FORUMS: list search recent posts

Larry Jordan dishes some FCPX gossip at IBC

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marcus Moore
Larry Jordan dishes some FCPX gossip at IBC
on Sep 19, 2013 at 7:48:01 pm

After his FCPX presentation at IBC, Larry Jordan spoke to what he'd heard about the upcoming release.

Apple is working working on a new version of Final Cut. That should certainly come as a shock to all of us. They haven't told me anything about it... and they haven't forced me to sign any non disclosures. So what you're about to hear is pure speculation founded solely on rumour and innuendo; which is where all of us live anyway...

So I thought I'd share something with you. Just that it will not be a minor upgrade. It's gonna be some heavy, heavy features associated with it.

It will not be this month (September). And what I would do is I would watch for the release date of the MacPro. And when the MacPro ships, which I have serious lust after... When the MacPro ships I think within the same day (24hrs), we'll have a new version of Final Cut.

My guess is that it will be in October... but you never know. It will be this year, but it won't be this month.

But it's gonna be cool.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Larry Jordan dishes some FCPX gossip at IBC
on Sep 19, 2013 at 8:07:11 pm

So now we know what we don't know even though we don't know it.

...but will the heavy features increase the weight of the new MacPro?

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Sep 19, 2013 at 8:15:00 pm

I talked to quite a few devs at IBC who found what Apple was doing with the MacPro interesting. Having dual GPU as baseline and for many operations the go-to route for speed could bring some great benefits along the way.

AJA seemed like they knew more than they could say about FCPX / MacPro Tube-combo, showing a sneak peak of there TB2 4K I/O. The next few months could get "very interesting". Telestream hinted similar things, given their desktop products haven't seen that much love lately. Sonnet was officially supporting TB2 as soon as the MacPro is release claiming it gives around 80% better performance in reality compared to TB1 (1200-1300 Mb/s storeage).

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 19, 2013 at 9:04:48 pm

[Erik Lindahl] "Telestream hinted similar things, given their desktop products haven't seen that much love lately."

On the Telestream front so far there's this from AJA
http://www.aja.com/en/articles/41/
and this from Telestream on Wirecast 5
http://www.telestream.net/company/press/2013-09-12.htm

And an interesting bit about the AJA announcement is mentioning that there's an SDK for Wirecast now.

Although none of this is directly related to the MacPro or FCPX.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Sep 19, 2013 at 11:41:18 pm

Very likely.

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Sep 19, 2013 at 8:09:19 pm

Larry also hinted at a large production being edited on FCPX. 100-million dollar large production.

I also found it interesting he spent an hour or so talking about FCP7 and X and very interesting tools surrounding X. These indeed where some cool tools. He however never touched FCPX's major short-coming for many and that is actually editing in the application... :)

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 19, 2013 at 10:38:45 pm

[Erik Lindahl] "He however never touched FCPX's major short-coming for many and that is actually editing in the application... :)"

Explain please.

Having edited more than 50 projects thus far, I'm interested in your opinion as to where X's "major shortcomings" are regarding "actually editing in the application."

What type of editing do "many editors" do that X fails to address?

I'm not at all saying that X (or ANY other NLE for that matter) does not have specific shortcomings. Just interested in which specifically you are facing that causes you to espouse this as if it should be common knowledge at this stage.

Thanks.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

alban egger
on Sep 21, 2013 at 7:08:08 pm

[Erik Lindahl] "He however never touched FCPX's major short-coming for many and that is actually editing in the application... :)"

Uhm.....he also didn´t mention the shortcomings of AVID and Premiere and Smoke. None of them are perfect. But FCPX at least has some upside to it.

And I wonder what "shortcomings" you mean that ALL the others don´t have? I guess we FCPX users can count just as many missing features on the others. In fact Larry Jordan listed a few tools that make a difference. But IMO it might be possible to create the same for other NLEs that have XML workflows....

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Sep 22, 2013 at 12:40:51 pm

Sorry for the late reply, been swamped with work. The presentation was about if FCPX is ready for prime-time as an professional editor / tool which for me tends to include editing. One could compare it to other apps or simply focus on what makes this app good or unique. Larry focused on some neat tools which is great. It's however interesting that the whole speech was about tools outside of FCPX. The guy next to me at the show actually said what I was thinking "cool tools, but can you actually edit in FCPX?".

I think FCPX has it's share of brilliance but I also think it's biggest shortcoming is traditional editing. It could be a learning / getting used to "thing" but I find every time I do an edit in the app I feel lack of control and lack of material oversight. And I tend to do short form editing. I've mentioned it before but things like proper time code support, sequence handling, viewer / canvas handling, HUD information, lack of of mini-timelines and GUI customization - the list goes on are things not there yet or at all.

Not ment to be a "bash the new kid in the block" comment. Just found it very amusing.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Sep 22, 2013 at 3:09:28 pm

I also found it a bit odd that Larry's presentation was so heavily weighed on 3rd party tools. The tools he showed were great, and definitely DO mean that FCPX it a better fit for certain workflows now than it was before.

To your other points Erik, I think Larry could have gone a long way by including some cutting in a complex sequence, showing how the connected clip and magnetic timeline structure can be a big time saver- cause regardless of what "heavy features" this next big update brings, I definitely don't want to those two things to go away. But extra depth in info and some better GUI customization will be absolutely welcome.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 22, 2013 at 7:55:56 pm

[Marcus Moore] "I also found it a bit odd that Larry's presentation was so heavily weighed on 3rd party tools. The tools he showed were great, and definitely DO mean that FCPX it a better fit for certain workflows now than it was before."

Fcpx demos can be found for free, in spades, almost anywhere.

The people who like where fcpx is going, already get all of the methodology.

When X first came out, it was slammed for not playing nice with anything else and everyone was right. Larry's demo shows that isn't quite true anymore. He is saying that X, if you choose to use it, can interface with the rest of the world.

The process, of course, is quite different from what fcp legend offered, and is also different from other NLEs.

This demo does a good job of showing that FCPXML has matured.

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Sep 19, 2013 at 9:24:37 pm

I'm sure it will be "awesome."

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 19, 2013 at 10:39:09 pm

FINAL CUT AWESOME!!111!!!!!!1

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 19, 2013 at 10:47:40 pm

I'm personally betting on the iScowl Direct Facial AI Interface tied into iSight.

If you have an X project open - and furrow your brow within a specified elapsed time after an editing action - it automatically invokes UNDO and consults a database with historical "brow furrow depth data" to select from a table of alternate possibilities to try another editing option until it detects an iSmile.

; )

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 19, 2013 at 10:43:56 pm

[Marcus Moore] "Apple is working working on a new version of Final Cut. That should certainly come as a shock to all of us. "

This is a really confusing couple of sentences.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 19, 2013 at 10:50:19 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "[Marcus Moore] "Apple is working working on a new version of Final Cut. That should certainly come as a shock to all of us. "

This is a really confusing couple of sentences."

Could it be.... irony?

After all, pre-announcing it at the WWDC was a kinda 90 degree turn for Apple.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 19, 2013 at 11:01:57 pm

[Bill Davis] "Could it be.... irony?"

my paraphrase:

Apple is working working on a new version of Final Cut. It's a shocker.

Either they are working double time, or I am missing the irony. What is the source of this quote, Marcus?

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Sep 19, 2013 at 11:29:20 pm

I transcribed it myself from the video of his IBC presentation.

Yes, the double "working" is a typo- and for some reason I can no longer edit the post.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 19, 2013 at 11:35:21 pm

Ah, I don't even see those kind of double words posts too often. My brain just skips over it.

Or maybe it's supposed to be sung? Maybe like the Michael Jackson tune?

"...Got me workin, workin' day and night!"

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Sep 19, 2013 at 11:40:23 pm

But the double "heavy" IS correct.

Apparently the new features are VERY heavy. I may not be able to lift FCPX after it's released.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Sep 19, 2013 at 11:59:13 pm

It's obviously unclear from the transcript, but there is a fair amount of sarcasm in that second sentence as delivered by Larry.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 20, 2013 at 12:24:17 am

I didn't realize it was spoken. I thought it was a written post or something. Apologies.

Just for the record, my screaming of final cut awesome with 1's and exclamation marks was fairly
sarcastic, too.

Return to posts index

Keith Koby
on Sep 20, 2013 at 12:51:03 pm

whoa, whoa, whoa, stop the clock. You can't break out ones mixed in with the exclamations and then claim sarcasm after the fact.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 20, 2013 at 12:59:36 pm

WHAT ?!?!?11/

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 21, 2013 at 4:16:55 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "AT ?!?!?11/
"

They're right Jeremy.

It's gramathematically incorrect to use three "?" symbols and two "1" symbols in a virtualized cursebomb without including at least a couple of "conjunctivizing" asterisks and percent signs.

Follow the rules, you silly &*()@#$%

; )

BTW, Yes I do realize that "Virtualized Cursebomb" would be a solid punk rock band name. So many ideas, so little time...

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Sep 20, 2013 at 5:28:36 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reduplication

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 20, 2013 at 7:51:25 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onomatopoeia

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>