FORUMS: list search recent posts

X2Premiere?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Powell
X2Premiere?
on Sep 20, 2013 at 12:15:31 am

I'm in a situation where I'm doing dslr multicam that needs to be delivered in PP. I thought I could just jump into PP and figure it out, but I'm just burning time that I could've been halfway through the edit in X, 7 or Avid (if Avid's multicam didn't suck so bad for dslr). So I was thinking, cut in X, X2pro and open in Premiere. I was hoping I could run a test before buying the software, but there isn't any trial.

Has anyone done this and what was the percentage of accuracy? Anything 90% + is good enough for me. If it's a nightmare like Automatic Duck was from Avid to FCP then I won't bother.

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
Re: X2Premiere?
on Sep 20, 2013 at 2:41:02 am

If you're looking for a trial version of X here's the link

http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/trial/

Dajen Productions, Santa Barbara, CA
MacPro 3.2GHz Quad Core - AJA Kona LHe+
FCS 3 OS X 10.7.4
FCP X, Logic Pro, Squeeze, Filemaker 10.8.3

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Sep 20, 2013 at 3:00:18 am

It's pretty accurate as long as your project doesn't have much in the way of motion graphics and color grading. At the very least, cuts, dissolves, most sound work carries over just fine to PP from XtoPro.

PP imports XMLs even better than legacy FCP. But just like using Automatic Duck, basic editing transfers over 99.9%

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 20, 2013 at 3:43:59 am

If you upload a test FCPXML, I'll be happy to translate an XML using xto7 and send it back to you.

Multicam might not be preserved. I don't know how important that is to you.

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Sep 20, 2013 at 4:15:46 am

Well I bought X 2 7 and it's been all bad so far. I decided to export an xml from my most recent X project to run a test. To my pleasant surprise premiere actually modifies the original media and now the fcpx project is messed up and crashes. On top of that the xml won't even open in Premier so far. Took off to the gym to blow off frustration. Hopefully I can find a solution to both problems when I get back.

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Sep 20, 2013 at 5:01:50 am

I'm so sorry that is happening. In PP and AE under Media in Preferences is "Write XMP ID to Files on Import" make sure that is unchecked. It overwrites the metadata in FCPX and can make the media incompatible.

You can still relink the event to the original camera files. Let me know if you need help, I have several workarounds to make it work. I should have mentioned that as it's a common issue between Adobe and current gen Apple.

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Sep 20, 2013 at 6:02:55 am

It was my understanding that Xto7 did translate multicam but finalized the media. Any other preferences I need to setup to make Premiere accept it?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 20, 2013 at 1:04:09 pm

[David Powell] "It was my understanding that Xto7 did translate multicam but finalized the media. Any other preferences I need to setup to make Premiere accept it?
"

It does that for fcp7. It's my experience that XML work much better in 7 than Pr. Xto7 is really meant to go to 7 and Adobe's XML is just a bit different.

I'd try importing to fcp7, then exprting an XML from there to Pr.

As far as the XMP knocking everythig offline, this has been a problem for a while. X is more sensitive than 7 in this regard. In 7, the redner files would get kicked loose but the media would stay online. You can recoature your media in fcpx (if it came from media card) or use QTEdit to strip XMP metadata. It costs money.

Start with a very few clips for your testing.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Sep 20, 2013 at 4:09:44 pm

I did some tests recently while doing some bug hunting with Intellegant Assistance, and Xto7 works pretty well going to Pr with a couple caveats. Also, I have zero experience trying it with multi cam clips which may be where the issue crops up. The suggestion to go to 7 first is a good one, and made the import work much better. The biggest issue I came across was that if you have multichannel audio source in your xml, Pr only recognizes ch1-4. It will add all the tracks to the timeline, but, in my case, ch5-6 were just copies of ch3-4. Maybe the same with multi cam?

Also, FWIW, the XMP thing is fixed in the latest versions of adobe apps. Checked that too. :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Sep 20, 2013 at 5:06:06 pm

The multicam is the exception. I still haven't found a way to make that work going to something else without cutting and pasting each edit to be an independent clip. Compound clips are easy to break apart, but the multicams are a major pain. I hope this is something they fix in 10.1.

Return to posts index

Jacob Brown
on Sep 20, 2013 at 8:17:32 pm

Davinci Resolve, which is free, will read FCPX XML multicam clips no problem and relink to originals.

I would bet that you can go from Resolve to PP. But if not, you can definitely go back into FCPX from resolve with a flattened timeline that is easy to export

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 20, 2013 at 10:14:45 pm

[Jacob Brown] "Davinci Resolve, which is free, will read FCPX XML multicam clips no problem and relink to originals.

I would bet that you can go from Resolve to PP. But if not, you can definitely go back into FCPX from resolve with a flattened timeline that is easy to export"

yeah, but you lose audio.

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Sep 21, 2013 at 1:36:23 pm

So just for the heck of it I tried to open an Avid AAF project in premiere. Did an old school stack multi-cam (dslr is a nightmare to multicam in avid) with 3 layers of video and 7 tracks of audio.

Premiere CC wouldn't open it. Same error as the FCP file. So then I fired up PPCS6 and tried the same thing. It actually did open the AAF but for some reason the video is cropped and the sequence setting is DV and unchangeable. One of the video files in underneath the audio tracks, and the whole thing preview monitor froze after a few seconds of play at 1/2 res. Mind you there is only one stream playing at a time. I have a pretty beefy iMac. That being said the translation is horrible either way. And of course the FCP X27 xml didn't open at all.

Any idea why CS6 would at least half ass work with the AAF and CC won't at all?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 21, 2013 at 2:11:35 pm

Do you have fcp7 and have you tried it?

If you don't, is the media on an external drive? If so, quit everything, disconnect the drive, reopen Pr and try importing the XML without media.

CC interchange has progressed, but AAF has been tricky.

Be sure to file a bug report. Adobe will want to know.

Return to posts index

Jacob Brown
on Sep 21, 2013 at 9:11:11 pm

have you tried taking your audio out with one workflow and your picture out with another?

i just brought an old FCP7 project shot on RED into FCPX perfectly this way (problematic bc the fcp7 was linked to QTs not the red raw, which i needed in FCPX). exported an xml. ran through 7tox to get the audio into fcpx. ran through disolve to get the timeline relinked.

i believe you could x2pro out your audio.

use resolve to get the visual out.

then combine the two into either fcp7 or premiere. exactly the opposite of what i just did.

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Sep 22, 2013 at 8:16:23 am

After doing some research online, I think the problem is that I'm using the trial mode. Seems there is a codec issue with the trial mode that doesn't exist when you subscribe.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]