FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why FCPX isn't called iMovie Pro

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Jacek
Why FCPX isn't called iMovie Pro
on Jun 25, 2011 at 4:49:11 pm

Again, I might be stating the obvious, but they couldn't actually call the product "iMovie Pro" and charge $300 for it. This is the same reason they couldn't officially EOL Final Cut Pro. I think the very philosophy was to steal the FCP name, so that they could charge $300 for a free program, and make it sound like a bargain.

I guess technically speaking, you can't steal something you already own. But still, I think they saw an opportunity to cash in on the prestige of a name they'd been building for a decade. Maybe it would be more accurate to call it a bait-and switch.

Professor, Producer, Editor
and former Apple Employee

Return to posts index

Keith Pratt
Re: Why FCPX isn't called iMovie Pro
on Jun 25, 2011 at 5:49:48 pm

What a waste of internet bandwidth.

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Jun 25, 2011 at 6:12:36 pm

[Keith Pratt] "What a waste of internet bandwidth."

You stay classy Keith.

@Chris

You're expressing a vast majority of thought here for sure.

Return to posts index

Chris Jacek
on Jun 25, 2011 at 6:17:42 pm

That's okay Keith, we don't mind letting you waste a little bandwidth with inane insults like that.

Professor, Producer, Editor
and former Apple Employee

Return to posts index

J Hussar
on Jun 25, 2011 at 7:36:56 pm

[Keith Pratt] "What a waste of internet bandwidth.
"

I won't call you what I feel like calling you after that rank insult to Chris - your last name covers it, thankfully.

Chris, makes a great point and I believe that is exactly it. Milking the name "PRO" is exactly what Apple is doing. This way the hobbyist/amateur can feel he is as good as the hollywood feature editor, and all for only 300 bucks! Apple is being very cynical in their marketing, they know no one would shell out 300 for iMovie Pro - so they think let's milk the name.

Also, I doubt the hobbyist or amateur will spend 300 bucks for this. I think they will make less money than you think. I spend on software because I can write it off as an expense. Pros have the most money which is why there are so many companies that cater to us - like AJA.

By the way, I think this going to blow up in their face like with mobileme and iMovie 08 (another Randy fiasco).

Return to posts index

Keith Pratt
on Jun 25, 2011 at 9:00:31 pm

J Hussar: "I won't call you what I feel like calling you after that rank insult to Chris - your last name covers it, thankfully."

Thanks. I can see that's the kind of level-headed guy you are.

I came here today hoping that, five days after its release, there'd be less purposeless moaning and more commentary from those who've spent some time using FCPX, on the good and bad, clarifying some of the maybe-hasty assumptions, and perhaps some informed discussion on what we could expect it to develop into over the coming months.

Too soon?

Return to posts index

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
on Jun 26, 2011 at 5:39:14 am

[Keith Pratt] "I came here today hoping that, five days after its release, there'd be less purposeless moaning and more commentary from those who've spent some time using FCPX, on the good and bad, clarifying some of the maybe-hasty assumptions, and perhaps some informed discussion on what we could expect it to develop into over the coming months."

I came here hoping to see a heartfelt apology from Randy Ubillos, and an explanation of what caused him to do what he did this week, and a specific plan and timetable for how he will correct his mistake.

Too soon?

---

http://www.peterdv.com

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jun 25, 2011 at 6:56:08 pm

[Chris Jacek] "gain, I might be stating the obvious, but they couldn't actually call the product "iMovie Pro" and charge $300 for it. This is the same reason they couldn't officially EOL Final Cut Pro. I think the very philosophy was to steal the FCP name, so that they could charge $300 for a free program, and make it sound like a bargain.

I guess technically speaking, you can't steal something you already own. But still, I think they saw an opportunity to cash in on the prestige of a name they'd been building for a decade. Maybe it would be more accurate to call it a bait-and switch."

I said this
"This is the equivalent of Guitar Hero. They should have called X 'Movie Hero'. Maybe partner up with Canon and sell the 5D and X as a package and call it Movie Hero." in the Conspiracy or Stupidity thread
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/335/5753

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

I have a system, it has stuff in it, and stuff hooked to it. I have a camera, it can record stuff. I read the manuals, and know how to use this stuff and lots of other stuff too.
You should be suitably impressed...

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]