FORUMS: list search recent posts

This is, oddly, relevant... :-)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charlie Austin
This is, oddly, relevant... :-)
on Sep 17, 2013 at 6:05:45 am

http://jethead.wordpress.com/2013/08/30/a-certain-darkness-on-the-flight-de...

Yes, it's a flight blog... Anyhoo, here's a little snippet...

First, there seems to be an inborn reluctance to consign more and more vertical and lateral (read: climbs, descents, and navigation) maneuvering to flight management systems. Part of that, I believe, comes not only from a reluctance to acquiesce to the reality that in most cases, the automation can do a better job than the humans, but in a real sense, from a backlash against the encroaching automation subsuming what used to be mostly art.

In any case... great blog for those who fly or, like me, ride in the back... :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: This is, oddly, relevant... :-)
on Sep 17, 2013 at 7:51:56 am

Reminds me of reading how literally EVERY Formula 1 car now has an automatic transmission.

The onboard computers can calculate the optimum shift point more precisely than any human driver.

The driver still has to race the car.

But tasks that are better suited to automation are done that way - at least if a racing team wants to be competitive.

And so it goes.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Sep 17, 2013 at 8:46:18 am

I think F1 cars use semi-automatic transmissions. The driver controls the shifting via paddles behind the steering wheel though there is no clutch so a computer makes the physical shift.

To your point though, with ever advancing technology (AI, processing power, wide arrays of sensors, etc.,) there are certainly many things that can be broken down into mathematical calculations and those will always eventually be done better and faster by machine than man.

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Sep 17, 2013 at 1:40:30 pm

".... I'm sorry, Dave, but I really can't make a cut there. It should be a dissolve."

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Sep 17, 2013 at 4:26:59 pm

[Bob Woodhead] "".... I'm sorry, Dave, but I really can't make a cut there. It should be a dissolve.""

For some reason FCP X reminds me of HAL, just saying :-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]