FORUMS: list search recent posts

Premiere or FCPX, still hating FCPX's timeline behaviour

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Snow
Premiere or FCPX, still hating FCPX's timeline behaviour
on Aug 23, 2013 at 9:17:37 am

Hi guys, me again... Another shop, another Move from FCP7...
Last time we went to AVID, where it worked out very fine. This time around AVID isn not an option, neither anything else than FCPX or Premiere.

So.... after some testing I must say: FCPX just keeps rearranging my Clips on the timeline, whatever hard I will try, this beast will shuffle around Clips or propose Snap-Edits without snap-activated and even worse change the track-order! This is just a nightmare!

Am I too stupid to adjust to this "new paradigm" or are you guys experiencing the same even with a lot of Know-How in this software?

Is it OK to say, that the FCPX-Timeline is forcing me to change my behaviour, how I edit?

Is premiere purchasable as one-time License without the fancy CC and monthly-Pay stuff?

Is there a downside comparing Premiere to FCP7 ?

Thanks in advance and good editing everyone!

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
Re: Premiere or FCPX, still hating FCPX's timeline behaviour
on Aug 23, 2013 at 9:22:01 am

[Mark Snow] "So.... after some testing I must say: FCPX just keeps rearranging my Clips on the timeline, whatever hard I will try, this beast will shuffle around Clips or propose Snap-Edits without snap-activated and even worse change the track-order! This is just a nightmare!

Am I too stupid to adjust to this "new paradigm" or are you guys experiencing the same even with a lot of Know-How in this software?"

No you're not, it just takes some getting used to, there are many good tutorials out there

[Mark Snow] "Is premiere purchasable as one-time License without the fancy CC and monthly-Pay stuff?"

Only the CS6 version

[Mark Snow] "Is there a downside comparing Premiere to FCP7 ?"

I don't think that CS6 matches up particularly well to FCP7 in a lot of respects, however Premiere Pro CC is much better - but you have to rent it!

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Mark Snow
on Aug 23, 2013 at 10:35:36 am

Usually I need at least 4 video-tracks, tossing clips around and on top of each other without deleting or changing the other clips, all the while leaving the rest of the timeline the same in the meantime.

Even when I take the Position tool and construct some "Gap-V-Tracks", FCPX doesn't even respect those Gaps. It's frustrating... What the hell is so wrong with normal Tracks!?

I think I can't get used to the paradigm of having only one storyline that rules them all.
I don't have a primary storyline! I would like to make a Video...

Every shot is as important as any other anywhere, but the shot that is on top is going to be in the movie, it's that physical and simple, i think.

Unless FCPX gives me breathing space to edit (Tracks) and respect for my editing (stops moving and snapping around Clips without asking) I am not willing to "get used to" as long as there are alternatives.

I tried and watched tutorials too often now already. This timeline-editing behaviour is just not working for me, I guess. Besides I need Bezier-Speed-Controls built-in.

Again: Is it possible to "domesticate" this timeline-editing in FCPX or would I have to change how I edit?

Your experiences?

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Aug 23, 2013 at 10:40:16 am

[Mark Snow] "Usually I need at least 4 video-tracks, tossing clips around and on top of each other without deleting or changing the other clips, all the while leaving the rest of the timeline the same in the meantime.

Even when I take the Position tool and construct some "Gap-V-Tracks", FCPX doesn't even respect those Gaps. It's frustrating... What the hell is so wrong with normal Tracks!?

I think I can't get used to the paradigm of having only one storyline that rules them all.
I don't have a primary storyline! I would like to make a Video...

Every shot is as important as any other anywhere, but the shot that is on top is going to be in the movie, it's that physical and simple, i think.

Unless FCPX gives me breathing space to edit (Tracks) and respect for my editing (stops moving and snapping around Clips without asking) I am not willing to "get used to" as long as there are alternatives.

I tried and watched tutorials too often now already. This timeline-editing behaviour is just not working for me, I guess. Besides I need Bezier-Speed-Controls built-in.

Again: Is it possible to "domesticate" this timeline-editing in FCPX or would I have to change how I edit?
Your experiences?"

It really doesn't sound like FCPX is for you.

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Aug 23, 2013 at 12:04:58 pm

Mark Dobson:I think I can't get used to the paradigm of having only one storyline that rules them all.

Mark,

You know FCPX works without fixed tracks and with a dynamic timeline, and that's the way it will stay. If you say from the start that you are absolutely not willing to accept or learn this way of working I don't think you should waste your time trying to find ways to work around it. Just use a track-based NLE instead.

But when you accept it as it is I think you will find FCPX particularly effective. Even some of our most experienced editors have been cursing like hell when they did their first real project in FCPX. Today I'm sure none of them would like to go back to a track-based NLE. Once you get used to working with it and not against it editing in FCPX is a breeze.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Aug 23, 2013 at 1:28:39 pm

X is like snowboarding. It's better than skiing. Most kids learn snowboarding instead. It has one board, no poles, and it's quicker to learn than skiing. But I've met lots of skiers that have tried it and said they didn't like it. It was too difficult. They didn't get it. Their butt hurt. Etc. But the real problem was that they were awesome skiers. They'd been skiing 20 years and they were good at it. They'd mastered it. Even if snowboarding was better, more efficient, simpler, cheaper, they were still happier with skiing. They didn't enjoy being out of their comfort zone. They didn't enjoy not being an expert.

I think X is arguably like that. We all became experts after 5-10 years of using a certain NLE methodology. Legacy, Premiere and Avid were just different brands of skis. X is a snowboard. You've got to enjoy tackling something new and ride the bunny slope a little bit. And when the little kids are in the half pipe while you're still falling off the chair lift try not to scream "I'd kick your ass on skis!"

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Aug 23, 2013 at 1:31:22 pm

[Bret Williams] "X is like snowboarding. It's better than skiing. Most kids learn snowboarding instead. It has one board, no poles, and it's quicker to learn than skiing. But I've met lots of skiers that have tried it and said they didn't like it. It was too difficult. They didn't get it. Their butt hurt. Etc. But the real problem was that they were awesome skiers. They'd been skiing 20 years and they were good at it. They'd mastered it. Even if snowboarding was better, more efficient, simpler, cheaper, they were still happier with skiing. They didn't enjoy being out of their comfort zone. They didn't enjoy not being an expert.

I think X is arguably like that. We all became experts after 5-10 years of using a certain NLE methodology. Legacy, Premiere and Avid were just different brands of skis. X is a snowboard. You've got to enjoy tackling something new and ride the bunny slope a little bit. And when the little kids are in the half pipe while you're still falling off the chair lift try not to scream "I'd kick your ass on skis!""

I believe you may have come up with the perfect analogy for FCPX

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 23, 2013 at 5:35:17 pm

[Steve Connor] ""X is like snowboarding. It's better than skiing. Most kids learn snowboarding instead. "

Ex -freeking-actly.

Couldn't have said it any better. Perfect basic analogy.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Mark Snow
on Aug 23, 2013 at 3:40:00 pm

I am snowboarding since around 20 years... :)

Problem is, if you can't even slow down a simple Scale-Transformation, respectively have Bezier-Control of the Transformation-Keyframes, I am not even going on the ski-lift...! (and this would be for me "the basic project"'s needs)

This looks to me like those Bigfoot-Skis rather...

I am really trying to find an advantage in X, but I am not finding any...

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Aug 23, 2013 at 7:13:21 pm

Yeah I kinda agree - for all I like and even love about FCPX, the interface, beautiful "live" waveforms, superfast color controls, great scopes... it's actually editing that's the worst feature of all lol. I'm not sure it's a software companies job to disregard their entire user base and basically tell them sorry, we've been screwing up the last 12 years, but we've got it right now and we're gonna tell Editor's how to edit the right way.

I do think Premiere CC is the first FCP7 worthy successor - I've been cutting on it daily since the June release and though it still has some shortcomings, I really like it. Do I wish Apple would have just would have made FCP 8 a fast 64 bit version of 7, heck yeah, but they didn't, so Premiere CC is second best thing I've found. And now that's it's only $19 month it may also be the best bargain in the pro NLE arena.

This is not to say I'll never cut on X again, I have no problem going back and forth depending on the show and even throw a little Sony Vegas in now and again when I need to get something out faster than X or CC can.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Aug 23, 2013 at 7:29:40 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "it's actually editing that's the worst feature of all lol."

Funny, but cutting in 7 this week makes me feel exactly the opposite way. I spend so much time "setting up" for every cut... It drives me nuts. :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Aug 23, 2013 at 8:16:01 pm

Sure you're right - I haven't really cut in 7 for almost 2 years now but there is no comparison with CC and 7 as far as speed goes. One is 64 bit and uses the GPU brilliantly and the other... well :(

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Aug 23, 2013 at 8:19:02 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "I haven't really cut in 7 for almost 2 years now but there is no comparison with CC and 7 as far as speed goes. One is 64 bit and uses the GPU brilliantly and the other... well :("

Oh most definitely. Pr CC is very nice. Fast, responsive, etc. But still... those awful tracks just get in my way... ;-)

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Aug 24, 2013 at 2:58:20 am

Let's not forget better green screen, better multicam, better faster scrubbing/logging. And personally I find X to be much much faster at at least the first draft of a cut. Non-destructive no-track patching just seems simpler and faster.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Aug 24, 2013 at 3:05:37 am

Well, fcp 7 had the same basic crappy keyframing engine. And as an AE guy myself I know what keyframing should be. Premiere is wonderful in this aspect.

Whenever I go snowboarding it sucks when you miss a turn and have to hoof it uphill. Skis and poles are immensely better at going uphill. Thery're also better in lift lines. But I still choose snowboarding. (Not that I've gotten to go since I had kids! There's just not much snow in the ATL.)

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Aug 23, 2013 at 4:43:15 pm

Love this analogy.

I'm a skier by the way.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Aug 23, 2013 at 4:55:52 pm

[Bret Williams] "I think X is arguably like that. We all became experts after 5-10 years of using a certain NLE methodology. Legacy, Premiere and Avid were just different brands of skis. X is a snowboard. You've got to enjoy tackling something new and ride the bunny slope a little bit. And when the little kids are in the half pipe while you're still falling off the chair lift try not to scream "I'd kick your ass on skis!""

I don't buy the old dog can't learn new tricks analogy. Sure, it fits here and there but many people have made the transition from film and/or linear editing to NLE editing so obviously they have proven they can roll with the punches. Sometimes personal preference is just personal preference.

Not to ruin the analogy, but speaking as someone that's been a fairly regular snowboarder for the 7 or 8 years, it can be very limiting compared to skiing. Woods? Easier on skis. Moguls? Few people even attempt them on a board. On/off chair lifts? Much easier on skis. Long flats/cat tracks? Much easier on skis. I've never skied but I board with a lot of skiers and skiing is overall a much more flexible and functional way to navigate a mountain (even if the initial learning curve might be higher). I mean, I don't think you'll ever see mountain rescue professionals using snowboards instead of skis. With that being said I really enjoy snowboarding and don't plan on picking up skiing. Not because I'm afraid of starting out at the bottom again, but because I enjoy boarding and it better suits what I want to get out of a mountain.

As an aside, boarding blew up in popularity in part as a rebellious 'anti-skiing' youth movement where skiing was seen as being for old, rich people. In the past 10-15yrs though there has been a counter movement as boarding became mainstream and a new revolution started in skiing called freeskiing or newschool skiing (which takes many of the trick/grinding aspects of boarding and combines it with skiing). Skiing is certainly bouncing back (especially with youth) from the snowboard onslaught.

I'm not a snow junkie but I did work on a skiing doc a few years ago.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 23, 2013 at 5:51:40 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "Not to ruin the analogy, but speaking as someone"

That's the thing about analogies - they ARENT the thing itself. So they "definitionally" vary from the rules of the reality and are riddled with exceptions.

The fact that some parts of them fail miserably does not remove the punch from the parts of them that work well..

They just point out concepts.

Snowboards were a major change to the long established way to move downhill on snow.

They were dismissed as "kid stuff" at first. But become so popular that people came to appreciate what they could do better than skis in *some* tasks that a lot of people wanted to do.

And now in the winter, there are probably more snowboarding competitions in the media than traditional downhill skiing events, because they attract a fresh new audience. Not because one or the other is "better" at all aspects of getting down the hill.

And so it goes.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Aug 23, 2013 at 7:00:37 pm

I know we like killing analogies here, but I still disagree w/the fundamental point of the ski/board analogy which is old dogs can't learn new tricks. Newer and different isn't always better. If someone prefers skiing (Avid/PPro/FCP Legend) to snowboarding (FCPX) maybe it's a simple as skiing lets them accomplish what they need to accomplish better than snowboarding. Nothing complicated. Nothing judgmental. Nothing adversarial. Just straight up pragmatism.

[Bill Davis] "And now in the winter, there are probably more snowboarding competitions in the media than traditional downhill skiing events, because they attract a fresh new audience.

Probably, but add in the relatively newer freestyle and freeskiing (which attracts the same demo that caused snowboarding to explode) and there are probably more ski events. FWIW, the X-Games has 5 ski events and 6 snowboard events (the events are the same save for whether your are competing on skis or a board) while the Olympics have 10 ski events (combined 'traditional' and freestyle) and 4 snowboarding events.

Freesking is the new, 'cutting edge' way to descend a mount, catch big air and show off in the terrain park.

Like you said, and so it goes.

Return to posts index

John Godwin
on Aug 23, 2013 at 8:20:13 pm

Speaking as an old dog, I don't think the point of the analogy is that old dogs can't learn new tricks. I think it's more that many of them don't WANT to learn new tricks. Which is entirely up to them. But many times they'll then diss the new tricks without really knowing much about them because, well, they haven't taken the time to learn them.

One of my clients, who does his own rough soundbite cuts, when I showed him how the magnetic timeline worked just after FCPX was first released, commented "That's great! Why didn't it always work that way?" I think people learning to edit accept a newer (and/or different) process without preconceptions.

Best,
John

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 23, 2013 at 8:30:25 pm

[John Godwin] "when I showed him how the magnetic timeline worked just after FCPX was first released, commented "That's great! Why didn't it always work that way?"

Except that it did, if you think of just the primary storyline without connected clips. Maybe more hidden and not as elegant, of course. In fact, Media Composer had a rudimentary form of that capability in its earliest versions.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

John Godwin
on Aug 23, 2013 at 8:52:52 pm

I have only a passing acquaintance with media composer, but I can infer that 1) perhaps it was entirely too rudimentary (adequate tech not yet existing) or 2) the concepts of timeline editing then took a seriously wrong turn?

Beats me. I just was making the point that old dogs make their own choices. I really hated DSLRs, especially after having to actually shoot with them, but more power to the people who like them. And I never questioned their professionalism or that some talented people could turn out some really beautiful work using those tools.

I'm pretty pleased that the general attitudes here about FCPX have shifted from mostly horror to wary acceptance and anticipation, at least as I read it.

Best,
John

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 23, 2013 at 8:56:21 pm

[John Godwin] "I have only a passing acquaintance with media composer,"

My point wasn't just about MC, but also FCP "legacy" had (and still has) that capability. It's just not the default operation.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

John Godwin
on Aug 23, 2013 at 9:24:17 pm

I tried using it in FCP7 as few times and, as best I recall, the implementation was not remotely as functional as FCPX, what with everything shifting out of sync most of the time. So, I really never took to it. Secondary storylines have their awkward moments but by and large I find them immensely useful, and fast.

Best,
John

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Aug 23, 2013 at 7:21:10 pm

Thanks for the level headed "this is better than that" debunking. I've had tons of fun both surfing and boogie boarding but it's up to the individual to decide which is "better".

Thus far there have been no Oscar or Emmy winning shows cut "trackless" while FCP legacy has a stellar lineage of both. In fact one of the more famous FCP duo's, the Coen's, have remained track based via Premiere CC.

So which is "better"?

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Aug 23, 2013 at 7:27:43 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "Thus far there have been no Oscar or Emmy winning shows cut "trackless" while FCP legacy has a stellar lineage of both. In fact one of the more famous FCP duo's, the Coen's, have remained track based via Premiere CC.

So which is "better"?
"

The one that suits your personal workflow - end of story!

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Aug 24, 2013 at 12:42:47 am

[Steve Connor] "The one that suits your personal workflow - end of story!"

I mostly cut corporate stuff and over time I've used Premiere, Media Composer, Sony Vegas, Final Cut 7, Media 100, Edius, and probably a few I've forgotten about. I tried FCPX the day it was released and it was love at first sight.

I sat at the desk and thought Apple must have read my mind. This was exactly the way I wanted an NLE to work. Maybe it didn't do everything I needed yet but I completely understood the magnetic timeline and knew from day one I was never going back to a 'traditional' NLE.

I understand that not every NLE suits every editor's workflow but it still amazes me that after all this time people still seem to take great pleasure in finding FCPX's every flaw and shouting it to the world.

And while this thread may have sparked a little more of that debate, It's great to see that while the original poster may not be able to adapt to FCPX, or adapt FCPX to his way of working, at least he gave it a try.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Aug 23, 2013 at 7:47:17 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "Thus far there have been no Oscar or Emmy winning shows cut "trackless" while FCP legacy has a stellar lineage of both. In fact one of the more famous FCP duo's, the Coen's, have remained track based via Premiere CC. "

That's sort of a silly line of reasoning Lance. And my guess would be that the Coen's moved to Pr simply because it's so similar to FCP "classic". Very little learning curve, so no slowing down. Especially if they had started the cut in FCP. Anyway, they're starting to cut porn in X now, (found by Shane Ross via Alex 4D) so it's only a matter of time before it becomes the new standard bearer. :-D

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Aug 23, 2013 at 7:52:55 pm

[Charlie Austin] "they're starting to cut pron in X now, (found by Shane Ross via Alex 4D) so it's only a matter of time before it becomes the new standard bearer. :-D
"

Don't you mean Final Cut Pro XXX?

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Aug 23, 2013 at 7:53:51 pm

[Steve Connor] "Don't you mean Final Cut Pro XXX?"

I'm pretty sure that's the big surprise apple has in store for the next release!

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Aug 23, 2013 at 8:13:22 pm

[Steve Connor] "Don't you mean Final Cut Pro XXX?"

That really puts a new spin on the Audition Feature.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 24, 2013 at 1:27:28 am

[Andy Neil] "[Steve Connor] "Don't you mean Final Cut Pro XXX?"

That really puts a new spin on the Audition Feature."

Thanks both of you for making the necessary puns.

This way I don't have to resort to a phrase like "we're finally seeing some cracks in the final dykes holding back FCP-X acceptance..."

oops.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Aug 23, 2013 at 8:27:25 pm

"Very little learning curve, so no slowing down..."

Well put.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

Sandeep Sajeev
on Aug 23, 2013 at 9:56:08 pm

We are looking for an expert FCPX ADULT movies editor . Great opportunity to become part of an established adult web company . Editor MUST be able to work on Motion/AE and GreenScreen footage . Plus should be able to create custom Authoring , trailers, credits etc for DVDs .

FCPX/Motion does have a great Keyer.

Have to say I'm a bit surprised that a skin flick would need someone in post pulling Keys...

And DVD Authoring? Who is still buying porno DVDs?

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Aug 24, 2013 at 3:01:09 am

Oh, my. Was FUN's "We Are Young" playing in the background as you wrote up this analogy? I know you guy's just don't believe it, but there are situations where X is an inferior choice. If you don't run into those situations, then you can't see it, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. Sometimes there are reasons that you actually need bins, not just prefer them. For some of the things I have to regularly do, bins that I can arrange are going to be much faster and much more serviceable than not having bins.

X is great for lots of stuff, but not everything. I find it so difficult to understand why you guys work so hard to justify your choice with these odd analogies. Yes, for some people it is a matter of taste, but for some situations it just doesn't work as well as other options. Maybe its because the shout down was so hard and heavy up front, but going "you guys are water skis, and we're wake boards," or "you guys are Kubrick-heads, but we're totally Joss Whedon" is just madness.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Aug 24, 2013 at 5:20:02 pm

Concur - and the Premiere CC bins with their infinitely scalable/scrubbable thumbnails are the best bins I've seen to date...

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

Mark Gillett
on Dec 27, 2013 at 11:20:08 pm

Bret, that was the best analogy I have read yet on FCPX... The problem is humans come in two mind sets with regard to learning. Closed and open. Closed mindset sadly will reach a certain level of expertise but does not like to make mistakes. And this alone prevents progress.. Of all the editors I have met, hired or worked with, the closed ones have always been the most limited.. And those are also the ones who will reject FCPX. I am not saying that I think its a better tool, but those who have gone on to change now edit at a much faster rate than before..

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Aug 24, 2013 at 1:40:51 am

[Steve Connor] "I don't think that CS6 matches up particularly well to FCP7 in a lot of respects, however Premiere Pro CC is much better - but you have to rent it!
"

I don't know. I found CS6 to be pretty close. CC is definitely closer, but Pr 6 is definitely FCP7 adjacent.

Return to posts index

Douglas K. Dempsey
on Aug 23, 2013 at 10:10:49 am

I'm doing fairly low-budget docu stuff, mostly short form, with FCPX. I don't have an issue with Timeline behavior; I agree with Steve that it's probably just getting used to it.

Many people posting on this forum have complained about re-creating their FCP7 work methods, e.g. shunting various clips off to the right within a sequence, as they build the timeline. Using the timeline as an active "workbench" in other words.

I do this all the time in X, and find it actually easier in many ways. You just need to develop your own little techniques. For example, I will select and opt-cmd-up arrow ("Lift From Primary Storyline") various clips or trims that I have decided NOT to use, but want to keep close by and visible as outtakes... because I may reconstitute them into the edit at any moment.

Once I am done pulling out these "non-selects" from a section of the edit, I will drag and select them all, hit cmd-G to make them into a single "secondary storyline" container, and drop that item at the end of my timeline, after a title "Outtakes." I can shuffle that collection of clips -- still in the original order that I worked on them -- around in the timeline, copy to another timeline, copy or pull an individual clip out of the container. Eventually, when I'm near my fine cut, and have only real "keepers" in my outtakes, e.g. an alt sequence I may want to show to a client, I will make the outtakes into a compound clip and delete it from my timeline/workbench. It's up there in Event Library if I need to access it.

When I do a delicate edit, with overlaps, layers, transitions, effects and 4 or 5 pieces of detached audio that are overlapping and "mixed" f... I will collapse that entire section into a compound clip (opt-G).

The nesting of compound clips is so much better than in FCP7 that it has become an everyday tool. You can delete a CC from the timeline at any time; it exists in the Event Library when you need it. When the CCs are in your timeline, you can double-click and punch in at any time to tweak your mix, effects, etc, back out seamlessly.

Probably the first thing to get your head around is just stop thinking of the word "tracks." Once you treat everything as a media "object" -- video, audio, A/V combo, title, graphic/still -- you can be happy shuffling things around.

It seems to me a pleasant and easy to use "think while you work" creative environment.

If you are doing the more technical and mundane aspects of building tracks into export-able media for other editors/collaborators ... e.g. preparing a raw edit that must be sent to an After Effects artist or ProTools artist ... then you probably should have Premiere CC or a copy of Legacy for that kind of work.

Doug D

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 23, 2013 at 12:23:15 pm

I agree with each side here. I would suggest X is also not for Mark. But, the most disconcerting timeline behavior is the tendency for connected clips to randomly move in a vertical re-arrangement whenever you add new and overlapping connected clips. There doesn't appear to be anyway to control this, so your timeline becomes a mess. You end up organizing after the fact, as opposed to a track-based system, where you control that through patching before making the edit.

Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Aug 23, 2013 at 2:25:16 pm

[Oliver Peters] "the most disconcerting timeline behavior is the tendency for connected clips to randomly move in a vertical re-arrangement whenever you add new and overlapping connected clips."

Can you give an example of this, Oliver? Of the random nature I mean? I don't really see this with my work so I'm curious what this means.

Andy

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 23, 2013 at 3:31:44 pm

[Andy Neil] "Can you give an example of this, Oliver? Of the random nature I mean? I don't really see this with my work so I'm curious what this means."

Sure. You have series of connected sound clips - SFX, VO, etc. These overlap, so the clips tend to cascade vertically. Now you add another connected clip, such as a music cue. Depending on where you add the clip, it is placed above, below or somewhere in between other clips in this cascade. Thus, shifting clips up or down.

On video, I have connected clips. I want to add an adjustment layer as the topmost clip. Same thing. Most of the time it is placed below rather than above, which means you have to take an extra step to move it up. Sometimes when you do this, not all clips are re-stacked. Sometimes a few simply stay above and you have to then select these and manually move them below.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Aug 23, 2013 at 4:20:50 pm

I just haven't noticed this behavior as "random". As far as I've noticed, the placement was consistent to the position of other connected clips in the timeline and the overall length of the clip you're placing in the timeline.

Andy

Return to posts index

Jacob Brown
on Aug 23, 2013 at 5:09:22 pm

Mark,

It's really not about using position tool and trying to edit in a "track" way. I do a lot of music video type of fashion film stuff that has me layering 3-4 video clips sync'd to music, and I shared some initial frustration in figuring out how to not have these screw up when i first started on X.

However I found that thinking about things Vertically -- what is happening vertically in that slice of time -- was the shift that made it click and made it powerful.

Instead of the position tool, most of the time its about using the holding the "`" key to leave connected clips in place as you move clip in primary timeline. About using secondary storylines. And about "lifting clips from storyline" tweeking them, and then overwriting back into the slot the lifting holds for them.

jacob

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 23, 2013 at 5:50:21 pm

[Jacob Brown] "However I found that thinking about things Vertically -- what is happening vertically in that slice of time -- was the shift that made it click and made it powerful."

Yes.

Vertically is a great way to think of it, but X has awesome horizontal controls as well, and they work completely differently than what a track based timeline.

X is about knowing what part of the timeline you want to move, and how to achieve it.

Tracked timelines usually have you bring everything with or have you do a bunch of clicks to lock or select exactly what it is, and what isn't moving. Parts of your timeline are locked together even if you don't want them to be as it is the nature of tracks to simultaneously separate groups of objects that you may or may not want together.

X has all of this, too, it just works differently and most of the time, the relationships are defined in a different way than tracks (horizontal) and time (vertical). Secondary storylines are tracks, they just don't extend from frame zero to frame end. This is a big difference. Once you learn that you are working (vertically) on sections of the video you start to understand how X works up and down, left and right. Once you understand how the timeline moves, you start to understand how powerful (and fast) it can be.

Connected clips are also something to get used to. Before the tilde key upgrade, moving things around in X took more steps, but now, the tilde key makes things much easier and more fluid.

My first real world dialog project was an absolute joy to cut in X. I was able to move so fast, and try more options than I could in any other program, especially with the help of Auditions. Essentially, it helped me to view more options in a shorter amount of time, but also store all of those options with minimal fuss, all in the timeline. It helps me be more creative. Go figure.

But, as has been said, if it's not working for you, CS6 is your option if you don't want the Creative Cloud.

FCP7 still works, too.

Return to posts index

Tony Corapi
on Aug 23, 2013 at 6:22:31 pm

I think some of the frustration for me at times working in the timeline is how connected clips behave vertically. I think it's basically because the Primary storyline does not also move vertically ( up or down) so acts like a wall if you will. Above the Primary (usually reserved for the video but not always) clips always jump up out of the way because the the Primary is locked and they don't have any other direction to go.So if if you have 2 connected clips A and B, if you want to extend the end point of clip A, clip B jumps up vertically in exact opposite direction I want it to go because now I have to move it right or edit the in point of B back to see the new end point of A. If I want to take the in point of B and drag it left A jumps up out of the way when I would rather have it jump down out of the way. Ironically if I put those clips below the Primary (normally where the audio goes) they behave the way I normally would expect their behavior. I think it would be helpful if you could use a modifier key let's say holding the up or down arrow as your extending a connected clip to have the clips move out of your way in the direction you want.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 23, 2013 at 7:00:38 pm

[Tony Corapi] "So if if you have 2 connected clips A and B, if you want to extend the end point of clip A, clip B jumps up vertically in exact opposite direction I want it to go because now I have to move it right or edit the in point of B back to see the new end point of A."

This is exactly a case for secondary storylines.

You can even j/l cut audio just like the primary, or use trim modes just like the primary.

Hold g, kiss the edge of one connected clip to the edge of the another connected clip, and a secondary is created instantly, select the trim point with mouse, use bracket and forward slash to select the side you'd like to move, and trim using the comma and period, or skim and shift-x to extend, etc.

It is true, the FCPX needs better navigation between the "levels" when not using the mouse. Smoke does this remarkably well.

Return to posts index

Tony Corapi
on Aug 24, 2013 at 4:12:11 pm

I understand what you are saying Jeremy. I do use secondary story lines as you described. I guess my point was that the basic logic of the behavior of connected clips above the Primary is backwards to me. It just seems more logical to me that as I am extending the length of a clip that the software would understand the priority that it is the top layer (track) so as far as I extended it, clips should get out of the way by lowering and the steps you have to take to fix that now (like holding the Shift key and raise that clip up over) would become unnecessary.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 24, 2013 at 4:24:53 pm

[Tony Corapi] "I understand what you are saying Jeremy. I do use secondary story lines as you described. I guess my point was that the basic logic of the behavior of connected clips above the Primary is backwards to me. It just seems more logical to me that as I am extending the length of a clip that the software would understand the priority that it is the top layer (track) so as far as I extended it, clips should get out of the way by lowering and the steps you have to take to fix that now (like holding the Shift key and raise that clip up over) would become unnecessary.
"

I hear you, there are certainly nuances to work out, like keyboard navigation of layers for both moving and selecting, but for now a secondary storyline solves the problem as it defines the relationship between all of the clips.

I really enjoy FCPX's collision avoidance, even if it means a bit of repair afterwords. It's not perfect, but it can only get better from here. I, like you, really wish I could select a layer, and hit option-up or shift-up or some modifier-up (page down, page up) to move layers around. We already have the overwrite to and remove from storyline command, so we know the interface is capable of it.

Return to posts index

Tony Corapi
on Aug 24, 2013 at 4:49:03 pm

I completely agree with you. There is a lot to like. I have been editing on it for a year and half now (broadcast TV commercials mostly) and I hope it keeps progressing. It's only once and awhile when the clips start jumping out of the way that it reminds me of when I use to bring home a bunch of helium balloons for my daughters birthday parties when they were little. Me trying to get through the front door with all of them. I've got control, but not quite.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Aug 25, 2013 at 4:34:11 am

[Tony Corapi] "it reminds me of when I use to bring home a bunch of helium balloons for my daughters birthday parties when they were little. "

What a lovely metaphor!

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Aug 23, 2013 at 9:33:08 pm

[Tony Corapi] "I think some of the frustration for me at times working in the timeline is how connected clips behave vertically. I think it's basically because the Primary storyline does not also move vertically ( up or down) so acts like a wall if you will. Above the Primary (usually reserved for the video but not always) clips always jump up out of the way because the the Primary is locked and they don't have any other direction to go.So if if you have 2 connected clips A and B, if you want to extend the end point of clip A, clip B jumps up vertically in exact opposite direction I want it to go because now I have to move it right or edit the in point of B back to see the new end point of A. If I want to take the in point of B and drag it left A jumps up out of the way when I would rather have it jump down out of the way. Ironically if I put those clips below the Primary (normally where the audio goes) they behave the way I normally would expect their behavior. I think it would be helpful if you could use a modifier key let's say holding the up or down arrow as your extending a connected clip to have the clips move out of your way in the direction you want.
"

for kicks - reading through that again (its really worth trying it) while attempting to put yourself in the space of any completely unaware, trained editor in 2010 is an interesting gag. If you really try it, its quite a read.
I still think the distance apple chose to travel with all of the basic logic and terminology of the timeline is an adoption impediment.
I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the conclusions apple drew - its working for way, way, way too many people - but the degree to which people can now casually describe the multitude of live software editing reactions to any editor's action in the X timeline is weirdly interesting. It's awfully new.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Aug 23, 2013 at 10:13:33 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "but the degree to which people can now casually describe the multitude of live software editing reactions to any editor's action in the X timeline is weirdly interesting. It's awfully new."

lol... X does do some interesting things, which can be very disconcerting if you don't expect it. Like dragging an I or O point on a connected clip, and clips all over the timeline move out of the way in preparation... even if you're not extending the clip into their space. Release the edit point, and they all drop back into place. :-) However, my favorite undocumented "feature" (next to the secret ~ lock combo) is with clip skimming...

When skimming a clip, if you use the arrow keys (or a scroll wheel mapped to L/R arrow) skim to the end of the clip in the timeline... you can keep skimming past the end into the next clip (or into empty space). Try it! :-)

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Aug 23, 2013 at 11:32:51 pm

[Charlie Austin] "lol... X does do some interesting things, which can be very disconcerting if you don't expect it. Like dragging an I or O point on a connected clip, and clips all over the timeline move out of the way in preparation... even if you're not extending the clip into their space. Release the edit point, and they all drop back into place. :-) However, my favorite undocumented "feature" (next to the secret ~ lock combo) is with clip skimming...

When skimming a clip, if you use the arrow keys (or a scroll wheel mapped to L/R arrow) skim to the end of the clip in the timeline... you can keep skimming past the end into the next clip (or into empty space). Try it! :-)
"

sure mate - it's an alladin's cave - I love great parts of it - the fundamental thing that we are all dancing around is whether apple were intellectually bothered to describe a package that could get a basic hold of editing as a discipline. As it currently stood.

I'm not sure that they were. FCPX feels like wilfully exclusionary methodology.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Aug 24, 2013 at 2:08:22 am

It will be interesting to see if a FCPX 10.1 bring with it any "regressionary" changes.

When you're trying to define a new way to edit like this, you may not be able to see how all roads end. And maybe some of the ideas they've proposed don't work out.

It's impossible to know if the dev team ever originally planned to put in an Event Viewer (preview window), or if it was a concession to user demand. Personally I hardly use it.

For instance I think there's a pretty good case to be made for recombining the Project/Event structure into a single file. While the concept has some potential advantages (separating media from "cuts") for multi-user situations- there may be more advantages to a combined structure where there's a better free-flow of metadata between projects and events, since metadata is unquestionably FCPX's strong points.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Aug 23, 2013 at 7:26:49 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "X has all of this, too, it just works differently and most of the time, the relationships are defined in a different way than tracks and time. Secondary storylines are tracks, they just don't extend from frame zero to frame end. This is a big difference. Once you learn that you are working (vertically) on sections of the video you start to understand how X works up and down, left and right. Once you understand how the timeline moves, you start to understand how powerful (and fast) it can be."

Yep. Cutting in X, for me, has been an ongoing process of "discovery" for lack of a better word. Started out trying to emulate track based cutting using only connected clips. It was clunky... Then dove into the primary cautiously... better. (Love popping in and out for tweaks btw). Then started using secondaries, clumsily at first until I figured out how best to use 'em. Now, it's all second nature... except for the things I keep "discovering". There is a lot. :-) I have no problems with clips "unexpectedly" moving, because I know what they're going to do and work accordingly. I do wish there was an option key to paste a clip, specifically video, on top of other connected clips... It used to, but they changed the behavior in .06... that's a little frustrating.

There's certainly room for improvement, but I'm working in FCP 7 this week and it's... frustrating. ;-)

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 23, 2013 at 10:53:08 pm

[Andy Neil] "As far as I've noticed, the placement was consistent to the position of other connected clips in the timeline and the overall length of the clip you're placing in the timeline.
"

Out of curiosity, are you dragging to the timeline or using the "Q" keystroke?

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Aug 24, 2013 at 1:58:48 am

Roles as timeline organization please, Apple.

Return to posts index

tony west
on Aug 24, 2013 at 1:56:57 pm

[Douglas K. Dempsey] "various clips or trims that I have decided NOT to use, but want to keep close by and visible as outtakes... because I may reconstitute them into the edit at any moment.

Once I am done pulling out these "non-selects" from a section of the edit, I will drag and select them all, hit cmd-G to make them into a single "secondary storyline" container, and drop that item at the end of my timeline,"

This is exactly how I work (accept I have remapped my keyboard to make cmd-G just G : )

I never had worked like this in the past because having all that extra stuff in the timeline with tracks would just be too cluttered.

Since the X timeline is so streamlined, which was one of the main points of it in the first place, I will have a bunch of clips sitting there muted that I will move around and try.

Return to posts index

Mark Snow
on Aug 24, 2013 at 2:32:18 pm

Thanks everyone for their opinions, and thank you Lance. I feel less alone now. Looks really that I would have to change my editing with X and that besides me, nobody cares to ease in Scale-transformations inside their NLE... ;)

I think I will really try a project, ehm... excuse me, an event and try to accept X to fancily 'animate' Clips around the storyline when I pull around clips. I will do the most basic transformations with Motion and enjoy the super-fast Instant ColorCorrection.

If after two weeks I still don't get the reason behind the flipping around of Clips vertically and horizontally, then I will move to Premiere CC, even if I also dislike a bit Adobe's emotionless interfaces and the licensing model, as the CC seems really be better.

I will report back! Thanks for your responses! I haven't followed the discussion here (busy learning and enjoying MC6...:) but it seems to me, that the consensus is still the same: quick&dirty: FCPX okay, Hi-End productions; probably not FCPX, but possible.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 24, 2013 at 2:58:10 pm

I don't really know what you consider high end, but fcpx is used in really nice looking television, spots, promos, and sports, some of which I'm sure you have seen if you watch TV.

Fcpx does have ease transformations, sometimes is hard to do anything but an ease in/out. With the browser selected, Shift-T should point you in the right direction.

You can even ease some dissolves.

I really don't care what NLE you use, but you can do pretty much whatever you want with fcpx if you like it. If you don't like it, you won't want to figure it out and that's fine, but people are getting highly visible and professional work done on fcpx.

Return to posts index

Mark Snow
on Aug 24, 2013 at 4:41:28 pm

Thanks Jeremy and Andy (above & below), I will definitively try your Tips!

It's really not that I would argue that people might be able to achieve whatever they can think of with whatever tools they use, I just have to decide once again for a shop, where to go from FCP7 with (hopefully) those new Powermacs... So I was hoping to find the answer in this forum. It seems to me, those guys on X are anxious about them really being on the real deal, and the guys not on X, being anxious to miss out on all the cool action over there (as myself) while both try to convince (themselves) of their choice.

For me, FCPX should just add a slight bit of more complexity, the choice for having tracks with classic timeline-behaviour and "normal" Project management and I would be one happy FCP-X-Fanboy.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Aug 24, 2013 at 5:08:54 pm

[Mark Snow] "the choice for having tracks with classic timeline-behaviour "

I think that is unlikely. Not to say there won't be some improvements to control of visual timeline organization, but traditional "tracks" aren't coming back to X.

[Mark Snow] "and "normal" Project management "

Define "normal". :-) Again, I think there will be improvement/enhancement but at it's core, it is what it is. You can already do all your cuts in CC's in the Event if you want. Maybe they'll add the ability to open multiple floating event library and timeline windows if you need them...

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Aug 25, 2013 at 4:38:20 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "This doesn't mean that people are getting highly visible and professional work done on fcpx."

While I'm tempted to agree (though I actually don't), I'm guessing this is NOT what you meant to say.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 25, 2013 at 4:42:16 am

*Fixed

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Aug 25, 2013 at 4:48:55 am

No! I liked the double negative you were going for, but did not include.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 25, 2013 at 4:54:39 am

I decided to turn the frown the other way around.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Aug 25, 2013 at 4:57:20 am

LOL

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 25, 2013 at 5:03:07 pm

[Chris Harlan] "LOL"

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Aug 24, 2013 at 3:36:44 pm

[Mark Snow] "Looks really that I would have to change my editing with X and that besides me, nobody cares to ease in Scale-transformations inside their NLE... ;)"

If you want to do ease in scale transformations, use the Ken Burns effect inside the crop feature. It's pretty much idiot proof.

Andy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]