apart from the RAW/Proxy/Optimized meta flags.

At Timeline/Sequence level, Flame Premium does keep track of the Metadata you list with some operator manipulation required. Smoke has a great Version feature, which lets you add Version Tracks to the current timeline and then hop between them.

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Oct 6, 2013 at 9:29:58 am

Maybe it's enough to have it at sequence-level. I just know how our timelines in FCP7 get where I import posted shots one track above un-posted ones. These have no real connection in the FCP7 timeline more than I know they belong there. It's also not uncommon I want to compare offline / grade / post footage to see if for example we've introduced deteriorating artifacts to a given shot. Also for versioning where you might have the same edit for five languages but different end-packs.

Return to posts index

Sandeep Sajeev
on Oct 6, 2013 at 10:35:59 am

[Erik Lindahl] "It's also not uncommon I want to compare offline / grade / post footage to see if for example we've introduced deteriorating artifacts to a given shot. Also for versioning where you might have the same edit for five languages but different end-packs."

This is exactly what Version Tracks do in Smoke/Flame. You can switch between them and/or compare them using Player Wipes etc. It's a really great feature that other packages should swipe.

I use it all the time for the exact same reasons I've quoted you above.

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on Oct 5, 2013 at 7:23:26 pm

You can do this in Prelude.

Return to posts index

Michael Sanders
on Oct 5, 2013 at 8:17:06 pm

If I ever switch to CC that's good to know - but I prefer editing in FCPX and it's not enough to make me leave. Especially when you can fool the system in FCP x. It's just would be nicer if they could automate it.

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Oct 5, 2013 at 10:12:00 pm

Premier Pro CC / Prelude doesn't actually keep track of different files does it? Like FCPX does regarding proxies, raw media and optimized media? Or has Adobe added that feature lately?

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on Oct 6, 2013 at 2:13:04 am

With Prelude you can create multiple flavors to multiple destinations. They all keep the same file name or you can have them be renamed if you choose. Relinking is easy.

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
on Oct 5, 2013 at 9:57:13 pm

As Oliver already stated, this is possible.

I did it for a project. I wanted to work on an edit with a client in Italy. I didn't want to pack a big setup. I just copied the Event and Projects to my SSD of the Retina Macbook Pro, let it make proxies over there. Switched to Proxy mode.

Went editing with the client with only those proxies on my internal SSD. Came back into the office, linked back. Painless.

Very powerful, if you ask me. With the switch of ONE button in your preferences...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]