FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hmm

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy Garchow
Hmm
on Sep 6, 2013 at 3:03:29 pm

http://www.technologyreview.com/news/518941/intels-laser-chips-could-make-d...

"Some of Intel’s partners are considering a more extreme version of that approach. It would see memory, processors, and data storage being kept in entirely separate cabinets, all linked with optical connections. "

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
Re: Hmm
on Sep 6, 2013 at 3:29:20 pm

Damnit! What will I do with all my ZIP Drives now?!?! Don't these uncaring companies realize how many ZIP Drives I have?!? My workflow depends on ZIP Drives! I'm going to boycott them until they add a SCSI connector!!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 6, 2013 at 4:01:40 pm

[Charlie Austin] "What will I do with all my ZIP Drives now?!?!"

That's easy. You will stack them on top of your Jaz drives.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Sep 6, 2013 at 5:00:24 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "You will stack them on top of your Jaz drives."

Yeah, but it's a workaround. Also, I've been plugging things in the same way for years. Now, "they" have decided that I need to plug things in differently?! Why?! Everything works fine right now. I want everything to stay exactly the same. Forever.

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Sep 6, 2013 at 5:55:12 pm

[Charlie Austin] "I want everything to stay exactly the same. Forever"

Buy a diamond. 'Cause you know....

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 6, 2013 at 8:26:22 pm

[Bob Woodhead] "[Charlie Austin] "I want everything to stay exactly the same. Forever"

Buy a diamond. 'Cause you know...."

Yep. Diamonds are FOREVER. And, they're RARE! That's why they're so valuable. It's REALLY hard to find them, cuz it's not like there are thousands upon thousands upon thousands of them in the cases of jewelry stores (sometimes 8 to a mall!) in every large, medium and small sized city on the planet...

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Sep 6, 2013 at 7:44:04 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "You will stack them on top of your Jaz drives.
"

Surely you mean Bernoulli discs - I have two of them, buried in a box, holding the last print issue of the Czech Business Journal.
We couldn't have done it without connectix ram doubler mind you.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on Sep 7, 2013 at 1:54:12 am

Bernoulli! For our old character generators...had three of them. One machine for each edit bay. What the hell was the name of that machine? Not Chyron, but so very much like the Chyron back at the television station...but different. Argh!

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Sep 7, 2013 at 6:39:45 pm

Paul -

You mean a Quantel Paintbox? That's the box I started out doing digital graphics on. I have two of the storage platters from when we were throwing them away - a honking 90MB each!

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on Sep 7, 2013 at 8:46:27 pm

Nah. This was just a character generator. Our first foray with Quantel we bought a Henry and a Hal. I think we leased a Paintbox for a few months before that though.

Wasn't Dubner.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Sep 8, 2013 at 11:57:05 pm

Paul -

I worked on a Dubner for several years before we made the transition to Photoshop and Type Deko (which was really just the Dubner ported to the PC without the 3D module - who needs Phong shading anyway?). I loved having the K Language in Dubner - I could write "monkey proof" templates for our broadcast station's weather screens and other graphics which needed tight control over the look, and the CG ops just had to type in the text and they were done. No mistakes, no "but I like a different typeface" stuff. It worked like a charm. Building the air sequence was a bit of a pain, but it was mighty powerful for the mid-nineties!

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Michael Sanders
on Sep 7, 2013 at 8:51:20 pm

Or do you mean Aston? Can't remember the Aston using Bernoulli drives though -. 3 onwards def. didn't. Abekas maybe. Early versions of Paintbox and DPE500 stills stores did as well.

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 7, 2013 at 9:43:18 pm

You guys have got me all nostalgic for the sound of my old 1980s 3M DC-2000 tape backup drive!

Zizzzwhir - Zizzzwhir- Zizzzwhir-for what seemed like 45 minutes to backup maybe 500 megs.

What really hurt was paying $250 per 1/4 hour for time at the local TV station for on-line ADO. Can't imagine what that would be in today's dollars!

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on Sep 8, 2013 at 4:08:12 am

Let's go with Abekas. We had one D5 linear suite that was Accom/Axial. The other two were D2 CMX. Too many "A's" even back then.

Nagra into a mac (Sound Designer) out to 2 Yamaha mixers with the patch bay right there in the console...

Had an ADO at my first TV station. Kaleidoscope in each edit bay.

Thanks Michael.

Return to posts index

Jeff Markgraf
on Sep 8, 2013 at 10:35:12 pm

The A72 used 3.5" disks for storage. Tied in great with the Axial 20/20 for complete control via the editor.

Return to posts index

Jeff Markgraf
on Sep 8, 2013 at 10:28:28 pm

Paul - your mystery CG would have been a Dubner 10k or 20k. Great CG, I liked it much better that a Chyron. It did basic shapes and lines and custom backgrounds animation long before Chyron got all fancy.

Jeff M.

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on Sep 9, 2013 at 12:29:33 am

You got it with the A72! And yeah it had a floppy drive there at the monitor but we had those big Bernoulli drives in the tape room.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Sep 8, 2013 at 8:52:17 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] ""Some of Intel’s partners are considering a more extreme version of that approach. It would see memory, processors, and data storage being kept in entirely separate cabinets, all linked with optical connections. ""

When I start keeping a complete data center in my closet to edit with, I'll have to take this into consideration.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 9, 2013 at 1:45:55 am

[Herb Sevush] "When I start keeping a complete data center in my closet to edit with, I'll have to take this into consideration."

"Future versions of the technology are intended to appear outside data centers, perhaps in consumer applications."

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Sep 9, 2013 at 3:00:52 am

[Jeremy Garchow] ""Future versions of the technology are intended to appear outside data centers, perhaps in consumer applications.""

Yes, I read that part as well. Future, time unspecified, and "perhaps" most of all. Again, I will reiterate, when I have a data center in my closet I will give this some consideration. Now I might have a data center in my closet in five years or so, who knows, but I think I will leave this out of my budget projections for next year. And the year after that.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 9, 2013 at 3:16:15 am

:(

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Sep 9, 2013 at 12:45:20 pm

Haha woke up to read this topic :)

Zip, Jaz, Floppy and heck even CDs are almost non-existence at my work.

Well actually we dumped the Zip and Jaz 7 years ago.

What ever happened to Iomega?

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Sep 9, 2013 at 5:12:04 pm

Herb, quick question -- how are you storing all of your footage. My understanding from lurking around here is you shoot 26 shows, in multicam, which sounds like a data storage nightmare. Just curious what you do.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 9, 2013 at 5:21:52 pm

Jaz drives, dude.

Jump on board.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Sep 9, 2013 at 5:39:43 pm

[Richard Herd] "how are you storing all of your footage. My understanding from lurking around here is you shoot 26 shows, in multicam, which sounds like a data storage nightmare. Just curious what you do."

From the studio shoot I get 14 Terrabytes of ProRes 422 loaded onto 2 different 8 disc raids, 14TB and 5.25TB of actual storage, both are set as Raid5. I try never to get the raids 80% full. We shoot 5 cameras, I put the angles for 4 cameras on my newest raid, that gets around 800MB/s, and put the fifth and least used angle on my older slower Raid that gets around 400MB/s. I find that long multicam clips, and some of my clips are over 10 minutes long, require a lot more disk speed than the numbers would lead you to believe if you don't want to drop frames occasionally, and I never want to drop frames. There's also a bunch of single camera location stuff that comes in different formats and a bunch of animation and graphics that has to be dealt with. Now that all acquisition is file based I archive everything onto LTO5 tapes at the end of the edit.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Sep 9, 2013 at 7:12:28 pm

Herb any preferences to RAIDs?

Our Apple XServe RAID and GTech XLs are getting old fast :(

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Sep 9, 2013 at 7:25:13 pm

[Eric Santiago] "Herb any preferences to RAIDs? Our Apple XServe RAID and GTech XLs are getting old fast :"

I had an Xserve raid for years and it was heavy, expensive and slow. Currently both my raids are PCIe devices from Maxx Digital, they advertise here, I like their service and price. There are a lot of other PCIe vendors - caldigit, sonnet - plus Pegasus if you want to go Thunderbolt.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]