FORUMS: list search recent posts

fwiw

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aindreas Gallagher
fwiw
on Oct 2, 2013 at 9:03:24 pm

there did seem to be a shift in motion over here lately - sky, hogarth and a fair few other places are getting PPro CC going for parts of their stuff.

this crowd below are one of the bigger freelance edit placing agencies operating in the UK - they place a lot of people - and they sent this around social media a fair bit.

http://www.thecrewingcompany.com/news/story/calling-adobe-premiere-editors....

doesn't mean a huge amount - but its an unusually direct open call. you'd figure they are seeing client end push.
which is great for freelancers who love them some working lifetime subscriptions. yaaayy.

still, as the man says - if you can work away in PPro 6, you'll probably love getting asked to use PPro CC.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
Re: fwiw
on Oct 2, 2013 at 9:31:50 pm

Have you had a chance to play with CC yet?

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Oct 4, 2013 at 4:57:06 pm

[Steve Connor] "Have you had a chance to play with CC yet?"

I'm using CC on a large, flashy Sizzle right now, and loving it. I'm still discovering lots of things new to me and am at gee-whiz phase. I've gotten to really like the window docking and tabbing, especially on multiple monitors. I love having separate mixers for clips and tracks. I still feel Avid is a slightly better cutter, but part of that might be me blundering in to CC and not approaching it in a more organized fashion. Avid also feels snappier in terms of playback control, but again, that might be an adjustment that I need to make somewhere, but haven't yet. Overall, its quite good.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Oct 4, 2013 at 7:52:35 pm

nothing like working friday evening - yep. I like it a lot. I've had plays in the CC version. it feels extremely nice. the cc timeline feels lovely. That's the timeline I'd want to edit in really.

also - for anyone at all mograph shortform combo inclined coming from legend - its hard now to see any other edit system realistically.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Oct 4, 2013 at 7:58:53 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "also - for anyone at all mograph shortform combo inclined coming from legend - its hard now to see any other edit system realistically."

Yah. It's pretty neat.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Oct 4, 2013 at 8:10:00 pm

[Chris Harlan] "Yah. It's pretty neat."

and the source code will probably soon be open source :)

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Oct 4, 2013 at 8:46:22 pm

[Steve Connor] "and the source code will probably soon be open source :)
"

LOL. Yeah, I got the notice last night along with everybody else.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 3, 2013 at 1:02:48 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "still, as the man says - if you can work away in PPro 6, you'll probably love getting asked to use PPro CC."

So now what?

Keep up the love/hate of Adobe?

Return to posts index

andy lewis
on Oct 3, 2013 at 4:32:14 pm

This whole subscription thing is a bitter blow made worse by just how good Premiere CC is.

I did some paid jobs on 5.5 and then on 6 and both times got initially excited, then went back to FCP7. Ppro felt beautifully engineered and clunky clunky clunky.

Premiere CC does not feel like this. The long list of small UI improvements adds up to much more than the sum of its parts. The talk of it being FCP8 is not giving it anywhere near enough credit. If Apple had released this 2 years ago we would have all been stunned and Avid would have been very worried indeed.

It's not just that they've incorporated loads of nice touches from FCP7's interface (although they obviously have). It's that in so many ways they've designed something that works better. To pick one example, after 3 months on CC I now don't have to think about the keyboard shortcuts for expand/reduce audio tracks, expand/reduce video tracks, maximise/minimise all tracks, because I use them so much. Combined with the endless flexibility of window layouts, it really feels like the software gets out of the way and lets you focus on what you're doing.

Then with the stuff that has been great in Ppro for a long time - like keyframing.

SIGH.

Return to posts index

andy lewis
on Oct 3, 2013 at 4:42:20 pm

Also, just to add one thing. The flexibility of the UI now makes PPro by far the best NLE to use on a laptop. In my experience at least - mostly FCP3-7, FCPX and PPro.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Oct 3, 2013 at 7:10:36 pm

I totally agree - subscription pains aside - CC is the best NLE I've ever used - by far. I've been using it since June and have cut a variety of projects on it - even taking a couple of FCP 7 & 10 shows and .xmling them over to CC. I'm doing a polish edit this week on a feature film and it's just great - so fast and smooth and little features like the Scale to Seq and Merge Clips (for 5.1 stems) are so handy.

I start a fairly major TV special Monday which the Producers had planned for FCP 7, I've convinced them to use CC and they're cool with it.

Apple is going to have to do some major fixes in FCPX to get me to use it as a main NLE again - I like a lot about it but so far Premiere has been a much better NLE for my style of cutting and finishing.

For the record I'm running CC on a Mac Pro 4,1 and a newer i7 Win 7 workstation - the PC is miles faster and smoother than the Mac. I'm sure this would change with one of the new uber iMacs or the new Mac Pro.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 3, 2013 at 5:03:55 pm

[andy lewis] "The talk of it being FCP8 is not giving it anywhere near enough credit. "

Yes. I've said that from the beginning of the end of Final Cut Studio.

Final Cut, as we knew it, stopped being developed a long time ago.

Adobe marches on with super motivated developers and engineers. Pr itself has come a long way in a relatively short amount of time, and they have added tremendous amounts of functionality both big and small.

I just hope they get motivated enough to accept FCPXML as I would love to take edits over to CC and do a finish there. The supposed per clip Speedgrading and Ae integration would be ideal.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 3, 2013 at 5:17:40 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "I just hope they get motivated enough to accept FCPXML as I would love to take edits over to CC and do a finish there. The supposed per clip Speedgrading and Ae integration would be ideal."

Or XtoPr... I have no practical experience here, but how would Xto7 and Pr's existing XML import work? Where would that fall short?

I like the way you think. There's a lot in FCPX that is really appealing for creative editorial, and Adobe has a lot of the pieces you'd expect from a respectable finishing solution.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 3, 2013 at 5:23:13 pm

[Walter Soyka] "Or XtoPr... I have no practical experience here, but how would Xto7 and Pr's existing XML import work? Where would that fall short?"

XtoPr would be great. Does it exist?

Xto7 is really for FCP7 and that version of XML. It works to get to Pr, but it works much better to go to FCP7.

So, I could either wait for Adobe to update it's XML to be exactly like FCP7 (unlikely), or it could move on and try and accept FCPXML.

Or I could wait for Intelligent Assistance to make XtoPr.

All instances are a shot in the dark.

Return to posts index

David McGavran
on Oct 3, 2013 at 10:11:29 pm

Hi Jeremy,

Can you tell me what you mean by accepting FCPXML?? We constantly improve our FCP 7 XML import/export. It is a corner stone of many of our integration efforts. Or do you mean FCP X XML?

Thanks

Dave

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
David McGavran, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Senior Engineering Manager Adobe Premiere Pro
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 3, 2013 at 10:30:25 pm

[David McGavran] "Or do you mean FCP X XML?"

Hi, Dave.

Yes. FCPXML as the xmls from FCPX are known (the resulting files have a .fcpxml extension)

As opposed to the .XML files that FCP7 (et al) creates. (XMEML)

Jeremy

Return to posts index

David McGavran
on Oct 3, 2013 at 10:32:39 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Hi, Dave.

Yes. FCPXML as the xmls from FCPX are known (the resulting files have a .fcpxml extension)

As opposed to the .XML files that FCP7 (et al) creates. (XMEML)

Jeremy
"

Thanks for clarifying

Cheers

Dave

David McGavran, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Senior Engineering Manager Adobe Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]