FORUMS: list search recent posts

"1 afternoon FCPX equals one week AVID Unity"

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
alban egger
"1 afternoon FCPX equals one week AVID Unity"
on Sep 11, 2013 at 1:15:04 pm

Good article by Sam Mestman about a recent production-setup of his:
http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/news/1225-fcp-x-in-bulgaria-a-new-definitio...

Return to posts index

Michael Garber
Re: "1 afternoon FCPX equals one week AVID Unity"
on Sep 11, 2013 at 5:19:30 pm

I completely agree with him about Sync-N-Link X. Because you have the option to merge the audio metadata onto the video clips, I am able to import, sync, rename, and multiclip a day's worth of dailies in 10 minutes. Since there was no need to sync audio based on waveform, the multiclips were created by FCP X instantly.

I think, because of programs like SnLX and the deep metadata integration in FCPX, that on-set metadata creation will become a very, very important part of pre-pro-post workflow.

Good on Sam for getting word out there.

Michael Garber
5th Wall - a post production company
Blog: GARBERSHOP
My Moviola Webinar on Cutting News in FCP X

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 11, 2013 at 5:33:41 pm

He makes a compelling case.
I'd love for him to do an in depth follow up when they've finished post.
I'm curious about his comparisons to Avid given he's building FCPX systems viable for the feature film market. He seems to put the most stress on learning curve for those new to that part of the industry.

Return to posts index

alban egger
on Sep 11, 2013 at 6:00:47 pm

[Craig Seeman] "He seems to put the most stress on learning curve for those new to that part of the industry."

Yeah, and that will probably scare many people here. The industry is changing very fast and the "new kids on the block" don´t care and don´t want to care about what workflow worked 6 years ago. And these "kids" are not only on our set, but actually the bosses in the agency/studio etc.

I have been to several meetings now where the person deciding on the budget was the youngest in the room. This is accelerating our use of new and better technology.

I am happy I jumped into FCPX early and in full....

Return to posts index

tony west
on Sep 11, 2013 at 6:11:49 pm

[alban egger] "I am happy I jumped into FCPX early and in full....
"

I'm also glad.

A very interesting article

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 11, 2013 at 6:44:07 pm

[alban egger] "Yeah, and that will probably scare many people here."
I can just imagine an age based study of the naysayers. My gut tells me it's the veterans who are most rigidly locked in to "never will happen."

[alban egger] "The industry is changing very fast and the "new kids on the block" don´t care and don´t want to care about what workflow worked 6 years ago."
[alban egger] "I have been to several meetings now where the person deciding on the budget was the youngest in the room. "

It's why I say FCPX will win by attrition. People keep bringing up facilities that won't move to. I believe it's the NEW facilities that will grab onto it in a big way. Their measure of cost effective is very different than old facilities as they're looking at forward motion in technology not legacy compatibility. Having a workflow where they can hire young'uns that can get up to speed quickly may make a lot more sense than hire "experienced" people locked to older workflows.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Sep 11, 2013 at 7:38:40 pm

[Craig Seeman] "It's why I say FCPX will win by attrition. People keep bringing up facilities that won't move to. I believe it's the NEW facilities that will grab onto it in a big way. Their measure of cost effective is very different than old facilities as they're looking at forward motion in technology not legacy compatibility. Having a workflow where they can hire young'uns that can get up to speed quickly may make a lot more sense than hire "experienced" people locked to older workflows.
"

Wasn't this FCP Legend's trajectory before Apple hit the reset button? And eventually forward motion in tech evolves into legacy compatibility unless you are the type that completely reinvents your workflow every 12-24 months. It's like a mom & pop shop that eventually expands into a nationwide chain. Their needs will change fundamentally over time and that's not inherently good nor bad it's just the reality of the situation.

I'm sure many of the people that don't care for FCPX today were people that 10yrs ago loved FCP 3(?) as a low cost (if flawed) alternative to Avid MC. In the mid-90's I'm sure they were people that loved Avid as an alternative to the linear suites that dominated in that day. I honestly don't see X 'winning' because I think (I hope) that the environment will stay dynamic with multiple companies offering competitive products.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 11, 2013 at 7:55:28 pm

Interesting argument. I don't buy the Avid Unity argument at all. Completely different workflows.

I am also working on a feature using more or less the same tools, though at a fraction of the budget and involvement. I have less glowing reports about Sync-N-Link X than he does. The app works fine, but production doesn't, so in actual fact, nothing is as automatic as implied. No fault of SnLX at all.

The argument that X will win out in the end totally discounts Adobe. They have a real solid story to tell that is only getting better. As far as shared storage, the same things that benefit X also benefit Premiere Pro.

A lot of his argument is based on native handling of RED files within X. Yes, that works, but it caused the production I'm on a lot of grief and so was abandoned on day 1 in favor of a standard offline/online workflow. The culprit most likely is compatibility issues with the RED Rocket card and X.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 11, 2013 at 8:13:35 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "Wasn't this FCP Legend's trajectory before Apple hit the reset button?"

Apple, maybe Randy Ubillos himself, said they have a 10 year plan for FCPX. So in another 8 years Apple may well hit the reset button again. That's certainly a different outlook from Avid who seems to pile on features to the same app they had throughout the '90s. Adobe hit the reset too from the original Premiere to PremierePro. I don't think they've hinted at a reset strategy or whether CC would act as such motivator.

Apple sells hardware though and I suspect at some point they'll find it easiest to reset again rather than build on old code. I don't know of any other company willing to do that (they may certainly exist of course). They can do that because they're so diversified that at any given point they can make a major change in a product while the rest of their products remain on solid ground.

[Andrew Kimery] "I honestly don't see X 'winning' because I think (I hope) that the environment will stay dynamic with multiple companies offering competitive products."

Apple seems to be build on a business model of dynamism more so than most other companies offering software post tools.

On the production side dynamism has been led by upstarts whether it's new companies like RED or companies like Blackmagic expanding in new directions with their entry into the camera market.

I do think the industry (software and hardware) tends towards conservatism and Avid is actually a good example.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 11, 2013 at 8:49:14 pm

Interesting that the article really only goes into organizing the footage, getting it ready for an edit. I do think that area is FCX's strong suit...metadata and organization and prep. But then what? They guy hops on a plane and says "bye guys!" before editing started.

So this article just plays on the organization, but not the actual cutting process, or final delivery. How does that all work out?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Sep 11, 2013 at 9:36:50 pm

[Shane Ross] "Interesting that the article really only goes into organizing the footage, getting it ready for an edit. I do think that area is FCX's strong suit...metadata and organization and prep. But then what? They guy hops on a plane and says "bye guys!" before editing started.

So this article just plays on the organization, but not the actual cutting process, or final delivery. How does that all work out?
"

this!

Sure, we all know X handles the upfront and orginization of editing rather well and uniquely. But what good is all that timesaving on the upfront if everything comes to a crawl in the actual edit. After now spending what i would consider an ample amount of time in X's timeline, i can say with extreme confidence the other NLE's edit better.

Neil Goodman: Editor of New Media Production - The Esquire Network - NBC/Uni

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Sep 12, 2013 at 12:54:34 am

[Neil Goodman] "But what good is all that timesaving on the upfront if everything comes to a crawl in the actual edit. After now spending what i would consider an ample amount of time in X's timeline, i can say with extreme confidence the other NLE's edit better for my style of cutting"

Fixed it for ya. ;-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 12, 2013 at 2:02:32 am

[Charlie Austin] "confidence the other NLE's edit better for my style of cutting"

Fixed it for ya. ;-)"

giggle.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Sep 11, 2013 at 9:01:39 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Apple, maybe Randy Ubillos himself, said they have a 10 year plan for FCPX. So in another 8 years Apple may well hit the reset button again. "

Which is certainly something many people are worried about. By the time FCPX and its workflows become reliable, stable and mature Apple might blow it up again. If that happens I'm sure we'll see many people that loved, and were empowered by, X bemoaning Apple's move just like many people that loved, and were empowered by, Legend bemoaned Apple's move to X.

There is something to be said about well known, reliable, predictable workflows (and it has nothing to be with being stuck in the past).

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 11, 2013 at 9:16:52 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "There is something to be said about well known, reliable, predictable workflows (and it has nothing to be with being stuck in the past)."

I remember hearing that from an Apple IIe user some years after the Mac was introduced.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Sep 11, 2013 at 9:47:41 pm

[Craig Seeman] "I remember hearing that from an Apple IIe user some years after the Mac was introduced."

Round steering wheels in automobiles, QWERTY key layouts, red/yellow/green traffic signals... lots of oldies but goodies still hanging around in our everyday lives. Hell, some of us still read analog ink applied to paper. ;)

Unless someone specializes in workflow development I see no point in experimenting on the bloody edge of cutting technology at all times. I say you find what works and stick with it until it doesn't work anymore then move on to something else that does work. Of course much of my experience includes working with multiple editors, multiple assistants, teams in the field, producers, out of house finishing, etc., where there are dozens of people that have to stay on the same page and workflow changes have to account for ripple effects down the line. Finding a solid workflow is key to keeping the machine running smoothly so changes are thoroughly researched and methodically implemented.

While at MTV I helped develop cradle to grave tapeless workflows that became models for other parts of Viacom so I'm certainly not afraid to be a pathfinder but I also quickly learned that the larger (and more technically varied) the team the less fleet of foot you can be when it comes to rolling out systematic changes.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Sep 11, 2013 at 10:52:49 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "Hell, some of us still read analog ink applied to paper. ;)"

That sounds cool; is that some sort of fandom thing.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Sep 11, 2013 at 11:47:45 pm

[Chris Harlan] "That sounds cool; is that some sort of fandom thing."

It's an old habit I picked up from my parents. I'm trying to kick it but there is something nice about not having to plug in a book. lol

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Sep 12, 2013 at 4:05:08 am

FYI. Sam really knows his stuff regarding RED workflow with FCPX, not just in theory but with many projects under his belt in FCPX. He shares some of his experience here at a lafcpug this summer:

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]