COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bernard Newnham
I know that some lust after this....
on Aug 23, 2013 at 9:33:38 pm

Bernie

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
Re: I know that some lust after this....
on Aug 23, 2013 at 10:50:20 pm

Thanks for posting, nice to know that Apple is still completely out of touch with what their customers want. Information.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Aug 23, 2013 at 11:40:45 pm

I believe other companies use this technique, it's called a "teaser" campaign. The details actually come at the LAUNCH of the product.

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Kent Beeson
on Aug 23, 2013 at 11:44:10 pm

You got that so right - was hoping for Apple to show us 4K editing fast, on two 4K monitors, no rendering with fast output, etc. Instead It's a tease for some carnival side show. Cosmetics mean nothing, give us what we need to perform edits as fast and easy as an extension of our thoughts...but no one can do that, so instead we get something that will be laughed at in 4 years, then made to think we need something else new.

Obviously they'll give details at product launch but it won't be editing as fast as an extension of the editor's thoughts...probably 30 years from now due largely to marketing delays and business reasons.

Return to posts index

Kent Beeson
on Aug 24, 2013 at 12:52:12 am

And I know the new mac pro is more than just cometic - but I'm referring to no one is releasing yet a touch screen style coupled with voice activated and motion sensor system that really edits and works the natural way a human thinks - hard/software needs to learn the way we want to individually work and be an extension of the thoughts...that's what's years and years away from being given to us...

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Aug 24, 2013 at 1:34:59 am

[Kent Beeson] "a touch screen style coupled with voice activated and motion sensor system"

Sorry. While I had fun watching Tom Cruise in Minority Report operate an interface as if he were a orchestral conductor, I'm not particularly excited by the realization of such a thing.

To me what you are describing sounds far slower and much more annoying then my brain sending signals to my fingers to push slide and click. Frankly, its a pretty effective interface, and far faster if practiced than any possible voice command.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Aug 24, 2013 at 1:56:42 am

Agreed. I don't see any advancement in editing that involves fundamentally MORE movement. I can see the integration of desk level touch devices for functions which quick keys aren't the preferred form of data input, like Color Correcting or Audio Mixing. Basically the same things physical consoles are already used for. I will be interesting to see if the next FCPX follows in the steps of Logic Pro X and has an accompanying iPad app for functions like this.

Apple has already poo-pooed touchscreen desktops years ago. Saying it was (rightfully so) ergonomically awful.

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Aug 24, 2013 at 2:02:11 pm

[Jason Brown] "Thanks for posting, nice to know that Apple is still completely out of touch with what their customers want. Information."

This product is known to contain at least one unannounced component (the CPU) and could contain others (the GPU specs don't match up with any current product, though Apple could just be clocking a current product differently). Apple may consequently be contractually prevented from discussing specs or prices in too much detail at this time.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Aug 24, 2013 at 1:30:22 am

Yeah... the placement of this ad in theatres is a bit bewildering. I suppose people who might buy a MacPro could be seeing a movie...

The only salient information is framing the release as "Fall" vs "later this year" from WWDC. "later this year" is pretty pessimistic. "Fall" is slightly more encouraging.

Yes I will be buying one.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Aug 24, 2013 at 1:38:13 am

[Marcus Moore] " "later this year" is pretty pessimistic. "Fall" is slightly more encouraging."

Well, since "Fall" represents all but the last ten days of the year, its pretty much the same. I don't think anyone is anticipating a Boxing Day release.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Aug 24, 2013 at 1:52:23 am

True enough. I guess "Fall" just reads to me as a bit more early leaning than "later this year".

My guess is that we'll get some update on availability at an event in late October. No stage time (it had that moment in the sun at WWDC)- just preorder dates or something; with a big update to the MacPro page on apple.com for more details and pricing info.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Aug 24, 2013 at 2:33:54 am

[Marcus Moore] "My guess is that we'll get some update on availability at an event in late October. No stage time (it had that moment in the sun at WWDC)- just preorder dates or something; with a big update to the MacPro page on apple.com for more details and pricing info.
"

I'm thinking that's about right, as well. It will probably "ship" in November or early December, but will probably be hard to get until late January or Feb.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Aug 24, 2013 at 2:48:22 am

I dunno, after Tim Cooks mea culpa about iMac delays over the holiday season, I'm hoping they won't repeat the same mistake.

That said, I'd wager a much higher proportion of MacPros will be custom configs vs iMacs. And the fact that they're being assembled in the US will affect delivery- though whether that's positively or negatively remains to be seen.

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
on Aug 24, 2013 at 8:59:37 am

I'm sure that lots of people here make trailers and commercials, so can join in a touch of deconstruction.

What does the ad say, and to who?

First - it would be interesting to know what it's being played next to....?

What do we see, and what does it remind us of?
Well, to my mind 2001, then an amalgam of Darth Vader and Batman. Then going back to 2001.

So, who is it trying to impress?
Sci-fi geeks. That's it really. They're not trying to impress you - at least not the professional you, otherwise they'd be talking spec, and not doing style over substance.

Why?
Who knows the mind of Apple?

Bernie

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 24, 2013 at 4:05:50 pm

My guess, and it's just a guess, is that they aren't marketing to you, Bernard.

They are marketing to those who might be looking for something that is more powerful than an iMac, or portable.

The are marketing to first time MacPro buyers, they are marketing to a very large and wide audience, as Apple does.

For instance, my colleague showed his very Apple centric teenagers, the WWDC teaser and they asked, "What's a MacPro? What do you do with it? There's no monitor!"

That, my friend, is some of the many people Apple Marketing is trying to reach.

Specs? No. Sex? Yeah. I'm not saying its everyone's turn on, but for the uninitiated, it might pique curiosity.

And if you consider the audience of this teaser (presumably movie goers), it fits right in:

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 24, 2013 at 4:37:12 pm

If you think about, after all the "Apple doesn't care about....." that they are Marketing the MacPro to the Public, says something about how Apple feel about this regardless of how one feels about the style of marketing.

They want to Sell MacPros. It's not just a throw away to complaining professionals as some have insisted. Those that think the new MacPro was simply "there you have something so shut up and leave us alone" seem to be wrong given Apple's putting it forth to the public.

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
on Aug 24, 2013 at 5:09:01 pm

"My guess, and it's just a guess, is that they aren't marketing to you, Bernard."

I think I'd worked that out - and given that I will never ever buy one, that's fine. It's an academic exercise.

"....they are Marketing the MacPro to the Public...."

Indeed they are, at least a part of it. Clearly not to the professionals who hang out here. I wonder why?

I used to be a promotions producer at the BBC, and we did lots of "who are the target audience" stuff. In this case, they seem to be following the old "if in doubt, give them an explosion" method. In certain circumstances, that's what we'd. I'll let you work out the circumstances.

Bernie

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 24, 2013 at 5:22:04 pm

[Bernard Newnham] ""if in doubt, give them an explosion""

Which is very much appropriate for the movie theater trailer environment. In this internet age, the theater might not be the place to dazzle with specs. On the other hand creating intrigue so people start looking it on there smartphones (or computers when they get home) would be a good marketing first step.

Create product name recognition and curiosity.
Later give them the details.

It'll be interesting to see where their marketing goes in the upcoming weeks.

Return to posts index

Dan Stewart
on Aug 24, 2013 at 8:05:00 pm

Anyone who buys a $5000+ computer based on an exciting visual promo of what it would look like if it was on their desk & not plugged in has waaaaay too much of Daddy's money.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 24, 2013 at 8:49:22 pm

I don't think people will buy the computer based on this ad alone... nor would anyone in advertising think that.

Advertising is often done in stages. First is raise product awareness so the public knows it exists. Second is to create interest so that people will research it further. This ad succeeds or tries to succeed in those areas.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Aug 25, 2013 at 12:45:04 am

[Bernard Newnham] "Indeed they are, at least a part of it. Clearly not to the professionals who hang out here. I wonder why? "

This is a facetious statement.

Saying Apple is marketing to CQ public with this ad belies the fact that you see ads for BMWs, high end watches, and cologne before movies.

While I admit that I'm a bit bewildered by taking this ad to theatres (it's intended consumer base needs no further advertisement- if you're planning on buying one of these, you definitely know all there is to know about it already) the fact that the ad played in a theatre doesn't limit who they could be marketing to.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 25, 2013 at 3:55:09 am

[Marcus Moore] "While I admit that I'm a bit bewildered by taking this ad to theatres (it's intended consumer base needs no further advertisement- if you're planning on buying one of these, you definitely know all there is to know about it already) the fact that the ad played in a theatre doesn't limit who they could be marketing to."

They aren't marketing to you, either. Or me.

They are marketing to those who don't know what a MacPro is, or what it might be used for. The are marketing to everyone, not an intended user base.

They are marketing to the younger folks who have always used iMacs, they are marketing to people/professionals/Mac users who didnt need a giant silver surfer, but would take a look at a sleeker, smaller, and perhaps more powerful Mac, in the style of a teaser trailer with a vague release date. Media professionals, college students, scientific communities, and perhaps even gamers.

Or perhaps this niche market we often mention around here is much bigger than we all imagine it to be.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 26, 2013 at 5:52:44 am

Maybe it's simpler than all of this conjecture.

Maybe step one is a company that's been historically committed to caring about industrial design. A company that tries to make products that are both functional and aesthetically pleasing.

If so, then it stands to reason that they would try to create advertisements that show the beauty.

And where would they show such an ad? Wouldn't they show it on the largest screens with the most resolution and the best audio performance they could find?

Where might those be? Oh yeah. (slapping foreheads) MOVIE THEATRES.

Killer picture, killer sound. Millions of eyeballs waiting in the dark with their attention fully focused on whatever hits the screen next.

Maybe all of this is just as deeply simple as that.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 25, 2013 at 1:57:45 am

The halo effect is back.

For Apple today, the halo does not come from performance. Like Jeremy says, Apple is not competing there. The halo from this Mac Pro comes from the industrial design.

Apple is selling the image of innovation.

I'm not sure if it matters if anyone ever buys a Mac Pro after seeing this ad in a movie theater. They just need to know that Apple made something else that looks different and cool. They've still got it.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Aug 25, 2013 at 4:20:04 am

Yeah, that's it. That ad isn't about selling Mac Pros, but reminding people how amazingly cool Apple is, and that its not just a phone company, but a "future"company.

Return to posts index

Ben Mullins
on Aug 25, 2013 at 6:05:30 am

I used to work at the Odeon cinema chain in the UK whilst at university and from what I could see the average age of a cinema goer was around 11-18. I suppose it depends on what the film is but I'm sure Apple would be very aware of this age range so you would have to assume that this is their primary target audience (for this campaign).

You could also argue that by simply having an advert before a movie that you align your product with the glitz and glamour of Hollywood. You associate your product with that special feeling of going to the movies, subconsciously at least.

I think this is certainly an exercise in brand/product awareness rather than directly trying to sell anything, with a definite halo effect as Walter mentioned.

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Aug 25, 2013 at 7:32:55 am

I haven't heard of this ad being shown in European theaters. I agree this is just a branding ad, and IMO quite an impressive one for that.

We sometimes do CTV work for Renault through one of our agency clients. Some of their ads only show their Formula 1 cars racing. Now I don't think many people are going to buy such a car after seeing the ad (-: But according to the agency they have been selling more town cars to younger people since they have been using their F1 team in their promos. So the halo effect still seems to be working

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
on Aug 25, 2013 at 9:32:43 am

That's because no-one is buying Renault any more. They have to show the F1 cars as they don't make an ordinary car that people want.

Bernie

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Aug 25, 2013 at 11:47:28 am

One large brand turnaround that almost matches the Skoda turnaround is Premiere Pro.

It's gone from prosumer to pro over the last four years or so and especially the last 2 years following the EOL of FCP7.

But getting back to the MacPro ad. I simply think that Apple are immensely proud of this new computer. I don't think it will persuade anybody who doesn't already know about it to buy it, or anybody who knows about it to make that final decision.

I think they are going to sell busloads of the new Mac Pro, there is nothing like it on the market and if you use Apple Pro Apps it's a no-brainer.

Unlike Abode Apple hold a full hand of cards, use their software and you'll buy their computers.

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Aug 25, 2013 at 2:13:48 pm

They have to show the F1 cars as they don't make an ordinary car that people want.

LOL. Now we know why Apple is showing these MacPro ads: they don't make anything else that people want (-:

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Aug 26, 2013 at 12:54:37 pm

Haha it must be a slow week/month if we have to discuss this type of topic :)

Id rather argue why theaters still play low res material prior to feature :P

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 26, 2013 at 1:28:50 pm

[Eric Santiago] "Id rather argue why theaters still play low res material prior to feature :P"

Because the new MacPro isn't out to stream 4k via Thunderbolt to the 4k trailer projector.

Duh.

:-D

You see, Apple is really advertising to the theater managers/projectionists.

*Slaps forehead harder than Bill slapped his forehead*

Why am I over thinking it?

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Aug 26, 2013 at 2:15:16 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "You see, Apple is really advertising to the theater managers/projectionists. "

Yes!!! Problem solved (-:

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
on Aug 26, 2013 at 4:33:10 pm

Do you think that could called a niche market?

Bernie

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]