Jeremy Garchow
Re: 2013 Mac Pro - In action
on Sep 3, 2013 at 5:09:02 pm

And the latest DIY, sizzle core beast in action:

Return to posts index

Craig Shields
on Sep 3, 2013 at 5:36:54 pm

It's a shame they keep going in his office and unplugging all the cables out of that thing just to use it as a rolling pin and such. lol

Return to posts index

Christian Schumacher
on Sep 3, 2013 at 6:00:18 pm

[Craig Shields] "It's a shame they keep going in his office and unplugging all the cables out of that thing just to use it as a rolling pin and such. lol"

You didn't pay attention, I'll break it down for you; guy gets his new mac pro on Saturday, gets on with his life while people misuse it, and when finally at work on Monday, even his mate doesn't know what it is.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Sep 3, 2013 at 6:38:27 pm

Well believability has just gone out the window right there...

Who that's getting one of these things isn't going to have it hooked up the same day!?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 3, 2013 at 6:56:49 pm

But does it blend?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 3, 2013 at 9:12:26 pm

[Bret Williams] "But does it blend?"

Yes -- and because Apple does care about cooking pros, it's got a few settings. The harder you run the CPU and GPUs, the faster those fan blades spin.

Or maybe you talking about something else? :)

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 3, 2013 at 9:23:58 pm

[Walter Soyka] "Or maybe you talking about something else? :)"

He was talking about skating to where the puck will be:

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 3, 2013 at 9:26:51 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "He was talking about skating to where the puck will be: "

That is so perfect.

"Smoothie button." That's my new line.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Christian Schumacher
on Sep 3, 2013 at 6:59:55 pm

[Marcus Moore] "Well believability has just gone out the window right there...

Who that's getting one of these things isn't going to have it hooked up the same day!?"

The day the guy gets it, the first thing he does is to show it off on facebook, take funny pics, etc...that's what it is very believable of this short, the main character, let alone the prototype itself. Why can't Apple enthusiasts make fun of themselves sometimes? Pastiches are only acceptable when it's Apple's time?

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Sep 3, 2013 at 7:07:56 pm

You're taking this a lot more seriously than I am, believe me!

Return to posts index

Christian Schumacher
on Sep 3, 2013 at 7:16:58 pm

As a matter of fact I just wish that Apple take this seriously.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Sep 3, 2013 at 7:18:49 pm

You're kidding, right...?

Return to posts index

Christian Schumacher
on Sep 3, 2013 at 7:22:43 pm

I'll be -partially- working on one of them by 2014. Again, I hope that Apple isn't the one kidding.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Sep 3, 2013 at 7:36:26 pm

For some people the old design was perfect. For some people the new one will be.

Personally, I'm excited. The form factor has nothing to do with it.

Round or square, I do not care!

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 4, 2013 at 3:31:29 am

[Marcus Moore] "Well believability has just gone out the window right there...

Who that's getting one of these things isn't going to have it hooked up the instant it arrives!?"

(FIFY) (fixed it for you.)

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Craig Shields
on Sep 3, 2013 at 7:24:07 pm

I get it. It's kinda funny initially but who would "get on with their life" after getting that? LOL Anyways, I can certainly laugh at Apple or anyone else but to me it's kind of silly. That guy is no pro user. That's for sure.

Return to posts index

Christian Schumacher
on Sep 3, 2013 at 7:37:00 pm

[Craig Shields] "I get it. It's kinda funny initially but who would "get on with their life" after getting that? LOL Anyways, I can certainly laugh at Apple or anyone else but to me it's kind of silly. That guy is no pro user. That's for sure."

OK, right the guy is not a pro user, I bet he doesn't need that. The story is on people that can be futile, hence the silliness and all. I don't think these people showing off MacPros are represented here on the forum, I'm sorry if you took that way. But they do exist out there, and ironically, they may be exactly what is needed for the Mac Pro to take off at this point.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Sep 3, 2013 at 7:44:53 pm

I don't know- I think you may be underestimating how thick the "middle" of the pro market is compared to the very very high end people who potentially may find this machine doesn't meet their needs.

There are a few shortcomings to the lack of super-fast PCIe ports, but I see those as relatively near-term issues. If TB gets to it's 100Gb/s threshold- there are no limits to external expandability. This obviously doesn't solve the problem for those that have a use-case TODAY...

Return to posts index

Christian Schumacher
on Sep 3, 2013 at 8:14:09 pm

[Marcus Moore] "I don't know- I think you may be underestimating how thick the "middle" of the pro market is compared to the very very high end people who potentially may find this machine doesn't meet their needs."

Aha! Now you're getting serious! But no, I'm not. The agency I mentioned earlier which is going to buy one is a fairly small one. I just don't see that happening in significant scales though. Maybe I'm wrong, and was before because I thought that they would kill the Mac Pro and they didn't. But my opinion is that if Apple manages to capture a sizable market right at the beginning from its hardcore fanboys they can raise the bar and develop it further with time. (As shown in the short despite its silly way of doing so) Sure, Pro Apps and professionals using it right out of the gate is going to have impact on this as well. But FCPX and Maya are not exactly ubiquity yet.

[Marcus Moore] "There are a few shortcomings to the lack of super-fast PCIe ports, but I see those as relatively near-term issues. If TB gets to it's 100Gb/s threshold- there are no limits to external expandability. This obviously doesn't solve the problem for those that have a use-case TODAY..."

There's that, yes big, big issue. But I also struggle to believe that this particular choice for the size is going to be the best at the end. Why does it have to be so tinny? They could have come up with something a little bigger than that. You know? Adding at least some SSD slots for god's sake.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Sep 3, 2013 at 8:28:33 pm

[Christian Schumacher] "There's that, yes big, big issue. But I also struggle to believe that this particular choice for the size is going to be the best at the end. Why does it have to be so tinny? They could have come up with something a little bigger than that. You know? Adding at least some SSD slots for god's sake.
"

To what end? "Some" storage is either going to be wasted space or not enough, so why not just outbound it all? Any box has confines, and most MacPros I see push beyond theirs, so you have the giant tower PLUS external peripherals anyway...

The MacPro is the "Brain" of the system in this new paradigm. How you configure it beyond that is up to you. Ultimately it is a much more flexible solution IMHO ('natch).

Return to posts index

Christian Schumacher
on Sep 3, 2013 at 9:01:32 pm

[Marcus Moore] "To what end?"

FCPX Example; I work on a certain rig and it has a 10.0.6 boot drive and another on 10.0.9 with a certain combination of plugins/apps for each of them. And then there's the cache disks, which are ideally internal for certain applications as you can set them up for the different boot drives. All of this without touching the storage, mind you. There are a lot of users that prefer to manage some drives internally, not just editors, but programmers, designers, researchers. It's just common sense. I get that you can do that externally even with USB if you want, and with no glitch at all (to boot the OS or point to cache disks) but I'm a tad skeptical.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Sep 3, 2013 at 9:18:52 pm

apple were never going to do this unless they were making a form of statement - both on their behalf and to wider world. You might want expansion, but I would say that empty air was the first thing wiped off the board.

Realistically - they are on some level doing this from emotion - they have committed what are obviously quite serious engineering resources over a sustained period of time to address a market that doesn't make the width of a line of thread on the profit pie chart.

Its the ludicrous star trek enterprise ambition and construction of the thing that I adore - if you check Se2 ep3 that is actually Data's computer on the desk.
(no it's not) -
you might not like the thing, but I find I instinctively love it, and I know of exactly one company that would try it.

No one could realistically ask apple to do anything else but intellectually exercise themselves with this thing - its not a realistic profit driver at scale. The engineers would have to be intrinsically and deeply into really jamming with it as a basic exercise. You could argue the same thing for X in a way. I have personal issues with the liberties they took there with external understandings of editing practise - but as for the mac pro, I basically adore the thing sight unseen.
there hasn't been theatre the like of that thing in a PC in human eons.
It makes a good cinema ad for god's sake.

I find I half love apple for the way they went about it. Also lets face it - broadly speaking, some of the attributes read insane.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Christian Schumacher
on Sep 3, 2013 at 9:44:18 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "apple were never going to do this unless they were making a form of statement - both on their behalf and to wider world. You might want expansion, but I would say that empty air was the first thing wiped off the board."

I'm planning on buying a card board for tunneling the cold air onto it as I think all of that empty air was somewhat needed and still will be missed.

[Aindreas Gallagher] "I find I half love apple for the way they went about it. Also lets face it - broadly speaking, some of the attributes read insane."

I love the idea of the overall concept. Love their style. Have personal belief that it will be a nice rig to work on, undoubtedly. I just don't agree on the gap they have created by doing so. They could have updated the Mac Pro last year with at least some new components. What happened then was truly a shame.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Sep 4, 2013 at 4:05:59 am

[Christian Schumacher] " I just don't agree on the gap they have created by doing so. They could have updated the Mac Pro last year with at least some new components. What happened then was truly a shame."

What were you thinking they could update? The Xeons that are coming in this 2013 MacPro are the first to support TB and USB3. If Apple had done ANY kind of real update to the MP last year but omitted TB and USB3 ports, how do you think that would have gone over?

Return to posts index

Christian Schumacher
on Sep 4, 2013 at 12:53:55 pm

[Marcus Moore] "What were you thinking they could update? The Xeons that are coming in this 2013 MacPro are the first to support TB and USB3. If Apple had done ANY kind of real update to the MP last year but omitted TB and USB3 ports, how do you think that would have gone over?"

There are established facts regarding Apple's workstation condition, and the main one is that it is based on 2009 tech. What this means is that Apple left it to rot since then, because they were busy making a boat load of cash. And who the hell cares about Thunderbolt in 2010? Or 2011? I'm talking about SATA 3, PCIe 3, 1333mhz memory, better processors and also upgraded video card offerings. You know, things that they have been doing since the Mac Pro inception. But what did they choose to do instead? They have skipped an year (2011) and then also skipped an entire generation of processors from Intel for the first time since 2006 (SB-2012). When they were being widely ridiculed amongst tech enthusiasts, then they came up with the 2012 model. And that was a huge let down right there, mostly if you consider all the things they were mass murdering during that time: Xgrid, XServe, Final Cut Server and Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 7, 2013 at 2:16:41 am

[Christian Schumacher] "When they were being widely ridiculed amongst tech enthusiasts, then they came up with the 2012 model."

Uh...

Want to go back and remind me of the years that Apple has NOT been "widely ridiculed amongst tech enthusiasts?"

Maybe there was 15 minutes in 1984? Half an hour after they sold their first million iPods? Maybe a long weekend when they hit the top of the "most valuable company on the planet" list ... oh wait - I lived through ALL those benchmarks and a hundred more. And I'll vouch that there's never been a second over the past two decades that somebody wasn't on a board somewhere gas bagging about how Apple was overpriced crap and how all the fanboys (a term still used right here extremely regularly!) were just too dense to understand how much better everything else was.

Sure that was true in some cases and at some times. But in hindsight, it's damn hard to name an alternate computer or tech company that's done better at building more loyal customers over time than Apple.

And so it goes.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 3, 2013 at 9:14:53 pm

[Marcus Moore] "The MacPro is the "Brain" of the system in this new paradigm. How you configure it beyond that is up to you. Ultimately it is a much more flexible solution IMHO ('natch)."

The Mac Pro was always the "brain" and you could attach whatever you wanted to it, inside or out.

I'll grant that this is significantly smaller, so that opens up some new opportunities, but I don't know that I see it as more flexible. On the question of CPU slots, it looks to be less...

But that doesn't make it a bad machine. TB2 storage will be fast enough for most. Dual GPUs will more than make up for single CPU for most.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Sep 4, 2013 at 4:13:27 am

What I'm saying is that Apple has pulled the brain out the MP and made it a standalone device. Everything but CPU, GPU, RAM, and Boot Disk has been punted.

Some people loved the existing form factor, some wanted the fabled Xmac (half-tower). By separating out the essentials, someone can customize a setup based on their precise needs. Have existing TB I/O and storage- just hook them up. Need 2 PCIe slots and a 10TB RAID?- someone is probably gonna make that breakout box!

And I think the MacPro still has a few surprises left for us when it gets more formally announced.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 3, 2013 at 9:21:37 pm

[Craig Shields] "I get it. It's kinda funny initially but who would "get on with their life" after getting that? LOL Anyways, I can certainly laugh at Apple or anyone else but to me it's kind of silly. "

My favorite part was the middle finger to the iMac.

I chuckled for longer than was necessary.

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Sep 4, 2013 at 7:52:26 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "My favorite part was the middle finger to the iMac."

I'm glad I wasn't the only one chuckling about this. We will definitely get at least one R2D2 when they come out and we'll see where we go from there. We already have some maxed out iMacs in production and these little things surely rock with FCPX. If the performance of this new MP is really as futuristic as its form-factor my purchase budget for 2014 is in danger (-:

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Chris Murphy
on Sep 4, 2013 at 8:29:15 am

I'm vaguely curious about how 10GigE support is going to play out.

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Sep 4, 2013 at 9:17:31 am

[Chris Murphy] "I'm vaguely curious about how 10GigE support is going to play out."

Judging from recent tests we have done with a Sonnet Presto over Thunderbolt I'm quite confident this will play out very well on the new MP.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Chris Murphy
on Sep 4, 2013 at 10:37:59 am

Perhaps I'm missing something. I'm only seeing GigE Presto PCIe cards. i find it rather clunky to put have to buy a PCIe expansion chassis, and put in a 10GigE PCIe card, in order to get 10GigE on a Thunderbolt only MacPro. So what I'm curious about is a 10GigE version of Apple's existing GigE adapter, either from Apple or a 3rd party.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 4, 2013 at 12:07:39 pm

[Chris Murphy] "Perhaps I'm missing something. I'm only seeing GigE Presto PCIe cards. i find it rather clunky to put have to buy a PCIe expansion chassis, and put in a 10GigE PCIe card, in order to get 10GigE on a Thunderbolt only MacPro. So what I'm curious about is a 10GigE version of Apple's existing GigE adapter, either from Apple or a 3rd party.
"

Why won't this work for you?

http://www.attotech.com/products/product.php?scat=32&prod=103&sku=TLNT-1102...

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Sep 4, 2013 at 12:08:18 pm

For that I guess you will have to wait and see. The Presto in a Sonnet chassis is a perfectly working solution for us and I don't find it to be clunky at all, so I won't be waiting for anything else.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 4, 2013 at 12:32:35 pm

I think Aindreas' comment about emotion as a driver within Apple rings true. This machine may or may not make business sense, but it's an Apple statement about innovation that they hope will have a halo effect. They are currently getting their butt kicked in the fickle smart phone market (Android currently at 80%) - though that waxes and wanes with each release of new iPhone models. They need to show the market that they are a broader company. Besides, things they learn with the Tube will work their way into other products, like iMacs and laptops.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Sep 4, 2013 at 1:34:33 pm

[Oliver Peters] " They are currently getting their butt kicked in the fickle smart phone market (Android currently at 80%) - though that waxes and wanes with each release of new iPhone models. "

Apple's driver has never been marketshare, but in profit-share. There are good Android phones and there are people who definitely buy them because they love them, but Android holds 80% of the market because just about everything comes with Android on it. It's the commodity choice.

Even IF this new iPhone5C does come out at a lower price point next week, there's still a massive market that exists underneath that, which Apple is never going to go after. Just like Apple isn't interested in the person who goes into a BestBuy looking for a $299 laptop.

App sales and web usage statistics seem to support Apple's claim that their share of people who actually USE their phones and are willing to BUY apps is pretty high. Who wants the cheap bastards...?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 4, 2013 at 1:57:18 pm

[Marcus Moore] "It's the commodity choice."

That's precisely my point. The "special-ness" of the iPhone in the smart phone market isn't there like it used to be. Apple needs something else to demonstrate design, engineering and user experience prowess. In theory, that's what the new Mac Pro would do for them.

[Marcus Moore] "Just like Apple isn't interested in the person who goes into a BestBuy looking for a $299 laptop."

Not completely true. BestBuy sells Apple computers. Apple is very interested in having the $299 person come in based on it being a BestBuy and then have them decide to spend more money and buy a MacBook or iMac instead.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Sep 4, 2013 at 2:04:39 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Not completely true. BestBuy sells Apple computers. Apple is very interested in having the $299 person come in based on it being a BestBuy and then have them decide to spend more money and buy a MacBook or iMac instead."

Best buy sells at a range of price points, but someone looking for a cheap $299 laptop isn't going to be up-sold to a $999 MacBookAir.

But depending on their use case, that same person might buy an iPad!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]