FORUMS: list search recent posts

So have you switched to Premiere Pro?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Connor
So have you switched to Premiere Pro?
on Aug 22, 2013 at 9:26:18 am

Due to a technical problem I've been forced to move from FCPX to PPro CC for the next month to cut a 90 minute event documentary project and to be honest I'm finding it a very pleasant experience so far. For example I had to move 900 files to another drive yesterday and PPro found them all again without any prompting!

For me it certainly feels like the NLE that FCP8 may have been, I'm interested to see what other peoples experiences are.

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
Re: So have you switched to Premiere Pro?
on Aug 22, 2013 at 11:02:27 am

No, and for our broadcast work we definitely won't. I am very happy with the way FCPX has been working for us until now, so I don't see any reason to change.

However our film dept. is still on FCP7 and they will join us next year under the same roof. By that time we will decide wether we will go all FCPX or add another system specifically for narrative and documentary editing. Both Avid MC7 and Premiere CC are valid candidates and we will be testing both thoroughly by the end of this year.

Anyway this goes it will be FCPX together with either Avid MC7 or Premiere CC for us, or all FCPX. Much will depend on what the next FCPX update will reveal, and also on how any of these systems perform on the new MacPro. We should know this in a few months, so it's definitely not wise to make any final decisions at this moment.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Aug 22, 2013 at 11:15:27 am

I concur - I've used it now on several projects and really like it a lot. While I like many things about FCPX, I've found that the traditional source/record and bins/sequences workflow is just faster and easier than the method Apple is trying to get us all to change to. I've found Premiere CC to be very fast, flexible and stable and love that it's cross-platform since my current PC is much faster than my MacPro.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
on Aug 22, 2013 at 11:37:17 am

Yes, and I think it's very good. Also CC looks better than CS6, but I won't be getting that. PPro is an easy move on from FCP7, though I still prefer FCP7.

..and anyone not yet settled on new stuff should also check out Edius, another good system.

Bernie

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Aug 22, 2013 at 2:57:20 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "I've found Premiere CC to be very fast, flexible and stable and love that it's cross-platform since my current PC is much faster than my MacPro."

This must be Lance after champagne!

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Aug 22, 2013 at 8:25:25 pm

Nope... still the red stuff lol and I don't mean Adobe cool-aid.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

Greg Jones
on Aug 22, 2013 at 12:02:57 pm

I've been very happy with Premiere Pro CC. It's very responsive. Just did a hour long show with closed captions and it was a very smooth experience. The built in captions alone made Premiere Pro CC an incredible experience.

Greg Jones
D7,Inc
http://www.d7-inc.com

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Aug 22, 2013 at 5:06:58 pm

[Steve Connor] "So have you switched to Premiere Pro?"

Nope. ;-)

[Steve Connor] "For me it certainly feels like the NLE that FCP8 may have been, I'm interested to see what other peoples experiences are."

I agree with you there, and it may very well be better suited at this point for the type of job you're on now. For me though, cutting quick turnaround TV's and trailers/sizzle reels etc, X smokes everything else. I still have to work in 7, and occasionally Pr CC as well, and I find it not pleasant at all now. IMO of course. :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Aug 22, 2013 at 5:11:21 pm

[Charlie Austin] "I agree with you there, and it may very well be better suited at this point for the type of job you're on now. For me though, cutting quick turnaround TV's and trailers/sizzle reels etc, X smokes everything else. I still have to work in 7, and occasionally Pr CC as well, and I find it not pleasant at all now. IMO of course. :-)
"

PPro isn't my preferred choice, FCPX is my primary NLE and it will continue to be, but Adobe have certainly made progress with it and I can see it as a viable alternative for those who, for whatever reason, can't work with FCPX and need to move on from FCP7.

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Aug 22, 2013 at 5:17:03 pm

[Steve Connor] "but Adobe have certainly made progress with it and I can see it as a viable alternative for those who, for whatever reason, can't work with FCPX and need to move on from FCP7."

Definitely. If one prefers a track based NLE and they're coming from FCP "classic", Pr is probably the best choice. FWIW, I don't dislike Pr, it just drives me crazy cutting in it. As does FCP 7. ;-)

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Aug 22, 2013 at 8:21:42 pm

no CC for me yet - but 6 can be pretty irritating in the timeline - twitchy tools and tiny dissolve icons and the patching madness, bunch of other stuff - I've used it on jobs for getting on for a month in bits and pieces now. It's also pretty crashy.

Premiere 7 feels like its it tho basically? I've had sit ins on it and I really like it - I reckon if you're sitting on FCP7, it's pretty much your next.
Because you're really not going to enjoy avid. The through edit icons are actual fcp photocopies, which isn't surprising given a lot of the team has come directly from FCP as was. Also the built in loudness kit turns out to be quite a big deal for commercial? As I got explained to me at length.

Someone pointed out that the previous patching logic - that an FCP user would find insane, is pretty Avid - adobe dropped it like a rock - adobe are executing pretty much solely for the FCP7 editor. still - if you like FCPX, you're not going to like premiere anymore than any other tracked editor like FCP or avid.

also - the premiere effects and geometrics keyframing system is easily the best of any edit system out there.
Weird side note - one of the major supposed soon to be local clients for CC is pulling the brakes a bit after getting into the weeds with CC enterprise terms.

the whole CC mess is about as opaque as its ever been.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Aug 22, 2013 at 9:42:08 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "no CC for me yet - but 6 can be pretty irritating in the timeline - twitchy tools and tiny dissolve icons and the patching madness, bunch of other stuff - I've used it on jobs for getting on for a month in bits and pieces now. It's also pretty crashy."

For me the big thing about CC is the patching is much better.

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 22, 2013 at 10:10:23 pm

I would point out that there are some very nice tricks in PProCC and CS6. For example, you can map the "open in viewer" command to a key, so no need to double-click master clips to load. This is more in comparing to FCP7 and MC than X, of course.

If you like to cut a selects reel as a sequence and then cut from that to a shorter sequence, then simply stack the two timeline tabs above each other. The "canvas" instantly responds to the clip you are on, so you can quickly go back-and-forth between two timelines. Easy to drag selected clips from one to the other. If you leave the effects controls pane open when you do this, it's also super easy to copy & paste effects between timelines.

Also a very nice built-in curves tools for the color correction crowd. Many of the NI FxF filters and a lot of those from their partner developers also show up in PPro.

The new Link & Locate function seems to be one of the best I've seen in an NLE. Very versatile when you need to relink to different media, as in going offline to online. Not as opaque as X or MC.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Aug 23, 2013 at 3:48:05 am

Yeah I agree about the new re-linking, so fast and easy - nothing like re-linking in FCPX which requires a lot of manual drilling down before it can actually "search" for a file.

So many little things to like about CC like using the mouse wheel to expand/shrink a track, scalable thumbnails in the bins and hover scrubbing so nice. Above all is just so fast with the right CUDA card.

For the record I've tested Premiere CC with a GTX 570 gamer card and the new AMD W7000 FirePro card (on a Win 7 workstation) - the GTX blew away the AMD at less than half the price - this makes me wary of the new Mac Pro which is AMD based, my guess is Apple is going to optimize FCPX for AMD but for Premiere nVidia is still king.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 23, 2013 at 3:43:03 pm

[Oliver Peters] "If you like to cut a selects reel as a sequence and then cut from that to a shorter sequence, then simply stack the two timeline tabs above each other. The "canvas" instantly responds to the clip you are on, so you can quickly go back-and-forth between two timelines. Easy to drag selected clips from one to the other. If you leave the effects controls pane open when you do this, it's also super easy to copy & paste effects between timelines."

Premiere Pro CC also now has sequence-to-sequence editing, which I'm sure selects reel editors can also appreciate.

There's a toggle switch on the timeline, the very first one under the timeline's timecode display, called "Insert and overwrite sequences as nests or individual clips."

When it's on, a sequence from the source monitor gets cut into the timeline as a nest (the way it always has in Premiere). When it's off, the clips from the sequence get cut (with effects & layers) into the timeline as clips.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Aug 22, 2013 at 10:14:12 pm

Pretty good for straight editing. Still a cluster f**k for multicam. I wish I could just choose what to work with but in my case it's just not that simple. There is a serious base out there (especially in docs) that is entrenched in FCP 7 and they will be until it finally dies the true death. Same situation with Avid. More and more I use what the project comes to me in. If one comes to me in FCPX then I'll use that.

Tim

Return to posts index

Rocky Robinson
on Aug 23, 2013 at 1:43:19 am

I actually like the FCPX interface, but I've found that Adobe CC just works better than FCPX on my old machine. MacPro 3,1 with Nvidia Gforce 8800, and an AJA card. Maybe a new graphics card would make a huge performance difference? Can't afford to answer that question right now.

So, for me, FCPX was too sluggish all around. And even with some time in it, just feels clumsy for a lot of things. And the project management is a big negative. I mean trying to load everything at once, or make me go hide things, it's just a strange way to work, and a little bit annoying. If I was working one project at a time, it wouldn't be a big deal...But it's not they way I work at my job.

Oh, and the Restoring Window Layout thing was such a huge show stopper for me...Bit hard 3 times for that, so the last time I got around it I finished all my FCPX projects and have been in Adobe since.

I really do need a new machine...Neither program seems as smooth as FCP 7 did. But the CC's got better audio, better integration with Photoshop, I like Media Encoder over Compressor. Tracks and Bins, though I didn't find FCPX's new way of orginizing that offputting, I'm not an organization freak, so it really requires some extra head wrapping around....Not so with Adobe CC.

Multicam in FCPX is da bomb, though. And you can't beat the price.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Aug 23, 2013 at 1:54:49 am

Yeah, I've been cutting with it. I like it well enough, though I'm not deep in yet. My biggest peeve is that there is no button to universally turn linking off, and since I like to work that way, I get a bit resentful at having to hit the option key every time I click on something. Over all, I'm pretty impressed, and if left to my own devices, I could see it becoming my main choice. Avid still trims better, though. I'm hoping to have some time in the coming weeks to just play on both. I haven't cracked MC7 at all yet.

I'm having fun, though, and am enjoying some of the gee-whiz tools.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Aug 23, 2013 at 6:06:58 am

[Chris Harlan] "My biggest peeve is that there is no button to universally turn linking off, and since I like to work that way, I get a bit resentful at having to hit the option key every time I click on something."

Premiere CC has this button (Linked Selection - Q). Lots of other improvements too, like pressing D to select the clip under the playhead. Excellent. Patching is better but still room for improvement, for example, copy/paste on the timeline still doesn't respect track source when pasting, i.e. if I have V1 and V2 enabled and I copy from V2, when I paste it should paste back into V2, not V1 by default.

I liked the 30-day demo a lot. But I find Adobe's new business model completely unacceptable. Back to CS6 until Adobe management comes to their senses. I can wait.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl
vimeo.com/dlawrence/albums

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Aug 23, 2013 at 3:13:11 pm

[David Lawrence] "Back to CS6 until Adobe management comes to their senses. I can wait."

I really hope you're not holding your breath or anything... ;-)

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Aug 24, 2013 at 1:26:44 am

[David Lawrence] "Premiere CC has this button (Linked Selection - Q)"

Wow! I didn't know that. I finally get to play some this weekend, so I'm going to dig a little deeper!

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Aug 24, 2013 at 1:52:23 am

[Chris Harlan] "Wow! I didn't know that. I finally get to play some this weekend, so I'm going to dig a little deeper!"

Actually, by default it's not mapped to the keyboard. Go into Keyboard Shortcuts and search for Linked Selection. There's also a button on the sequence window just to the right of the magnet button for snapping. I mapped it to the Q key because Q was free. But the real goal was to map the keystroke to the center button on my mouse so I could easily toggle linking on and off like I used to do with FCP7. Worked perfectly. Really hope Adobe starts selling software again.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl
vimeo.com/dlawrence/albums

Return to posts index

Michael Hendrix
on Aug 25, 2013 at 1:59:10 pm

Sidenote: Q and W are shortcuts for Heads/Tails edits. You must have a custom keyboard setup.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 23, 2013 at 3:45:13 pm

[Steve Connor] "Due to a technical problem I've been forced to move from FCPX to PPro CC for the next month to cut a 90 minute event documentary project and to be honest I'm finding it a very pleasant experience so far."

Steve, it is a massive breach of etiquette around here to admit to liking more than one NLE at the same time!

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Aug 23, 2013 at 3:47:01 pm

[Walter Soyka] "Steve, it is a massive breach of etiquette around here to admit to liking more than one NLE at the same time!"

I know, fortunately I don't like Avid so the breach is unlikely to get any worse

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 23, 2013 at 4:11:30 pm

[Steve Connor] "I know, fortunately I don't like Avid so the breach is unlikely to get any worse"

Better not try Smoke, then! It's very cool and you wouldn't want to accidentally like three NLEs!

What is the world coming to?

[Steve Connor] "For me it certainly feels like the NLE that FCP8 may have been, I'm interested to see what other peoples experiences are."

I'm using Premiere and a bit of Smoke (more for compositing in editorial context, not straight-up editorial). I haven't touched FCP7 in a year. FCPX is very nice, but I feel like my kind of work doesn't really exploit its best strengths.

Since I don't do a lot of creative editorial anymore, I look for different things in an NLE than most folks here. Ae is my main tool, and I like Premiere for its Adobe feel and easy integration with Ae (not just dynamic link, but copy and paste, too). I like the way XMP metadata works across the suite. I like Pr's large raster size abilities and direct image sequence support. There are lots of little improvements in CC over CS6 that make a big difference in feel.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Aug 23, 2013 at 7:32:43 pm

the way it handles image sequences is stunning - I got a cinematic game trailer rendered out of nuke as sequential 8MB per frame TIFFs and it played back like it was a MOV. I was genuinely shocked.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Aug 24, 2013 at 2:01:58 am

[Walter Soyka] "FCPX is very nice, but I feel like my kind of work doesn't really exploit its best strengths."

Seriously?! What a skier!

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Aug 25, 2013 at 8:47:20 am

Just to bookend this excellent thread. I'm now back to editing on FCPX, Apple support contacted me directly about my issue and once again I'm happily trackless!

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 25, 2013 at 7:04:47 pm

[Steve Connor] "Just to bookend this excellent thread. I'm now back to editing on FCPX, Apple support contacted me directly about my issue and once again I'm happily trackless!"

What was the fix?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]