FORUMS: list search recent posts

"FCP-X Improved or Expedited" thread collapsed on my screen - so to continue...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Davis
"FCP-X Improved or Expedited" thread collapsed on my screen - so to continue...
on Oct 3, 2013 at 7:03:31 pm

Was involved in the interesting discussion in the "How has FCP-X Improved or Expedited, thread, but when I came back to the discussion today, that thread seems to have been collapsed down to about 3 participants and I wanted to respond to a couple of posts that indicate how students learning X from Scratch are finding it REALLY easy.

The comment form the teacher was that he had a student who had the audio track on the Primary and built his video BELOW that - and how the teacher's initial instinct was to "correct" the student - only to realize that with the X structure - it's no longer necessarily "correct" to require the video to be "over" the audio than vice versa.

Which reminded me that this idea was precisely part of my last week's AZFCPUG FCP-X on-line web lesson.

I demonstrated this music video timeline I built for a local artist...

Where my audio track is embedded in the primary as part of the multi-cam clip - then I was able to build both over AND under the Primary with video composites - depending on how I wanted the composites to work.

It's a VERY useful construct - not to be constrained by "audio tracks must always be BELOW an arbitrary line" - and Video tracks must always be ABOVE it.

FWIW.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
Re: "FCP-X Improved or Expedited" thread collapsed on my screen - so to continue...
on Oct 3, 2013 at 9:39:33 pm

I see you have many transitions on your secondary (upper track) video clips - do these not effect lower video? I was having a problem with some of the transitions effecting both the upper clip and whatever was underneath the transition.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

Jacob Brown
Re: "FCP-X Improved or Expedited" thread collapsed on my screen - so to continue...
on Oct 3, 2013 at 9:50:29 pm

i would LOVE if someone could set out an exhaustive explanation of how FCPX handles stacked alpha channel effects when compositing.

i've experienced some crazy weird results when doing music video work -- mostly just have to trial and error it and i never can predict the solution that will get me what i want.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Oct 3, 2013 at 10:05:22 pm

[Jacob Brown] "i would LOVE if someone could set out an exhaustive explanation of how FCPX handles stacked alpha channel effects when compositing."

What effects are you talking about when you say "alpha channel effects"?

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Jacob Brown
on Oct 3, 2013 at 10:07:31 pm

semi transparent layers stacked over fades stacked over other layers. with various compositing styles.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Oct 3, 2013 at 11:13:47 pm

Ok, so not specific FCPX effects filters, but just effects that can be done with transparency, composite modes and things like that.

What has you confused? The order of operations with regards to composite modes and transparency, or are you seeing things like transitions which affect layers below where the transitions actually are? If you're seeing the latter, that has to do with how Drop Zones translate between Motion and FCP.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]