FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recommendations needed! I need to run (and use) an iMac from an external drive...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charlie Austin
Recommendations needed! I need to run (and use) an iMac from an external drive...
on Sep 22, 2013 at 12:39:36 am

I need to boot my iMac off an external drive for a while while I sort out some internal drive issues.I have a Mirror of the HD on an external USB 3 drive, but it runs slower than molasses. Any suggestions as to the best external drive to run the computer at something approaching "normal" speed/responsiveness? I assume a TB drive? What say the nerds? :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Recommendations needed! I need to run (and use) an iMac from an external drive...
on Sep 22, 2013 at 1:01:16 am

[Charlie Austin] "What say the nerds?"

http://www.movieweb.com/dvd/DVfIWhhfvBTbio/im-a-nerd

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
Re: Recommendations needed! I need to run (and use) an iMac from an external drive...
on Sep 22, 2013 at 1:06:55 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "[Charlie Austin] "What say the nerds?"

http://www.movieweb.com/dvd/DVfIWhhfvBTbio/im-a-nerd"

:-) Well, if you're a nerd... help a brother out! The lacie rugged TB drive looks good, but only 5400 RPM. I need the system to run more or less the same as it does from the internal drive...

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Sep 22, 2013 at 3:43:05 am

Hey Charlie - is this the newer iMac with USB3?

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Sep 22, 2013 at 5:04:17 am

[John Davidson] "Hey Charlie - is this the newer iMac with USB3?"

Hey man... :-) Yeah it is. I have a little USB 3 toshiba drive, but it boots the machine, and runs it, like a Performa. I'm assuming it's a slow-ass notebook drive in it? I have to be able to actually work, so i guess I need something gooder...

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Sep 22, 2013 at 5:16:49 am

I've had good results with the toshiba Canvio's. I think the 3TB you can get from Best Buy for $100 if you show them the price on Amazon.

Probably would have been more useful if I had told you that before 9pm :). Blame my Merlot!

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Sep 22, 2013 at 7:30:21 am

[John Davidson] "Blame my Merlot!"

I hereby nominate "Blame the Merlot" as the official motto of this forum. Any seconds?

Oh, and drive-wise, it might be a little pricy for this, but you can reuse for good times later. I've got one of those LaCie TBolt/USB3 SSD drives. Its pretty fast, though it would only give you 256GBs for your faux system drive, but maybe that's enough.

Here's a MacRummors thread where a bunch of folk debate the same thing:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1478771

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 23, 2013 at 5:29:02 pm

What is going on with the internal drive?

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Sep 23, 2013 at 5:33:32 pm

Something very specific to me regarding a security requirement from a movie studio :-) Nothing for other iMac users to fear.... I'm using the Toshiba drive now. Not real snappy, but it's working...

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Sep 25, 2013 at 7:01:10 pm

I have the LaCie 512gb Little Big Disk with an os x boot partition on it. I use it on my retina macbook pro to test software upgrades. It works really snappy but it was pricy.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]