FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fascinating short from Toronto Film Fest - and what is a narrative film these days?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Davis
Fascinating short from Toronto Film Fest - and what is a narrative film these days?
on Sep 10, 2013 at 4:36:55 pm

Crossed my screen this AM.
(NSFW in parts)
But kinda riveting and the comments indicate that the extremely modern pace and structure are very appealing to its intended audience.

Is "internet conditioning" changing what audiences will now accept as narrative flow?

FWIW.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
Re: Fascinating short from Toronto Film Fest - and what is a narrative film these days?
on Sep 10, 2013 at 7:56:39 pm

[Bill Davis] "Is "internet conditioning" changing what audiences will now accept as narrative flow?"

I'm an old fart and I liked the narrative flow, thought it was very well done, not sure what internet conditioning has to do with it. Anyone who's raised a kid in the past few years can relate. Amy was history from the moment she made the crack about asian roommates.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Fascinating short from Toronto Film Fest - and what is a narrative film these days?
on Sep 10, 2013 at 8:33:59 pm

[Herb Sevush] "not sure what internet conditioning has to do with it."

I think to keep with the narrative flow, you've got to be pretty grounded in internet concepts.

To follow the narrative, you've got to intuitively understand: that's email, that's a chat window, he's texting now, that's her facebook page, that's a chatroultte video window - unless you get that kind of contexural stuff, I'm not sure you can follow the threads of the story as well.

For example, when he hijacks her Facebook page and is about to post the "huh?" - you've got to KNOW that the next click is much riskier than all the ones before it. The editing can't build tension like it does if tha'ts not evident to the viewer. And the only way you know that is if you understand the context of what's happening in the various windows.

That's what I meant by "inteernet conditioning" anyway.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Sep 10, 2013 at 8:41:53 pm

[Bill Davis] "For example, when he hijacks her Facebook page and is about to post the "huh?" - you've got to KNOW that the next click is much riskier than all the ones before it. The editing can't build tension like it does if tha'ts not evident to the viewer. And the only way you know that is if you understand the context of what's happening in the various windows."

OK, agreed, like any film you have to have some idea of the context. But less than you might think. I've only heard about chat roulette and I don't facebook, but even without that specific knowledge the filmmaker clued me in that the "huh?" was a big deal, even though I'm not sure why. Audiences always need less information than we think - it's why night scenes always work so well, the less we see the more we can imagine.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Mike Parfit
on Sep 10, 2013 at 10:00:55 pm

[Herb Sevush] "Audiences always need less information than we think - it's why night scenes always work so well, the less we see the more we can imagine."

yes, yes, yes, yes. Sophisticated filmmakers and advertisers know this, but people who think audiences are stupid and have to be clobbered don't. Then they wonder when audiences turn and run.

I mean, you do have to know which clues to give them or you can be obscure rather than evocative, and I guess that's the art. Where do you put the motion in the frame, etc. Or in the frame before.

Cheers,

Mike

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Sep 11, 2013 at 12:02:09 pm

Very well done, and I really liked it as well. And having three boys, two in college, none of these concepts were really foreign to me. There might have been one or two spots where I might have added a bit more pause before the click as that was how we got to understand his state of mind - that balance between just being mad versus vindictive. I felt the overall pace was indicative of how fast relationships come and go now. And to think my grandparents sent letters to each other and the time that took. Great idea for a short.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]