FORUMS: list search recent posts

I guess I'm not PRO, and where's my Jet Pack.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alexander Higgins
I guess I'm not PRO, and where's my Jet Pack.
on Apr 18, 2011 at 5:41:57 pm

So the New Final Cut Pro is not PHENOMENOM like everyone had hoped, yes it is more like iMOVIE PRO, so in a way Apple is telling us how to be PRO. I guess I am not PRO anymore, since Apple says Pro's don't need DI level Color, Compositing or ROTO or Paint tools, DVD's or BLU-RAYS, Tape Layoff, like DIGI-BETA or HDCAM masters, and a QUICKTIME without GAMMA SHIFTS. Having the name Final Cut Pro in the title assumes that its for a certain PRO demographic, be it a very small demographic, it seems apple is telling me I'm not PRO. Maybe they are right..

DVD's
First off I would undoubtedly say that I build and Burn DVD's, almost 3 times a week. I build and burn BLU-RAY more and more every month. So Apple says BLU-RAYS are dead, ok, Apple will you please tell my Clients that, because they keep asking for them. I can't argue with APPLE or its fan boys but in my "PRO" world DVD and BLU-RAY are NOT DEAD. I build BLU-RAY with either ENCORE or the crappy COMPRESSOR builder of the TOAST BUILDER. So APPLE thanks for killing DVD Studio Pro, I would never in a million years ever need to build or burn a DVD, never ever ever never.

COMPOSITING
SHAKE was the worlds greatest digital compositor at one time, now its NUKE, but at one SHAKE was the best. We where able to fit SHAKE into our pipeline and it was great, now we all have to just to NUKE from SHAKE, at the end SHAKE was $499, and NUKE is 4k to 7k. So now we had to shell out $3500 to do the same thing as before. Thanks Apple!! Then Apple had a great opportunity to integrate PAINT, ROTO from SHAKE to Final Cut Pro, thats all we needed, but they didn't do that. So thanks again Apple.

COLOR
So Final Touch was great for what it did, if you got a tangent panel and a kona3 and a good monitor you could do decent color. There was a great future there, but Apple did the same thing to COLOR as it did to SHAKE. So Apple again had a great opportunity to integrate COLOR/DI tools into Final Cut Studio.. The ColorBoard does not look like it has the capabilities of COLOR.

Tape Layoff?? No one knows the answer to this, but if Apple is arrogant enough to tell me my clients do need Blu-Ray or DVD, then I'm not surprised if they tell me I don't need to master to Tape Ever.
Also Quicktime is not being re-written as 64bit so why is Final Cut Pro 64bit and Quicktime is still in the dark ages?

Aside from all the new editing features of the new Final Cut, that is keeping all the FAN BOYS happy, Apple's innovations of trying to be one step ahead have finally become a middle finger in the face of its users. Apple is probably right, in 10 years there will be no Tapes, or DVD's or Blu-Rays or whatever, but I think they are jumping the gun and the users have to deal with this backlash since we don't get any future for our legacy apps.

When I was 10 they used to say we would all be living on the moon and have jet packs. HEY APPLE, WHERE'S MY JET PACK!

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
Re: I guess I'm not PRO, and where's my Jet Pack.
on Apr 18, 2011 at 7:38:16 pm

I'll eat my cocky little hat if I'm wrong on all this but:

DVD's : keep using encore, its better than DVD studio pro anyway

SHAKE: yep, thats a total pisser. there is a corpse there to steal organs from - probably too late now tho. so yes - wanker's there.

COLOUR: it's not gone - Apple basically said they just haven't released the other software yet - I'm willing to bet colour is there. As is Motion.

TAPE LAYOFF: its there there's even an icon for it. You can still master to tape, you can still control a tape deck via rs 422.

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 18, 2011 at 8:59:37 pm

If I had a dollar for every guy that has posted sturm and drang and "woe is us this is only imovie, re-skinned" and will have to eat his words after June, I will have one heck of a summer vacation this year.

Return to posts index

Dennis Lisonbee
on Apr 19, 2011 at 5:05:10 am

The one cool thing about all these pickle suckers who would rather blog'n whine than cut, is after FCP X comes out this blog will turn into a useful place.

Well who can blame them? Isn't whining something editors do when they don't have deadlines to meet?

As for me, I've cut on everything from a Movieola, to a flat bed; from Quad tape and a razorblade to Betacam and CMX. And I believe what Apple is doing could very well simplify the whole workflow in a wonderfully revolutionary way.

And yes, Apple snuck out a new editing interface called iMovie as a little test of simplifying workflow. So what? The trolls are making it out to be world war III and it is nothing more than a test of an atomic reaction.

I can understand the problem here. I've never paid any attention to iMovie. Till now. I was so bored Saturday that I pulled out my iPhone 4, shot some spring flowers and downloaded all the footage of my grandchildren I've taken over the past 11 months onto iPhoto, downloaded iMovie and decided to see what I could do. Within a half hour or so all the families had full resolution movies with music and sound effects downloaded their computers. It was certainly heck of a lot more fun trying something new than doing it the boring old way on Avid, Premier or FCP. Kind of like the first time I used a faltbed.

I wanted some more fun so I cut a music video of my 60's rock band from the stuff I shot on stage with my iPhone and sent the full resolution version out to the group. Unfortunately two of the guys are on memory leaking windoze machines. I simply did a couple of mouse clicks in iMovie and sent them a higher compressed, lower resolution version for their machines with DOS DNA. Regardless of resolution, everyone was blown away. They had no idea what I was doing pointing my phone at them the last four gigs.

After the music video I was bored again and decided to mow my half acre of lawn. Emptying the last bag of clippings I remembered the 5D test footage I shot of my property with a steadycam over a year ago. What would iMovie do with H.264? After a cold drink I slapped that H.264 into iMovie. Using 32 bits and way too little memory iMovie converted it to something more useful than H.264. I cut it, did a little color grading, added some sound effects and music and sent it full resolution to someone who wanted to be reminded that the Rocky Mountains turn green and lush in the summer.

So after trying out an editor that some seem fully convinced is the new Final Cut Pro X, I'm looking forward to June when I'll plop down $299, pull out the Red and shoot a story, then fire up the 12 cores and see if the bloggin' nay sayers are right about FCP X being nothing more than iMovie with a couple more lines of steroid code.

And if you think I'm just some ridiculous old man who wants a fight, let's get a pile of footage. I'll simply take iMovie and you take AVID, Premier Pro or whatever you want. In short time we will see if it's the software that makes the editor.

Sorry for hogging the bandwidth because it is all meaningless anyway. You know the story... arguing about software we have never seen or used makes as much sense as giving a girlfriend or wife a year long pass to Weight Watchers.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 19, 2011 at 1:49:23 pm

[Dennis Lisonbee] "I wanted some more fun so I cut a music video of my 60's rock band from the stuff I shot on stage with my iPhone and sent the full resolution version out to the group"

You had an iPhone in the 60s? Cosmic. ;)

Return to posts index

Dennis Lisonbee
on Apr 19, 2011 at 2:37:33 pm

We sure did have iPhones in the 60's. It was made by AT&T right in the US of A. There was a problem with reception so in stead of a bumper AT&T gave you this long antennae that you plugged in the wall and it worked fine. The audio workflow was typical. You recorded the audio with a little suction cup onto a Nagra, then transcoded it mag stripe via a resolve plug-in. And no 2 gig limit! As much bandwidth as you wanted. AT&T had problems with the video portion. We wanted a Pro application and all they had was an expensive black and white, interlaced low rez picture so Kodak introduced a super 8 film unit but we wanted more resolution and color depth. It created a firestorm because a bunch of tech geeks thought the new negative 35mm film stock was simply super 8 on steroids. I liked the 35mm prosumer technology because I could edit it on the prosumer moviola technology.

Workflow was slow. The picture had to be transcoded to workprint overnight in a dark lab, put in sync with the mag stripe, then edge coded. And the interface? The tech geek critics said too many lever clicks and tape tears. So it never caught on with wannabes who thought AT&T, Kodak and movieola was pulling something over on them. They stayed with holding the picture up to the light bulb, cutting it with scissors, taping it and running it on a projector. And the geeks finally gave up because no one would hire them but people wanting cheap wedding films.

The band is happy I'm an early adopter of technology. They don't have to help me lift a B3 and Leslie on stage cause of digital sampling perfected by the Japanese and the 35mm blimped camera has been replaced by the AT&T high rez picture and sound device designed by Apple and made by the Chinese. And there is no long antenna, just a rubber bumper that fits tight around the phone.

Of course it is all going to change next week when I take the RED onstage with me. I'm getting complaints that 1980 resolution is bush league; you can't be professional unless you are shooting on RAW 4K and editing it on AVID or Premiere.

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Apr 19, 2011 at 2:06:20 pm

[Dennis Lisonbee] "And if you think I'm just some ridiculous old man who wants a fight, let's get a pile of footage. I'll simply take iMovie and you take AVID, Premier Pro or whatever you want. In short time we will see if it's the software that makes the editor. "

Yup.

Truth is, video editing in pro apps like Media Composer and FCP presently involves quite a lot of tedious, noncreative nonsense. Eliminating some of this does make software more accessible to consumers... but it also makes it more useful to professionals. It's kind of silly how much handwringing there has been over the former issue, when the latter is clearly all that actually matters.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read What is FCP X’s relationship to iMovie? on our blog.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]