FORUMS: list search recent posts

I'm so surprised this was no where to be seen in the demo...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Nastro
I'm so surprised this was no where to be seen in the demo...
on Apr 18, 2011 at 4:24:38 pm

What the heck happened to numbered or designated video and audio tracks. Right now a lot of my workflow is based on putting certain audio and video elements on the certain numbered tracks and I look to that as a short cut (for example, I know I can just delete video track 6 to get rid of ALL my temp titles as I prep for finalizing). I mean the magnetic timeline seems like a novel ideal and crushing various elements into one clip might look pretty but isn't it also now that much easier to have a stray sound or temp title in the final with this set up? I know off the bat that it's going to be weird (for me, at least) cutting without designated tracks.

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
Re: I'm so surprised this was no where to be seen in the demo...
on Apr 18, 2011 at 4:42:32 pm

Not a demo...a SNEAK PEEK. For answers...see you in June. ;-)

Tom Daigon
Avid DS / FCP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Apr 18, 2011 at 4:59:07 pm

strong rumour that that functionality can be activated - its highly likely that FCPX is presented in its default state in its simplest, most easily grasped presentation, I wouldn't call that dumbing down per se - more like photoshop opening up without every single palette on display.

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Apr 18, 2011 at 5:02:09 pm

Andreas, I find it very curious that so many people think there is going to be a hidden UI that looks like a conventional editor - there really is no evidence at all for this that I have seen. What makes you think this is likely?

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Apr 18, 2011 at 5:10:41 pm

not hidden as such - more simply that you can request numbered tracks - thats not too crazy - apple have officially unofficially confirmed that XML OMF export has been maintained - in order for that to be so - you need numbered tracks. there have been a few "it was confirmed to me after the meet" blog quotes at this point -

I'm comfortable saying the following based on a neurotically exhaustive reading of every single blog and forum post associated with the FCPX launch:
you can invoke a clip viewer, and you can export XML, EDL and OMF. The UI itself is the UI, I don't think that's going to change - I'm kind of OK with it myself

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Apr 18, 2011 at 7:10:37 pm

<>

Fingers crossed! Can you imagine the workflows that would fall to the floor like a deck of cards without these!

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Apr 18, 2011 at 7:17:07 pm

yes - all of them, I can't think of a serious post house in london that wouldn't throw FCP out the window and curse apple's name for eternity if they did something that destructive to existing workflows.

It would like, go down in infamy. That's why I'm pretty sure apple can't be that crazy - for the sake of a few features, it doesn't make sense.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Apr 18, 2011 at 7:17:15 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] " apple have officially unofficially confirmed that XML OMF export has been maintained"

I'd be very interested to learn your source for that. Also do we believe that it will be fully functional? For example, iMovie has XML export support but it will only handle export of the linked audio tracks, and nothing else that you lay up comes through. Don't get me wrong, I'd be very happy to know that your scenario was correct!

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Apr 18, 2011 at 7:30:34 pm

man I have read waaay to many blogs at this point - it really is.. a guy told a guy, with the exception of the conversation at kenstone, that seems quite firm. The other references to XML are coming from conference participants who are saying, on their blogs, that they received certain assurances after the event, the XML thing has come up twice..
If you want to harvest the same - I would RSS feed http://www.artoftheguillotine.com/ : there are about 20 or 30 separate blog posting links referenced there at this point - its satisfying going through them - at the end of it you'll have read about everything written about FCPX, then there's the kenstone forums, then there's here.
I take the point on XML - I don't see how an intelligible XML or OMF file can incorporate compound clips, but then for master output it doesn't break my brain to consider exploding the compound clip and then flattening it to V1 A1 A2 - or indeed, pre-rendering it - apple may have been good enough to offer that functionality. Either way I nearly always have to clean up my timeline considerably for OMF export as a matter of neatness. Ditto XML to get it into AE, dealing with compound clips would just become a part of the clean up no?
(in all this I am presuming that I can invoke numbered tracks, that the controls just pop out from timeline left much like the solo audio controls do at the moment - only in this case I get paste assignment locking etc)

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 19, 2011 at 1:39:09 pm

Aren't compound clips a nest? Nests work in almost every other app but fcs. It's just a container that points to other clips, which means it can be defined in XML.

I'm just not worried about this stuff being in fcpx. Otherwise, truly, there would be nothing separating it from iMovie 11, except for some format/codec support. That's not a joke

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Apr 19, 2011 at 7:28:56 pm

no absolutely - and besides, I'd be very curious to see the kind of habits I develop with b-roll having compound clips (which looks like nesting that just works) and auditioning - i think apple have thought very hard there. the timeline definitely needs to be fragile and responsive at times, but having a muscular linked timeline as a keystroke on/off could work out very nicely.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Apr 19, 2011 at 9:31:04 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Nests work in almost every other app but fcs"

What about nesting doesn't work in the current FCS?

OSX 10.5.8; MacBookPro4,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz
; Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 19, 2011 at 9:32:14 pm

[Craig Alan] "What about nesting doesn't work in the current FCS?"

When you send it somewhere else. Color, STP, etc. The nests work fine in FCP if you stay there.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Apr 19, 2011 at 9:46:05 pm

gotcha.

OSX 10.5.8; MacBookPro4,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz
; Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Apr 19, 2011 at 10:13:39 pm

also - this nesting looks savage - proof meet pudding, but the kind of collapsing going on looks light years away from what I'm used to, as a core refined feature, if it does as it looks, I would actually use it instinctively, something I never did in previous versions.
As an aside - Hands up who ever brought in a PSD as a nest and didn't *immediately* regret it.. ahem.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Apr 22, 2011 at 12:14:47 am

Apparently according to Apple we don't need Tape, Tracks or OMF's anymore....

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Apr 22, 2011 at 4:49:00 am

[walter biscardi] "Apparently according to Apple we don't need Tape, Tracks or OMF's anymore...."

How is that 'apparent'? Because Apple didn't demo capturing a tape on stage?

You're basically trolling at this point.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read What is FCP X’s relationship to iMovie? on our blog.

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Apr 22, 2011 at 6:47:33 pm

Two short notes here:

1. The usage of tracks in a NLE or compositor is quite vital for my self and how I work. I think some features we know from FCPX removes their need somewhat but yeah, I really use tracks a lot for organization and control today (in more apps than FCP).

2. With all the new stuff introduced i don't see an issue apple keeping tracks either. Be it an optional or advanced feature Id be surprised to NOT have it there.

------------------------
Erik Lindahl
Freecloud Post Production Services
http://www.freecloud.se

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]