Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: OT iMac updated, Macbook Pro soon?
on Sep 24, 2013 at 1:43:33 pm

nVidia GTX 780M with up to 4GB VRAM
PCIe drive.
This is a significant update. Much more than a speed bump.
Thunderbolt not TB2 though.
BTO system with Quad i7,, 780M, 3 TB Fusion about $2700 (3TB Flash drive adds to that considerably)
Minimum 8GB RAM because you can get better prices elsewhere.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Sep 24, 2013 at 2:16:55 pm

This is sorta interesting- as I think most people were guessing that all new Macs left to be released this year would wait on Mavericks.

We're probably 2-3 weeks away from Mavericks release. If they continue to fill out the rest of the product line (rMBP, MacMini, MacPro?) does that lend any credence to the possibility that Apple will make Mavericks a free update?

Spec bumps updates for Macs are more often than not silently updated like this- interesting to note no Retina option. And no Thunderbolt 2. So IF Apple releases a Retina Cinema Displays, those two technologies will be exclusive to the MacPro for at least a year.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 24, 2013 at 4:20:36 pm

Thanks for posting this.

I am hoping for Haswell rMBPs soon!

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Sep 24, 2013 at 4:26:22 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "I am hoping for Haswell rMBPs soon!
"

Me too, I've been holding off a new MacBook Pro purchase for a while! Let's hope they have the 4GB Nvidia option as well

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Sep 24, 2013 at 6:24:03 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "I am hoping for Haswell rMBPs soon!"

Me too!!! Very soon, please!!!

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl
vimeo.com/dlawrence/albums

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Sep 25, 2013 at 2:23:11 pm

Marcus, interesting observations and I suspect marketing is thinking the same thing--working in 4K?--buy a Mac Pro.

At least they have a very impressive GPU with more VRAM (4GB) than NVIDIA offers on their stock cards (3GB).

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Sep 26, 2013 at 2:20:27 pm

Thanks Rick. I've been arguing with a couple of people though that are bound and determined to believe this Fall's MacBookPros will come with Thunderbolt2.

While that would be nice, if the iSeries Intel chips don't support it on the iMac, I don't see how they will on the MBPs.

Return to posts index

Phillip Hollweg
on Sep 24, 2013 at 4:11:18 pm

RAM no longer accessible in the new thin-edge style ... so buy from Apple!

3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
32GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4X8GB
1TB Flash Storage
Apple USB SuperDrive
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4GB GDDR5
Magic Trackpad
Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad (English) & User's Guide
AppleCare Protection Plan for iMac - Auto-enroll
Apple Thunderbolt cable (2.0 m)
Promise Pegasus R4 4TB (4x1TB) RAID System
Accessory Kit

$5,335.00
Free Shipping

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Sep 24, 2013 at 5:10:14 pm

[Phillip Hollweg] "RAM no longer accessible in the new thin-edge style ... so buy from Apple!"

Only in the 21" model. 27" still has user-replaceable RAM, same as last year.

Return to posts index

Phillip Hollweg
on Sep 24, 2013 at 5:21:20 pm

Ha! I had no idea the sizes were different, I see the 27 inch has a little door on the back, Thanks!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 24, 2013 at 6:02:23 pm

[Phillip Hollweg] "RAM no longer accessible in the new thin-edge style ... so buy from Apple!"
http://www.apple.com/imac/specs/
Says they are here on the 27" model as they have been previously
8GB (two 4GB) of 1600MHz DDR3 memory; four user-accessible SO-DIMM slots

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 24, 2013 at 6:07:33 pm

Also this makes it clear
http://www.apple.com/imac/performance/
Or add more memory to the 27-inch model yourself by popping open the easy-to-access memory panel on the back

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Sep 24, 2013 at 5:05:24 pm

Very interesting and thanks for the post. Anyone else notice the Black Magic camera in one of the photos? Also, is that a screen shot of the new Final Cut Pro X? In the event Apple throws in the camera and FCP X (new version) for free with the new Mac Pro life would be great. I guess I would just settle for FCP X being thrown in. Call me a day dreamer but this would be one dream I want to come true.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Sep 24, 2013 at 5:12:10 pm

Looks like the existing FCPX interface to me.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 24, 2013 at 5:15:48 pm

[Marcus Moore] "Looks like the existing FCPX interface to me."

Me too. It's multicam.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 24, 2013 at 6:10:21 pm

[David Mathis] "Anyone else notice the Black Magic camera in one of the photos?"

And I hope Apple and/or Blackmagic doesn't ignore Grant Petty's NAB suggestion to support CinemaDNG directly in FCPX.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 24, 2013 at 6:15:19 pm

[Craig Seeman] "And I hope Apple and/or Blackmagic doesn't ignore Grant Petty's NAB suggestion to support CinemaDNG directly in FCPX."

That implies image sequence support -- I'd love to see that, too!

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Sep 24, 2013 at 7:17:59 pm

[Walter Soyka] "[Craig Seeman] "And I hope Apple and/or Blackmagic doesn't ignore Grant Petty's NAB suggestion to support CinemaDNG directly in FCPX."

That implies image sequence support -- I'd love to see that, too!"

Backup, I feel like I'm reading that wrong... FCPX doesn't support image sequences?

Shawn

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 24, 2013 at 7:19:08 pm

[Shawn Miller] "Backup, I feel like I'm reading that wrong... FCPX doesn't support image sequences? "

ya see where I'm going with this now? ;)

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Sep 24, 2013 at 7:49:26 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "

[Shawn Miller] "Backup, I feel like I'm reading that wrong... FCPX doesn't support image sequences? "

ya see where I'm going with this now? ;)"

Yeah, I think I do. :-) Blackmagic's emphasis on pain free metadata entry seems like a great fit for FCPX... I hope Apple sees that too.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 24, 2013 at 6:27:26 pm

Didn't Adobe dump DNG support in Pr because they weren't happy with the real time performance?

http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2012/09/cinemadng-in-after-effects-cs6-...

Is Apple going to be able to do much better?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 24, 2013 at 6:30:55 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Didn't Adobe dump DNG support in Pr because they weren't happy with the real time performance?"

It's baa-aaack...

http://blogs.adobe.com/premierepro/2013/09/adobe-premiere-pro-cc-october-20...

"Premiere Pro’s outstanding native media support has been given a major boost this release. New native file format support for Cinema DNG, Sony RAW, Phantom Cine, improved MJPG from Canon 1DC, Sony XAVC Long GOP, Panasonic AVC Ultra (Long GOP), 64 bit ProRes decoding (Mac OS X 10.8 or higher only), and support for exporting XAVC up to 4K and AVCi200 is included, and Cinema DNG can be debayered on a supported GPU for even better performance."

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 24, 2013 at 6:51:08 pm

I see. Thanks for that.

[Walter Soyka] "and Cinema DNG can be debayered on a supported GPU for even better performance.""

I just don't think it's a format that Apple would be interesting in supporting because it's not going work on a Mac Mini. Unless, of course, there's an easy way to transcode to ProRes.

I hope I'm wrong.

Weird XAVC Long Gop is supported, but no I-frame? Us F55 users will be pissed!

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Sep 24, 2013 at 9:08:13 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "I just don't think it's a format that Apple would be interesting in supporting because it's not going work on a Mac Mini. Unless, of course, there's an easy way to transcode to ProRes.

I hope I'm wrong. "

It's easier to decode than Epic footage (lower resolution, no wavelet compression), and they support that. Presumably FCP X's existing features for generating proxy/optimized ProRes media would be available.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 24, 2013 at 9:49:29 pm

[Chris Kenny] "It's easier to decode than Epic footage (lower resolution, no wavelet compression), and they support that. Presumably FCP X's existing features for generating proxy/optimized ProRes media would be available."

Sure, but that's not an image sequence, and it gives you available tools to transcode to another format right away. Decoding R3D is typically a CPU intensive.

Adobe supposedly solved DNG playback by assigning GPU debayer. Is that something Apple will do?

There's nothing setup for image sequences, currently, in FCP X.

I'd like to see it, but I'm not holding my breath.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Sep 24, 2013 at 7:11:19 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Didn't Adobe dump DNG support in Pr because they weren't happy with the real time performance?

http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2012/09/cinemadng-in-after-effects-cs6-.....

Is Apple going to be able to do much better?"

You should check the updates to Todd's blog post:

"A recent post on the Adobe Labs blog seems to have confused many people with this sentence:

“The Cinema DNG Initiative has been discontinued and is no longer hosted on Adobe Labs.”

What this is intending to communicate is simply that the experimental plug-in for CinemaDNG for Premiere Pro CS5.5 was removed from the Adobe Labs website. The CinemaDNG format continues to be an open format, and its development is not limited to Adobe. We moved the specification and other materials from the Adobe Labs area of the Adobe website to the Adobe Developer Center area of the Adobe website.

CinemaDNG files can still be opened by any current Adobe application that includes the Camera Raw plug-in for importing DNG files. This includes After Effects and Photoshop. Also, we just issued a bug-fix update for SpeedGrade that makes it work better with CinemaDNG files."

Walter beat me to the next PPro CC update announcement. To your point though, I do hope Apple jumps in with a good solid raw workflow for CinemaDNG, and not just for FCPX. It would be good to see a FCPX<-->Motion<-->XML<-->whatever capability. Even though FCPX and Motion will likely never be my tools of choice, I want to be able to exchange media and projects with them if I need to.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 24, 2013 at 7:15:08 pm

[Shawn Miller] "What this is intending to communicate is simply that the experimental plug-in for CinemaDNG for Premiere Pro CS5.5 was removed from the Adobe Labs website."

But it went on to say:

"One question that we’ve been seeing a lot–especially since the recent announcements of a couple of cameras–is why Premiere Pro doesn’t import CinemaDNG files. The answer is simply that we have not been satisfied with the performance that we have been able to achieve with CinemaDNG files in Premiere Pro, in which real-time playback is crucial."

It looks like perhaps that's been 'fixed'. I guess we will see in October.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Sep 24, 2013 at 7:27:23 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "But it went on to say:

"One question that we’ve been seeing a lot–especially since the recent announcements of a couple of cameras–is why Premiere Pro doesn’t import CinemaDNG files. The answer is simply that we have not been satisfied with the performance that we have been able to achieve with CinemaDNG files in Premiere Pro, in which real-time playback is crucial."

It looks like perhaps that's been 'fixed'. I guess we will see in October.

Jeremy"

Yes, I took that to mean that they weren't making cDNG support a priority in Premiere, not that they were dropping it altogether. I also thought that they were talking about 12 bit cDNG in particular, as the 8 bit version had been working all along... at least that was my understanding.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on Sep 25, 2013 at 8:34:01 pm

So I'm trying to advise a client (small agency) on a new iMac purchase. They will do a fair share of their own editing on it and want to know i7 or Fusion Drive. Are the new i5's up to the task? RAM is not a problem, plenty of that laying around. They have some TB drives as well so that's not a factor. Basically if you took the top line 27" and had $200 more to spend would you spend it on the i7 or the Fusion Drive. The 2GB graphics card will do fine as well I suppose.

I only have experience with i7 and Xeon so I can't really speak to the i5 performance. And even though I use SSDs now, a 7200 rpm disk was always up to the task.

Anybody?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 25, 2013 at 8:42:05 pm

[Paul Neumann] "Basically if you took the top line 27" and had $200 more to spend would you spend it on the i7 or the Fusion Drive."

I'd spend the money on the i7, as the i5 iMac doesn't support hyper-threading.

You can always buy fast Thunderbolt storage after the fact.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 25, 2013 at 9:10:52 pm

IMHO the two most important BTO options are i7 and the nVidia 780M GPU. FCPX takes advantage of both and may take more advantage of the GPU as time goes on... which means you'll be able to keep the machine in service longer before the need for another machine update.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]