FORUMS: list search recent posts

new mac pro fcp7 fcp10 or something else

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Clowers
new mac pro fcp7 fcp10 or something else
on Oct 3, 2013 at 3:12:54 pm

I was thinking of getting the new mac pro when it's released it time for me to upgrade I using 32 bit macpro about 5 yrs old.. if I upgrade will it support fcp7 is anyone moving to fcpx or moving to something else.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: new mac pro fcp7 fcp10 or something else
on Oct 3, 2013 at 4:00:45 pm

Everyone is sticking with 7. I haven't heard of anyone switching to X or anything else yet. :)

That's what this whole forum is about. X or not. The debate. So obviously people are switching to X or something. If you're planning on getting a MacPro to run 7, well, don't. There's really no point. 7 doesn't support GPU acceleration. It doesn't support more than 4 gigs ram. And, well, ok, you'll probably render things faster and have more rt. But that'll just cut into your billable hours anyway. Which means you'll never pay for the (likely) $4k-$8k beast Mac Tube.

You need to switch to something. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow. But using software last (minority) updated in 2009 and EOL'd in 2011 isn't a great idea. Get Premiere if you want a similar concept with a monthly fee, or get X if you want something new fresh and better in many ways, but lacking in many older ways.

Return to posts index

David Clowers
on Oct 3, 2013 at 4:15:54 pm

well thanks for the info. When I was at NAB this past year it some kind of give away and there were about 70 people standing there and he ask who is still on fcp7 almost all then he ask how many on fcpx only like 2 raised their hand.. and then there were a few others on something different.. People are going to have to switch to something if apple is not going to update 7.

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Oct 3, 2013 at 5:51:01 pm

Last month at IBC I witnessed quite the opposite. When the question was asked: "Who is working with Final Cut Pro 10?" about 70% of the people in the hall raised their hands. So yes, things are changing rapidly.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

David Clowers
on Oct 3, 2013 at 6:37:03 pm

I see that you are using both correct? will you move to fcpx completely?? is it easy to switch over..

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
on Oct 4, 2013 at 2:33:08 pm

Our offices also switched to X completely. I work as a freelancer there, but you could call me the senior editor over there. I switched to X when Apple brought out 10.0.3, and I kept using both 7 and X until 10.0.6. Then I pretty much switched over 100 percent of the work, and the officed followed.

Is it easy... I would definately advice you to approach it with an open mind, and watch some tutorials first. It has different media management, a different timeline behaviour, it's pretty much a completely new program.
If you learn it from someone who already knows a lot about X, I think you can learn a lot of the basics (to get you up and running) in a day.

But, like with all NLE's, to *Really* get to know it, you just need experience.

Return to posts index

David Clowers
on Oct 4, 2013 at 2:39:49 pm

thanks for the info.. really appreciate your input on this..

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Oct 7, 2013 at 4:00:56 pm

Be wary about upgrading now.

WIth a new update on the way that we should assume is going to be paid- I would hold on now until the next release. You wouldn't want to have to just repurchase again 4-6 weeks from now.

If anything, download the free 30 day trial to familiarize yourself with the basic tropes of the application, and yes avail yourself of some training. It will make evaluating or moving to the software much easier.

By the time the trial is up it's very likely the new version will be out.

Return to posts index

David Clowers
on Oct 9, 2013 at 3:20:02 pm

thanks for the info

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 4, 2013 at 2:28:53 am

They updated it. It's called FCP X.

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Oct 4, 2013 at 5:44:20 am

We have made the complete switch from 7 to X since October last year. The switch was very easy, mainly because we had been running FCPX on two test bays since June 2011 so our editors had sufficient time to learn it. If you have the intention of getting the new MacPro I think you absolutely should try FCPX on it as well.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

David Clowers
on Oct 4, 2013 at 2:40:49 pm

thank you sooo much..

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]