FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cineform or Prores for best quality

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Elad Berger
Cineform or Prores for best quality
on Sep 30, 2013 at 7:31:34 am

We doing another 3D movie to be played in a "4D Cinema" - 3D movie on a big screen projected with Panasonic AE8000 active 3D and the people sitting on a moving platform with water and wind effects.

Although I side "I will never do it again", we are going to do it again with the GoPro Hero 2 in the 3D housing because it's the cheapest option and we hardly got any budget.
Last time we just import the mp4 into FCPX and optimised.
from what I understand, GoPro works better with cineform.

My test clip got a fast moving jet boat in the river (will be working with this kind of footage) is 302MB mp4 15.15Mbit/s when it's in ProRes 2.44GB 122.12Mbit/s and Cineform 6.65GB 333.14Mbit/s

I can't really see the difference between the ProRes and the Cineform although it's 3 time the size and the Mbit/s

Is there any different between them? is one better then other?
The simulator runs on PC and couldn't play ProRes so we had to convert to AVI last time. I'm not sure if it can play Cineform.

Any comments will be much appreciated

Thanks
Elad

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
Re: Cineform or Prores for best quality
on Sep 30, 2013 at 9:31:52 am

In all my tests over the years, Cineform is the best compressed codec I've seen - but I'm not getting your bitrate difference. Cineform "HIGH" is similar size to Pre Res HQ (but much better quality) but I usually opt for Cineform Filmscan 1 unless it's a greenscreen shot - then I'll go Filmscan 2 or higher.

I'd opt for the new GoPro HERO 3 Black Edition and convert to Cineform Filmscan 1 for post.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Sep 30, 2013 at 4:59:35 pm

Does Cineform work well in post now a days? Heard it caused all sorts of head-aches before.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Sep 30, 2013 at 5:31:00 pm

Works better than ever with Premiere CC . In the olden days of yore it required a special (expensive too) plug-in to cut in real-time in Premiere, though it was editable in Sony Vegas depending on the compression used. Now you can create .avi's or QT's to cut on Mac or PC and the QT's run fine in FCPX though not as well as Pro Res.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

Brad Bussé
on Oct 1, 2013 at 4:38:37 pm

Can the HyperDeck or Ki Pro Mini capture to Cineform?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]