FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adobe Announces updates to CC Video applications

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marcus Moore
Adobe Announces updates to CC Video applications
on Sep 9, 2013 at 5:27:04 am

Good, solid updates- previewed before being demoed at IBC and released in October'ish.

Larry Joran and Philip Hodgetts take-

http://www.larryjordan.biz/app_bin/wordpress/archives/2406

http://www.philiphodgetts.com/2013/09/adobe-updates-creative-cloud/

I don't expect anything from Apple in time for IBC- they're on their own schedule tied in with Mavericks and the new MacPro. But in the end I think both this CC update and FCPX 10.1 will probably end up being released around the same time.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Adobe Announces updates to CC Video applications
on Sep 9, 2013 at 8:24:55 am

Unless I'm reading this incorrectly, to get the benefits, you need somebody who's willing to buy and run an Adobe Anywhere hub - which a quick search that turned up a single vendor indicates that the base cost is $12,500.00 for 1 to 10 users.

Be great for larger shops or TV network users, I guess, but it's not in my future unless I need to do sub con work for a shop that wants to host it. And I can't really see the modern downsized ad agency or small shops opting to put 12 grand into a collaborative hub - rather than into equipment that can actually help you make more content to sell.

Last week I did a bunch of radio spots for a moderately big name multi-hospital chain on the west coast. Once upon a time, they would have had a medium sized ad agency produce this kind of thing. Today, they use ad hoc creative teams - and I seriously doubt that the producer involved would pony up for something like this just to facilitate remote work with creatives.

But maybe I'm wrong.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 9, 2013 at 9:04:06 am

[Bill Davis] "Unless I'm reading this incorrectly, to get the benefits, you need somebody who's willing to buy and run an Adobe Anywhere hub"
Seven application are updated, not only "Adobe Anywhere".
rafael

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Sep 9, 2013 at 9:50:42 am

[Bill Davis] "But maybe I'm wrong."

Maybe there is no absolute wrong or right because post/production needs and budgets vary so much?

If spending $12,500 (or whatever the cost is) means more projects can be worked on concurrently which means more content to sell in the same amount of time then maybe it makes sense.

I've worked mainly in multi-user environments (sometimes w/centralized shared storage and sometimes using local storage and 'sneaker netting' media around) and I can't wait for things like Avid's ISIS Interplay Sphere and Adobe Anywhere to 'trickle down' to a broad set of users. I worked in house at MTV for a while and joked a number of times w/the IT guys about running fiber from the office to my bedroom. I look forward to the day when editors can telecommute as easily as copy writers or accountants.

Fast Shared storage used to be prohibitively expensive but as off-the-shelf compoents have gone down in price and up in performance companies like Small Tree, Editshare and ProMax are offering solutions that even 'mom & pop' shops can afford and I hope cloud-based editing collaboration follows the same course.

There is one small production company in LA that I've tried working with a few times (we can never get our schedules to mesh) where the office has a couple of assists and a couple of online editors but all the offline takes place offsite. The assistants prep drives with media, GFX, music, etc., then the editors pick the drives up, edit at home (on Avid) and email project files back to the office which then get relinked to the local media there. 8-12 editors are working at once but the production company does not have to pay for the overhead to support 8-12 editors working under the same roof. Something like Adobe Anywhere would be right up their ally.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 9, 2013 at 12:00:16 pm

These updates don't involve or require Anywhere. Just part of the equation. The biggest wow for me is the direct link between SpeedGrade and Premiere Pro WITHOUT rendering. In other words, what the FCP7/Color roundtrip could have been but never was. I'm jazzed about this because it directly meets current needs and requests from clients who have switched to CC.

Here's the unfiltered press release:
http://eon.businesswire.com/news/eon/20130908005070/en

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Sep 9, 2013 at 12:51:19 pm

Some promises made for RED users as well.

http://blogs.adobe.com/premierepro/2013/09/adobe-premiere-pro-cc-october-20...

Return to posts index

Santiago Martí
on Sep 9, 2013 at 2:19:55 pm

http://tv.adobe.com/show/adobe-at-ibc-2013/

Some videos to watch. Great upgrade.

Santiago Martí
http://www.robotrojo.com.ar
Red One M-X, Red Epic X, Red Pro Primes, Adobe CS6, Assimilate Scratch

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Sep 9, 2013 at 5:19:17 pm

I agree - can't wait for this feature - I'd use it today on several projects I just cut in Premiere CC. If this is the kind of progress we can expect from Adobe than the subscription model may prove to be better for end users versus waiting every NAB to see if they finally ad the features you want and deciding if it's worth it to upgrade.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Sep 9, 2013 at 6:25:14 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "There is one small production company in LA "

Actually, and not to argue, there are MANY small companies working that way.

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Sep 9, 2013 at 2:38:03 pm

Don't want to say anything positive and make Bill mad at me!

(but do like that Speedgrade roundtrip)

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions
N. Bethesda, Maryland 20852

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
on Sep 9, 2013 at 3:39:47 pm

Instead of talking about how great this update is... I will further say that it still won't make me rent the software without an exit strategy to keep it.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Sep 9, 2013 at 4:49:35 pm

[Daniel Frome] "Instead of talking about how great this update is... I will further say that it still won't make me rent the software without an exit strategy to keep it."

well said...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 9, 2013 at 4:05:20 pm

Cinema DNG support caught my eye. It makes sense of course, being Adobe.

At the NYC Blackmagic Show, Marco Solorio played a clip from NAB in which Grant Petty mentions cDNG wrapped in .mov. I asked a couple of BMD reps (don't think it was Dan May though) and they seemed dismissive about they're doing it. I did speak to Apple's Steve Bayes (FCPX Product Manager) about this and he said, transcode to ProRes4444. He also said most wouldn't see a difference between ProResHQ and cDNG. That got me peeved. Granted it's my interpretation of what he said but with cDNG now in cameras at pedestrian prices, I hope Apple reconsiders. PPro is going can win this niche if able is intransigent.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Sep 9, 2013 at 4:11:02 pm

With Apple and Blackmagic's current good relations, I don't see any reason not to think we'll see CinemaDNG support. That would be- weird.

Adobe is doing good work. I hope Apple will really surprise us with this Fall's release.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 9, 2013 at 4:16:33 pm

[Marcus Moore] "With Apple and Blackmagic's current good relations, I don't see any reason not to think we'll see CinemaDNG support. That would be- weird."

I would think so too. I'd imagine that's what Grant Petty was implying. I was taken aback by the response I got from BMD reps and Apple's Steve Bayes. Bayes seemed very insistent that it was not worth their while... almost defensive. I really do hope to see otherwise. I'd much prefer cDNG wrapped to .mov than a transcode to PR4444 and it sounded like Apple was going to leave that transcode to external powers. Of course I can hope he was just throwing me "off the scent."

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Sep 9, 2013 at 4:27:28 pm

Part of me still wishes Apple wouldn't completely ignore these big post news cycles. This will be the second big release from Adobe [NAB, IBC] this year, while Apple has sat quietly on the sidelines. Apple long ago divested itself from being slave to anyone else's release cycle (other than getting new products out for the holidays), and it certainly makes sense to a degree.

Just anxious to see what they've been doing for the past year.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Sep 9, 2013 at 5:40:37 pm

I imagine the next rev to FCPX will be significant and include big optimizations for AMD, OpenCL and the new MacPro. But no matter how they improve FCPX, will it be competitive with everything Adobe has been doing lately? Round tripping to Speedgrade - huge - and something Apple has given up on when they killed the old suite and Color. And how does Apple compete with Adobe Anywhere? Apple tried to compete with Avid Unity in the last decade with xServe and then Final Cut Server and failed and and again gave up.

So if small to large studios start buying in to Anywhere (which seems more flexible and is less expensive than say Avid Interplay) that means Premiere would be their NLE by default. FCPX would have to be so compelling as an NLE that Editors would insist on using over Premiere even if a studio is trying to tell them otherwise and very few Editors have final say on the NLE they use. This means Apple would have to do something about sharing and workgroups again with X. Are they really going to fully commit, longterm to a market they pretty much gave up on?

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 9, 2013 at 6:12:41 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "So if small to large studios start buying in to Anywhere (which seems more flexible and is less expensive than say Avid Interplay) that means Premiere would be their NLE by default."

Apple's cloud history is very muddled at best. On the consumer side they've had .mac, MobileMe, iCloud as they keep dropping or adding features. There also was iChat Theater in FCP legacy. Apple in many areas are by no means first or even early to market with some features. A lot of what they do seems to be market surveillance followed by re-envisionining. It's possible Apple will hold off until they see a better way... or stumble as they've done on the consumer side... or maybe they'll just cede that portion of the market. Given Apple's tendency to "commoditize" I suspect they'll hold off until they can find a more mass appeal so that smaller shops and solos can collaborate over long distances at a reasonable price.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Sep 9, 2013 at 6:39:39 pm

All true. And as I'm mentioned before I'm a CC subscriber for Ae and Ps, so I benefit directly from Adobe's improvements here.

Our business has gone thru several cycles where it was advantageous to either use the whole widget from one company, or pick the best products in different areas. it's take a while for Adobe to get Premier up to snuff- but Adobe has I think defined a clear vision of itself. Outside of CC actually NOT catching on and having to reverse course- I don't see how they do anything but strengthen their position.

Unless Apple has all new products in the pipeline, Apple has clearly decided to ceeded certain areas of the post market- namely compositing and color correction. Perhaps ultimately they decided they couldn't deliver the best in class solution in all those areas of HIGHLY specialized tools. We'll never know exactly why these decisions were made.

Much like the MacPro, perhaps Apple sees strength in a core product- with customization thru expansion to the best 3rd party software the better bet.

I dunno.

I think if Apple can present a 10.1 update with cues from the recent LogicX- I think it could sway loads of FCP7 holdouts, of which there are MANY!

I know for me personally I would certainly bemoan if Apple exited this market. I find the core concepts of FCPX really enticing. And while I'm sure I could transition to another NLE (it's happened several times before) I'm gonna stick with Apple for the time being and see how this plays out a while longer.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 9, 2013 at 4:49:18 pm

[Craig Seeman] " I asked a couple of BMD reps (don't think it was Dan May though) and they seemed dismissive about they're doing it. I did speak to Apple's Steve Bayes (FCPX Product Manager) about this and he said, transcode to ProRes4444."

Proper CinemaDNG support requires access to camera raw controls. To do this according to current FCP X structure, Adobe or BMD would need to build an importer that matched Apple's camera SDK, just like RED, Sony, Canon and ARRI. I wouldn't expect that to happen.

If you shoot with the BMD camera and record with BMD Film (their flat gamma profile, like Log-C) using ProResHQ or 4444 - and the temp/tint/exposure is reasonably correct - then, yes, shooting raw gives you very little benefit.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 9, 2013 at 5:10:05 pm

[Oliver Peters] "To do this according to current FCP X structure, Adobe or BMD would need to build an importer that matched Apple's camera SDK, just like RED, Sony, Canon and ARRI. I wouldn't expect that to happen."

Depending on what Adobe seems to have done with cDNG support they seem to have done that for their own product (which makes sense).

[Oliver Peters] "If you shoot with the BMD camera and record with BMD Film (their flat gamma profile, like Log-C) using ProResHQ or 4444 - and the temp/tint/exposure is reasonably correct - then, yes, shooting raw gives you very little benefit."

Sometimes "correct" isn't the goal. It's why, in some circumstances, one would chose to shoot cDNG over ProRes. It's why one might want a cDNG in FCPX to Resolve workflow without proxies, without relinking. It's an ease of use issue. Not unworkable, but for an NLE which is described as "fast" and maybe "simple" it would be more awkward than PPro to SpeedGrade (remains to be seen but I can't help but think this is where Adobe is going).

It's ironic that I've argued with people that shooting ProRes would be more than enough in all but exceptional circumstances but I've been beaten back by enough people who keep pointing out the importance of those extra bits in some cases that I'm now persuaded by their arguments. I've heard from those using BMCC that it can make a difference. Apparently Grant Petty thought it was important enough to mention the possibility.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 9, 2013 at 5:19:43 pm

NAB 2013 - Marco Solorio interviews Grant Petty of Blackmagic Design

See at about 9:30 for cDNG in Quicktime wrapper comments

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Sep 9, 2013 at 5:37:15 pm

Not sure if all CC apps get it but at least Premier Pro CC in OSX 10.8 or later has a proper 64-bit ProRes-engine now. No more complaining about 32-bit QuickTime being the fault of issues! :)

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Sep 9, 2013 at 7:08:39 pm

[Oliver Peters] "If you shoot with the BMD camera and record with BMD Film (their flat gamma profile, like Log-C) using ProResHQ or 4444 - and the temp/tint/exposure is reasonably correct - then, yes, shooting raw gives you very little benefit."

For most recording situations, that's probably true. But the increased spacial and color resolution (12bit @ 2400x1350 vs 10bit @ 1920x1080) can be a big help with tracking and chromakey shots. Also, the BM cameras don't shoot ProRes 4444, only HQ. :-)

Shawn

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 9, 2013 at 8:20:09 pm

[Shawn Miller] "For most recording situations, that's probably true. But the increased spacial and color resolution (12bit @ 2400x1350 vs 10bit @ 1920x1080) can be a big help with tracking and chromakey shots. Also, the BM cameras don't shoot ProRes 4444, only HQ. :-)"

While technically that's absolutely right, there are now a number of features out in theaters that were shot Alexa ProRes4444 or HQ instead of raw. Not much difference to the DP or most viewers. At some point it becomes an esoteric argument.

I work all the time with Alexa footage in ProRes flavors as well as RED shot raw. Most of the work I do with the raw is fixing production issues, like mismatched cameras and wrong color temps. I tend not to see these on comparable Alexa shoots. Maybe better DPs? I don't know. So yes technical is important, but in the real world it's usually secondary.

FWIW - John Brawley originally posted BMCC shots from the exact same set-ups in both CinemaDNG and ProResHQ with the BMD Film profile. Hard to see any difference after grading.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Sep 9, 2013 at 9:53:03 pm

[Oliver Peters] "While technically that's absolutely right, there are now a number of features out in theaters that were shot Alexa ProRes4444 or HQ instead of raw.

Absolutely, not saying that Prores or DNxHD aren't great and appropriate choices for many or most shots. But for some tasks, higher spacial resolution and more color are a definite advantage. I think it might also be worth noting that most films are shot and posted in a variety of formats, so I don't think it's an either or proposition. My guess is that raw and compressed are used where appropriate.

[Oliver Peters] "Not much difference to the DP or most viewers. At some point it becomes an esoteric argument."

I have to respectfully disagree here. :-) Tracking and stabilization tasks can certainly be made easier with higher resolution footage. Maybe there's an argument to be made regarding compositing and keying 10bit vs 12bit footage... but I'd have to work with more 12bit footage to know. We'll see. :-)

Shawn

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 9, 2013 at 10:01:11 pm

[Shawn Miller] "Maybe there's an argument to be made regarding compositing and keying 10bit vs 12bit footage... but I'd have to work with more 12bit footage to know."

True, but then you wouldn't be working in FCP X anyway ;-)

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Sep 9, 2013 at 10:47:01 pm

[Oliver Peters] "[Shawn Miller] "Maybe there's an argument to be made regarding compositing and keying 10bit vs 12bit footage... but I'd have to work with more 12bit footage to know."

True, but then you wouldn't be working in FCP X anyway ;-)"

Ha ha, touche'. :-)

Shawn

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Sep 9, 2013 at 6:40:16 pm

[Craig Seeman] "He also said most wouldn't see a difference between ProResHQ and cDNG."

That's just crazy talk. I just got to work with CinemaDNG for the first time last week, and I think it's fantastic. My only real annoyance was having to work between Resolve and Premiere. Now looking forward to a more efficient PPro to SG workflow.

[Craig Seeman] "Granted it's my interpretation of what he said but with cDNG now in cameras at pedestrian prices, I hope Apple reconsiders."

Agreed, it seems like CinemaDNG support should be a no brainier for all of the major NLEs... since it's an open standard and all.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Sep 9, 2013 at 9:01:49 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Cinema DNG support caught my eye. It makes sense of course, being Adobe.

At the NYC Blackmagic Show, Marco Solorio played a clip from NAB in which Grant Petty mentions cDNG wrapped in .mov. I asked a couple of BMD reps (don't think it was Dan May though) and they seemed dismissive about they're doing it. I did speak to Apple's Steve Bayes (FCPX Product Manager) about this and he said, transcode to ProRes4444. He also said most wouldn't see a difference between ProResHQ and cDNG. That got me peeved. Granted it's my interpretation of what he said but with cDNG now in cameras at pedestrian prices, I hope Apple reconsiders. PPro is going can win this niche if able is intransigent."

Cinema DNG's already work in FCPX, but they come in as stills. You have to compound them to create your own "clips". If FCPX just supported image sequences, wouldn't that solve the problem? Or are we talking about some deeper RAW processing issue?

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 9, 2013 at 9:29:46 pm

[Jason Jenkins] "Cinema DNG's already work in FCPX, but they come in as stills. You have to compound them to create your own "clips". If FCPX just supported image sequences, wouldn't that solve the problem? Or are we talking about some deeper RAW processing issue?"

In effect CinemaDNG is an image sequence. If FCPX supported image sequences that could help. I'm not sure if there'd be any pitfalls but I'd guess that FCPX would be using a "virtual" mov wrapper of sorts.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 9, 2013 at 9:58:49 pm

[Jason Jenkins] "Cinema DNG's already work in FCPX, but they come in as stills."

They do, but are interpreted as a flat, encoded images via Core Image or ColorSync or whatever the OS taps into to do this. There is no access to the raw information in FCP X. If the ISO metadata is too hot, the peaks will be clipped and not recoverable, like they are in software that can interpret CinemaDNG raw, like Aperture, Photoshop, etc.

I did some testing back when the BMCC first came out:

http://digitalfilms.wordpress.com/2012/11/11/blackmagic-cinema-camera-post-...

Here is some newer "playing around" using the Philip Bloom "Hiding Place" clips shot with a the Pocket Camera in ProResHQ with a flat profile:

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Sep 9, 2013 at 4:23:48 pm

Quite impressive update. Need to look into the details more before saying yi-ha, but it really seems like Adobe is pushing hard for an awesome CC-experience.

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Sep 9, 2013 at 4:29:35 pm

Regarding BIll negative take on this I don't personally care about Adobe anywhere and the "October 2013 CC release" is amazing for a lot of high-end AE and PrPro users disregarding this feature.

- Edit > Grade > Edit round tripping as it should be (at least it sounds like it)
- Some massive improvements to AE including performance enhancement and impressive new features like mask tracking (about time!) and properties linking
- AME seems better, hope they've revamped how it structures settings completely.

We'll see how it turns out. I'm heading to IBC on thursday so I'll be able to get some hands-on + questions answered on the spot hopefully.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 9, 2013 at 5:54:01 pm

I wasn't trying to be negative.

I was tryimg to figure the customer that Adobe was targeting here.

Burried in the announcement (if you noticed) was a mention of Anywhere enabling "remote voiceover" -as a longtime narrator and voice talent, who, it might shock you to learn, is currently also a CC subscriber (I like to know about how things in my industry work rather than just guess, silly me) my initial thought was that there might be a revenue stream for me to explore here. Particularly if I had all the pieces already in house.

I actually pretty regularly produce VO sessions for my clients , including running a studio hybrid telephone interface so that clients can direct spots and hear narrations in progress remotely via phone patch.

So my instinct was to see myself as a potential customer for this.

The cost was merely a splash of cold water, that's all. At $12,500 i couldn't see amortizing the cost of providing the service for my clients for years and years. So Adobe is pricing this for studios with different cost structures than mine. No sin in that. Just disappointment that they aren't making and selling this "service" in a structure that better fits my needs.

And so it goes.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
on Sep 9, 2013 at 6:53:46 pm

Adobe has shown again that they have a lot of commitment in bringing users the features they want.

And if Adobe can bring cDNG support, Apple should too. Why transcode, if you could just import? The native RED support in FCPX made our lives a lot easier...

Now let's just hope Apple has a lot to show with their big FCPX update. It's been a year since there was a big feature update, and it's been more then 2 years since FCPX's release. I really hope they don't dissapoint. The bad reputation FCPX had at the start is slowly fading away, and Adobe got a lot of customers against them with their renting options being the only one going further. Apple should really take advantage of that.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 9, 2013 at 7:06:43 pm

[Mathieu Ghekiere] "And if Adobe can bring cDNG support, Apple should too. Why transcode, if you could just import? The native RED support in FCPX made our lives a lot easier..."

But isn't this mostly about licensing? Apple as a major corporation has long resisted too much reliance on technology outside their own patent portfolio.

I'm not technically sophisticated enough to understand who owns what underlying patent fu - but it seems to me when I look at the X Share menu, I largely see output codecs that Apple either owns outright or co-owns as part of a consortium (e.g. h-264)

Is cDNG open source? Or is it patented property? If the latter, then if Apple includes it in their output mix, don't they have to license it? And if so, doesn't that give the licensing body the ability to pull it if things go sour?

I'm not sure exactly why I'd want to put myself in that position if I had ProRes and h-264 already in my basket.

I know that as consumers we all want to work with what we want, when we want. But down deep, aren't there a lot of IP underpinnings that have to be addressed?

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Sep 9, 2013 at 7:19:26 pm

[Bill Davis] "Is cDNG open source? Or is it patented property? If the latter, then if Apple includes it in their output mix, don't they have to license it? And if so, doesn't that give the licensing body the ability to pull it if things go sour?"

CinemaDNG is an open format.

http://download.macromedia.com/pub/labs/cinemadng/cinemadng_p1_spec_091009....

"There are no known intellectual property encumbrances or license requirements for CinemaDNG or its underlying formats DNG, TIFF, XMP, or MXF"

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Sep 9, 2013 at 7:16:21 pm

[Mathieu Ghekiere] "Now let's just hope Apple has a lot to show with their big FCPX update. It's been a year since there was a big feature update, and it's been more then 2 years since FCPX's release. I really hope they don't dissapoint. The bad reputation FCPX had at the start is slowly fading away, and Adobe got a lot of customers against them with their renting options being the only one going further. Apple should really take advantage of that."

In a strange way I don't think that Apple would be that bothered by what Adobe are doing with their CC and specifically with PP. Apple left that type of train set behind with Final Cut Studio.

FCPX is a much lighter footed piece of software and possibly more aligned to our times, to the future and the way that the younger generation work where many of the conventions of post production simply don't apply any more. I'm really interested to see where Apple will take FCPX and having spent a solid amount of time delving into Logic Pro X I'm looking to see similar innovations they have bought to that application transferred to editing workflows. Specifically their development of Smart Controls, which within a video editing environment would allow bundled tools and controls to be developed by the user and applied to multiple clips within a project.

They have really honed in on simplifying the GUI, on looking at the application from the point of view of the user and enabling them to concentrate on their music making skills rather than having to become full time techies in order to fulfil their creative vision. But all of the detail is still there under the hood for those with the mindset to grapple with it.

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Sep 9, 2013 at 8:01:32 pm

Great update packed with things that every editor should find useful and time saving. It's a huge shame it's CC because we would happily pay £2k for this, but as long as it was a purchase.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Sep 9, 2013 at 9:43:43 pm

if PPro7 was purchase, at its current rate of advancement, including the heavy iron anywhere, it would slaughter the market.

Literally any kind of 4-5yr payout subscription software archive option that the CS market could understand. Anything.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]