FORUMS: list search recent posts

Stuttering / glitching... :(

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Mulford
Stuttering / glitching... :(
on Sep 5, 2013 at 9:01:19 pm

I'm working on my very first video production project with FCP X, on a top-of-the-line mid-2012 MacBook Pro. I'm using ProRes 422 footage for editing purposes. My project is not very complex, but it still brings my machine to a screeching halt sometimes, and I can't even play back the project without stutters.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Stuttering / glitching... :(
on Sep 5, 2013 at 9:39:31 pm

Not enough RAM?
Using internal drive for media?
Using a 13" MacBookPro but you said "top of the line" so would that be a 15" Retina?

Return to posts index

Daniel Mulford
on Sep 6, 2013 at 12:32:18 am

Don't think I've got a Retina, but yeah it's a 15" MBP, with 4GB RAM.

I'm not using an external drive. I only read about using an external drive earlier today. I have a fairly cheap 500 GB backup drive, should I set up FCP to use that? Is there a way to get FCP to save Events to the backup drive?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 6, 2013 at 2:54:50 am

Get some RAM. Its pretty cheap. 4 GB is barely enough to run X and the OS. It's not recommended to use the internal for media, but X is definitely designed with that in mind. If your second drive is USB 2 I'd stick with the internal. But if its USB 3 you might give it a shot.

Return to posts index

Daniel Mulford
on Sep 6, 2013 at 4:01:40 am

Thanks for the advice so far. :) I'll definitely invest in some RAM - how much would you recommend? Also, my drive is pretty slow - it's a USB 2.0. If anyone could recommend a good (budget-friendly) drive, that would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Sep 6, 2013 at 1:50:33 pm

I have to disagree with Bret. FCPX may ALLOW Events and Project on the internal drive, but it wasn't meant for it. It's never a good idea on any system if you want good performance.

For good performance:

1. More RAM! Any number over 10 will be WAY more acceptable.
2. Use external drive for Projects AND Events.
3. This drive shouldn't be USB 2. Either USB3.0 or Thunderbolt.

Return to posts index

Daniel Mulford
on Sep 6, 2013 at 11:49:07 pm

Okay, so my question now - should I go for a smaller, SSD/Thunderbolt drive, for maximum speed? Or should I go for capacity instead, and get maybe a couple terabytes of HDD/USB3 space?

I'm thinking it might be better to go for speed over capacity. Once I'm done with a project, I can always transfer the data to another, cheap backup drive. Makes sense?

Return to posts index

Russ Haskell
on Sep 6, 2013 at 2:46:13 pm

Also, in Preferences, set Playback Quality to Better Performance.

Russ

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Sep 6, 2013 at 6:37:44 pm

Welcome to FCPX - there's no machine made - yet - that can run FCPX well. While it does some tasks better than any other NLE, it's amazing how simple things like a certain transition or effect will make it choke.

I was doing some bumpers this week using X - background, .png logo with 2 keyed greenscreen shots (Pro Res 4444) on top (4 video "tracks" plus sound fx). FCPX just couldn't handle it - yes it could be the 8GB of RAM and ATI 4870 card I know but playback was terrible and pausing on the comp turned black.

Then it did the exact same comp in Premiere CC on the SAME machine (8 core 4,1 2.93 blah blah). Without an approved CUDA card Premiere was 100% real-time! And the Ultra Keyer in Premiere is fantastic while the keyer in X was terrible! I didn't expect this at all and remain blown away how fast and smooth CC is.

So while your current set up is a contributing factor, there is still a lot of work for Apple to do to optimize FCPX the way Adobe has optimized Premiere CC.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Sep 6, 2013 at 7:30:31 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "Welcome to FCPX - there's no machine made - yet - that can run FCPX well."

Bullplop

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Sep 6, 2013 at 8:25:47 pm

Well I've run it on the fastest iMac made and a couple of pretty fast Mac Pro's all using RAID arrays, SSD's etc. and it definitely chokes way more than any modern NLE should. There is simply no comparison to the real-time performance of Premiere CC whether you want to believe it or not. I assume you won't...

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Sep 6, 2013 at 8:47:34 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "Well I've run it on the fastest iMac made and a couple of pretty fast Mac Pro's all using RAID arrays, SSD's etc. and it definitely chokes way more than any modern NLE should. There is simply no comparison to the real-time performance of Premiere CC whether you want to believe it or not. I assume you won't..."

Well I don't get bad choking on my system and based on the fact it's only mentioned as an issue on the tech forum when people like the OP try to run it all on their system drives or via USB2.0 and have only 4GB RAM then I would dispute your ridiculously sweeping statement at the start of your post.

PPro CC is very fast though, there is no doubt about that, I am using both at the moment, but interestingly FCPX runs 4K XAVC better than PPro CC

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Sep 6, 2013 at 9:08:28 pm

As much as I love X, I certainly hope software as mature as Premier or Avid has better overall performance- they've had enough time to work on it. X can bog down, and I'm very much looking forward to seeing if they've been able to improve responsiveness across the board for the pending update. Even if you don't have a new MacPro.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Sep 6, 2013 at 9:39:10 pm

Hi Lance -
when you see a pro user who is using USB2 drives as their media drives -
doesn't this tell you something right away. You know exactly what is required to run a
professional system - be it FCP-X, Adobe CC, or AVID Media Composer. Those that insist
that they can do it with an entry level computer - well, what can I say. Why waste your breath.
I appreciate the fact that they don't have a budget, but people don't like the reality that if you
don't own a glove, you can't play on the baseball team.

Just because people like Jenna Marbles are making a fortune making YouTube videos with a low end
camera, and iMovie, doesn't mean that this represents the pro market.

buy a nice fast Thunderbolt drive array, get lots of RAM, use an SSD drive for cache, and your problems will be gone.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Sep 7, 2013 at 2:18:31 am

I concur Bob - but I've run FCPX on a Thunderbolt raid with Fusion (SSD hybrid drive) and 32GB RAM etc etc and it still chokes at times when it shouldn't. And the same files run perfectly in CC...

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Sep 7, 2013 at 2:27:10 am

Hey I like FCPX and Premiere was useless to me until the vast improvements made in CC. But FCPX chokes, not all the time but it chokes on every system I've ever run it or seen it on - just a fact. I'm not talking single track of Pro Res with a couple of effects - I'm talking real-world situations where layers, effects and transitions collide. And the SAME files and layers and effects run perfectly on the same system in Premiere...

If you can't remain just a little objective Steve then your opinions are pretty useless and you may wanna head over to the RedUser forums where no one is allowed to critique, review or challenge anything...

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Sep 7, 2013 at 8:32:20 am

I was simply challenging your ridiculously sweeping statement .

"Welcome to FCPX - there's no machine made - yet - that can run FCPX well"

Which is bullplop, and my opinions are just as useless as yours

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

alban egger
on Sep 9, 2013 at 2:12:02 pm

If you are low on RAM turn of audio waveforms in the eventbrowser.

IMO 16GB is the minimum to have fluent results with X.
USB2 is too slow. Use a Firewire800 or better a thunderbolt external drive. I use WesternDigitals.

And Lance, my MacPro has that 4870 card and X does not fly with it and DaVinci doesn't work either. It is an outdated card. Most Macbooks have better grafix than 2009 MacPros.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Sep 9, 2013 at 5:58:32 pm

The point with the 4870 machine is that the same exact footage and comp that severely chokes FCPX plays exceptionally well in Premiere CC, which I didn't expect. Most of the year I've been running X on the top of the line i7 iMac with 32GB RAM and Fusion drive plus Thunderbolt RAID and it's still sluggish at times when even FCP7 isn't with the same sequence (Event).

My experience thus far with FCPX and Premiere CC is that, regardless of GPU, Adobe has done a better job than Apple is optimizing their software. I expect Apple will make big improvements in performance with the next rev especially when running Mavericks and the new MacPro.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

Atilio Menéndez
on Sep 7, 2013 at 2:41:55 pm

You could also install the freeware program "FreeMemory" which displays the overall amount of free memory on the menu bar. Keep an eye on it and you will see that the amount of free memory decreases constantly while using FCPX, like a balloon losing air. Once it gets below a few hundred megabytes the program becomes increasingly unresponsive. Simply quit and restart FCP before that happens, for instance whenever you have less than a gigabyte, and you will recover pretty much all of the memory you have on your system. You will find that FCP runs almost perfectly as long as there is enough memory available.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 8, 2013 at 12:50:19 am

I see the same things Lance is seeing on a wide range of machines. Performance - or lack thereof - is the biggest negative I have with X. Not to mention, it's very unpredictable why and when it happens.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Sep 9, 2013 at 12:50:04 pm

I agree with most of the machine issues here.
But I get that Premiere Pro and at times Avid MC/Symphony too and thats with a Nitris DX :P
My fave FCPX station is a 2012 Mac Pro with 32GB RAM, 4 x SSD, SAS > GRAID eS Pro and an Nvidia Quadro 4000 x 2 plus a RED ROCKET card.
Average length of projects 20 plus minutes.
Mind you I round trip to AE and Resolve a lot so its not entirely an FCPX station.
Will things change with the tube?
Cant wait to find out :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]