Barefeats tests the new iMacs
on Oct 4, 2013 at 12:49:38 am

So here we go...

graphics:
http://www.barefeats.com/haswel1.html

and

cpu/flash storage:
http://www.barefeats.com/haswel2.html

Was hoping for better results in the graphic test...

"You never want to get to get a call from the editing room"
Art Adams

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
Re: Barefeats tests the new iMacs
on Oct 4, 2013 at 2:50:13 am

Not as good as I had hoped based on the marketing at the Apple site...

This will be a problem with Apple from here on out - by going with pre-installed graphics on both the iMac and Mac Pro there will never be the ease of just swapping out a PCIe card and getting an instant boost.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Oct 4, 2013 at 2:56:24 am

There's still absolutely NO solid information that says that GPUs won't be able to be replaced in the new MacPro.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Oct 4, 2013 at 3:11:11 am

I was expecting hire numbers as well. The Mac Pros, old as they are, look like they'll still have life in them as 'tweener' machines sitting between the iMacs and the new MP Tubes.

Marcus,
You are right that we don't know for sure about the replacing the GPUs but given that they are custom made for the MP Tube form factor I would be surprised if they are user replaceable. And if they are user replaceable I wonder about the cost and the GPU selection given the custom form factor.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Oct 4, 2013 at 3:27:09 am

I just don't think we can take anything for granted with this machine yet.

Also, even if it's a custom board, this time next year, when there's a new faster FirePro available, who's to say AMD won't make it available for individual sale. As long as we can get the thing out. And the construction of the new MacPro does not look impenetrable like a laptop or an iMac, based on the videos on Apple's site.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Oct 4, 2013 at 6:04:56 am

The big problem for me with the new Mac Pro is the use of an AMD gpu - will there ever be an nVidia option or will nVidia give up on the Mac market? As of today, in my own tests, nVidia still kicks AMD's butt and they seem to innovate much faster than AMD. While I expect Apple to optimize the new version of FCPX for AMD GPU's, I hate the idea of being stuck with one brand forever.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Oct 5, 2013 at 4:36:10 pm

While I think that AMD might have gotten exclusivity this time around, I don't see any reason why there couldn't be an nVidia option down the road.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Oct 4, 2013 at 1:06:43 pm

[Marcus Moore] "There's still absolutely NO solid information that says that GPUs won't be able to be replaced in the new MacPro.
"

Have you seen the previous FirePro PCIe cards? How exactly do you think they are going to shrink that down into a user replaceable part? It will definitely have to be soldered on to the mainboard, just like EVERY OTHER Mac machine aside from the ancient currently purchasable iteration of the Mac Pro.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Oct 5, 2013 at 4:39:33 pm

We just don't know- so we should stop presenting supposition as fact.

I look at the promo page on apples site and I see lots of room for user accessibility.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Oct 4, 2013 at 7:48:43 pm

I have a question I'd like to table now, since I'm planning on buying a new MacPro on release.

So far we've had 2 processor options presented-

The top end 12-core 2.7GHz

And likely a mid-tier option of a 8-core 3GHz

I know that some applications benefit more from higher clock-speeds and others from more cores.

Knowing that it's certainly going to make a lot of difference to max out the GPU (if fiscally possible), which option here most benefits FCPX and Motion? 12 cores at a slower clock-speed or 8-cores at higher?

Any thoughts or experiences?

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Oct 5, 2013 at 1:35:21 pm

This will have to be tested with the coming FCPX.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Oct 5, 2013 at 3:39:18 pm

I suppose, but even using the current software with multicore MacPro configs, which does FCPX benefit more from now, a 6-core 3.4GHz system or a 12-core lower GHz system?

Does FCPX lean one way or the other for what it does?

Return to posts index

Paul Harrison
on Oct 5, 2013 at 5:27:06 pm

The best way to pre-judge this would be to look at the relative performance of the MacBook Air and the Retina MacBook Pro 13. These can be obtained in (Air) Dual-core, quad-thread vs (MBP) quad-core, 8-thread configurations. Both sport AVX in the cpu instruction set, and use Intel HD Graphics on board. So you get _some_ idea of the relative power of additional cores with the modern instruction set, and aren't too distracted by differences in discrete GPU.

The important measures would be relative performance, not absolute, as the ability to bump a Pro up to more insane memory, the Xeon level of chip optimization and the dual Firepro gpus will make a world of difference.

Comparing machines with and without AVX (pre Ivy Bridge) would generally not be so indicative.

Return to posts index

Laiolo Giuseppe
on Feb 5, 2014 at 8:53:49 am

Hello
I am a new member of the forum and I'm sorry if I make some mistakes.
I recently installed FCPX 10.1.1 with OS Maverik.
My Mac Pro mid-2010 has an ATI Radeon 5870 graphics card with 1024 mb. While working with FCPX images are a bit jerky, especially when using multiple filters. I replace the graphics card. I've seen the test but I'm not sure what to buy. On my machine can fit the GTX 780?
You can choose another? I also need a full hd video output.
thanks

Return to posts index

Robert Gilman
on Feb 5, 2014 at 4:17:08 pm

You might get more value out of a second 5870 card. Take a look at http://www.fcp.co/forum/4-final-cut-pro-x-fcpx/18806-dual-gpus-in-old-class... . I have a 2008 Mac Pro which had a single 5770 card. I recently updated it so that it now has two 5770 cards, 16GB RAM and a 250 GB SSD boot drive. It is like a new machine and quite smooth with FCPX 10.1.1

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]